The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, JackStreicher said:

Because I am somewhat bound to GW due to loving my armies. By getting rid of them I rid myself of the need to extend my armies any further.

Example: If IDK will get new models I really want to buy them (and I'll propably have to in order to play the army in an effective manner). Yet at that point the Models' value will be vastly outclassed by their prices. What will a Kraken cost? 180€?

And as I said: I am thinking about it.

I paid 80 € for the turtle and I have to admit, I would pay 180 for the kraken, 😆
I hope, nobody from GW is reading this.

• Haha 1

It's quite bizarre given that GW can make one of the best, most customizable and characterful kits, that being the Rockgut Troggoths at £35, and then a year later produce something that follows the same principles but significantly more expensive. When Gitz were released, I was actually shocked at how affordable they were (relatively speaking) for each kit. Same goes for the Dankhold at £40.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

It's quite bizarre given that GW can make one of the best, most customizable and characterful kits, that being the Rockgut Troggoths at £35, and then a year later produce something that follows the same principles but significantly more expensive. When Gitz were released, I was actually shocked at how affordable they were (relatively speaking) for each kit. Same goes for the Dankhold at £40.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing that puts the lie to the idea that a kit's customisability or quantity of spare parts/multiple builds has anything at all to do with its cost.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Beastmaster said:

Makes me actually a bit afraid of my biggest wish, new models for old armies. What if they do release new Yhetees at last, but offer them for a price that just doesn’t feel right at all? Not looking forward to new releases under these circumstances, because I won’t buy them anyway. 

sadly they did price gouge the new Eldar units that came out last year, couple with how badly the Phoenix rising box sold, Eldar players don't think thoose models sold well despite asking for plastic aspect warriors forever

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, novakai said:

sadly they did price gouge the new Eldar units that came out last year, couple with how badly the Phoenix rising box sold, Eldar players don't think thoose models sold well despite asking for plastic aspect warriors forever

I don't even play Eldar and I'm quite saddened by this whole debacle. I don't think it'd be a surprised if we found out Phoenix Rising sold very poorly. While most would agree that it sold poorly due to its pricing and some of the 'junk' models that were included in the box, GW may see the poor sales as there being a very small market for Eldar. If this is the case, there's a good chance they won't see another update for a while. 

All I can say is that I'm glad I don't often play 40K - AoS armies seem to get much better treatment than non-Space Marine armies! 

• Like 2

I hate to jump on the bandwagon but I think those prices will cut the model off for me. I was planning on using one in my latest project and figured they'd cost the same as Archaon/Teclis, but at this price I just can't justify it. Don't even want to try honestly. Ah well, what can you do.

Edit: as for pricing speculation I'm guessing that GW is pricing them for army creation rather than model complexity. I can't remember the points but I'm guessing if you price out a standard sons army and a standard lumineth army they'll come out just about the same. 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fellman said:

Sons of bemath is till cheper then a DoK or a Fyrslayer arme just my 2cent

Yeah, I ran the numbers on those as well, on what seemed like relatively standard 1000pt lists and SoB come out a little cheaper. That said

1. you’re dropping bigger ‘chunks’ so to speak. It’s one thing to pace yourself through 10 witch elves this month, a magmadroth that month or whatever. Lets you build gradually. It’s another when it’s over a hundred quid on one dude that’s half your army. To a degree that’s just different army building styles but SoB do require you to drop a lot at once. (Also we were talking about a Crusade analogue for AoS, well, SoB would really struggle there.)

2. DoK and Fyreslayers are two of the priciest armies to collect and I’ve seen new players baulk at them and switch to other factions precisely because of the costs associated with them. Makes it a less than flattering comparison for SoB.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fellman said:

Sons of bemath is till cheper then a DoK or a Fyrslayer arme just my 2cent

at 2k points and in € prices even a Fyreslayers army ends up being almost 100€ cheaper...

Gargants: 3 mega gargants (450€) + 2 boxes of mancrushers (200€) = 650€ (sure, you have a spare mancrusher)

Fyreslayers: simplified with 55 hearthguard berserkers (385€) + 3 small heroes (75€) + magmadroth (80€) + endless spells (25€) = 565€

• Like 1

I figured they would be around £120 so when you factor in 20% discount from independent retailers they are around £100. 

The same thing happens every time, a kit comes out and we act surprised that the price is high. I don't see it as just buying the kit however, for me it's buying something I can use as an outlet for creativity, to work on as a destresser and shut away the world for a while. Once it's done, I have something to use in games where I have fun with friends and create memories: remember that time a gobbo killed the gargant or remember when the gargant ate so and so. 

I say bring it on! 

• Like 1

I am just saying for those with 3d printers out there, there are some really nice free models out on thingiverse and such, and with the new price hike I might start taking a look at them. You don't need a resin printer, in fact for a mega gargant sized one you would probably be better off with a plastic printer, which costs only 25 dollars more than these SoB. On top of that there is nice terrain, and you can (if your good at modelling and sculpting) simply design your own custom models.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

They just don‘t. GW has boldly increased prices despite COVID-19 and despite having had a record year.

At some point we have put a hold to what the Companies Leadership is doing.

It‘s not the cool people on WHTV that set the prices, it‘s the managers. Justifying anything will hurt the hobby big time very soon if this pricing madness does not stop.

Edit: Heck two of my more or less regular game mates were priced out of the hobby... they play Legions now.

Fellow corporate malcontents you and I. I'm glad someone else sees the wolf through its clothing.

At this point I'm simply buying third-party models to use in my armies---it costs half as much and looks just as good (if not better in scattered cases).

• Like 4

Four sprues does make a bit of a difference, as the closest equivalents are Archaon and the Knight Castellan/Valiant, which have three... but then you have kits like the Baneblade, which has fully seven sprues, is a huge model, and comes out as €40 cheaper than these guys. This is pretty much just because it's an older kit and GW charges more for things than they did 5 or 6 years ago, and gets away with it.

Lot of decent bits there though. I don't think there's anything as distinctively brilliant or widely useful as base decorations as the gibbet, the skeleton roadsign or the squashed goblin from the aleguzzler kit. That really raised the bar and while there's a few gems here, it's not on the same level. 

Most importantly, where's Johann 2.0? Where's the clever little easter egg, an update to the running away dude that's been the lynchpin of their marketing? Where's Johann? The measure of everything in the mortal realms (that he runs away from), easily transferable to any base. No, no the dude in the Gatebreaker's hand, he's got the same hat but he's been caught, that doesn't count. Where's Johann, GW? GW? Where's Johann?!

Edited by sandlemad

I don't normally comment on prices as everyone has different opinions on what is good value to them, but personally, I haven't purchased the Lumineth and will probably won't get the new giants either purely based on price. I'm mostly a painter anyway and don't collect big armies, but even then, the sticker shock is putting me off.

Especially when there are quality alternatives available for giants right now (see spoilered images). And looking at it another way, I could build a whole 2 armies for Oathmark or Warlords of Erehwon for the same price as one giant.

To be fair, I thought the Gloomspite and Ossiarchs were fairly priced, and the start collecting sets are still good value. But the prices are making me look at 3rd party options. I think the troop choices for every army should be solid value, like the Ossiarchs, it would make it easier to justify starting and then adding to a new army. 

Screenshot_20201005-165237.jpg.2dc28b3f561658598717bc85fdf1214e.jpgScreenshot_20201005-165146.jpg.79bada4f28086dafa92f75aece3933c2.jpg