The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Damn those look brutal! 
So weird how just making swole vampires suddenly feels as whole new take! I hope they do that if they ever do a Khorne Vampire faction. 

Nice conversions as well. Warshrine is probably my favorite, but also very nice use of the 40k range. will there be more Tyranids monsters in there?

Thanks! Good question about the Tyranids being incorporated. I'm not sure to be honest. That model was the last kit bash I did, finished it up about two weeks ago. The first conversions I did were based on things for my 2k list. So now that I filled out my 2k list, I can focus on creating a kitbash just for the sake of making something unique. Time to brainstorm I suppose! 

39 minutes ago, idn0971 said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/24/legendary-battalions-update/

Huzzah! GW has finally released a list of all publications legal for matched play and it includes all the white dwarf battalions and supplemental books. Full list is in the designer's commentary for the GHB 2020.

Great  change that, only minor annoyance being that it seems we will have to pay £4.99 to get a digital copy of WD for 1 page of rules, unless I've misunderstood something.

3 hours ago, TheR00zle said:

@KingBrodd!!! Your time is coming!!!

I picked a bloody great time to start work didnt I!! Absolutely bouncing to get on break and read this!!

2 hours ago, JPjr said:

now we're only a week or 2 away from those Mega-Gargants finally being on sale I'm just going to leave this article here for @KingBrodd.

the aftermath of victory can be bittersweet and I myself know what it can be like to cry salt tears when you realise there are no more worlds to conquer.

https://theconversation.com/how-olympic-athletes-grapple-with-life-once-the-thrill-is-gone-92231

I'll do my best to cope!! But with AOS there is always hope on the horizon!! And with the ending saying a new World Titan may come, it gives me hope King Brodd may even get a model or at least a larger Leader!! And hey we still have a 3.0 BT to look forward to after.

Honestly guys I'm just so ****** over the moon with this single article, it's already fleshed out the Sons so much that I cannot wait to get my hand on the BT and read it over and over. The artwork is perfect and the tales that sound like folk stories are truly incredible. I'm so happy right now!!

EDIT. Re reading the article I am bloody loving the whole mix of Fairy Tale and Ancient Mythology. It's just so much better and rounded than I could have even hoped. Perhaps one day we will get our first Tabletop Godbeast in the form of Behemats descendant.  

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 12

11 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

...and Death a Gatebreaker, that cowl on the Gatebreaker would fit in very well with a Nighthaunt army ;)

Itll be a fantastic release in that technically every Faction is receiving a new model!!

If they actually do make som sort of death friendly gargant rules I will simply just have to build one huge shambling corpse gargant running entirely on ghost energies.. and here I was thinking that gargants wasn’t for me anyway..

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

If they actually do make som sort of death friendly gargant rules I will simply just have to build one huge shambling corpse gargant running entirely on ghost energies.. and here I was thinking that gargants wasn’t for me anyway..

Each Grand Alliance is getting a named Gargant to use in their armies. It will be one from the kit they are releasing; but the idea is to allow each GA to have a gargant that they can ally into their armies. By having them as named characters rather than generic it also means that each one can be flavoured to their GA/balanced too etc...

That said if you want to custom design your own to not only fit the army mechanically, but visually too then go for it! :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

I'd love to see it when done mate.

Edited by KingBrodd

7 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Yeah this is cool, an earthier and more fairy-tale version of the Kronos myth. A bit of Ymir as well of course.

I hope they lean into the ambiguity with the SoB background, like it's a mix of real historical events, misremembered stuff and boastful tall tales on the part of the gargants ("the gargants claim that duardin are short because Behemat stamped them flat or that the men of Shyish have no meat on their bones because Behemat ate it all" is delightful) and myths or folktales of the other peoples of the realms.

Pretty sure it's all new apart from the image of Sigmar fighting that rhinoceros thing, which dates to AoS 1st ed.

I'm pretty sure this is how the Audio Drama is going to play out. It's supposed to be a collection of stories from Mortals of the Realms about the Sons, basically World War Z with Gargants!!

7 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

I'm very sure that we will get this sweety-little-doodle gargant in two weeks!

All my fingers and toes are criss crossed.

Edited by KingBrodd

22 hours ago, Kramer said:

Ooh that’s interesting! I feel the high entry price keeps some of my friends from collecting an own army.

while friends that are in deep, will always start that second, third, fourth army.

for myself I’m starting to become much more selective in what new thing I buy into as I have plenty of armies to add to and stuff to paint. So the price of the big box of pointy elves really kept me from getting a few to paint. And now the excitement is pretty much gone. 

I feel this is an important point.

I'm constantly around other people with geeky hobbies like my own, video games, chess, etc and in general, I would never really recommend to any of them to get into Warhammer. Certainly not the larger scale games. And that's in my work life, where I work in an industry that in general, people are earning enough to have enough hobby money to be spending it at GW's prices.

Heck, I feel bad buying some stuff as well. I've certainly noticed in recent years, I don't really want to buy a lot of new stuff. In part because I've got an existing backlog of armies from previous editions and unmade models, but also in part because the prices are so high on new models (in particular armies of only new models - stormcast excluded although the price of characters is hard to stomach). I actually have warmed up to most of the aesthetics of Lumineth, but heck if I'm going to drop 1kAUD on 1k points of Lumineth.

Nowadays if I was going to suggest getting into the wargaming hobby, I'd probably be recommending something like Warcry, Underworlds or Bloodbowl, or perhaps another system with cheaper models if they wanted to jump into the big army based games.

But for a hobby that prides itself on word of mouth, the fact that the mouths don't want to suggest getting in (albeit knowing it's far too late for themselves!) is a big problem.

Edited by someone2040
  • Like 9

32 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

I feel this is an important point.

I'm constantly around other people with geeky hobbies like my own, video games, chess, etc and in general, I would never really recommend to any of them to get into Warhammer. Certainly not the larger scale games. And that's in my work life, where I work in an industry that in general, people are earning enough to have enough hobby money to be spending it at GW's prices.

Heck, I feel bad buying some stuff as well. I've certainly noticed in recent years, I don't really want to buy a lot of new stuff. In part because I've got an existing backlog of armies from previous editions and unmade models, but also in part because the prices are so high on new models (in particular armies of only new models - stormcast excluded although the price of characters is hard to stomach). I actually have warmed up to most of the aesthetics of Lumineth, but heck if I'm going to drop 1kAUD on 1k points of Lumineth.

Nowadays if I was going to suggest getting into the wargaming hobby, I'd probably be recommending something like Warcry, Underworlds or Bloodbowl, or perhaps another system with cheaper models if they wanted to jump into the big army based games.

But for a hobby that prides itself on word of mouth, the fact that the mouths don't want to suggest getting in (albeit knowing it's far too late for themselves!) is a big problem.

I tried getting into Necromunda, but that's stopped hard by barrier of entry. Not in models, but rules.

At the moment, you need the core rulebook (€45), house specific book (€37), specialty dice (€12) and templates (€12). Which gets you ALMOST all the rules you need.

That's the price of three gang boxes in rules.

You can play no games before you have all of these.

When you do have all of these, you get to find out they are not worded well and badly balanced.

AoS is downright benevolent compared to it.

On Reddit, people suggested I should have just purchased the starter box. The €230 starter set with two very specific (not really starter and frankly ugliest) gangs that will require extra books in the near future, rounding it out to a nice €300 barrier of entry.

I've converted something in the Frostgrave ruleset for it, that way we can actually do the fun bit and build, paint and play instead of over half the people bowing out before starting.

Edited by zilberfrid

7 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

hen you do have all of these, you get to find out they are not worded well and badly balanced.

I fully agree. But just because I AoS rules are a lot better, doesn’t mean they are easy to get into anymore. 

if you want to play the store standard, you need Generals handbook, and your own book,  then you kinda need the core rule book because you’re missing 1/3 of the pitches battle scenarios. 
not costing money, but you’ll need to be up to date of the faq and the commentary on all three documents. 

then later you’ll discover that a lot of armies nowadays have extra battalions and faction rules in different publications, some of which aren’t sold anymore. 

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

I tried getting into Necromunda, but that's stopped hard by barrier of entry. Not in models, but rules.

At the moment, you need the core rulebook (€45), house specific book (€37), specialty dice (€12) and templates (€12). Which gets you ALMOST all the rules you need.

That's the price of three gang boxes in rules.

You can play no games before you have all of these.

When you do have all of these, you get to find out they are not worded well and badly balanced.

On Reddit, people suggested I should have just purchased the starter box. The €230 starter set with two very specific (not really starter and frankly ugliest) gangs that will require extra books in the near future, rounding it out to a nice €300 barrier of entry.

I've converted something in the Frostgrave ruleset for it, that way we can actually do the fun bit and build, paint and play instead of over half the people bowing out before starting.

Have you tried the old Necromunda rules from 1995? They can still be found on the Internet. Never played it, but it looks like oldschooly Mordheim-like fun, all in one book, for free. Just add dice and miniatures. And there will never be any official addons again.

To add to the general discussion, I had a similar experience with Kill Team. I got interested, I looked at the mass of books, rules and stuff I would need just to get into it at this point, then I stopped.  From GWs point of view, that’s actually catastrophic if more people feel that way. 

Edited by Beastmaster

27 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

Have you tried the old Necromunda rules from 1995? They can still be found on the Internet. Never played it, but it looks like oldschooly Mordheim-like fun, all in one book, for free. Just add dice and miniatures. And there will never be any official addons again.

To add to the general discussion, I had a similar experience with Kill Team. I got interested, I looked at the mass of books, rules and stuff I would need just to get into it at this point, then I stopped.  From GWs point of view, that’s actually catastrophic if more people feel that way. 

There is a community version at Yaktibe based on that ruleset, but the advantage of a Rangers (which itself is a Frostgrave game)  adaption is both familiarity for my group and the option for cooperative play. 

I should have known better, AoS was expanding beyond my desire to keep up with it, and I think it's the best GW game together with Warcry. 40k and its things are downright hostile.

Discussing the barrier of entry has left me with a sour taste of the community of Necromunda as well as the rules.

Edited by zilberfrid

23 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

I'm not sure I agree.

WHFB died for many reasons.

Lack of support for many factions (everything has a current AoS BT except FW stuff).

Cost and pagecount of rules required to at least play a little (extra books will muddle it more and more, but you can start with free warscrolls and free core rules).

Multiple year imbalances (there's an attempt at balancing twice per year).

Awkward lore to get into (we have to face that the map was too much an earth map, with all its implications. Mortal Realms are different).

Lack of gryph hounds (they are cute).

Too many models/too high a cost required to enter (Underworld -> Warcry -> Meeting Engagements -> 2k points make it easier to get into)

Now, I don't like price increases, but that wasn't the only, and probably not even defining reason WHFB failed.

I agree.

And in terms of Lumineth, we actually don't know if they are selling poorly. Even if the box didn't sell as much as GW hoped, they might still have sold more than other similar AoS boxes. And people are still buying these, I guess after seeing the price of the range it got a bit more interesting for some people. 

If you look at Instagram for example, there are around 3,050 hits under the luminethrealmlords hashtag. That's already roughly half of OBR (6,200, which came out ca. 10 months earlier), as wells as of DoK (7,100), a forth of Fyreslayers (11,400) & Idoneth (13,600), the later 3 which seem to be less popular armies, but have all been released much earlier. If you look here at the forum, Facebook pages and so on., the Lumineth parts and posts are pretty popular too. But that all also doesn't have to say anything either of course. 

As long as only have our own experiences and weak data it's all hard to say. For everyone who didn't invest in the Lumineth because of the price tag, there might be a crazy person like me who bought 3 army boxes and ton of other stuff (I haven't counted, but I'm sure I'm around 4,000 points altogether). 

• Like 5

I have to admit that the price of LRL has put me off expanding my army passed 1000 points. I like the army and its aesthetics, but the price to create a large lists (especially of troops) is just too high to justify. If the troops were about £25, I'd be happy to buy some more, but at £37.50 each I just can't stomach the idea of buying 40 more wardens and sentinels (that'd be about £300 now). 

I wanted my Lumineth list to be a rank and file army - lots of troops on the ground with a few support heroes and a monster, but that's too expensive to be feasible for myself.  

I don't want to turn this into a whining message, I'm mostly saying this in case LRL sell poorly and they do some market research by snooping around the internet - price over anything else seems like the deciding factor in not pursuing the army further for myself and some others. 

• Like 5

@LuminethMage if anyone is fully warranted to go a bit overboard with Lumineth, it'd have to be someone with the faction title in the username.

Now here's my wallet hoping they won't make a dark era mercenary faction/friendly shiny metal faction (zilberfrid either translating to friend of silver or silver friend, and yes, it uses components of different eras.)

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

you look at Instagram for example, there are around 3,050 hits under the luminethrealmlords hashtag. That's already roughly half of OBR (6,200, which came out ca. 10 months earlier), as wells as of DoK (7,100), a forth of Fyreslayers (11,400) & Idoneth (13,600), the later 3 which seem to be less popular armies, but have all been released much earlier. If you look here at the forum, Facebook pages and so on., the Lumineth parts and posts are pretty popular too. But that all also doesn't have to say anything either of course. 

Oh they are a amazing painters army. I expect a lot of crazy good painting articles and pictures about them .
I have no plan of playing them, but if I can ever get some on the cheap I’ll paint some up and share them online. 
but like you say, it’s guesstimating on too little data. 
 But the insta statistic says no more that 3050 liked to tag their post with the hashtag. Not if they will ever buy more than one second hand light of elthereon just to paint. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, someone2040 said:

Same. I earn more than enough to buy at GWs prices. Yet I rarely buy anything and I don‘t recommend it either since the prices are too high imo. I am feeling bad for buying a box with a price point of 4,5€ per Model, so I don‘t. For me the price has reached the point at which the models are just not worth it anymore. (I‘ve sold most of my backlog to make room for new stuff, yet the rooms stays unoccupied)...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

Same. I earn more than enough to buy at GWs prices. Yet I rarely buy anything and I don‘t recommend it either since the prices are too high imo. I am feeling bad for buying a box with a price point of 4,5€ per Model, so I don‘t. For me the price has reached the point at which the models are just not worth it anymore. (I‘ve sold most of my backlog to make room for new stuff, yet the rooms stays unoccupied)...

I do, however, reccommend people a few boxes like the Necromunda or Greatswords sets. The hands and faces on these are great and in great supply, and will improve other models greatly. Heads and arms are primary attention seekers

I have purchased a few Kickstarter thing with lots of doubles, clipping off heads and arms and replacing them with better sculpts makes for better diversity and quality.

If you start modeling your own models, it gets even better.

I have made a few models that have no official models. With a few Escher heads, Sister front bodies and Greatsword parts, the difficult stuff could be detailed, and dress and hair were not too hard a sculpt.

Now what's the first you notice?

For many, it's the sword hands being oversized. That's an issue though, scale is wildly inconsistent.

IMG_20200919_171329559_HDR.jpg

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

That’s an important point. Even if you could afford it, at some point it just feels like you’re being ripped off, and it makes the purchase more difficult to justify in the light of its usefulness.  Buying something has to feel right.

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Also the hardest way to play to find opponents for 🥺

I am always down to some Open Play! :D We could also open up a Poll I would be interested in the Data about wether how many Players are theoretically open about playing outside the box of matched play points.
But yes I tend to agree it can be hard to find the opponents you "want" (especially during Covid19 times ;( )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

I have to admit that the price of LRL has put me off expanding my army passed 1000 points. I like the army and its aesthetics, but the price to create a large lists (especially of troops) is just too high to justify. If the troops were about £25, I'd be happy to buy some more, but at £37.50 each I just can't stomach the idea of buying 40 more wardens and sentinels (that'd be about £300 now). 

I wanted my Lumineth list to be a rank and file army - lots of troops on the ground with a few support heroes and a monster, but that's too expensive to be feasible for myself.  

I don't want to turn this into a whining message, I'm mostly saying this in case LRL sell poorly and they do some market research by snooping around the internet - price over anything else seems like the deciding factor in not pursuing the army further for myself and some others. 

Yes, they look awesome as a rank & file with many troops. Who knows - maybe over time, you can add some (if not the next attractive project is on the way 😅

1 hour ago, Beastmaster said:

That’s an important point. Even if you could afford it, at some point it just feels like you’re being ripped off, and it makes the purchase more difficult to justify in the light of its usefulness.  Buying something has to feel right.

100% agree. I didn’t really mind, because I’ve been waiting for this army since 5 years, won’t invest in many (if any) other army, and also haven’t seen prices going up for the last 5 or 10 years. It’s probably also relative where you live, how the price feels in relativity to other things and so on. To me it looked slightly more expensive than expected, but still right for what I get. 

• Like 2