The Rumour Thread

46 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/20/sunday-preview-crusading-into-the-nexus-and-tactical-terrain/

Only 40k Terrain this week but they did say at the bottom: "You’ll also find out more about the upcoming Necrons codex and our partnership with McFarlane Toys, as well as having a giant look at the Sons of Behemat." so at least we will be seeing some Community articles for them this week

45 minutes ago, FireAbend said:

40 minutes ago, Overread said:

Sons of Behemat articles! Which means their date is getting closer and closer!
Odd week of 40K releases to see them pushing the new crusade and mission packs when we still don't have a single codex for 9th edition. I get that things are not ideal, but I'd have thought they've have held those back to jointly or soon after release when they've got the marine and necron codex out into the wild.

4 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

It is a confirmation of the expected release of SoB the October 10th to me.

NOBODY PANIC! NOBODY PANIC!! 

I am beyond excited for this week!! Hell yes articles!! Is it lore!? Is it a kit preview!? Will Phill Kelly do a Lore Community Podcast!? We have articles people!!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Steve Rose said:

I really hope Phil Kelly does a lore podcast. I really liked listening to the OBR one.

If you havent yet, check out his Lore Podcast on the Lumineth!!

21 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

In the new white dwarf there is apparently a glimpse of map of Ghur ! ❤️ 

That's awesome!! 

• Like 1

When the current core book was released the thing I was most looking forward to was a map of Ghur! It’s my favourite realm and is where my current campaign is taking place. (As an aside, when I realised the book didn’t contain the map I couldn’t bring myself to be disappointed given the amazing art and other awesomeness inside).

If the Sons of Behemat contain a map of Ghur, I am buying it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greyshadow said:

When the current core book was released the thing I was most looking forward to was a map of Ghur! It’s my favourite realm and is where my current campaign is taking place. (As an aside, when I realised the book didn’t contain the map I couldn’t bring myself to be disappointed given the amazing art and other awesomeness inside).

If the Sons of Behemat contain a map of Ghur, I am buying it. 

I'm wondering which Realm will be most prevalent within the book, the Sons originate from Ghyran or at least that's where they're origin is to be found, being birthed from Behemat himself. But Gargants go so well with Ghur as well. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

There is part of a Hysh map showing on the webstore item for next month's White Dwarf - are you sure you don't mean that?

White Dwarf 456 (September 2020), p. 11. Phil Kelly's article about drawing maps is mostly about Hysh, but there is a never seen before mini part of the "Ghur Hinterlands" map.

• Thanks 1

I like creating maps for my games and so I have the inverse reaction to many here regarding the mapping of the mortal realms. I like to assume that my little world can fit into the massive worlds of the mortal realms. 

Although, for the narrative campaign I am currently constructing I created provinces for each of the mortal realms so that each battle will have different rules. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

I like creating maps for my games and so I have the inverse reaction to many here regarding the mapping of the mortal realms. I like to assume that my little world can fit into the massive worlds of the mortal realms. 

Phil Kelly said that we're not going to see whole realms mapped. Hysh is an exception because its symmetrical shape is important. And even then hyshian continents are gargantuan so you can fit eveything in here.

Edited by michu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

I am particularly enamoured with the books City of Secrets and Spear of Shadows. I’d love a map in this region so a Ghurish Hinterlands map sound just the ticket.

There is no way the Coast of Tusks isn't on the map. 

Also we still have the story arc about Excelsis and Gordrakk (and unreleased artworks of the city itself) so there is hope !

• LOVE IT! 1

When it comes to maps what I think most people want is a clear concept of the core geography of each region and a timescale so that we can plot where certain events take place; how the lands owned by different factions line up. We get an idea of how important a city is or what happens if one were to fall to another faction etc... It gives the setting a grounding otherwise they are just random stories in the ether with no real way to link them together into a greater narrative.

It also helps when we like to make our own stuff because now we know how to relate it to the other settlements and such.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Overread said:

When it comes to maps what I think most people want is a clear concept of the core geography of each region and a timescale so that we can plot where certain events take place; how the lands owned by different factions line up. We get an idea of how important a city is or what happens if one were to fall to another faction etc... It gives the setting a grounding otherwise they are just random stories in the ether with no real way to link them together into a greater narrative.

Interesting because I think this is something they are intentionally avoiding. Indeed they seem to be trying to keep everything open and fluid, maybe for easier writing down the road.

How fast do you think people would get grumpy if they provided a map and then some writer had characters violate it by turning up elsewhere? Seems easier to just avoid that problem by not giving too many maps. Also, my understanding is that the realms are relatively fluid, especially in some places. And with gates everywhere would it matter? The fastest way across ghur might be 2 gates to chamon and a very short walk, for example.

• Like 1

The issue with AoS lore is that AoS is that at its launch state it was basically a tacked on lore designed to be fully open in all respects. You can see this in a lack of maps, geography, dates or any points of reference save for the "ages" turning one to the next. So you have a huge setting that is totally open with infinite choice. The idea being that its then just a platform for GW to do whatever they wanted. Remember at launch it was basically not a game nor lore it was a boutique model line that just happened to have some stories. 

This kind of set AoS wrong from the first step and has dogged it ever since. I suspect that another part is allowing writers and the narrative to evolve with the fanbase, a bit like the game of old did. The issue is the game of old evolved in small steps; you crept out and learned a bit more of the world around the setting; whilst in this game you've got everything on the table at once and nothing on the table at the same time.

I think as GW is taking AoS more seriously we will eventually see more structure appearing. This iwll likely create a block of stories and lore that's somewhat sketchy in its relation to each other and perhaps even a period of time when the story has no real unified dating or structural system to keep things in order - a wild time of change. See the thing is you can build better fantasies with a good structure underneath; with good maps and dates you can understand the shift in power; as cities rise and fall and battles and wars are fought. You can get a grasp of the sense of how critical a story is; or how out and away from it all regions are. 

Sure we won't have maps of every inch, but if we have the core story regions that are focused upon at least that will be outlining the core power players, nations, cities, gods, armies and all .

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Overread said:

From the GW community fb page 

120007360_1507069786156476_5993808465693

I will 100% buy a Johann Gargant story book. Give me this GW and I will roar your name from the craggiest of mountain peaks in a storm so fierce itll bring a tear to an Idoneth's Blind Eye.

In all seriousness I'm so goddam  happy that the hype train has begun for the Sons of Behemat!!

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 8
  • Haha 3
  • LOVE IT! 4

8 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

I will 100% buy a Johann Gargant story book. Give me this GW and I will roar your name from the craggiest of mountain peaks in a storm so fierce itll bring a tear to an Idoneth's Blind Eye.

In all seriousness I'm so goddam  happy that the hype train has begun for the Sons of Behemat!!

GW should at least create one for you King Brodd as a thank you for keeping the hype train alive singlehandedly through the Corona crisis. You earned it bro!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Incineroar87 said:

Heavily dislike the design of the Gargant models, but I adore the storybook feel for the advertising campaign for the range, it's so fresh.  Would def buy a Gargant Storybook though :D

May I ask what you dont like about the design? 

I am loving this storybook advertising as well!!

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

GW should at least create one for you King Brodd as a thank you for keeping the hype train alive singlehandedly through the Corona crisis. You earned it bro!

Haha thanks so much mate I really appreciate the thought!! 

The design of the Gargant models is what I would see as a perfect example of keeping with the traditional look of the old Aleguzzler, yet make it new and impressive. It’s exactly what I hope for other ranges too. 😃

Of course, this means if someone didn’t like the Aleguzzler, he won’t like the new Gargants, too. But nothing will ever appeal to everyone.

• Like 3

I was just reading about the Battlezone terrain line GW is releasing for 40k, and my first thought was that this would be an amazing format to release sets of realm-specific terrain for AoS. 

Tiles for the battle mat, an assortment of terrain pieces, cards with customer rules for certain terrain pieces or setups. It would be an amazing opportunity to really explore and reinforce the flavor of the realms on the tabletop, and I find the prospect quite exciting!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, OkayestDM said:

I was just reading about the Battlezone terrain line GW is releasing for 40k, and my first thought was that this would be an amazing format to release sets of realm-specific terrain for AoS. 

Tiles for the battle mat, an assortment of terrain pieces, cards with customer rules for certain terrain pieces or setups. It would be an amazing opportunity to really explore and reinforce the flavor of the realms on the tabletop, and I find the prospect quite exciting!

I really wonder why they didn’t expand in that direction in the first place. Just yesterday I saw a lot of Battlemats on Deepcut Studios that seem to emulate different AoS realms. Would have sold like crazy with the AoS license/marketing, good for both. Someone in the Marketing department must have slept. 😎

• Like 1