The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

I am fairly certain that Malerion is a Vampirate-Demon Prince-Dragon-Primarch-Kung Fu Master from beyond the moon! 

I will be very disappointed if that's not the case...

35 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Only thing I want in 3.0 is to tone down shooting. I primarily play AoS instead of 40k because it is (was) melee and magic focused. I think something simple, like if you're outside of 3" from an enemy but shooting into melee combat you're -1 to hit or maybe have a chance of hitting your own guys that are engaged in melee.

From  KO player perspective, I completely agree with you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

If you just care about models there is a pretty strong chance underworlds season 4 will feature deepkin.

There is a low chance warcry will have a deepkin warband (on the basis they will probably do destruction and death ones first, plus the next order one is not likely to be elves again).

Otherwise I suspect one day, maybe next year, there will be a single character released in a box set (I'd bet embaillor) as most battletome armies seem to get that eventually.

Plus 3rd edition means an inevitable new battletome which may or may not coincide with a new model (likely late 2021).

The lack of rumour engines corresponding to deepkin like features makes me think we're a way off yet. With the exception of that crab claw which might be from an underworlds warband.

I was talking about new models across all armies for Broken Realms!  Trust me, I’m eagerly awaiting my Deepkin underworlds warband. 

43 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Only thing I want in 3.0 is to tone down shooting. I primarily play AoS instead of 40k because it is (was) melee and magic focused. I think something simple, like if you're outside of 3" from an enemy but shooting into melee combat you're -1 to hit or maybe have a chance of hitting your own guys that are engaged in melee.

Toning down the battletomes guilty of taking shooting too far is probably the solution that's better for the game overall but yeah shooting is a bit of a problem at the moment. It is a problem that might solve itself over time though as it does have natural predators but the tournament scene has been largely on lockdown since the release of the guilty battletomes. If I were to make changes to shooting I would actually update look our sir and line of sight. Strengthen look out sir somehow (-1 to hit and on a 4+?/5+? let the other unit take the hit). Update line of sight so that larger bases block line of sight to smaller bases regardless of the pose/height of the models (with monsters not being able to benefit).

The only other rule changes I would like to see is one to "fix" the 25mm base issue (although I still prefer the current rules to something complex), and a complete overhaul of terrain rules. If the major changes involved in the next edition are related to terrain stuff I will be very happy.

So after getting my hands on the Son's book, I think I've found a number of interesting lore bits that MIGHT be hinting at events yet to come,

Spoiler

1. The Breaker tribe artifact of power Enchanted Portcullis has this description: The meta gate that once barred entry to the south tower of Excelsis bears a potent spell of repulsion. Repurposed as armour, it now serves to protect the wearer's "vulnerables" from harm.

2. The next bit is from the account of Clawlord Rikkisquit when he hired One-eyed Grunnock to bust open a stormvault, what's interesting though is what comes out. Described as little cog-scarabs with knives for legs, then a huge metal scream came from the vault door. Cog golem came out hissing steam.

3. KING BRODD IS A SKY TITAN, SKY TITANS ARE STILL REAL AND I CALLED IT!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

I think is more important to rework the terrain, work on secondary objectives and solve the rain of mortal wounds instead of focusing on shooting, that is in the cycle of paper-rock-scissors with DR and “Alpha strike” armies and resistant but slow armies.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

I feel like you're the only KO player that would agree with me, lol..

KO is kinda unique concept tough, it's kinda their defining thing with lot of power coming from warships cannons. And actually GW reigned in Arkanaut Company skyhook spam which I was happy about, shame that Arkos didn`t get some boost in melee. Firepower from ships is also quite swingy - Ironclad being exception here and certainly unit that should go up in points.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ragest said:

I think is more important to rework the terrain, work on secondary objectives and solve the rain of mortal wounds instead of focusing on shooting, that is in the cycle of paper-rock-scissors with DR and “Alpha strike” armies and resistant but slow armies.

Is mortal wound spam something that can be resolved in the rules? Or would this require just overhauls to specific armies and warscrolls?

I feel like Ward Saves/FNP/Deathless minion style rolls could help mitigate mortal wounds but at the risk of every unit randomly having extreme reflexes or random heroic auras. I see this plaguing the few 40k Batreps that I watch, in which even the most basic infantry have several different and poorly devised means of mitigating damage.

Edited by Neverchosen

6 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Is mortal wound spam something that can be resolved in the rules? Or would this require just overhauls to specific armies and warscrolls?

I feel like Ward Saves/FNP/Deathless minion style rolls could help mitigate mortal wounds but at the risk of every unit randomly having extreme reflexes or random heroic auras. I see this plaguing the few 40k Batreps that I watch, in which even the most basic infantry have several different and poorly devised means of mitigating damage.

I think they ran out of time to limit the MW spam for 3 ed. (Lumineth lmao) and is very difficult to start working on it tome to tome, because that’s gonna end with some unbalance against new armies or new tomes, wich is terrible for sales.

it’s a difficult position and a great work for the dev team, maybe working on saves instead or taking away some mortals? But someone can claim that throwing more dices is boring, wich is true. 
For me, something like the spell “protection of teclis” for Command Points making an aura from de general can be interesting, but i can’t see a clear solution.

• Thanks 2

WILD THEORY TIME

So, we've heard that a quite "small" Slaanesh 40k release was coming, that may only includes new Noise Marines and Daemon Fulgrim. 

What  if GW decided to introduce a Daemon Primarch-level equivalent in AOS (in terms of powers) ? They could make a kit for a Slaanesh entity that could be built either as the Newborn in AOS (we'll probably get a better name) or Daemon Fulgrim in 40k ?

We already know they are both winged, unique (aka "named" characters) and more or less bigger in stature than a .Greater Deamons....

Traditionally, Daemons sell to both games (even the Soul Grinder). That could also explain the delay between Magnus, Mortarion - and Fulgrim and Angron (we also know GW can rework kits as, apparently, the Glottkin design started as the first version of the plastic GUO)...

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

22 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

WILD THEORY TIME

So, we've heard that a quite "small" Slaanesh 40k release was coming, that may only includes new Noise Marines and Daemon Fulgrim. 

What  if GW decided to introduce a Daemon Primarch-level equivalent in AOS (in terms of powers) ? They could make a kit for a Slaanesh entity that could be built either as the Newborn in AOS (we'll probably get a better name) or Daemon Fulgrim in 40k ?

We already know they are both winged, unique (aka "named" characters) and more or less bigger in stature than a .Greater Deamons....

Traditionally, Daemons sell to both games (even the Soul Grinder). That could also explain the delay between Magnus, Mortarion - and Fulgrim and Angron (we also know GW can rework kits as, apparently, the Glottkin design started as the first version of the plastic GUO)...

Very interesting idea. Not entirely sold on the idea of a kit that could be built either as a daemon primarch or a regular daemon, GW seems to stick to keeping the primarchs their own beasts as prestige kits, like Archaon or Alarielle.

But the point that the Newborn could offer a god or god-adjacent thing which could reasonably be made into a model is very interesting. Something on the order of Nagash or Teclis, rather than having an inevitably disappointing model for Khorne or Nurgle themselves.

38 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

WILD THEORY TIME

Thanks a lot, now I really want a new Galrauch model and it is all your fault! My mind is also buzzing with the possibility of old world chaos heroes that could fill these roles. I really want Azazel and Vardek Crom back but considering your set up they are ironically the least likely to return (as the new Slaanesh entity and Be'lakor fill these roles already). However, I am completely game for an entirely new hero for any of these factions. However, I also feel like the named alt Demon builds fulfill this role to a small extent already. 

I think this is a really cool idea and I will confess I was a little perturbed that in this world of Gods and Heroes so many factions lacked named heroes. However, I really dislike named heroes as I am a big fan of making my army my own but I can just create a character who is so powerful that people mistake them Gotrek or Archaon or maybe an upstart Orruk war-chief posing as Gordrakk . 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

There's much speculation about the next "broken realms" titles, but I think the first mention about the campaign prety much spelled it out:

The aelven gods are rising up to challenge the might of Chaos and the growing power of Death – but like Sigmar’s pantheon before them, they are riven by mistrust and each pursues their own goals and schemes. Teclis, ever aloof and arrogant, seeks to single-handedly save the Mortal Realms. Allarielle, fickle as the seasons, turns on allies as well as enemies, attacking explorers and settlers across Ghyran. And as for Morathi… well, she has a very definite goal in mind – godhood. True to form, she doesn’t intend to let anything stand in her way.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/22/warhammer-preview-online-shadow-iron-broken-realms/

I'm ok if that's the case because I like the dynamic between the elven gods, but I can see why some people would be less than pumped out.

Edited by Jator
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Boar said:

KO is kinda unique concept tough, it's kinda their defining thing with lot of power coming from warships cannons. And actually GW reigned in Arkanaut Company skyhook spam which I was happy about, shame that Arkos didn`t get some boost in melee. Firepower from ships is also quite swingy - Ironclad being exception here and certainly unit that should go up in points.

Arkanauts did get a better save, right? I would prefer it if the melee and ranged profiles were switched, giving Kharadron a melee defense if shooting as a whole was tuned down a bit.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Grim Beasties said:

So after getting my hands on the Son's book, I think I've found a number of interesting lore bits that MIGHT be hinting at events yet to come,

Hide contents

1. The Breaker tribe artifact of power Enchanted Portcullis has this description: The meta gate that once barred entry to the south tower of Excelsis bears a potent spell of repulsion. Repurposed as armour, it now serves to protect the wearer's "vulnerables" from harm.

2. The next bit is from the account of Clawlord Rikkisquit when he hired One-eyed Grunnock to bust open a stormvault, what's interesting though is what comes out. Described as little cog-scarabs with knives for legs, then a huge metal scream came from the vault door. Cog golem came out hissing steam.

3. KING BRODD IS A SKY TITAN, SKY TITANS ARE STILL REAL AND I CALLED IT!

You forget the Chaos Dwarfs hiring their own Gargants and making them into giant metal monsters.

Edited by TheR00zle
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Arkanauts did get a better save, right? I would prefer it if the melee and ranged profiles were switched, giving Kharadron a melee defense if shooting as a whole was tuned down a bit.

When KO 2.0 was announced I hoped for better ships which we got, and especially for Arkanauts to be more melee oriented. We got what we got, almost no melee (we lost 2atk endrinriggers) and we have no choice but to blast. Unfortunately high shooting and/or magic isn't really balanced with current core rules (double turns possibility).

48 minutes ago, Boar said:

When KO 2.0 was announced I hoped for better ships which we got, and especially for Arkanauts to be more melee oriented. We got what we got, almost no melee (we lost 2atk endrinriggers) and we have no choice but to blast. Unfortunately high shooting and/or magic isn't really balanced with current core rules (double turns possibility).

Or some people just have to re-think how the play. For a long time it was all about melee, with the same double turn rules. And in the end there should be at least one good shooting army which can compete at the top level for people who enjoy that playstyle.

Maybe they have to tone down a few outlier combinations,  but I’m not sure if shooting is generally too good. In case of the Stormcast for example, they just reduced points so much, that you now can do things you couldn’t with battalions etc. There weren’t any real rule changes. 

Edited by LuminethMage