The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, pixieproxy said:

Might have something to do with Brexit, importing certain materials might have gone up.

Yeah I was thinking about that too. but I can’t imagine that changes in import cost would account for a (roughly) 30% price increase. (Last one was €125, right?) 

seems more likely to me that they are trying to compensate lower sales than expected by raising prices. Because right now they can’t  scale up production I would imagine. So GW can’t compensate by moving more product. So the other variable is price. 
and surely they must have taken some hit in sales due to COVID. Less releases, lower spendable income world wide, closed shops etc. That can’t all be compensated by increase in online sales. 

or its a long term strategy due to factors we don’t know. 

Somewhat disapointed in the high price they are going for the Warcry boxed set. Though it speaks to me that its a set they hope to sell to existing customers rather than to new customers. It's a shame, but at the same time we know most of that content will likely appear on individual sale fairly fast. Sadly with Morathi and the new duel box next month and the Warcaster Kickstarter wave 2 today I'm totally tapped out. Still that might mean that DoK duel pack will be on sale for the army by the time I get round to having some funds freed up :)

48 minutes ago, pixieproxy said:

Might have something to do with Brexit, importing certain materials might have gone up.

May be that the delivery chains are already changing. But in formal laws and taxes, nothing has changed yet. The big changes will come in January.

I could imagine that they build their price structure so that prices don’t have to suddenly jump up with the beginning of next year. Or maybe they build up capital to weather the inevitable blow next year. Just wild guesses, of course.

I don’t like to derail the thread to a “GW is so expensive”, because we all know this is an expensive hobby.

But they have arbitrarily raised the price like 2 or 3 times just in last year (besstgrave warbands for example).

I know inflation is a thing, they’re not our friends and brexit didn’t help but they’re having a dangerous pattern of increasing the price on every release, making this hobby less and less accesible to new players, which in the end will hurt not only our wallets (remember we’re in a global crisis) but also our hobby communities, I already know about people who will leave or have already left.

Sorry for the wall of text.

/endrant

Edited by Garxia
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

My guess is that they are operating at less than 100% capacity. They are making up for this reduction in sales volume by increasing prices. 

I had hoped that this strategy would prove to be a mistake but if the number of Mega gargants I've seen on twitter is anything to go by people are willing to pay whatever gw charges.  At £100 I would have bought the box but now I'll wait for the warbands to come out individually. 

I am very curious to see if underworlds gets a similar price bump. It has been a product that is aimed at a wider audience. 

I think this price point must reflect that warcry is maybe not a big seller. Knowing the terrain the war bands in this box will eventually be resold individually at some point means this price is almost ludicrous.

I dont think this is going to attract many new customers . And how many veteran warcry players need another core book or flat terrain pieces? Especially at this cost!

The thing that puzzles me with this strategy is that Warcry should be the "gateway drug" to lure new people into the hobby. At this price point this seems harder, also considering that in the skirmish-size category there are quite a few good alternatives with cheaper points of entry

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pixieproxy said:

More like they've had their best year ever and parts of the UK/the world are going into second (albeit shorter term) lockdowns and with them having had such an upsurge during that period, they probably want to take advantage of people potentially grabbing anything they can in a sort of 'hobby project panic' again.

They're likely banking on the whales who buy literally anything making up for the "I'm priced out, ****** this" dropoff.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

There's Brexit and reduced capacity and so forth but GW themselves have been perfectly open about this being "the best year in Games Workshop's history, so far", even taking all those factors into account, so I suspect that these are really figleaf excuses for seeing an opportunity for more profit on particular boxes.

You never love to see it but I have to say that it's particularly sore when it's happening to Warcry and WHU. These are in theory and by GW's own admission meant to be smaller, more affordable ways to collect/play/etc. When they start gouging on the prices even for these games, it's grim and does not bode well for the future, even if they're still more affordable than mainstream AoS.

EDIT: Marcvs said it better than I could. They're shooting their own successful "different levels of entry" strategy in the foot

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

More like they've had their best year ever and parts of the UK/the world are going into second (albeit shorter term) lockdowns and with them having had such an upsurge during that period, they probably want to take advantage of people potentially grabbing anything they can in a sort of 'hobby project panic' again.

They're likely banking on the whales who buy literally anything making up for the "I'm priced out, ****** this" dropoff.

Short term, yes. Viable strategy.

But the whales of today didn’t start as such, I would say. And if fewer people begin collecting, fewer will turn out to develop into the whales of the next generation. Even fewer will begin/make that development if it becomes more difficult to find other new players in their area. Not a viable long-term strategy.

37 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

The thing that puzzles me with this strategy is that Warcry should be the "gateway drug" to lure new people into the hobby. At this price point this seems harder, also considering that in the skirmish-size category there are quite a few good alternatives with cheaper points of entry

I'm thinking they priced the first warcry box as a loss leader and might now view the game as it's own, established thing and treat the second box accordingly. Warcry is not a great entry point anyway, since it requires so much extra stuff. You can start AoS cheaper than warcry by just getting a start collecting box and playing with the core rules. From that perspective, warcry really does not succeed as an entry level product. The individual warbands might be cheaper, but the entry cost is actually higher than AoS proper.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Beastmaster said:

With or without compound words? I just say Fußbodenschleifmaschinenverleih. 😎

If those would count the Herman language would have an infinite amount of words :D

I just read about it and the compound words do not count that‘s why german has such a low wordcount.

@Everyone: Stop defending GW prices. If they felt like it the box would‘ve been 200€. They just want the best of us: our money ;)

Edited by JackStreicher

28 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I'm thinking they priced the first warcry box as a loss leader and might now view the game as it's own, established thing and treat the second box accordingly. Warcry is not a great entry point anyway, since it requires so much extra stuff. You can start AoS cheaper than warcry by just getting a start collecting box and playing with the core rules. From that perspective, warcry really does not succeed as an entry level product. The individual warbands might be cheaper, but the entry cost is actually higher than AoS proper.

Yeah plus Warcry doesn’t use many AoS mechanics either unlike what Killteam does. strength and toughness, lack of charge phase, and no save rolls are just a few

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Thanks, that's an interesting perspective and I fully agree with your first point on pricing. I would say that warcry still seems to be concieved as "entry level" because of the "self contained" nature of the box (no need for a big gaming table, scenery etc),  which you won't have with a start collecting + core rules, plus the much simpler ruelest. Still, it is undeniably true that now the biggest starting box for AoS (or 40k) is much cheaper than the starting box for Warcry.