The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

I won't derail things here (happy to chat in DM or another thread), so my super, super, super short answer is that it's the one artistic expression in a 3D painting hobby that is objectively wrong. By definition of the best examples of the technique, it can *only* look "right" from one highly-specific viewing relationship between the viewer and the object. It's a technique that requires huge amounts of skill (much respect!), but its for 2D surfaces.  It would be like putting the finest bottle of wine in the fuel lines of a lamborghini. Great wine. Great car. Put the wine in your stomach and gas in the car.

You lost me at objectively. 

if I’m painting shadows in my models I dont have to rotate them to correspond to the lamp above the gaming table. 

it looks ‘best’ from one angle and it’s ‘meant’ to viewed from that angle if you want to see the full glory. But it’s not objectively wrong as a technique because it doesn’t look ‘best’ from several angles. 

but it’s all subjective, I’ll agree to that  

also it’s the rumours thread if that doesn’t derail every othe day what the point 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I won't derail things here (happy to chat in DM or another thread), so my super, super, super short answer is that it's the one artistic expression in a 3D painting hobby that is objectively wrong. By definition of the best examples of the technique, it can *only* look "right" from one highly-specific viewing relationship between the viewer and the object. It's a technique that requires huge amounts of skill (much respect!), but its for 2D surfaces.  It would be like putting the finest bottle of wine in the fuel lines of a lamborghini. Great wine. Great car. Put the wine in your stomach and gas in the car.

We would be enemies, you and I!

But a more complete answer - I find that TMM relies heavily on lighting to look good (even if you are layering the metallics with shades.) I do enjoy TMM although I like the punchiness you can control with NMM. Also I like the specific fantasy feeling it evokes - I stick with TMM in my Horus Heresy models, and use that with weathering, etc.

Now in my mind, the one hobby thing I dislike is edge highlighting without respect for the direction of ambient light or material 😄

Edited by Ggom

8 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

I got my Ghur map in the Sons Battletome!!! 😊 No more of my dodgy home made powerpoint maps for my campaigning in the Realm of Beasts! It even has my army's home city of Excelsis on it! Been waiting for this for a long time!

It does!? Beautiful!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sleboda said:

My super, super, super short answer is that it's the one artistic expression in a 3D painting hobby that is objectively wrong.

Agree for sure. Non-metallic metal is quite challenging, traditional metallics are almost always going to be the better option. I have found the technique to be useful is for painting standards and other 2D elements like gold trim on cloth. Only use this technique very rarely though. Sorry, back to rumours... 

• Like 1

So in the news department I am sure everyone has heard of the...troubles...GW is having with the 40k app.  Sort of weird since why not just use Azyr framework?

Anyway, what is fairly concerning is the apparent move to discontinue digital versions of codexes.  The codes from the new books only unlock rules in the app, not the codex itself (can confirm I got both).  This is mind boggling to me, and takes away a lot of enjoyment.  Lets be honest, codexes are good for bathroom breaks!  I don't often encourage digital revolts, but in this case I am very worried GW will (at some point) do the same in AoS, so please if you also enjoy the digital version of the rulebook let GW know now so they don't do in AoS what they've done in 40k.

1 hour ago, Greyshadow said:

I hadn't heard about these issues @Austin, can you elaborate?

I think probably the worst issue is that an app billed as an army builder has no army builder function three months after release.

Then there are the technical problems.  Can't log in and view anything unlocked if not on internet, no support for iPad (app shows as though still on iPhone).  I am admittedly not tracking issues with other OS, so those may be the same/different/in addition to the ones I know of and have encountered.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Austin said:

I think probably the worst issue is that an app billed as an army builder has no army builder function three months after release.

Then there are the technical problems.  Can't log in and view anything unlocked if not on internet, no support for iPad (app shows as though still on iPhone).  I am admittedly not tracking issues with other OS, so those may be the same/different/in addition to the ones I know of and have encountered.

Wonder how they ****** the app up so badly when Battlescribe has worked just fine for free.

Edited by 123lac
  • Like 1

It definitely seems that GW has an idea in mind of roughly how much a "complete" army should cost, and they price the individual components of such an army out in order to reach that total. They don't want any army to be a significantly cheaper option than the others. SoB just takes away their ability to "hide" that cost among overpriced hero and monster units - this is their standard predatory pricing model writ large. At least this release has made a lot more people sit up and take notice of just how far GW is pushing their effective monopoly.

Just a reminder that, as always, the amount of actual plastic you get in a kit has essentially nothing to do with the price of that kit. Plastic is dirt cheap.

• Like 2

That's a fair point, we talk a lot about "we get more plastic from this" or "this has less part" when the fact is the only thing limiting is how many moulds they have to make the model sprues with, cuz plastic is super cheap. Sure paying their designers are expensive and all, and it's great to have a store everywhere (even though it still takes 2 weeks for a model set to ship like 30 miles), and I love the fact that their investing it abck in the company, but how much would it really hurt them to sell an army at a slightly lower price, say 150 (US) dollars, or improve shipping lines to Australia so it isn't 320. Hell, build a factory in America or China or something, but right now they are going back to Old World  poor management.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sttufe said:

That's a fair point, we talk a lot about "we get more plastic from this" or "this has less part" when the fact is the only thing limiting is how many moulds they have to make the model sprues with, cuz plastic is super cheap. Sure paying their designers are expensive and all, and it's great to have a store everywhere (even though it still takes 2 weeks for a model set to ship like 30 miles), and I love the fact that their investing it abck in the company, but how much would it really hurt them to sell an army at a slightly lower price, say 150 (US) dollars, or improve shipping lines to Australia so it isn't 320. Hell, build a factory in America or China or something, but right now they are going back to Old World  poor management.

Hastings put it very well, he said something like this:

“If a Megagargant would have cost 70 GBP I would have bought two and the Bsttletome, jut because I like the models.  That would have been ~ 170 GBP for GW. The way these are priced however, made me spent zero GBP. Well done GW“.

Edit: I feel the same.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, Howdyhedberg said:

I'm quite the opposite, I enjoy those releases! Especially if it's for a faction I'm not getting but want to see the general direction!

I used to love the articles in White dwarf where they showed all of the bits from a new kit painted up. I remember staring at the Fortified Manor one and thinking of all the different things that one could make with them.

• Like 2

Ahem perhaps time to take prices to the pricing thread 

Or perhaps start another one along different price discussion lines; rather than letting rumours get flooded with price chatter. 

Don't forget we also have the general hobby chatter for all your "I just got it here it is its big and shiny and omg I'm converting and painting it" comments :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I wonder what will be Previewed today? More 40K no doubt but perhaps theyll drop the Treeman for Blood Bowl or the Undead Team?

Fingers crossed for an announcement of another Preview next weekend.

Another preview weekend would be great. I would also love if they announced the Catacombs box this weekend!

• Like 1

Shadow Aelves and Soulblight are very much expected by most right now. That said I'd be shocked if we saw another army this soon. Even without Corona rearing its head. Then again Sons and Luminoth were supposed to be released earlier in the year so who knows this could be second army slot time. Then again I can't help but hope that the new Morathi book has more daughters of Khaine new things inside it. Would love to get some Endless Spells or more models even outside of the new snake leader coming in November. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I wonder what will be Previewed today? More 40K no doubt but perhaps theyll drop the Treeman for Blood Bowl or the Undead Team?

Fingers crossed for an announcement of another Preview next weekend.

Id like to see Warcry just because of the things they've previewed that I actually want (Warcry, Shadow and Pain, Broken Realms, Xmas Battleforces) seems to be getting squashed up into a pretty small time period.

The Void Dragon model is the only 40k thing I have any interest in at all... and thats just because I want to convert him into a Celestant-Prime.

As for shadow elves I hope we don't see them for a little while... just seems like going from one big elf release right into another one is just a bit much.

Edited by mojojojo101

3 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Hastings put it very well, he said something like this:

“If a Megagargant would have cost 70 GBP I would have bought two and the Bsttletome, jut because I like the models.  That would have been ~ 170 GBP for GW. The way these are priced however, made me spent zero GBP. Well done GW“.

Edit: I feel the same.

Playing devil’s advocate: 

that means GW needs less Molds, production capacity (which is limited), production resources, storage, transport, etc. 
so if for every Hastings and @JackStreicher that skip it, one @KingBrodd buys two regardless of price, they might still make the same profit. 
we just don’t know enough to really jurge that. 

although personally I agree it’s too much But I can think of a couple of reasons why it would make sense for them. 

• Like 2