The Rumour Thread

5 hours ago, Mattrulesok said:

If my wife and I are in our loungeroom and an adult tiger gets in you wouldn't say we control the room because we outnumber it right?

XD Best exemple of the day! Sometime we are in the living room with my wife and our cat and I dont really think we could say that we have control on the sofa ;)

I agree that it could make the job to have a "objective controll wieght" on behemoths damage table.

Edited by RedMax
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

The disjoint though is that it often isn't clear what your fighting for and how your models "should" be interacting with it.  If your objective is to control a bridge, then a ghorgon would control that better than any pair of goblins, no matter how clever (unless they can lure the ghorgon "more than 6-inches away," which works thematically and mechanically.)

If, alternatively, the objective you're trying to control is the Tome of Super Deadly Magical Doom, one little goblin clutching that to his chest would be able to hold that over a dozen ghorgons, who wouldn't have the combined brain-power to turn a page.

All of this is definitely overthinking the game mechanics, which are kept vague and simple to avoid three pages of rules for each objective, but it highlights the disparity in perception amongst the players. We can literally interpret an objective to be anything, and there's going to be frustration when it doesn't make sense to us.

Yeah, totally. The objectives in the game are really neither of these things.

"Holding" a bridge is something that only matters in potential until somebody else tries to cross it. Our objectives aren't about access, because they contribute to a strategic victory whether or not anyone is actually using that access (and the areas where your forces can and can't move freely are clearly delineated in other ways, such as engagement range). That doesn't make sense in the real world. They're also not like a Book of Doom, because you could just pick that up and run off with it. Really, they're a big circle on the ground with a sign that says "Stand here to win", which aren't a common thing in real battles. AoS objectives are very much about game, and not so much narrative.

28 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

Ultimately, my issue with monsters and objectives is that monsters are specifically designed to simulate a unit of models slowly being whittled down (as they take damage,their attacks, damage, and overall effectiveness decreases, just like any unit with multiple models.) They don't take battleshock, but the decrease in damage/movement compensates for that. In every way but one they are a unit represented by a single model. And that one way - obviously- is when it comes to holding objectives. Several people have already suggested that their wounds should count towards their ability to hold an objective, and I largely agree.

Alternatively, if they're not going to become better at holding objectives, lets take away brackets. Let them be one model that is an absolute wrecking ball until they are finally put down. The ability to manipulate your opponent by charging a monster at their lines that they absolutely must deal with quickly and decisively would become a powerful strategy, and while you'd likely still loose them to a powerful shooting army, that turn spent focusing on your monster would be a turn your other troops can get into position. At least in theory.

I think there's enough of a distinction that it still matters. Monsters degrade, but they don't degrade nearly as much as units. Some monsters barely reduce in effectiveness when they take damage, and many have access to command abilities that let them fight at full effectiveness regardless of their current wounds. Degrading profiles is much more about making the opponent feel like their attacks are having some impact, which can otherwise be demoralising and not fun.

Monsters can (and in my opinion should) still be wrecking balls, even if their profiles degrade. But most of them are too cheap, and therefore too weak. A Ghorgon only costs what, 160 points? Of course it sucks! Make it 300+ points and give it a profile to match, and it will rip infantry apart like it's supposed to. A Frostlord on Stonehorn (at 400 points) will annihilate pretty much any unit you put them into, as well they should - it doesn't matter that they get weaker when they take damage, they feel like a proper monster on the table because they have so much impact. That's what I'd like to see for other monsters too.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

Has anything come up about the Snotling Blood Bowl team release date that I missed? I know it isn't AoS specifically, but I want to use them for some Gloomspite conversions. I need that Pump Wagon in my life.

No release date or further info has come along unfortunately. In August we have the 2 Underworlds Warbands releasing, along with what I'm sure will be a tonne of 40K releases, though I wouldnt be suprised to see the Snotling Team and Treeman released in August as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Infernalslayer said:

I think the problem with most monsters, like a Ghorgon, is not that they can't hold an objective, but that they can't clear horde units (or chaff) either to make way for your troops to go for the objective.

So most (non-hero) monsters are not good for either role other than be cool looking pieces on the table.

That´s the main problem of most of the monsters. Being a "single model unit" it´s great to control the movement of enemy units, but they´re just support units unable to control objetives.

Is anyone low key happy AOS releases are taking a little longer at this time? I wish I could give @KingBrodd his Giants and all you Lumineth Players all your minis (I play Deepkin so I still hatez you all because Teclis SuCkZ). Between finishing off I think over 3000pts of Deepkin and now I am finishing up my KO it gives me another 3 months to save money for real life and also focus on becoming a better player. I am still stoked for new releases but just trying to think on the bright side with all the 40k stuff going on and the snails pace AOS is having with releases right now.

Still I am hoping for Vampirates or something Vampire themed! Maybe a new Deepkin Tome to make turtles great again. *Wait to make turtles great for once*

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Me too! I need my Vampires! Until then I'll keep playing my Vampire themed Khorne Army. Just finished kit bashing my Vampire Lord on Karkadrak.

Do you mind sharing? But seriously, where the hell are the vampires? They’re mentioned in lore as much as Chaos dwarfs but still no new models!

6 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

Do you mind sharing? But seriously, where the hell are the vampires? They’re mentioned in lore as much as Chaos dwarfs but still no new models!

Sure. Here's where I'm at so far. Probably 85% complete painting it. Need to do some clean up, etc. Also here's a picture of Vampire Lord (that I use as a proxy for my Chaos Lord on foot). Lighting isn't perfect, lots of reflection here but you get the idea.

20200722_093836.jpg

20200722_094105.jpg

20200524_164346.jpg

Edited by BaylorCorvette
  • Like 10
  • LOVE IT! 2

49 minutes ago, NkfPanda said:

Is anyone low key happy AOS releases are taking a little longer at this time? I wish I could give @KingBrodd his Giants and all you Lumineth Players all your minis (I play Deepkin so I still hatez you all because Teclis SuCkZ). Between finishing off I think over 3000pts of Deepkin and now I am finishing up my KO it gives me another 3 months to save money for real life and also focus on becoming a better player. I am still stoked for new releases but just trying to think on the bright side with all the 40k stuff going on and the snails pace AOS is having with releases right now.

Still I am hoping for Vampirates or something Vampire themed! Maybe a new Deepkin Tome to make turtles great again. *Wait to make turtles great for once*

Thanks mate!! I just wish we had what we've been shown. I think if we had the rest of the Lumineth drop and the Sons everyone would be taking the slow pace right now very well, it's just that AOS' release schedule has taken a hit from the pandemic. Again if we had these things I think people would be ok.

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

Thanks mate!! I just wish we had what we've been shown. I think if we had the rest of the Lumineth drop and the Sons everyone would be taking the slow pace right now very well, it's just that AOS' release schedule has taken a hit from the pandemic. Again if we had these things I think people would be ok.

If we had a bit more communication about people would be fine already I think. Like the road map things. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Kramer said:

If we had a bit more communication about people would be fine already I think. Like the road map things. 

A temporary road map would go such a long way!! Even if its literally the next 3 months or at least as long as needs be for these announced releases and once their done that's it.

35 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

This thread should be renamed to "Rumors, General Chatter, and @KingBrodd still wants his gargants" with some kind of marker for an actual rumor post. 

😄

Hahahaha mate that gave me a good laugh!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

A temporary road map would go such a long way!! Even if its literally the next 3 months or at least as long as needs be for these announced releases and once their done that's it.

Hahahaha mate that gave me a good laugh!!

I’ve been saying a roadmap is something I would love to see and I was so happy to see Warhammer Underworld one.

I really hope is the first of a new process. 

5 hours ago, NkfPanda said:

Is anyone low key happy AOS releases are taking a little longer at this time? I wish I could give @KingBrodd his Giants and all you Lumineth Players all your minis 

Yeah same here. As you say i hope ppeople wont have to wait to long for the things already showed, it is tough to wait long for things you want so badly and already teased. But from a personal perspective I am actually quiet happy with the delay on any other new stuff. Not just for saving money but also for peace of mind and finally finish more stuff then I buy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Lowki said:

Yeah same here. As you say i hope ppeople wont have to wait to long for the things already showed, it is tough to wait long for things you want so badly and already teased. But from a personal perspective I am actually quiet happy with the delay on any other new stuff. Not just for saving money but also for peace of mind and finally finish more stuff then I buy. 

Haha that’s why I set a painting deadline for the end of august 🙈

6 hours ago, NkfPanda said:

Is anyone low key happy AOS releases are taking a little longer at this time? I wish I could give @KingBrodd his Giants and all you Lumineth Players all your minis (I play Deepkin so I still hatez you all because Teclis SuCkZ)

I am somewhat disappointed, but understand, in the delay with the Lumineth.  Especially, with 9th edition 40k.  I have been through enough edition changes to know it's probably best to hold off playing for a few months so all the players who basically hate game but have hope this time it will be better get fed up and leave again.  So I have been wanting to play a lot more AoS in the meanwhile. 

I am stoked about playing Lumineth (my second AoS army).  However, with the September release, and I assume late September; it won't be until I probably want to get back to 40k before I have my army battleready. 

I guess it is what it is though.  Not like I have a shortage of things to paint.  Besides which, I don't do nearly as much painting during the summer anyways.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Saturmorn Carvilli said:

Especially, with 9th edition 40k.  I have been through enough edition changes to know it's probably best to hold off playing for a few months so all the players who basically hate game but have hope this time it will be better get fed up and leave again. 

Where I come from the regulars are almost exclusively made up of people who hate the game or GW in some dimension or other. The ones who burn out and leave are typically the newbies who start out all starry eyed and end up turned off the hobby thanks to punishing balance issues, extreme price of the newer ranges and frankly insane rules complexity.

Seems like every week there's some new guy playing Primaris Space Marines who shows up a few times and then vanishes, while the salty grognards keep the tables hot, grumbling all the while but never really separating themselves from the hobby. I think Sigmar only changed this up from Fantasy because the End Times fiasco pushed out almost the entire ambient population all at once.

21 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

Where I come from the regulars are almost exclusively made up of people who hate the game or GW in some dimension or other. The ones who burn out and leave are typically the newbies who start out all starry eyed and end up turned off the hobby thanks to punishing balance issues, extreme price of the newer ranges and frankly insane rules complexity.

Seems like every week there's some new guy playing Primaris Space Marines who shows up a few times and then vanishes, while the salty grognards keep the tables hot, grumbling all the while but never really separating themselves from the hobby. I think Sigmar only changed this up from Fantasy because the End Times fiasco pushed out almost the entire ambient population all at once.

I really hate it when the LGS has this kind of culture. It's all but a guarantee that the hobby dies slowly in that area because the new blood gets turned away while the store owners are too afraid of losing core customers to confront the people that are hamstringing their business.

A smart store will identify people who can be ambassadors to new players and steer the new folks toward the kind of people who are more positive about the hobby and who will actually make an effort to make new players feel welcome and play down to that level when needed.

The more time I spend in this hobby (and other in-person gaming hobbies), the more convinced I am that a hugely underrated factor in the success or failure of LGS is the emotional intelligence of the owner and core employees.

• Like 12

39 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

I really hate it when the LGS has this kind of culture. It's all but a guarantee that the hobby dies slowly in that area because the new blood gets turned away while the store owners are too afraid of losing core customers to confront the people that are hamstringing their business.

A smart store will identify people who can be ambassadors to new players and steer the new folks toward the kind of people who are more positive about the hobby and who will actually make an effort to make new players feel welcome and play down to that level when needed.

The more time I spend in this hobby (and other in-person gaming hobbies), the more convinced I am that a hugely underrated factor in the success or failure of LGS is the emotional intelligence of the owner and core employees.

One of my first experiences as kid in a GW store was of a grown man child screaming about some rules imbalance and begging his opponent to re-do his turn. Eventually a store employee told him to stop or leave but the impression was already made on me, I've never played a game that wasnt at home or with friends because of that encounter. There have been far more lovely ones when in store but that one sticks with me, plus the smell...god some people really need to learn personal hygiene.

• Like 9