The Rumour Thread

On 7/8/2020 at 8:26 PM, KingBrodd said:

GW did say there was going to be humans in the kits so I am hoping that the handheld manlings arent the only ones!!

A crew of Humans would be awesome, 3 humans per the 3 Mega Gargants in the kit.

It would be the perfect place for self inserts of the design team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KingBrodd said:

AOS 3.0 will probably have SCE and whatever army they're facing off in the Boxed Set have the first new tomes. I'd love it to be Orruk Warclans but their tome is quite new compared to others so it could also end up being Nurgle, though I'd rather they stay away from the standard Good Guy vs Chaos boxed set.

Stormcast vs Grotbag Scuttlers...

The Grotbags finally flew up so high in their little ships that they actually reached the realm of heavens and have launched a full-scale assault to open the realmgate to Ghur allowing Gordrakk to bring the rest of his horde (including a spearhead of Gargants, of course)!

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

I guess the question becomes, how close is AoS 3.0, and does that mean getting a battletome now would ****** us up in the longer run? As a Maggotkin player I'm reaaaally looking forward to an update, but I'd hate to see a half-assed update *cough StD cough* and then be forgotten until late AoS 3.0.

Or, do they even want to update a faction with AoS 3.0 in the works? (if AoS 3.0 releases next year, it's safe to assume they're already working on it).

Honestly, all I care about right now is if I can lop off my Carnosaur’s arms, switch on a troglodon head, sling a Daemonette upon its back and have a Herald on Greater Steed (honestly, being able to put her on any giant critter will meet my needs, as R&C or wings are good enough for me). Or a Bloodletter Herald on a Dragon. Whichever. I have plans either way. 

46 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I think it's... DOK, Nurgle, and Nighthaunt that also need proper 2.0 books along with SCE? so there's a couple other matchups if the next starter set is Stormcast again.

Nurgle, DoK, LoN and Idoneth were released prior to 2.0. SCE and Nighthaunt were the first books released after 2.0.

2 hours ago, Laststand said:

They need warscroll rewrites far more than warscrolls. Paladins for example weighed down in armour plates bigger than some models still have a 4+ save and lightning formed stormcast have fairly average bravery. The points going down is nice but i feel that Cities armies will get a big benefit from it rather than pure stormcast. Incantor is a great hallowheart wizard, fulminators have a happy home in Living city etc. 

Stormcast should be the premier "elite" army, space marine analogues after all. So yeah, just dropping points it unappealing and it pushes other stuff to need to get cheaper to maintain cost relation to Stormcast.

48 minutes ago, Indecisive said:

Stormcast should be the premier "elite" army, space marine analogues after all. So yeah, just dropping points it unappealing and it pushes other stuff to need to get cheaper to maintain cost relation to Stormcast.

I think that is the interesting drawback to powercreep. If they update the premier faction at the beginning of each new edition and then have the other armies incrementally improve over them they get left behind. It is possible that this is by design as new players will buy into the star faction and then may want to move on as the edition progresses. But then it wraps around and they get the first round of updates in the following edition. 

2 hours ago, willange said:

Stormcast vs Grotbag Scuttlers...

The Grotbags finally flew up so high in their little ships that they actually reached the realm of heavens and have launched a full-scale assault to open the realmgate to Ghur allowing Gordrakk to bring the rest of his horde (including a spearhead of Gargants, of course)!

Yes please!!

13 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Yes but SCE and NH are very clearly behind the rest of 2.0, where DOK at the least has still excelled especially in tourneys.

I suspect considering there are very few changes in this General Handbook because AOS 3.0 is most likely coming soon. SCE and the early tomes need help in my opinion. 

Edited by shinros

8 minutes ago, shinros said:

I suspect considering there are very few changes in this General Handbook because AOS 3.0 is most likely coming soon. SCE and the early tomes need help in my opinion. 

I give it a good year for 3.0.

Gotta let 40K have it’s sunlight.

54 minutes ago, shinros said:

how soon do you think? I know any date we can guess will be pushed back 3-6 months because of pandemic stuff. I had figured Q2 or 3 2021 for AOS 3.0 originally; it gets both Lumineth and Gargants out for a while while giving GW room to update any lagging tomes before a larger change.

Judging by the 9th Edition move to digital content, AOS 3.0 should be following suit. I can only hope there are two separate programming teams to both lighten the load and keep release schedule(s) on time...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

how soon do you think? I know any date we can guess will be pushed back 3-6 months because of pandemic stuff. I had figured Q2 or 3 2021 for AOS 3.0 originally; it gets both Lumineth and Gargants out for a while while giving GW room to update any lagging tomes before a larger change.

Judging by the 9th Edition move to digital content, AOS 3.0 should be following suit. I can only hope there are two separate programming teams to both lighten the load and keep release schedule(s) on time...

Yeah the pandemic has most likely delayed things. You're right that at most we might see  AOS 3.0 around Q2 2021, as Fairbanks said GW will most likely want to focus on 9th edition for a bit.  I also think 9th is GW's push to digital as well, when 3.0 rolls around GW are likely going to do the same thing for the new edition of AOS. 

Edited by shinros

Do we have anything to go on with regard to a new edition release date? I remember GW bandying on about 4 year life cycle for editions. Three years for a young game is certainly plausible which would be next year. I still feel like this edition is still fresh so 2022 also seems very possible.

52 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

Do we have anything to go on with regard to a new edition release date? I remember GW bandying on about 4 year life cycle for editions. Three years for a young game is certainly plausible which would be next year. I still feel like this edition is still fresh so 2022 also seems very possible.

I assume you will probably have to adjust for an additional few months for COVID and the possibility of an other wave so 2022 seems likely.

Back in my day (said the crotchety nearly-50-year-old), four years between editions was indeed the general pattern.

There were sales models that slotted editions of WFB and 40K like the Olympics - each every four years, staggered by two. Then you do like international non-olympic competitions and sprinkle in a World Games (Necromunda, etc.) or other similar thing to keep people interested in off years.

I'm sure there were other sales models as well, like "sell as much as we can now now now."

There four year thing really did come across as the plan, though.

Edited by Sleboda

On 7/8/2020 at 11:58 AM, Overread said:

MOD NOTICE

Please respect the copyright of published content and don't link to photos of it on the forums. We are well aware that people get excited over new books and rules, but we do ask that you also respect the copyright of the material. The Generals Handbook is only days away from general release so it won't be long before you can get your copy or secure one to purchase direct if you've not already pre-ordered. 

Again we are aware people get excited over this stuff (so do we) so we aren't issuing out punishments/reprimands for this. 

Can someone please explain to me, why a rumour thread on a non-affiliated GW site isn’t allowed to post links to images freely available on the web?  It’s not like the people posting it are breaking laws of any kind, the leaks are already out there not by people on this forum (and even if they were, any breaking of law would be along the lines of NDA’s between staff and GW)? All I can assume, is that there are people who cruise this site who work for GW, who report back on said activity’s the result of which might lead to this site being sent cease and desist letters? All of which feels a little bit 1984, no? And again, what precisely is the point of a rumours thread then?

Yes, by all means speculate...  but if you happen to ACTUALLY know anything which can be substantiated, please refrain or use strange codified language reminiscent of warseer days, ermmm... yes that costs 12 skaven slaves.

Edited by warhammernerd
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1