The Rumour Thread

4 minutes ago, Enoby said:

The paw strikes me as more feline - but maybe that's just me (dogs and cats do have pretty similar hind legs).

Felis_silvestris_restoration_&_skeleton.jpg

dog-bones-anatomy.png

I agree it does seem more Feline to me. Could be a Were-Cat of some kind? Unless were getting something akin to Khajiit for Destruction or Order? My bets are Flesh Eater Courts or a New Warcry/WQ monster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I agree it does seem more Feline to me. Could be a Were-Cat of some kind? Unless were getting something akin to Khajiit for Destruction or Order? My bets are Flesh Eater Courts or a New Warcry/WQ monster.

I'd really like to see cat people (were cats or Khajiit) for Destruction. Nothing against destruction, but I feel a lot of their models are a bit samey (as their armies came from two armies - thankfully SoB are fixing their samey-ness a bit). However, I think werecats would be another step in the right direction to move destruction away from just orcs, goblins, and ogres.

Or maybe it's a new Stormhost - the Thundercats :P  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's not a million miles from the feet of the upcoming Blood Bowl werewolves, though I don't think that's what we're looking at.

Bit of a long shot but turning into wolves used to be an accepted bit of vampire folklore. It's in Dracula and it used to be a power Von Carstein vampires could get. It's kind of fallen by the wayside due to the urban fantasy market's need to differentiate between sexy werewolves and sexy vampires but still, maybe  that could be a thing for Soulblight? Or some other sort of lupine vampire. 

The argument that (outside of blood bowl) werewolves don't fit with the warhammer undead still rings true, maybe more so with the redrawing of the Death focus since Nagash came back. But it does look very canine. My mind went towards this being a bat-morphed foot for a vampire with wings but it doesn't really look like a bat's foot (or a varghulf or vargheist's foot).

It does look like it's from the same terrain as the crow rumour engine. Maybe it's a not-quite-Death-aligned enemy in a generally-Death-themed WHU game?

17 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I'd really like to see cat people (were cats or Khajiit) for Destruction. Nothing against destruction, but I feel a lot of their models are a bit samey (as their armies came from two armies - thankfully SoB are fixing their samey-ness a bit). However, I think werecats would be another step in the right direction to move destruction away from just orcs, goblins, and ogres.

Or maybe it's a new Stormhost - the Thundercats :P  

It would be good to separate the Destruction Alliance up more so I agree. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

I don't know anything about Space Wolves but I feel like they had/have a few ravens on their sculpts in the past, right? If this is linked to the raven Rumour Engine, like someone suggested, that might not rule out the Space Wolves?

I sadly agree... looks like a werewolf foot atop a skandinavian ruin... 😕

Edited by JackStreicher

Oh man, I hope it's not Space Wolves. They're had enough wolfiness to last a lifetime. The raven could suggest them, their rune priests have them occasionally, though I can't say the ruins look particularly Scandinavian to me.

This is also a lot more slender and unarmoured than the existing SW wulfen. "Siri, wulfen feet pics please". I don't think it's SW

99120101140_SpaceWolvesWulfen04.jpg

It's a little closer to the Blood Bowl werewolf but still something different.

Werewolf-Player-Blood-Bowl.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Matrindur said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/22/coming-next-month-action-figures-from-mcfarlane-toys/

40k Action Figures will be for pre order on 10th of October so either Sons are the same day and they put them together because Sons isn't a big release OR October 10th will be the day the 40k preorders start 

I'd say they would drop together quite easily.

1 minute ago, Neverchosen said:

I will say my initial thought was Kurnothi Aelves.

But if they released a true army of Werewolves I would be all in.

It would definitely be the start of my First Death army that's for sure.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Whilst Werewolves have an association with Gothic horror, I don't really see them as a Death thing. A strand of vampirism-gone-wrong is probably edging too close to Ghoul territory, unless of course said werewolves were an extension of that line. Varghulfs aren't exactly a million miles away from a vaguely similar-ish aesthetic.

Destruction could work, similar to how Orboros look in Warmahordes; primitive, savage, fiercely independent, potentially revering a form of Gorkamorka or their own deity. Destruction still really needs it's identity fleshing out, especially when everybody can take Sons in some capacity.

Chaos already has Skinwolves from WHFB, but since they're a one-note Forge World unit I could easily see them retconning them to fit elsewhere. By the same token, they would still fit Chaos very well with the whole mutation thing but probably hit too many of the same beats as Beastmen.

Even Order's a possibility depending on how much control they might have (similar to Gilneas in WoW), although that seems very unlikely. 

That said, I'm still betting the model's an extension of the Kurnoth in some capacityi:

shQtu2O.jpg

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Whilst Werewolves have an association with Gothic horror, I don't really see them as a Death thing. A strand of vampirism-gone-wrong is probably edging too close to Ghoul territory, unless of course said werewolves were an extension of that line. Varghulfs aren't exactly a million miles away from a vaguely similar-ish aesthetic.

Destruction could work, similar to how Orboros look in Warmahordes; primitive, savage, fiercely independent, potentially revering a form of Gorkamorka or their own deity. Destruction still really needs it's identity fleshing out, especially when everybody can take Sons in some capacity.

Chaos already has Skinwolves from WHFB, but since they're a one-note Forge World unit I could easily see them retconning them to fit elsewhere. By the same token, they would still fit Chaos very well with the whole mutation thing but probably hit too many of the same beats as Beastmen.

Even Order's a possibility depending on how much control they might have (similar to Gilneas in WoW), although that seems very unlikely. 

That said, I'm still betting the model's an extension of the Kurnoth in some capacityi:

shQtu2O.jpg

Destruction would be an awesome home for Werewolves, I've already stated I'd love a full on anthropomorphic animal/beast army for Destruction.

1C15F050-8DA8-48C3-A239-FBC699884E14.jpeg.865c2d8fa8ae6c65e8fc615bf6832a04.jpeg

Actually, this looks sort of like it could be a fox paw with an extra digit at the back.  

The base looks similar to some of the ruined Lumineth bases.

I think this will turn out to be either one of the strange and less well-described Water temple creatures/steeds, or (more likely) one of the Wind Temple "fox-faced" wind spirits with the big bows.  That's what I'm feeling anyway.  It always struck me that since that was one of the better-described creatures in the book that they must have at least worked out the model to some degree when they wrote the book.  Considering the book was likely done back in December (and thus the model even earlier) I don't find it unlikely at all that we could be seeing rumour engine pics of it now.

Edited by willange
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

shQtu2O.jpg

That was my first impression as well.  We also have heard people like wade blurt out on War Com they are coming.  I assume they are close with Covid release finally catching up to 9 months ago.

• Like 1

https://hasbropulse.com/products/heroquest-game-system

Launch page for the revamped non-GW Heroquest, at the moment they're only selling it to people in the US 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔 (I guess licensing reasons, but can't see this not being a global release after the crowdfunding campaign)

also lots of FIND & REPLACE "CHAOS with DREAD" in the video & text

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 19.00.36.png

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, willange said:

I think this will turn out to be either one of the strange and less well-described Water temple creatures/steeds, or (more likely) one of the Wind Temple "fox-faced" wind spirits with the big bows.  That's what I'm feeling anyway.  It always struck me that since that was one of the better-described creatures in the book that they must have at least worked out the model to some degree when they wrote the book.  Considering the book was likely done back in December (and thus the model even earlier) I don't find it unlikely at all that we could be seeing rumour engine pics of it now.

Interesting take. I'm not sure they'd need to have worked out the models beyond the concept stage when they wrote the book though, and it'd be a bit strange to have a further release for a new AoS faction so close to the launch, even allowing for this coming out up to a year from now and the Lumienth battletome being meant to launch a few months ago.

13 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

That was my first impression as well.  We also have heard people like wade blurt out on War Com they are coming.  I assume they are close with Covid release finally catching up to 9 months ago.

Really, more kurnothi stuff was blurted out? When?

Just now, sandlemad said:

Really, more kurnothi stuff was blurted out? When?

Pre covid.  I don't know when since time doesn't exist for me any longer.  

He just said Kurnothi were coming and the AoS version of classic aelf part of Wood Elves.  I fully expect Sylvaneth to be a larger army moving forward and the Ariel/Orion to be extended from what they put in the BRB.  two gods gettin' in on.  A large Orion like model would do well in this game.  Painters would have a field day with it.  I saw.... shucks,.. maybe Domus? convert one from a Magnus.  

• Like 4

See I can see GW adding Kurnothi to Sylvaneth to round them out - bit of a huge kick in the teeth for the wood elf players of old to see the army fragmented and then basically rebuilt. That said it would give them something other than tree people to work with as a creative outlet. 

• Like 2

I can't see Kurnothi being an expansion of Sylvaneth per se. What I think will happen is that they will come out as their own small force, with the ability to ally with Sylvaneth for an old Wood Elf Feel. They'll have gods in common, and be closely related in the lore. However they are too visually distinct to be a true sylvaneth force. They don't have a plant based feel, they aren't grown from soul pods etc.

Then I reckon we'll see a follow up tome which combines the rules, and gives options to play both armies seperately, or as a single combined "wood elf" force. In much the same way that Warclans has put Ironjaws and Bonesplitters together, but they still exist as factions.