The Rumour Thread

I really don't understand what GW is thinking with their pricing, Lumineth and Sons are both way more than even GWs already expensive pricing scheme 

Especially after the reasonable prices of OBR last year

I really expect another price increase at this rate

Edited by Matrindur
  • Like 1

Where did the figures come from? I'm starting to hope they arent true or at least a little off because this will definitely put people off buying them. Itll be interesting to see the public's reaction when it becomes common knowledge, I can already picture the Facebook comment sections now.

I must admit I was a bit worried about the price of the new kit. Something the size of Archaon with a huge number of optional bits was always going to be pricey. It’s a shame to see that fear come true. Any way you cut it, £120 is a lot of money especially since I got a rulebook and 51 minis for £95 just a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

I just received my new 3D resin printer: I'm totally new to resin printing. But there is a big incentive here to jump in this 3D thing and become a regular miniature printer man.

I think that I'll get my money back pretty fast in printing some giants (with elegoo saturn you got the definition AND the size). A giant will cost me less than 10 bucks. lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Where did the figures come from? I'm starting to hope they arent true or at least a little off because this will definitely put people off buying them. Itll be interesting to see the public's reaction when it becomes common knowledge, I can already picture the Facebook comment sections now.

Price list floating around on Facebook

136DFE9B-7A8F-4DAA-8953-7127EF006E98.jpeg

1 minute ago, GeneralZero said:

I just received my new 3D resin printer: I'm totally new to resin printing. But there is a big incentive here to jump in this 3D thing and become a regular miniature printer man.

I think that I'll get my money back pretty fast in printing some giants (with elegoo saturn you got the definition AND the size). A giant will cost me less than 10 bucks. lol

While I don't personally agree with 3D printing a copy of the model, I do feel GW may shoot themselves in the foot if they keep upping prices. 

If you were a player with no ties to GW (or local businesses) and you played in a LGS, you'd start to ask yourself why not just buy a 3D printer and plastic for the same price as an army. 

I'm not advocating this in any way - I think it's important to support creators and local stores (they're struggling as is at the moment) - but I worry a price hike will only turn people towards making their own copies, which could deal a blow to the hobby. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Getting good looking files is the issue. Doing them yourself would eat up 10-30 hours, which, calculated by the lowest standard wage would be ~ 200€ +

well... xD yet it is still worth it.

150€ for a mega is dumb. And 100€ for two small giants is hilarious, considering those cost 45€ just a few years back...

Edited by JackStreicher

That's a big price jump, indeed. That said its a chunky model and comes with what seems to be quite a lot of options that some of the other high priced kits don't have. The Khorne Lord of Skulls is mostly a monobuild from what I'm aware. Necron Obilisk has a duel build, but most of its size is 4 huge segments which are the same for both builds. I think alternative parts might be what's helping to send this higher. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Overread said:

That said its a chunky model and comes with what seems to be quite a lot of options that some of the other high priced kits don't have.

Stop justifying the  un-justifiable. That‘s exactly how we‘ve got to where we are now...

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, JackStreicher said:

Stop justifying the in/justifiable. That‘s exactly how we‘ve got to where we are now...

I maintain that so long as I remain buying into the hobby the prices have to have some means to be justifiable otherwise I'd end up like those insane raving people on Dakka/FB :P 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I don't really like copying, but shaping the body yourself and using extra bits from a set is a good way to get more mileage out of a box. Making heads and hands is hard, but those come with doubles, luckily.

Edited by zilberfrid

6 minutes ago, Overread said:

I maintain that so long as I remain buying into the hobby the prices have to have some means to be justifiable

They just don‘t. GW has boldly increased prices despite COVID-19 and despite having had a record year.

At some point we have put a hold to what the Companies Leadership is doing.

It‘s not the cool people on WHTV that set the prices, it‘s the managers. Justifying anything will hurt the hobby big time very soon if this pricing madness does not stop.

Edit: Heck two of my more or less regular game mates were priced out of the hobby... they play Legions now.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 11

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

That's a big price jump, indeed. That said its a chunky model and comes with what seems to be quite a lot of options that some of the other high priced kits don't have. The Khorne Lord of Skulls is mostly a monobuild from what I'm aware. Necron Obilisk has a duel build, but most of its size is 4 huge segments which are the same for both builds. I think alternative parts might be what's helping to send this higher. 

I question the worth of this approach though. It's just speculating about GW's own made-up internal price-setting decisions, you know? The mega-gargant is presumably going to be a big three frame kit. Same materials, same labour, same everything else as other comparable kits. So instead we go to GW's own unstated thoughts on how many can they expect consumers to buy (1 for Archaon, 1-2 for the big knights, 2+ for the mega-gargants), how 'prestigious' a model is in-universe, how customisable they are, how popular this will actually be...

We could measure the new release against them and compare to older releases (though I don't think you'll ever get anything consistent or reasonable out of them) but the the thing is that none of them are actual justifications. There was no reason for e.g. the old greatsword kit to be more expensive than its peers. All these reasons are inevitably completely steamrolled by the all-powerful "what do we think we can get away with". And with this new kit, well, they're charging more because they can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Enoby said:

While I don't personally agree with 3D printing a copy of the model, I do feel GW may shoot themselves in the foot if they keep upping prices. 

+1. It is not to COPY the GW giants but to print some giants. Honnestly, the GW gargants and giants could be whatever giants, you won't be chocked. A nice 3D model could do perfectly the job especially if you're building a SoB army. (no mix with GW mini). And in front of a GW army (whichever it is), it won't look weird.

41 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Getting good looking files is the issue. Doing them yourself would eat up 10-30 hours, which, calculated by the lowest standard wage would be ~ 200€ +

Not necessarily true as the 3D miniature market is growing at rocket speed. Just have a look for example at myminifactory, or some patreons, or kicstarter... You have tons of nice minis, many are already pre configured for 3D resin printer. Just pay => download file => chitubox => adjust size for giant or gargant => print. The pre print process is , the first time, less than few minutes. Then print (few hours).  Cost: for first prints, just the files.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GeneralZero said:

Not necessarily true as the 3D miniature market is growing at rocket speed. Just have a look for example at myminifactory, or some patreons, or kicstarter... You have tons of nice minis, many are already pre configured for 3D resin printer. Just pay => download file => chitubox => adjust size for giant or gargant => print. The pre print process is , the first time, less than few minutes. Then print (few hours).  Cost: for first prints, just the files.

By doing it yourself I meant modelling it yourself :D

Makes me actually a bit afraid of my biggest wish, new models for old armies. What if they do release new Yhetees at last, but offer them for a price that just doesn’t feel right at all? Not looking forward to new releases under these circumstances, because I won’t buy them anyway. 

3 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

Damn. I would love to know how many of these they actually sell at that price when they drop.

enough to make a profit, sadly.... the community is so big that there will always be enough people buying your product. Increasing the prices effectively changes nothing except you still making a bigger profit.

I am afraid we're at a point now at which it is utterly too late to stop the price insanity.

Absurdly expensive Yheetes? You bet they will be. LRL foreshadowed what's to be expected, and SoB just showed that it is even getting worse than anticipated.

Edited by JackStreicher

3 hours ago, Enoby said:

This seems very expensive, especially considering Archaon and Teclis are "only" €120.  Would these become the most expensive kits in AoS? And someone would need three of them for 2000 points?  Seems a bit much - I don't think many would be happy buying three Archaons to play Slaves to Darkness

I'm not a price complainer. I'm lucky enough to have the cash for this hobby and not worry about it.

But.

I'm guessing that makes them $199 USD.

That is extreme, even for me. Archaon is the gold standard for me for "yep, I'll pay that much for that guy." You only need one, which impacts price. He's huge. He is awesome. He is powerful. Every price factor out there feeds into his high price ($165) and I'm ok with it.

While I understand that prices go up over time, and GW is 100% entitled to charge whatever they feel they can get and let the market decide if it's too much, and, my goodness yes please GW make that sweet, sweet cash so my stock increases in value, but ...

This may be the first kit I really want to get but still pass on because the value to me is exceeded by its cost.

Edit: I have the resin Forgeworld giant. Resin. Just as tall I think. $175. Yikes.

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what others do with theirs!

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, Sonnenspeer said:

You are going to sell your old armies because the new ones are too expensive? 🤨

Because I am somewhat bound to GW due to loving my armies. By getting rid of them I rid myself of the need to extend my armies any further.

Example: If IDK will get new models I really want to buy them (and I'll probably have to in order to play the army in an effective manner). Yet at that point the Models' value will be vastly outclassed by their prices. What will a Kraken cost? 180€?

And as I said: I am thinking about it.

Edited by JackStreicher
spelling
  • Like 2