The Rumour Thread

22 minutes ago, Gistradagis said:

My guess, like others have said, is that Broken Realms will be our Psychic Awakening... but somewhat smaller. Considering it'll begin towards the end of the year, and AoS 3 will come out almost for sure next summer, it might add some rules and stuff to the factions that need it the most, purely to get the ground ready for the new edition. Just like how PA was (apparently) made with 9th in mind, Broken Realms will be done with AoS 3 in mind.

This would confirm a suspicion I had commented on already, which is that factions which kinda needed an update won't get it, and we'll probably just get extra, additive material until next summer and AoS 3. Does break my heart a little bit as a Maggotkin player who has been waiting for an update for for over a year now, but I kind of get it (and perhaps I should be happy we won't get more .9 factions getting rules at the end of an edition).

Edit: I do wonder if we'll get Malerion/Shadow Elves before AoS 3 though. Would love to get my hands on them.

Did you read Wrath of the Everchosen? Maggotkin got some very useful sub factions there. 

I really doubt AoS 3 will land the coming summer though, I could easily see them going with the broken realms format until summer 2022 maybe, adding a model here and there.

It boggles my mind though that they release all these models in warbands to warcry and underworlds, and make a big deal out of 2 models for the main game... you made 30+ unique sculpts to warcy/underworlds the next months? and 2 for AoS? ok... with that effort they could revitalize the entire seraphon model line or something like that.

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Magmadroth isn’t separate? Never knew. 

Yeah GW lists the Magmadroth on its own, but they note in the listing that you get the whole Getting Started set and its the same price. It's like how GW lists duel kits each as their own product on the store. 

Just now, Scurvydog said:

Did you read Wrath of the Everchosen? Maggotkin got some very useful sub factions there. 

No, it got 2 decent subfactions (emphasis on decent, although wandering is more on the good side), and 2 terrible subfactions, neither of which solved the main problem (really outdated warscrolls for most units, falling off in power unless you rely on stuff like Marauders from StD, among others). So, yes, I very much read Wrath.

2 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

I really doubt AoS 3 will land the coming summer though, I could easily see them going with the broken realms format until summer 2022 maybe, adding a model here and there.

Everything that has happened up until now confirms the cyclic 3 years between editions. 40k, AoS, then other games, and start anew. It'd be very shocking if AoS 3 didn't show up next summer. Also, PA started around October last year iirc, then culminated with 9th this summer. Bit of a coincidence there.

2 hours ago, Nos said:

Not that there is much "Persian" about them either. Persians wore more clothes than the Greeks and were considerably more modest in that sense. 

But they are excessively "Frank Miller makes up a Persian civilisation which is the antithesis of Western idealised classical heterosexual masculinity". 

I'm glad I'm not the only one objecting to the Slaaneshi aesthetic being considered "Persian". Having never seen 300, and kind of forgotten it was a thing, I was kind of confused for a moment there what everyone was talking about!

For reference this is what an ancient Persian aesthetic looks like.

image.jpeg.5affc4366c8a85db7338c9f994aa61c0.jpeg

• Like 4

Okay so my break down:

Horus Heresy: Space Marines but they are more Brutal!!! For me these will continue to exist alongside all the other Space Marines. Malibu Stacy with a new(er) hat. I am slowly being introduced to 40k but the Imperium and Space Marines continue to leave me cold. 

Necromunda: These are some dope models. I love the armour and dogs, overall these are fantastic looking. I don't play Necromunda but I am slowly being worn down by the quality of these gangs! If this was the aesthetic of Space Marines they would pique my interest 😛 

40K: Necron with Six Guns, part of me is pretty lukewarm that this had a huge reveal and could have just as easily been announced alongside all the other necron/space marines news from the past few weeks.... but that trailer was fantastic and the model is really cool. The two books are decent announcements but I am surprised that there was no new codexes announced. I feel like that terrain piece is a good proof of concept for what I have been arguing in relationship to a guard tower for AOS. But it also shows that such siege mechanics would likely be in their own little rules update supplement book. In the chat people seemed angry at the thought of bringing their own terrain but I feel it will be possible to continue using story/hobby shop terrain unless I missed something?

Warcry: I was immediately pumped for this, the board looks great and the factions even better. I was really excited seeing the Scions of Flame and knowing that I would add them to my Slaves to darkness. I was sad that the amazing Khainite warriors would not work well with my army but maybe I could think of a way to proxy them....

Underworlds: Neat, I love Slaanesh and i think the Lumineth are an amaz... IS THAT A SLAANGOR!!! Also Chamleon Skinks are the greatest of all time and if that is Oxyotl I will be one happy fan! Arena of death sounds cool but I don't play Underworlds so I will enjoy it from afar. Overall some cool announcements.

Age of Sigmar: I already posted my thoughts on this matter but I was so excited to see my two favourite armies sharing a box. I will have to purchase this and it made the Warcry announcement retroactively that much more exciting as I will now add both warbands to my collection. I do not read much in the way of lore but a book about Morathi and Slaanesh sounds like it will be right up my alley. I am a little confused about whether it is a lore or campaign book (possibly both)? 

Overall thoughts: Not as much new as I would have hoped but barring Horus Heresy I really loved all the announcements and Selfishly this dual box is exactly what I would have wanted. Sadly, I will likely have to find my Idoneth a good home as I will be starting two new armies. Luckily, I can run my Slaves to Darkness alongside Slaanesh and play my three favourite armies while avoiding some of the more potentially problematic aspects of Slaanesh as a faction. So I was very pleased with these reveals.

I will say, I was really surprised at the lack of News for SoB or Death!

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

Some really gorgeous previews and a reasonably exciting battle box. Although I've struggled to get into WHU the new previews for that game look spectacular. I really really really hope that the owl thing shows up in other Lumineth kits at some point.

I'm somewhere between blase and over the moon with the new Broken Realms books. I absolutely love the concept, and as long as they have some associated model releases and/or matched play rules like previous campaign books they will be an amazing opportunity to flesh out and update existing armies without a full battletome release. I've been pushing for this release model for years and will be thrilled if they are actually doing it. Will for sure buy every book.

That said, my excitement will be severely tempered if they are intended to only be valid until the next GHB. That would mean a really short shelf life for anything that comes out in the Spring, and with the 'rona still raging it would be such a shame for these new releases to be around for a few months to a year and never see much play. I'm super thankful for TTS (by the way: if you haven't tried TTS yet you really should), but it's not quite the same.

So if we're still battling the pandemic next Summer and these rules get stomped by the next GHB, I'll still like the concept but it'll be solidly meh for me. If these are intended to be part of the game for the next couple of years though then I'm super stoked.

It blows my mind that GW still hasn't clarified exactly what they meant by "previous publications".

3 hours ago, novakai said:

well they said that about Sister of Battle too but they got a PA supplement in the end as well so

No they didn't. There were 0 Sisters of battle rules in that supplement. (Ephrael Stern was imperium not really sisters).

2 hours ago, Austin said:

The Idoneth picture used in the preview for Broken Realms: Morathi gives me some (likely false) hope that our favorite undersea misanthropes have not been forgotten!

I sincerely doubt they have been between the new art and crab claw in the rumour engine* I believe that new Idoneth love is just on the horizon :)

I feel elves in general are going to have a massive year leading up to 3rd edition and then our bearded friends will show us how to truly fight.

*curious how many rumour engines were resolved from this preview? I feel like the weapons on both heroes resolved some...

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

I sincerely doubt they have been between the new art and crab claw in the rumour engine I believe that new Idoneth love is just on the horizon :)

I wouldn't use Rumor engines as a basis of new models for X faction, usually lead to salt when it ends up as something else entirely

though with Broken realm they said that every AOS army is going to get some content much like how every 40k army got rules expansion in PA

IDK probably get something from Broken realms: Morathi if they are featured in the book

• Like 1

2 hours ago, novakai said:

I wouldn't use Rumor engines as a basis of new models for X faction, usually lead to salt when it ends up as something else entirely

though with Broken realm they said that every AOS army is going to get some content much like how every 40k army got rules expansion in PA

IDK probably get something from Broken realms: Morathi if they are featured in the book

You are probably right and as @Killamike points out it could easily be from another faction in a different game system. I am just excited for the Aelven love going on and clearly jumping to conclusions 😅

Lets just hope that Orruks, Duardin and even those oft forgotten 'humans' will get some much needed attention in the near future. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, novakai said:

Very early on, there were a lot of clearly Fantasy Rumor Engines that ended up being Stormcast, and since then, I’ve pretty much assumed that every one of them is a new stormcast model.

6 hours ago, Killamike said:

Crab claw is Probs from that slaanesh beastman in the Underworlds preview. 

I don't think they match.

bgNZROL.png

crabclaw.png

The beastman claw looks wider and thinner, plus the rumour claw looks to have segmented armour moving away from the claw itself whereas the the beastman claw seems to go into a more "human" write and arm. The angle of the joint in the crab claw versus beastman claw also seems different. Lastly, I don't think it would make sense for the slaanesh claw to feature barnacles. 

There is close to 100% chance of a Deepkin band for Underworlds, basically any newish army that hasn't featured yet has to be high on that list. I am just hopeful we get something more than that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another yearly aos event with far reaching consequences for all the aos factions and new war cry and new dire chasm. And not an order human model in sight. Lumineth havent even released as a full army yet and they get an underworlds warband before humans. Not to mention to say seraphim are the most requested underworlds warbands is laughable I've seen thousands of requests for new freeguild models. A real shame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1