The Rumour Thread

Just now, Grim Beasties said:

I'm going to leave judgment for when we have more information, but the trailer is a little bland. Still want to see more about that AoS game made by the Elite Dangerous devs.

Well yes, that's why I tell people to never pre-order unless you are sure of the product you're going to buy. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, shinros said:

Plus I suspect the license is expensive hence why we don't see many AAA games with the ip. 

Actually I think GW's IP is likely on the cheap side, which is why we see so many smaller developers picking it up.

I think the real difference is that bigger AAA companies want control over the creative process and project as well as ownership or at least long term exclusive licencing for the IP. GW instead wants more creative control over content, plus they don't seem to do exclusives quite the same way or for as long. As a result for a big company at the AAA end the Warhammer IP isn't powerful enough to secure them a bigger market than they already have and they don't want the trappings and additional fuss of having GW over their shoulder.

Smaller developers instead want the GW IP because it gives them a much more powerful market reach than they would otherwise get. They are more able and willing to have GW influence the creative process as well.

It's why when you get firms like CA that pick up the IP they tend to do really well because they WANT the IP for more than the money. They want to specifically work with the IP. They aren't shopping around for a fantasy or sci fi setting, they specifically want to work with the Warhammer setting itself. 

Whilst Warhammer TW has been one of their biggest continual sellers and has been a huge boon for CA, I suspect that good numbers was an added bonus for them and that they were happy to produce the game as a project. You can see that in how they added Vampire Pirates and other little things into the game. Heck their patch notes typically contain at least one or two jokes per listing. They've clearly a great passion for the game beyond the numbers in profits. 

Cheaper/more accessible licencing also works well for GW. They get a lot more market outreach in video games than they'd otherwise get which helps make more people brand aware of the warhammer brand and IP. Some will never build a model or buy a book, but some will and for others it will be one of the start points for them being aware of GW existing. It also works well because if there's a bad game in the mix or one that doesn't really work all that well, then the game takes the flack and gets forgotten about and it doesn't hurt GW's central business of selling models. 

I suspect part of GW's big push (which has yet to happen) into media with TV shows is another avenue for them trying to broaden their brand appeal. They've tried it in the past, but never really committed to it in a big way. Their new TV focus seems to be far more serious, though we've yet to really see that whole end come to fruition. Again if it fails fans will complain and cry but won't stop buying models. If it works FANTASTIC. Existing fans get a boost and even more people will become aware of the GW Brand and IP and market. Some might buy some video games; or a book or some models. Plus the more aware people are the more you can market toward them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2020 at 12:13 AM, HorticulusTGA said:

For the AOS 3rd ed. Starter set that is 100% coming between now and Summer 2021 (trust me :P) I could see : 

- Devoted Of Sigmar (Order of Azyr, Art-deco heavy armored Warrior priests, Free cities update, etc., including some redesigned Stormcasts units !) vs Orruk Ironjawz - Siege of Excelsis story arc

- Devoted Of Sigmar (same as above) vs Shadow Elves (with "beginner-friendly designs" like @HollowHills said), as a conclusion to the Broken Realms story arc and if the Grand Alliances rules are removed (after some kind of Order civil war started by Morathi, Teclis and Alarielle in Broken Realm), to be replaced by the Allies Matrix from the GHB 2020. 

nah mate with new vampire coast army on development we are getting slowly into brawlhalla on the eighth points with idoneth aided by new toys from nagash and malekith finding good way yo go reveal his armies from the mist and lumineth reinforcements on order side and oruks trying to force open a realmgate to eight points. AOS 3.0 might start with siege rules as main story arc with morhatti making power grab as her og plan to stealth starve aelven souls into only her army remaining  kinda blows up.

1 minute ago, Grim Beasties said:

Has there been any actual info on a vampire coast for AoS outside of the Wraith Fleet from Firestorm, or is it just wish listing? 

No, just people forgetting that Scourge Privateers exist and people that think old art is new art.  The closest we ever got was a rumor engine boat thing which turned out to just be part of a mega-gargant.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

So Lumineth are almost definitely getting announced this weekend for Pre Order the next? 

Well we know Lumineth are getting released in September and that the Battlebox with tome and such is going off sale this Saturday (tomorrow - get it now if you want it!). It would be logical to think that they go up for preview this weekend with a pre-order next weekend and release on the following - 11th. 

That said GW has the whole of September to play with. They could delay it, but it would be strange to pull the box and not have something coming out very soon after. At most a weeks delay if we don't see anything on them this weekend. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Overread said:

Well we know Lumineth are getting released in September and that the Battlebox with tome and such is going off sale this Saturday (tomorrow - get it now if you want it!). It would be logical to think that they go up for preview this weekend with a pre-order next weekend and release on the following - 11th. 

That said GW has the whole of September to play with. They could delay it, but it would be strange to pull the box and not have something coming out very soon after. At most a weeks delay if we don't see anything on them this weekend. 

The sooner the Pointy Ears are out of the way the sooner the lads can go Stompin!!

• Like 2

Back on the AoS Video Game topic for a bit:

I was recently thinking what kind of game would be good for AoS. And then I realised - Stormcasts can die many times and they are always (not really) back but with lost memories and more reforging flaws. Fighting against various enemies, from lowly skeletons to beasts like Bloodthirsters, in fantastical landscapes, while knowing that your efforts can be ultimately futile because gods made too many mistakes... Sounds familiar?

AoS: Dark (Tempest?) Souls anyone?

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 3

4 minutes ago, michu said:

I was recently thinking what kind of game would be good for AoS. And then I realised - Stormcasts can die many times and they are always (not really) back but with lost memories and more reforging flaws. Fighting against various enemies, from lowly skeletons to beasts like Bloodthirsters, in fantastical landscapes, while knowing that your efforts can be ultimately futile because gods made too many mistakes... Sounds familiar?

An AoS action rpg would be wonderful!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

Both the Elves and Giants were supposed to be released right in what ended up being the era of plague.

Given they have pushed the flagship games followup releases to October I'm expecting September to be wall to wall catch up.

I'm still hoping for the Sons to drop sneakily at the end of September.

• Like 1

I hope Sons drops in September as well. It will start to push forward through the releases for AoS and move onto "new" things that really are new and haven't been lingering for half a year or more teasing and tormenting fans. Plus I think there are a lot of people who just want to build a huge cool giant for the fun or for an ally in their armies. Sons is likely going to be a fairly popular side army for many - sure each model isn't cheap, but having them as generic allies for many and having them cost so much in points means you can quickly build an army up. 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Overread said:

I hope Sons drops in September as well. It will start to push forward through the releases for AoS and move onto "new" things that really are new and haven't been lingering for half a year or more teasing and tormenting fans. Plus I think there are a lot of people who just want to build a huge cool giant for the fun or for an ally in their armies. Sons is likely going to be a fairly popular side army for many - sure each model isn't cheap, but having them as generic allies for many and having them cost so much in points means you can quickly build an army up. 

I'm just as excited for the Battletome as I am the gorgeous models. I cannot wait to devour that Gargantuan lore.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, michu said:

The Stormcast coming back from death makes me think about the Shadow of Mordor/War games. The némesis system in warhammer would be awesome, imagine all the chaos warriors with corny nickames and cool scars wanting revenge or gaining mutations and favors each time they defeat you.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Overread said:

Oh no! Hopefully GW can release an ebook of them at the very least

This is what I was afraid would happen.

That's why I snagged the physical book they produced for this years Adepticon off ebay. I just wanted to have a copy of those great stories, incase they got lost online.

IMG_5153.jpg

• Like 2

Back on to Storm Ground topic again......does anybody remember the PC game Warhammer Mark of Chaos? I absolutely loved that game, the way you could choose your path as Nurgle and Khorne wanted you as thier champion in the Chaos campaign. For me if Storm Ground is anything like Mark of Chaos or its expansion Battle March I'll be happy.

I do hope thiers more to it than just Stormcast and Nighthaunt but I presume more content will be added if they make enough sales

Edited by Gutlord

19 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I've 3 Aleguzzlers on Order, hopefully due to arrive this week. The cherry on top would be, maybe a cheeky Sons of Behemat article on Warhammer Community!? Please, just one James Workshop? Have I not been patient enough?

Yes please GW - give King Brodd his well-deserved toys cause else we'll have to rename this thread into "King Brodd talking about mega-gargants and some d00ds want Aelves too". I love you guys but if this talk about Mega-Gargants continues I might lose my already weak grip on sanity. :D 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

4 hours ago, MitGas said:

Yes please GW - give King Brodd his well-deserved toys cause else we'll have to rename this thread into "King Brodd talking about mega-gargants and some d00ds want Aelves too". I love you guys but if this talk about Mega-Gargants continues I might lose my already weak grip on sanity. :D 

Hahaha what can I say 20 years wait is a long time to keep quiet!!

I also cannot tell if your being sarcastic or generally annoyed at my Gargant talk.

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Haha 1