The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, Neverchosen said:

Rerolling Ones and Guerrilla Miniature Games have posted their reviews for the Battletome if anyone is interested. I am not entirely certain about the policy of sharing links to such videos and other channels are sure to follow. :) 

Since GW give them those copies I don't think it's against the rules. Plus I've seen  Man Reads Book gets linked loads.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, rosa said:

I really dislike that those "Influencers" receive copies way ahead and share the content in detail weeks before release.

Totally destroys the hype for me...

I mean you can just not go to youtube and not watch them ;)

IT makes sense, GW is marketing and really you only get a glance perhaps a week before its in your hands. For some a few of the clarifications can be really important in making a choice to purchase or not. It's just like the community articles and the like in the run up to a release. 

• Like 6

what makes the Megas another no-go for me is that they are dwarved by Archaon. They are less tall than a Knight castellant and have about the same height as the Glotkin while costing  SO much more.

0944C4D0-FF56-4ADF-82B9-7D16932E25D9.png.3a6aca9ab76152e08b5d65df52de5f81.png
6A66BC26-8E36-46FC-8BA0-8D72C70AC3B2.jpeg.a64a4bf3f4d3820694b1a0b7d1f10907.jpeg

The only thing that‘s mega about them is their price...

Well I am still looking forward to fighting them or getting one Second Hand.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

what makes the Megas another no-go for me is that they are dwarved by Archaon. They are less tall than a Knight castellant and have about the same height as the Glotkin while costing  SO much more.

thanks for that.

I thought that they'd be looking archaon straight in the eye.

If they're only as tall as a teapot knight then i might throttle back a bit longer.

Edited by Kaleb Daark

Wow, much smaller then expected.

Now the pricetag is even more out of place. I mean, the Glottkin is not really gigantic.

Strange...

• Like 5

Agreed on that. I just watched that video as well, and looking at the gargant next to a MB on Maw Krusha - which I recently bought and has an RRP of £70 - they look about the same amount of plastic.

I spent £90 on Silver Tower - a whole game with 51 miniatures. Spending £120 on a single model that isn't even that big just seems utterly ridiculous.

• Like 6

I figure that we might be seeing army wide pricing systems. Ergo for a regular army GW knows you won't buy "as many" big models. So they price them a bit cheaper and make less profit per sale; but make up for it with higher profits on units. Meanwhile for Sons they can't do that trick; all the profit is basically on one kit (since the aleguzzlers are already at a fixed price and the twinpack isn't changing it much). So it might be we are seeing a higher price partly due to the fact that the "army" has to show its profitability and it doesn't have cheaper things in it. 

But that's only a guess at what might be a reason or a contributing factor. I must admit after the photos I'd thought they'd be an inch or two taller than they are. 

• Like 1

The Mantic Giant is £25 and is about the same size, plus resin upgrades for turning 'em into a Frost Giant and such. Something to consider if you don't play at official GW stores.

IMG_0320.JPG

There's also the Conquest Giant who I understand isn't as tall as the Mantic one, but is wider/chunkier.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kaleb Daark said:

thanks for that.

I thought that they'd be looking archaon straight in the eye.

If they're only as tall as a teapot knight then i might throttle back a bit longer.

They're not even tall enough to look Nagash in the eye.  Pics I saw look like the Mega Gargant comes up to about chest-level on Nagash, which isn't that high.  Anyone have a photo of the MG next to the Purple Sun or Balewind Vortex?  Seems like they would be only a head taller than those.

15 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I suspect this rule some will ruin more matched play / tournament games than any other. The arguments and interpretations are going to be bonkers.

I'm more interested to see how it will work with models standing on top of those silly objective circles when the objective gets kicked away and the circle is now in the wrong spot,  stuck under figures, and you can't remove it or place another on the new position without disturbing models.  XD

7 hours ago, Howdyhedberg said:

I'm happy that you can finally get your stuff soon!

I checked the price again, and I think in at least Sweden they have a "reasonable price" (could be cheaper) compared to New Zeeland. 

Thanks mate!!

5 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Congrats! That’s how I felt a few weeks ago. How many have you ordered in the end. 

The Battletome is then only 15 pages less than the Lumineth one. Looking forward to all the new lore in it. 

It's almost a feeling of relief!! Like now I can look forward to whatever's around the corner, Lore wise or models and rest easy knowing that I have finally have what I want and anything new that comes across my path is an added bonus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

The Mantic Giant is £25 and is about the same size, plus resin upgrades for turning 'em into a Frost Giant and such. Something to consider if you don't play at official GW stores.

IMG_0320.JPG

There's also the Conquest Giant who I understand isn't as tall as the Mantic one, but is wider/chunkier.

Wow these are both great I might check them out if I ever go this giant route. I still like the idea of using 6 inch action figures: Darth Kraken Eater and his Teenage Mutant Ninja Gargants!

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, rosa said:

I really dislike that those "Influencers" receive copies way ahead and share the content in detail weeks before release.

Totally destroys the hype for me...

I'm quite the opposite, I enjoy those releases! Especially if it's for a faction I'm not getting but want to see the general direction!

• Like 7

Now that we have the height of the megas we know that the following Mierce items are the right size:

Gomagg

Mjagnir (maybe, hard to say. he is probably shorter but his pose is also not standing upright)

Papworth

Borruk

Old Bill

On another note, I have to say that every time I have the urge to say something critical of this release I feel a twinge of intense guilt because I so very much do not want to rain on @KingBrodd's parade.

4 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

On another note, I have to say that every time I have the urge to say something critical of this release I feel a twinge of intense guilt because I so very much do not want to rain on @KingBrodd's parade.

I'm sure it won't and in a weeks time when people have models in their hands I'm sure we'll see many a giant grace the tables :)

18 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

Now that we have the height of the megas we know that the following Mierce items are the right size:

Gomagg

Mjagnir (maybe, hard to say. he is probably shorter but his pose is also not standing upright)

Papworth

Borruk

Old Bill

Mate criticise away!! I too have my own critiques, including the price, I think they're far overpriced and should be closer to an Imperial Knight or Glottkin.

I'm very happy otherwise and others words wont have an effect on my enjoyment so fire away.

13 minutes ago, Overread said:

I'm sure it won't and in a weeks time when people have models in their hands I'm sure we'll see many a giant grace the tables :)

Exactly. I cannot wait to see everyones paintjobs and more importantly conversions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Rob Hawkins said:

I'm more interested to see how it will work with models standing on top of those silly objective circles when the objective gets kicked away and the circle is now in the wrong spot,  stuck under figures, and you can't remove it or place another on the new position without disturbing models.  XD

Rob, you have just been upgraded a notch on my semi-hero list. ;)

I HAAAAAAATE what those circles do to wreck the immersion factor of the game. If this rule gets them out of our hobby, it will be worth the damage done.

Now, if GW can only give us rules that will kill NMM and the incorrect use of the prefix "meta." Then the hobby will be restored to its rightful, glorious place.  (We'll, once we also get mono-pose, single-piece models back.)

Edit: Germane to other comments, I picked up the book, cards, and new Necron today (plus paints to hit $170 for the $25 free voucher - anyone else enjoying that little recurring perk?). As much as the coasters are cool, $195 is just too far out of whack on the value/$ scale.

It was nice to not have the site crash, so good on GW for being prepared.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rosa said:

Wow, much smaller then expected.

Now the pricetag is even more out of place. I mean, the Glottkin is not really gigantic.

Strange...

Yeah. I know this is a positive place, but I gotta say this is actually a genuine letdown ... because of the price. As I've said, I have no problem paying a premium price for this hobby. It's not the actually price that's disappointing, actually, it's what you get. Within the ecosystem of GW alone, this simply is not a $195 model. As cool as it is, it's not. It's just not (IMO).

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Now, if GW can only give us rules that will kill NMM and the incorrect use of the prefix "meta." Then the hobby will be restored to its rightful, glorious place.  (We'll, once we also get mono-pose, single-piece models back.)

Woah woah woah... you dont mean non metallic metal there do you? What could anyone have against NMM?

Wouldn’t it be great if someone painted a full NMM mega? Mmmmm the amount of irony there to stick in the faces of stormcast players... 🤣🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Ggom said:

Woah woah woah... you dont mean non metallic metal there do you? What could anyone have against NMM?

I won't derail things here (happy to chat in DM or another thread), so my super, super, super short answer is that it's the one artistic expression in a 3D painting hobby that is objectively wrong. By definition of the best examples of the technique, it can *only* look "right" from one highly-specific viewing relationship between the viewer and the object. It's a technique that requires huge amounts of skill (much respect!), but its for 2D surfaces.  It would be like putting the finest bottle of wine in the fuel lines of a lamborghini. Great wine. Great car. Put the wine in your stomach and gas in the car.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Overread said:

I figure that we might be seeing army wide pricing systems. Ergo for a regular army GW knows you won't buy "as many" big models. So they price them a bit cheaper and make less profit per sale; but make up for it with higher profits on units. Meanwhile for Sons they can't do that trick; all the profit is basically on one kit (since the aleguzzlers are already at a fixed price and the twinpack isn't changing it much). So it might be we are seeing a higher price partly due to the fact that the "army" has to show its profitability and it doesn't have cheaper things in it. 

But that's only a guess at what might be a reason or a contributing factor. I must admit after the photos I'd thought they'd be an inch or two taller than they are. 

My gw manager for 20+ years has always asserted quite strongly that price is (at least partially) dictated by how many an individual person is likely to buy for that army. Ie you would buy less elites than you would Battleline, so the elites are priced higher to make up for less sales