The Rumour Thread

25 minutes ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

I am always down to some Open Play! :D We could also open up a Poll I would be interested in the Data about wether how many Players are theoretically open about playing outside the box of matched play points.
But yes I tend to agree it can be hard to find the opponents you "want" (especially during Covid19 times ;( )

Where in the world you at? 

I’m lucky with a couple of friends who like to play narrative with me so I do get my fix. 
here we had quite a long time when gaming at home with people was not really a problem. Things sadly are getting a bit more dire. So I’m switching back to TTS. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, someone2040 said:

I feel this is an important point.

I'm constantly around other people with geeky hobbies like my own, video games, chess, etc and in general, I would never really recommend to any of them to get into Warhammer. Certainly not the larger scale games. And that's in my work life, where I work in an industry that in general, people are earning enough to have enough hobby money to be spending it at GW's prices.

Heck, I feel bad buying some stuff as well. I've certainly noticed in recent years, I don't really want to buy a lot of new stuff. In part because I've got an existing backlog of armies from previous editions and unmade models, but also in part because the prices are so high on new models (in particular armies of only new models - stormcast excluded although the price of characters is hard to stomach). I actually have warmed up to most of the aesthetics of Lumineth, but heck if I'm going to drop 1kAUD on 1k points of Lumineth.

Nowadays if I was going to suggest getting into the wargaming hobby, I'd probably be recommending something like Warcry, Underworlds or Bloodbowl, or perhaps another system with cheaper models if they wanted to jump into the big army based games.

But for a hobby that prides itself on word of mouth, the fact that the mouths don't want to suggest getting in (albeit knowing it's far too late for themselves!) is a big problem.

I think when you said "I would never really recommend to any of them to get into Warhammer", you hit the nail on the head for me too. I haven't thought about it but I never really recommend the game to friends despite absolutely loving it. I got into Warhammer after not playing for 16 years (played when I was 15) due to a serious injury preventing consistent muay thai like before and wanted to get into something new. I was blown away at how far the minis have come and how much more popular the game is and the lore etc. My friends are more into sports I guess but are definitely still into things like video games and even WOW. If the barrier to entry wasn't so high I think I would be much more inclined to try. When we get together at my place I often show my minis with an "ouuuu and ahhhh" haha but I can't think of one person I know that would be as keen as me to spend this much on plastic toys (which I absolutely love doing...common new Soulblight take my MONEY). 

12 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

Looks like someone posted this a little earlier... probably it will be this Sunday preorder announcement

@KingBrodd they are comming! (maybe?)

20200925_101736.jpg

IT IS TIME BRETHREN!! THIS WEEKEND GLORY WILL BE ANNOUNCED AND MY LADS WILL RUN RAMPANT ON THIS REALM AND THE NEXT!! 

I am honestly over the moon its happening its finally happening!!!!!!

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

33 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

Looks like someone posted this a little earlier... probably it will be this Sunday preorder announcement

@KingBrodd they are comming! (maybe?)

20200925_101736.jpg

Most likely this is the battletome cover or the army

also I am guess their favorite Gargant is Kraken eater  since he been feature the most in the marketing

RE the topic of pricing and getting friends into the hobby. It's strange, while I don't like the Lumineth prices, on the whole I would say that playing Warhammer is about as expensive as most other hobbies overall, and cheaper than others - it just depends on how you buy into the hobby.

Comparing it to YuGiOh, you can spend £100-300 on a good deck, and will probably have to change it once every 6 months - 1 year depending on ban lists and meta. In addition to this, most decks go out of meta and become unfun to play after a while to the point where there most expensive cards are just costly bits of cardboard that might look nice. It's a massive investment to play and continue to play at even a local level unless you're okay with losing a lot - far more expensive than Warhammer where you only have to buy one £500 army for non-perishable entertainment; army power cycles but even the weakest AoS army stands a better chance than the weakest deck.

The big difference is it costs about £10 to buy a beginner YGO deck and try out the game in its entirety;  while you won't stand a chance against strangers, you can have a fun time against another person playing a beginner deck and you get a full sense of the game. With WH, both players need to buy in a sizable amount (£50 start collecting at least) to get even a small sense of what a full game is like. 

I think this is what makes it so difficult for new players. You can get a great game out of one of the starting boxes, and the easy build stuff is cheap for us, but it's still a big investment for someone who isn't 100% sure about starting. If they don't like the starting armies, this is even harder. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Overread said:

Don't you mean the 3rd for a release on the 10th? Since you know the rest of that month is going to be chock full of 40K content. Since we know they aren't up for pre-order this weekend, so it would make sense to see the preview this Sunday

You're right!! I'm living 2 weeks ahead at the point for some reason, think the Audio Drama has my dates confused.

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

RE the topic of pricing and getting friends into the hobby. It's strange, while I don't like the Lumineth prices, on the whole I would say that playing Warhammer is about as expensive as most other hobbies overall, and cheaper than others - it just depends on how you buy into the hobby.

Comparing it to YuGiOh, you can spend £100-300 on a good deck, and will probably have to change it once every 6 months - 1 year depending on ban lists and meta. In addition to this, most decks go out of meta and become unfun to play after a while to the point where there most expensive cards are just costly bits of cardboard that might look nice. It's a massive investment to play and continue to play at even a local level unless you're okay with losing a lot - far more expensive than Warhammer where you only have to buy one £500 army for non-perishable entertainment; army power cycles but even the weakest AoS army stands a better chance than the weakest deck.

The big difference is it costs about £10 to buy a beginner YGO deck and try out the game in its entirety;  while you won't stand a chance against strangers, you can have a fun time against another person playing a beginner deck and you get a full sense of the game. With WH, both players need to buy in a sizable amount (£50 start collecting at least) to get even a small sense of what a full game is like. 

I think this is what makes it so difficult for new players. You can get a great game out of one of the starting boxes, and the easy build stuff is cheap for us, but it's still a big investment for someone who isn't 100% sure about starting. If they don't like the starting armies, this is even harder. 

Yeah the cost of entry is higher, even if the cost to continue playing isn't higher (you can get by with one army).
Some armies are particularly cheap to get into, even more so than the starter set ones, in particular Beastclaw Raiders, Fyreslayers, and Flesh Eater Courts can make a 2000 point list out of 3 start collecting boxes, I'm not sure anymore, but I think seraphon can also do 2000 points with 3 boxes and a slann too.

Edit: A great way to get players into the game is if you have enough models to make two smallish (1k?) armies and play a starter game with them, that way they can try it out before buying it.

Edited by Ganigumo
  • Like 2

Regarding the price increases. I'm never going to be in favor and I do think it's a bit of a slap in the face given the record profits GW have been posting...

That said I think it is more an issue for hard-core existing players than new guys. The price increases are small for people who might buy a box or two, paint them and then pick up another couple of boxes. It's the existing fans who are likely to plan a 2k army and buy it day one.

Anyway glad to see the gargants coming at long last. Shame that Behemat himself got cucked by the Celestant prime but got to sell those golden boys I guess.

• Haha 1

I think the discussion on value for money, price and getting started etc... is worth its own thread of discussion (though I'd argue that for most of us it would be ground we've trodden before). Lets stick to rumours :)

Besides we've probably only got 1 day before we get smothered under a tide of manic giant posting .

• Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Overread said:

I think the discussion on value for money, price and getting started etc... is worth its own thread of discussion (though I'd argue that for most of us it would be ground we've trodden before). Lets stick to rumours :)

Besides we've probably only got 1 day before we get smothered under a tide of manic giant posting .

I apologise in advance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

You can buy digital vouchers on the GW Website so the best thing is to buy the value in digital vouchers which you can then use next month or whenever you want. Rather annoying for them to drop that kind of deal that last moment and end it in September and not roll forward into November - just at the time when anyone who has a september budget has likely spent it already.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grim Beasties said:

Just got a promotional email from GW about a $17 (CAN) voucher if you spend $118 by September 30th, so unless sons are for preorder this weekend then I doubt I'll get much use.

Screenshot_20200925-134639.png

1 hour ago, Overread said:

You can buy digital vouchers on the GW Website so the best thing is to buy the value in digital vouchers which you can then use next month or whenever you want. Rather annoying for them to drop that kind of deal that last moment and end it in September and not roll forward into November - just at the time when anyone who has a september budget has likely spent it already.

The voucher isn't until September 30th, you have to buy something that costs more than the written value until September 30th to get a voucher to use in October

Edited by Matrindur
  • Like 1

It's likely a value automatically generated based off your past sales activity and habits. Those spending more are far more likely to get offers to spend more; whilst those who spend less get offers for less. 

It's not a daft move. Someone who only spends a small amount might only have a small budget so giving them a smaller target is far more likely to get them on board than a single target that might exclude some. Of course GW only has data based on your store purchases, they don't know what you spend locally or at 3rd party stores. 

My only gripe is that it ends on the 30th. I'd have liked either more notice up front or an aim for a start of the month deadline rather than end of the month

• Like 1