The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

To piggyback off this a bit, I have to say I strongly dislike what they've done to maintain the "sexy" image of Slaanesh. I get it that some people just prefer models that are more... mammaryily inclined, but there were so many people complaining that the new Slaanesh models weren't "sexy" enough that it's quite disheartening. It's no secret that Raging Heroes makes a lot of Slaanesh rip offs, but all of them boil down to sexualised boredom that, imo, give people a very narrow minded view of the Dark Prince. 

A bit of a rant, but it disappoints me when I see people say that the Raging Heroes models are the "real" Slaanesh, and GW is too sanitised. In my opinion, sexualised models are cheap and aesthetically dull, and often end up with people conflating Slaanesh as the sex god. The more interesting and challenging depiction of that god is to look at Slaanesh as a concept of excess - of anything - which the new models show better (not perfectly, as that would be impossible considering the vagueness of excess, but the baphomet theme on the KoS is on point). 

TL;DR their Slaanesh rip offs are boring and only hurt the image of the Dark Prince

This is something I feel GW themselves have failed at getting across as well. The infernal enrapturess and Syll'eskke are great examples of non-stereotypical slaanesh. I'd love for the mortals release (if it ever happens) to have units that show off more than just beauty and seduction.

Whether it's symbiotic obsession like syll'eskke or artistic pursuit taken to the depraved extreme like the enrapturess. I'd love for the basic horde infantry to be pain cultists obsessed with sensation, for the elites to be duelists or warriors obsessed with martial mastery like the classic mirror guard. Musicians who can affect the battle with their music and artists who "paint" the battlefield with blood, fire or some crazy alchemy. Even integrate stuff from other factions, ogre units/heroes obsessed with eating or a wizard unit obsessed with mastering magic that gets better as the battle goes on or learns from their enemies. They did a good job with the daemons in that they're generally excessive because they drive the mortals to excess but the mortals are the opportunity to really get the point across with the units having an obsessive fixation on a particular craft or sensation. 

2 hours ago, Frowny said:

I agree and disagree. The new Keeper of Secrets is Stunning. Beautiful and sexual but without any cheap nudity. Elegant and deadly, exactly as Slaanesh should be. That being said, I don't really like the new deamonettes. BDSM demons is just as aesthetically monotone as Sexy demons, just in a different dimension. At least the Diaz ones felt elegant, which these dont. The new fiends fit that aesthetic though, so I quite like them, but most of the chariots and such are somewhat flat. 

Maybe when they redo noise marines it will get itself sorted.

Yeah, the new Keeper is probably among my 10 ten models GW has made of all time, and I don't even play Slaanesh. It is stunning for sure

I also tend to agree they did a pretty good job with the most recent wave, and I'm hoping it sold well enough to justify a second wave at some point before too long. 

9 hours ago, Enoby said:

22 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

From what I’ve seen, this company is scum that just piggybacks off gw and has no original ideas of their own. Everything is a direct copy of gw stuff, but just different enough to avoid legal problems. Either that or over sexualised trash

To piggyback off this a bit, I have to say I strongly dislike what they've done to maintain the "sexy" image of Slaanesh. I get it that some people just prefer models that are more... mammaryily inclined, but there were so many people complaining that the new Slaanesh models weren't "sexy" enough that it's quite disheartening. It's no secret that Raging Heroes makes a lot of Slaanesh rip offs, but all of them boil down to sexualised boredom that, imo, give people a very narrow minded view of the Dark Prince. 

A bit of a rant, but it disappoints me when I see people say that the Raging Heroes models are the "real" Slaanesh, and GW is too sanitised. In my opinion, sexualised models are cheap and aesthetically dull, and often end up with people conflating Slaanesh as the sex god. The more interesting and challenging depiction of that god is to look at Slaanesh as a concept of excess - of anything - which the new models show better (not perfectly, as that would be impossible considering the vagueness of excess, but the baphomet theme on the KoS is on point). 

TL;DR their Slaanesh rip offs are boring and only hurt the image of the Dark Prince

I also never got why Slaanesh has no overly fat department. Where followers can’t get enough of the tantalising experiences of food and drink.
Or more of the arrogant posing and looks of sigvald. Being completely invested in becoming the best swords(wo)man alive. 
Or maybe the vice of greed as a central point for a sub faction/models  

in WHFB it got to the point where I had the theory Khaine was actually an offshoot of Slaanesh. They were all about the exciliration of the kill. Not brute force no matter the cost get the skull. And with the cults of Slaanesh I was truly expecting the big reveal... sadly never came. 

just sex is a Boring theme, but removing it would in the same way be boring. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Frowny said:

At least the Diaz ones felt elegant, which these dont.

One day I'll put together all the Diaz daemonettes I've got hiding in a box under the spare bed...

5 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I also never got why Slaanesh has no overly fat department. Where followers can’t get enough of the tantalising experiences of food and drink.

I think they do, but they're more likely to be aristocrats rather than fighters so unlikely to be seen in the front line (thus unlikely to get a model).  They're also more likely to attract the attention of the Witch Hunters because being overweight isn't going to be particularly common even in Azyr where life is comparatively safe.

I can see one of Slaanesh's ultimate gifts being the ability to eat to the point of passing out, but never gain weight - I reckon that would be one of the easiest ways to fall to that dark god actually.  Especially during a festival season!

3 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I can see one of Slaanesh's ultimate gifts being the ability to eat to the point of passing out, but never gain weight - I reckon that would be one of the easiest ways to fall to that dark god actually.  Especially during a festival season!

I know right now is the season of Nurgle, but wouldn't we all switch for that come christmas season ;) 

3 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

think they do, but they're more likely to be aristocrats rather than fighters so unlikely to be seen in the front line (thus unlikely to get a model).  They're also more likely to attract the attention of the Witch Hunters because being overweight isn't going to be particularly common even in Azyr where life is comparatively safe.

I think a more likely explanation is that it would be too close to the Nurgle look in terms of models. But you're right, you can absolutely explain it narratively. But you can explain basically everything in an open setting like AoS. So just gimme my fat cannibals that heal if they wound you with a bite attack.... oh wait I already play Ogors. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

make them a bit like slightly more refined troggoths or apocryphal Roman diners, who can gorge on a great feast and then hose the enemy down with fragrant bile by sticking a crab claw down their throats.

• Like 2

Selling fast just means that they are models which GW is selling at a rate which will run them out of stock "soon" but also where they won't be recasting them for a bit. They aren't being removed, just that new stock for them might take longer to appear than normal. 

• Like 1

The trend to make Chaos "simpler" and more "kid-friendly" (especially Slaanesh) - or as I also like to say more understandable and relatable - really didn't help the concept - Chaos is more than your run of the mill saturday cartoon villain. Slaanesh is excess (and denial, which is what makes Slaanesh a truly cruel master), not just sex and beauty (which is part of it). Very interesting posts in here. I think it would be nice to infuse more eldritch horror back into big 4 and stop dumbing them down - young people do not need to be patronized, they could full well handle even darker aspects. Chaos is at its best when even good intentions can corrupt you - right now it's pretty ham-fisted where any thinking creature would immediately think "oh this path is gonna damn me, let's not do that".

I'd also like to see more disturbing horrors/creatures for Tzeentch personally but outside of removing eyes (sorry, Micolash) that is extremely unlikely to happen. I understand that complex Chaos is not the most family-friendly thing but then again I see no harm in it either.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

Selling fast just means that they are models which GW is selling at a rate which will run them out of stock "soon" but also where they won't be recasting them for a bit. They aren't being removed, just that new stock for them might take longer to appear than normal. 

But it implies that they are candidates to be removed in a future too. You don't make less stock that the sales indicate you need to cover a huge demand.

21 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

But it implies that they are candidates to be removed in a future too. You don't make less stock that the sales indicate you need to cover a huge demand.

Unless your factory and warehouse packing can't operate at full capacity. 

Which is what GW has right now. With covid regulations they can't produce anywhere near at their original volume; meanwhile their product demand has gone up and they also missed 2-3 months of production. As a result GW can't simply produce things to replace at the normal speed. Again the "selling out fast" doesn't mean that this stuff is selling like crazy; just that GW isn't holding much of it in stock and what sales rate there is, is greater than the stock and will soon run out. When it does those models don't have a re-cast slot in the system for a period of time longer than GW would normally leave. 

They are also using it, like their recent "Loot Boxes" to run their inventory low so that they are leaving room to store up other things in production (likely new releases - GW might be trying to produce new stuff further in advance than normal since they can't do a big push. So they have to spread out new releases much further which means needing more warehouse space to store things. 

edit - another thought is that with covid regulations GW might be spreading their warehouse setup out far more so - allowing them to use more staff in the same space whilst keeping safe, but dramatically cutting down on how much room they have for storage space of models. Ergo push some of those shelves to the side and use more room to allow space for staff to pick and pack. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Eh, I don't believe it's really all that indicative. Stormcast have made the list more than once, and they certainly aren't going anywhere.

1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

The first unit on 40k's Selling Fast are Intercessors and I really don't think those're going to be squat'ed anytime soon, do you?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

The first unit on 40k's Selling Fast are Intercessors and I really don't think those're going to be squat'ed anytime soon, do you?

Well you never know, considering how tactical squad are coming back into the meta again.😂

jokes aside, I doubt it either.

It would be stupid of them to discontinue the newest made stuff.
Especially, when it sells that good

7 hours ago, Sharkbelly said:

Have there been many rumors about this? I hadn't heard any.

It mostly seems to be idle speculation, largely fuelled by Blackstone Fortress winding down and rumour engine pictures that appear to be for already established armies. This has lead to speculation that there might be a new Warhammer Quest game primarily focused on undead but it is just as likely that these are models from Warcry or Underworlds.

I wasn't hoping to fan the flames regarding this speculation. I was simply curious if the people who were speculating or hoping for a new Quest game saw this as proof for or against. Sorry, for any confusion I may have caused. 

3 hours ago, Ogregut said:

Also don't forget their new factory is built and they will be moving production to that site for the autumn. Running stock down and doing the supply boxes to clear inventory makes sense. Less stuff to move the easier it is. 

The new factory is on the same overall site. Whilst I'm sure some things will move around, they won't have to wholesale move their operation. The new factory is to compliment and expand their existing production capacity, not to replace it. 

12 minutes ago, Overread said:

The new factory is on the same overall site. Whilst I'm sure some things will move around, they won't have to wholesale move their operation. The new factory is to compliment and expand their existing production capacity, not to replace it. 

The new factory is in Leicestershire. 

37 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

The new factory is in Leicestershire. 

Nope, that's the new warehouse and distribution hub that you're thinking of. https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/huge-warehouse-games-workshop-completed-4349075

The factory site itself is remaining at their Nottingham site, interestingly the land they are building the factory on was land GW sold in previous years and has now bought back to develop. https://www.eastmidlandsbusinesslink.co.uk/mag/property/expansion-set-for-games-workshops-nottingham-hq/ They are also keeping local warehousing at the Nottingham site as well; so chances are this just means shipping large amounts of stock from A to B to be sorted and then parcelled out. 

• Like 1

In the future potentially every Faction could have a piece of Scenery. What Scenery would you like to see for which Faction? 

Personally I'd love to see a massive Gargant encampment ramshackle hut. Or a massive wooden throne made from felled trees roughly hewn together.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

In the future potentially every Faction could have a piece of Scenery. What Scenery would you like to see for which Faction? 

Personally I'd love to see a massive Gargant encampment ramshackle hut. Or a massive wooden throne made from felled trees roughly hewn together.

I feel this warrants its own thread. Here are my initial ideas with no thought towards balance or gameplay:

Chaos: S2D: I think a chaos realmgate showcasing their control over the Eightpoints would be cool. It could function similarly to the baleful realmgates. Or maybe it permits the summoning of a single demon unit depending on the mark of your general (Furies, Horrors, Bloodletters, Deamonettes, Plaguebearers).
DoT: This one is hard, but something mutated and strange. I keep on settling on an obelisk with tentacles and eyes. Obvious effect would be to increase spells but I would like it to have a chance of changing dying heroes into chaos spawn like with Gavespawn.

Death: LoN: I think getting an actual piece of scenery to represent their Gravesites would be great.
Nighthaunt: Maybe an ethereal gallows or some such. Any unit slain nearby gives a chance of healing a certain amount of wounds, as the enemy spirits are sent to hang instead of the nighthaunt?

Destruction: Warclans: I feel a ramshackle bunker that could be garrisoned would be neat (kinda like the burrow in warcraft 3). 
SOB: I think an overturned caravan with trapped survivors for a potential meal would be great. Functionally similar to a mawpot but with the giants having to physically go there to grab a snack to heal.

Order: Cities of Sigmar: A Brewery with Bugman signs. It would could be garrisoned and maybe provide a chance to heal, maybe on a roll of one they become inebriated and get a minus one to hit.
Daughters of Khaine: A sacrificial alter you could sacrifice units for benefits to spell casting and prayers
KO: Some kind of port to allow ships to repair.
Realm lords: An Aetherquartz rock (shaped like a cow). It will could allow a replenishment of Aetherquartz once per-battle?
Stormcast: I think that some kind of religious icon like a statue of Sigmar that benefited prayers would be sensible.

Neutral: But above all I want some reasonable siege mechanics and a modular set of towers and walls to create a small fortress or even have the towers be defensible on their own. I have argued before and will again this would be a really neat inclusion in the next starter set to encourage learning a new set of siege rules and encourage players to buy modular scenery that would fit with the starter set without being draconian and preventing players from using homemade scenery. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

I would have to say cool terrain that is designed for looks purposes to be part of a specific faction is awesome but the specific faction terrain that has associated rules in AOS like my Gloomtide Shipwrecks or any other large faction terrain pieces I would say none for me please. Carrying around my boxes of plastic is rough enough before adding any large terrain pieces. I know some get upset when an army is updated with no faction specific terrain but personally when my KO didn't get anything I was pretty relieved. But to each their own! I do love me some good terrain though. 

• Like 1