The Rumour Thread

12 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

If so, then it's not hard to understand that a nearly global lockdown for three months that stops people playing games could affect this and cause the delay. How else can they polish points if they can't get feedback on how the points are being played?

I'm not a big gamer, more of a hobbyist, so maybe i'm missing something, but what exactly is the problem with the GHB2020 that needs urgent FAQing?

Kinda true but how much delay would lead to enough input? Again no communication makes it an annoyance. 

and the ‘problem’, because I do agree it’s a first world problem, is that I want to be excited for the new edition. I want to plan build and play my ogors in the new battleplans updated and fresh. Instead I’m waiting for something that I don’t know when it’s coming. 

Especially if you are the kind of gamer that collects only one list, not knowing what the changes are means not updating your army yet, even if you feel you should due to rule changes.  

Super annoying having to wait for point updates after purchasing the new GHB. 40k 9th is not even really out yet, but they already got FAQs and new points (at least man reads book style) for everyone despite edition not even being officially started before the 25th. 

For AoS they were happy to be paid for the GHB yet not point updates or FAQs yet, no update to warscroll builder or the app either, as they all work on the all important 40k stuff. As a paying customer that is rather disappointing and very frustrating as I am attending a tournament the 1st of august and right now I don't know if my list is even playable or if I need to speed paint anything.

GWs only statement is "the near future". Why are they so against anything resembling ETA's... I know it is easier to under promise and over deliver, but being so vague or saying nothing is beyond "under promise" it is just poor form.

Edited by Scurvydog
  • Like 6

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Kinda true but how much delay would lead to enough input? Again no communication makes it an annoyance. 

and the ‘problem’, because I do agree it’s a first world problem, is that I want to be excited for the new edition. I want to plan build and play my ogors in the new battleplans updated and fresh. Instead I’m waiting for something that I don’t know when it’s coming. 

Especially if you are the kind of gamer that collects only one list, not knowing what the changes are means not updating your army yet, even if you feel you should due to rule changes.  

That's a fair complaint. I just think they're going to make some misteps due to the unprecedented situation. I know it's no comfort if you're the one waiting on something tho, so I feel you brother.  

It would be very interesting to get a hold of their original planned release schedule and see if they've just pushed everything back by 3 months, but still in the same order or if they've chopped and changed round with a focus on the most profitable releases to keep them afloat. Maybe they wanted to get 40k out before a potential second increase in infections and subsequent lock down in the winter?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

That's a fair complaint. I just think they're going to make some misteps due to the unprecedented situation. I know it's no comfort if you're the one waiting on something tho, so I feel you brother.  

Yeah the waiting is fine. And even them messing up is fine. But in a marketing department you set goals and priorities and you know that focussing on oen product deviates attention away from another. And that a planning is all messed up is a given. 

But there were plenty of solutions. The easiest being a community post saying that the in depth look a GHB was going to be delayed. They didn't do anything, and that choice to not market one IP because it could hurt another. That might be a precedent. So what if production is limited will that mean they will keep 40K at 100% even it means lowering AoS production? It's just annoying, because I have nothing better to do today though ;)

5 minutes ago, Raviv said:

The Warscroll Builder is now updated with the points from the new GHB (I checked SCE). Maybe there are other changes there that are not in the GHB?

Going off memory I can't find changes for Mawtribes. So maybe later todya?

8 minutes ago, Raviv said:

The Warscroll Builder is now updated with the points from the new GHB (I checked SCE). Maybe there are other changes there that are not in the GHB?

It does not seem like anything but the stuff from the book has been changed, looking at STD, Orruks and OBR at least. If the rest of the changes were incoming shortly I'd almost assume they would do the builder in one big update, now with only the older books updated, I fear it might be some time before we see the FAQs and rest of the point changes.

1 hour ago, Scurvydog said:

Super annoying having to wait for point updates after purchasing the new GHB. 40k 9th is not even really out yet, but they already got FAQs and new points (at least man reads book style) for everyone despite edition not even being officially started before the 25th. 

For AoS they were happy to be paid for the GHB yet not point updates or FAQs yet, no update to warscroll builder or the app either, as they all work on the all important 40k stuff. As a paying customer that is rather disappointing and very frustrating as I am attending a tournament the 1st of august and right now I don't know if my list is even playable or if I need to speed paint anything.

GWs only statement is "the near future". Why are they so against anything resembling ETA's... I know it is easier to under promise and over deliver, but being so vague or saying nothing is beyond "under promise" it is just poor form.

Yeah especially when it is a matter of hours to update the App - just change a few numbers and be done with it. Every Intern could have done it within a day. I really don't get it. 

Edited by Naem

1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

It would be very interesting to get a hold of their original planned release schedule and see if they've just pushed everything back by 3 months, but still in the same order or if they've chopped and changed round with a focus on the most profitable releases to keep them afloat. Maybe they wanted to get 40k out before a potential second increase in infections and subsequent lock down in the winter?

Id say things were mixed up considering the point values of sons of behemoth in the ghb

2 hours ago, SunStorm said:

It's not a traditional starter set (no dice, templates, etc) and they do plan to make more as detailed in the made to order information:

4zo7z9xlaoa51.jpg

Yeah I was talking about before this. It seems weird it isn't just a permanent box set for 9th Ed. Also even if you say it isn't the starter, when have they released a big army box with the rulebook at launch of a new Ed which wasn't the starter set?

Well I am disappointed, in end may they should come ut with a release schedule not exactly dates but like  month of juni juli and so on. I was hype about giants but with no info I change my interest. To a arme I can bay on secend and market. And now I have already a project and have 0 interest in giants. Lost for GW, a lot of people want to get a new arme but is  waiting for point changes predict the meta. To longer they wait, the more they lose. 

Honestly I can see GW moving away from single box starter packs. Consider that:

1) An actual beginner isn't best served by a starter set. Sure it has rules and dice and counters, but it has two armies in it. A beginner only needs one so instantly they've got stuff they "don't want/need". This means they've either got to find a friend to split it with (not everyone will join with a friend) or try and find someone in the game club that they might not know all that well yet. 

2) There are only two armies on offer. This means that for the set to be worth anything to you you have got to want one of those two armies. If you've a friend joining in you've got to not only want one of the armies but your friend must want the other one; otherwise someone will be less than satisfied

3) In the past GW has put unique models in to the starter sets and then hit issues where the starter is kept in production and GW never gets around to retail releases of those models; As a result instead of beginners buying it, current gamers are the ones buying up the starters for those unique models for their own armies. Heck Indomitus only lacks card rulers and some dice and a quick-start-guide to make it a normal starter and who is buying it - not beginners but legions of current gamers. People who, in theory, shouldn't be the target market, but they are for it because it contains all the new shiny models at discount. 

In the end I can see GW moving toward perhaps producing a starter pack that has rules, dice, counters, clippers glue etc.. inside at discount and then alongside that having people choose the "getting started" set they want from an army. This means that you still get the same discount, but instead of being slaved to a single double pack; you get to pick from ANY army in the game. You don't have to find a friend; you don't have to sell off extras; you don't have to feel left out because you don't want one of the only two armies in the starter. Instead you can pick from any faction, you get the rules and glue and such and you still pick up a codex/battletome as normal. So for the customer they might spend the same or a bit less, but they get far more for their money.

It also has the benefit of not focusing a whole edition on two armies, instead it spreads the "load" of new gamers out over the entire range, which might well lead to some smoothing of the dispersal of armies played. Yes GW 

It would not surprise me if this is the path GW takes. Indomitus is basically just like all the other two army packs we've seen, only it contains all new models not just a few and it contains the rulebook for the new edition as well. Just keep going with the limited discount duel packs and then focus newbies into the getting started packs. 

49 minutes ago, Riavan said:

Yeah I was talking about before this. It seems weird it isn't just a permanent box set for 9th Ed. Also even if you say it isn't the starter, when have they released a big army box with the rulebook at launch of a new Ed which wasn't the starter set?

Why? It's a limited special box, so obviously it's not going to be permanently in sale. Little point to a limited product if it's not, well, limited.

And there's no use in comparing it with previous instances. GW has explicitly said the Indomitus box is NOT the starter box for 9th, but a sort of "celebration box" for 40k.

With regards to the AoS app. Listening to Monday AoS Honest Wargamer and they mentioned that the team behind the app have said that they are focusing on the 40k app and will come back to Azyr app. 

I've never paid for it, only used the free version, but I'd personally be cancelling my subscription if I was paying for a product that the manufacturer has admitted that they aren't bothering to update, especially during a critical period for the game (GBH release). 

Truly poor show on GW's part. And honestly the whole GHB feels like a damp squib of a release. Very little previews, very little focus from the community site. If gargants aren't dropped before the end of the month, it's truly a sign that AoS is the unloved step child of their franchise 😂

Edited by Tropical Ghost General
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

But this such a regression for them. The game exist 5 years, an updated edition and an update to every single army through points. And nothing, no communication, no celebration, all in favour for their bigger ip. 

i get that 40k gets more attention because it’s a bigger seller. But it really hurts the excitement and confidence if you don’t enjoy 40k but just play AoS. 

Don't forget that when AoS 2 got released 40k went without any major releases for a decent chunk of time - we even had the whole of a Warhammer Fest pretty much dedicated to AoS!

I'm pretty sure that had GW been up and running fully, we'd have seen something exciting happen for the anniversary, but they're currently not all back to work yet.  I know the WarCom team are working shifts to keep the number of staff in the building down and guess that the rest of the company are in a similar boat.  Makes it pretty difficult especially as they're now running 3 months behind.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

Truly poor show on GW's part. And honestly the whole GHB feels like a damp squib of a release. Very little previews, very little focus from the community site. If gargants aren't dropped before the end of the month, it's truly a sign that AoS is the unloved step child of their franchise 😂

Cut them some slack!  As I've just posted above, GW aren't fully back to work yet and going to be playing catch up for a while.  Expecting them to be producing content at the rate they were before lockdown isn't realistic.  The GHb release was always going to be a difficult one as not many people can actually play games due to Covid-19 - pretty rough to have a massive celebration showing what a great update it is when you can't even hug your gran let alone play AoS!

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Don't forget that when AoS 2 got released 40k went without any major releases for a decent chunk of time - we even had the whole of a Warhammer Fest pretty much dedicated to AoS!

I'm pretty sure that had GW been up and running fully, we'd have seen something exciting happen for the anniversary, but they're currently not all back to work yet.  I know the WarCom team are working shifts to keep the number of staff in the building down and guess that the rest of the company are in a similar boat.  Makes it pretty difficult especially as they're now running 3 months behind.

That's fair enough, but I guess it's also why the main problem people have right now is that GW is simply not talking to us. We don't really know the FAQ is coming late, we guessed so because Saturday came and there was nothing about the online pdf. They expressed that the changes would come late for Azyr, but nothing about posting the changes.

Now it's Monday (maybe even Tuesday) and we still don't really know if the online FAQ is dropping today, this Saturday, a couple weeks after the GHB 2020 or Nurgle knows when.

I do understand delays existing due to how busy 40k is right now, but I don't see how any of that explains them just not saying anything to the AoS fans about the FAQ.

Edited by Gistradagis

Just now, RuneBrush said:

Cut them some slack!

The situation around the GHB release has been poorly done though. 40k has already had FAQs and it's not released until 25th June. The GHB is the big main update to the game we play, and yet they've abandoned the app, not bothered with the points releases for the 8 factions needing them, offered no news or other insight as to what is going on. We all have moments in our life's where we are busy and struggle to commit as much as we'd like, but even during those busy times we still have time to send a quick message to say 'hey, we've not forgotten about you' which GW haven't done for AoS at the moment.

• Like 3