The Rumour Thread

20 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

As far as tomb kings vs ossiarchs... Yeah the ossiarchs are clearly the spiritual successor faction and we can really hope for anything more. That said they don't really do much to scratch the actual Tomb King fan's itch. There are no mummies, no chariots, no actual skeletons, the aesthetic is watered down and confused. What appealed to me so much with TK is entirely lacking in ossiarchs.

I actually really like some of the reboots, AoS-ified and turned up to 13. 
I’ve been waiting on new high elves since AoS got announced. But now that te Lumineth are here and I’ve got one of their kits I realized this doesn’t fill the hole the high elves left. I really like some of the Lumineth models, but it just isn’t the same and I guess they aren’t meant to be. Nostalgia is an odd thing I guess. 

since AoS I’ve used all the freedom it grants to go all in on my own slaaneshi elves. Making story driven conversions based around a story of an art loving elf lord who tried to become a daemon in order to survive the end times and keep on loving his art collection.  Allthough this project feels almost finished, I still really like Slaanesh as a faction and I am looking forward to new mortals. Because they don’t need to feed my nostalgia, I can get way more excited about them. 

Edited by elfhead
  • Like 4

I don't understand the argument that Bonereapers are meant to be the "new" Tomb Kings. Other than being undead there aren't any similarities between them at all. Has GW ever stated that's what they were meant to be? As far as I can tell it's an idea only purported by the fanbase.

I don't think we're ever getting new Tomb Kings (outside of the Old World, and even that's an If), but saying Bonereapers are their successor is like saying Deepkin are the High Elf successors because they're both elves that interact with water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

As far as tomb kings vs ossiarchs... Yeah the ossiarchs are clearly the spiritual successor faction and we can really hope for anything more. That said they don't really do much to scratch the actual Tomb King fan's itch. There are no mummies, no chariots, no actual skeletons, the aesthetic is watered down and confused. What appealed to me so much with TK is entirely lacking in ossiarchs.

they are a perfectly fine faction, and stand on their own merits but they aren't a good replacement od expansion like other recent reboots have been!

100% agree. I like OBR on their own merits, but they have nothing to offer to me as a Tomb Kings fan. It's not like High Elves and Lumineth, where they definitely work as a replacement (and even they are too far removed for a lot of people).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Honestly to my mind four new plastic kits for Slaanesh mortals wouldn’t count as ‘very small’ and would be enough to make them more diverse than, say, Nurgle mortals. Or Ironjawz or Fyreslayers.

Hoping’s good but I’d almost reduce that to Sigvald and a box or two along with the Direchasm models. I’d be reluctant to speak confidently about potential new unit types based on what’s present in the WHU warband, as much as they usually hew fairly close to regular AoS troop types, it’s not always the case when it’s a “new” faction. Very little of the Darkoath warband found its way into StD for example.

Not saying we won’t have archers, spearmen and Slaangors but just that tempering expectations would be good, if that’s not throwing cold water even before the party’s started.

In my brain the archers and the melee infantry can be made from the same box but that is sadly not how GW rolls these days... which is why I included them separately. And I did state hopefully Slaangors, so I am really expecting maybe a single unit but hoping for the others as well.

I will confess that I was largely wish listing in my speculation and half of it is in jest. Although as per usual my Malerion prediction will be proven right, as no matter what is released I am proxying it for Malerion! 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

I don't understand the argument that Bonereapers are meant to be the "new" Tomb Kings. Other than being undead there aren't any similarities between them at all. Has GW ever stated that's what they were meant to be? As far as I can tell it's an idea only purported by the fanbase.

I don't think we're ever getting new Tomb Kings (outside of the Old World, and even that's an If), but saying Bonereapers are their successor is like saying Deepkin are the High Elf successors because they're both elves that interact with water.

I think the successor argument comes from the thematic elements they utilise - they are visually akin to legions of skeletons, like the Tomb Kings, and are also large, humanoid constructs, which again were a major element of the Tomb King's unique style - particularly over the more "fleshy" and traditional Undead of the Vampire Counts. Add into this some of the specifics - they have a priestly caste dedicated to the creation and maintenance of the Bonereapers, who are distinct from the military commanders (which seems like a very deliberate nod to the Liche Priests, and again sets them apart from the Legions of Nagash where animator and commander are frequently one and the same) - they are supported by a large construct monster (like the Tomb Scorpion/Bone Giant/Sphinxes) and by a Catapult that can fire Screaming Skulls (this one being perhaps the most obvious nod to the Tomb Kings). Then there are a few of the design nods, like their scenery piece being a monolith/stele marking out the edges/key points of Bonereaper territory, and the use of cartoushes as a way of writing "language" ritually.

They are definitely not just an AoS version of Fantasy Egyptian Mummies and Skeletons, and for fans of Tomb Kings I can see how the comparison to the Tomb Kings seems entirely made up and unsubstantiated. Particularly as they lack a lot of the key design notes that made the Tomb Kings quite so unique - there's no light cavalry or chariots, and perhaps most obviously there's no iconic skeleton bowmen. However, I think dismissing the similarities as "they are both just Undead" is also a bit too simplistic. For me personally, it comes down to the use of the word "successor" - using it to mean "these are the New Tomb Kings" is obviously not going to work, and does a disservice to what is unique about the Bonereapers and what was unique about the Tomb Kings. But the son is not the father. Just as the Empire was not the same beast as the Tribes that Sigmar united, just as the Lumineth are not the High Elves, and just as the Byzantine Empire was not the Imperial Roman Empire, the Bonereapers are a successor - a group that takes certain parts of what came before but into a new age for a new purpose.

(Also as an aside, I think that a big part of the design decisions for the Idoneth were a slight joke/reference to two seperate bits of WFB lore - they are in lore quite literally High Elf successors; Teclis created them to be exactly that, and even now, having fled dad's blinding wrath and made themselves into something new, the myths they were taught of Dragon Princes and Elven Cavalry still forms the very heart of how the Idoneth make war, and so they are clearly a nod to the High Elves that were (particularly the "sea" Elves, back when that distinction mattered). But they are also, I think, a nod to the endless jokes and lore easter eggs about Fishmen in WFB. Sea Elves who are also the mysterious Fish People in the deep trenches. And that amuses me more than perhaps it should)

• Like 12

4 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

their spiritual successor, Bonereapers have some of the same elements and themes to make them similar to their predecessor but they are not a direct continuation of them. GW language and design of them was clearly using homage to the old army. 

PREVIEW PRESHOW STARTING NOW

As normal there's around 15mins from now till the hour where we get some pre-show chatter from the people at GW then it will be launching into the reveals for the preview. Catch them now on TWITCH and remember that after each reveal it will be updated with photos onto the main GW community site as well. 

https://www.twitch.tv/warhammer

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/16/get-ready-for-decadence-decay/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dreddships said:

On terms of that mystery sorcerer, wouldn't be surprised if it's a part of the Warcry/Shadespire teaser.

Possibly part of a new release of the Mercs + Monsters for the Catacombs era or more likely part of the Beastgrave warband teasers

well there is no Warcry for this preview

Edited by novakai

ovLenMAjKWjnb4BB.jpg

No confirmation of his size, but they did say he is bigger than the original metal model. Yes this is all plastic. 

For those interested he also comes with Merry and Pippin who can be on foot on their own bases AND on treebeard. Also the two hobbits are a bit taller than the other hobbies in the range (a hint at referring to their drinking of the Ent Draught)

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3