The Rumour Thread

Until we reach the 6th edition point (for me, that's the in-universe  limit that happened between 3th and 6th edition of Fantasy),  we have a large margin to build our army as we want (AoS lore-friendly I would say). 

My advice, just enjoy the ride!! 

• Like 3

Without the grand alliances every old faction and every bit of lore since about 2019 has become a retcon or just worthless. Aos seems to get smaller and smaller everyday. Do white lions actually exist in the mortal realms? I have multiple pieces of fiction that say they do. Do freeguild knights? Multiple stories mention them. All the mercenary companies have now ceased to be. No cannons for anyone now. GW seem intent on purging the lines down to small factions with 6 kits each. Well apart from stormcast of course. Sons of behemat is a two kit army. This is clearly the future but it's taken away so much freedom the game used to have.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

Without the grand alliances every old faction and every bit of lore since about 2019 has become a retcon or just worthless. Aos seems to get smaller and smaller everyday. Do white lions actually exist in the mortal realms? I have multiple pieces of fiction that say they do. Do freeguild knights? Multiple stories mention them. All the mercenary companies have now ceased to be. No cannons for anyone now. GW seem intent on purging the lines down to small factions with 6 kits each. Well apart from stormcast of course. Sons of behemat is a two kit army. This is clearly the future but it's taken away so much freedom the game used to have.

I count 24 vastly different factions, each with their own distinct philosophies, outlooks, societal structures and preferences as to who they like or hate. 
If that is considered small... 😳

• Like 7

I'm new and not fully versed in the whole lore but my take was that the Grand Alliances were more thematic to allow for Armies with a SIMILAR ethic to work together on the table, it meant you didn't need the individual battletomes to play a game, where as now, time has moved on, battletomes are easier to get hold of for all factions and so the need to lump together thematic armies is less.

Unless the GHB2020 says it, the GA's are still there and no one really knows what the new coalition table thing means in terms of the rest of the rules anyway so until we do, it's all speculation, however insightful that speculation is.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

Mercs are still available as long as the units have points. They are explicitly not tied to GA.

Freeguild demigryph knights exist quite obviously.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, valenswift said:

But the flying battles has been done before including a new mini game in White Dwarf recently and the narrative play section is for team battles.

The funny thing is, that they included "Skies of Slaughter" in the book but not the rules for Skirmish last year (most likely because of Warcry). I know that there was a 40k Version of Skies of Slaughter before that had 2 Player Boxes as well, but I never have seen someone talking about "Skies of Slaughter" after the White Dwarf Release and not a single Battlereport on Youtube for it.

2 hours ago, King Under the Mountain said:

Never mentioned in-game classification.  But let's use Destruction as an example.  Every faction in it has been shoehorned to have some connect to Gorkamorka even when factions like Ogres, had none in their original fantasy faction.  So what happens?  They are forced into a cookie cutter faction.

Okay it's more a lore thing, but it is not completly shoehorned. Each faction basicly prays to their own god, but all are aspects of Gorkamorka

• For Moonclan Grots it is the Bad Moon
  • for Spiderfang Grots the Spider-god
  • For Mawtribe Ogors its the Great Beast that Consumes the World
  • For Beastclaw Raiders its the Hungering Predator
  • For Firebellies it the Sun-Eater

The only once that most likly play to Gorkamorka (or Gork/Mork), it's most likely the Orruks.

Looking at the Gloomspite Gitz Battletome the connection between the Factions is, that all of them want to destroy bastions and civilisation to bring the realms to a natural primitive state, but they would basicly fight each other as well because they all think different how this state should look like.

Strange with the alliances is, that when we look at the lore, that their are Ogors in Free Cities (Spear of Shadows) or Chaos Armies (The Black Pyramid) or several cases where Humans follow Nagash, have their own Warrior Priests and living soldiers fighting together with the dead, which isn't possible at least with Matched Play rules.

55 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

I think GW had stated that a new Generals Handbook doesn't make the once before obsolete. As long as they doesn't state in an Errata or other publication that you can't use the mercenary rules anymore you can use those of the GH2019. In other cases the GH would be thicker every year because they would print the same stuff every year. And than nobody would buy the new Book when it would be the old book with some included Errata.

• Like 1

Ice goat is just a troll. Constantly posting nonsense about how aos is terrible,  aos armies sold badly, everyone loves WHFB models etc.

I don't think there is any reason to think anything has been removed. The new matched play stuff we've seen are updates to existing rules, i.e. realm of battle. I imagine the secondary objectives are just renamed hidden agendas too.

Mercenaries will probably just have points printed in the booklet. Even if they don't I strongly doubt anyone will be against you using them given how they are all fairly weak.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HollowHills said:

.Mercenaries will probably just have points printed in the booklet. Even if they don't I strongly doubt anyone will be against you using them given how they are all fairly weak.

I think the concern about Mercenaries going away is because right after they introduced those rules, they discontinued the dwarf cannon/organ gun (one of the specific mercenary companies) which kind of suggests they aren’t going to be a permanent thing

9 minutes ago, silverstu said:

New Rumour pic-

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/30/the-rumour-engine-june-30th-2020/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=WHRumorEngine30June20&utm_content=WHRumorEngine30June20

Looks elf/eldar of the darker varieties.. the fabric tied through the hole in the blade - might be more of that Warcry war band?

I'm sorry but the shape of that hilt and blade says Skaven to me.

4 hours ago, schwabbele said:

So based on the alliance page, SoB are the "last" unreleased faction, you think we are done for a while and enter a state of refinement / polishing of the already released factions?

I think so. Untill perhaps this time ish next year we may not get another Faction. Still 2 Factions in one year is impressive enough already!!

15 minutes ago, silverstu said:

New Rumour pic-

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/30/the-rumour-engine-june-30th-2020/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=WHRumorEngine30June20&utm_content=WHRumorEngine30June20

Looks elf/eldar of the darker varieties.. the fabric tied through the hole in the blade - might be more of that Warcry war band?

I'm thinking Skaven or Grot. Maybe a Warcry Warband or Underworlds?

6 minutes ago, michu said:

Im leaning towards Grot or Skaven.

14 minutes ago, silverstu said:

New Rumour pic-

Drazhar has fabric tied through his blades. Dark Eldar is definitely a possibility. The only thing it could be other than an Aelf/Eldar is something Slaanesh, though this is an outside possibility. Whatever it ends up being it will have my interest, unless it turns out to be a body on a nurgle base or something. 

13 minutes ago, michu said:

You could be right but Skaven don't have fine hands and wear gloves and the shape is too elegant for Skaven, looks more like a Dark Eldar or Shadow Aelves design to me.

7 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Drazhar has fabric tied through his blades. Dark Eldar is definitely a possibility. The only thing it could be other than an Aelf/Eldar is something Slaanesh, though this is an outside possibility. Whatever it ends up being it will have my interest, unless it turns out to be a body on a nurgle base or something. 

If its 40k could be corsairs? They said its further away so probably not that Warcry war band [I hope we see more of the WarCry stuff soon]. Might be a solo character  ..

I really don't think that's a skaven weapon. Too fine and unchipped. The shape's not right either. Some skaven blades have those barbs/protrusions but they otherwise tend to look more like exaggerated falchions, broad towards the tip.

Also it's very close to DE wych blades, as seen on the models (image from DeadFingers on B&C) and in Jes Goodwin's old concept art. Similar barbs, same ribbon through the hole. Unless they're reusing 40k motifs for new AoS models (not impossible but unlikely for something so specific), this looks like something new for Dark Eldar.

WychKnives.png

Warhammer-40k-Bitz-Dark-Eldar-Hagashin-K

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I really don't think that's a skaven weapon. Too fine and unchipped. The shape's not right either. Some skaven blades have those barbs/protrusions but they otherwise tend to look more like exaggerated falchions, broad towards the tip.

Also it's very close to DE wych blades, as seen on the models (image from DeadFingers on B&C) and in Jes Goodwin's old concept art. Similar barbs, same ribbon through the hole. Unless they're reusing 40k motifs for new AoS models (not impossible but unlikely for something so specific), this looks like something new for Dark Eldar.

WychKnives.png

Warhammer-40k-Bitz-Dark-Eldar-Hagashin-K

A new Lelith Hesperax perhaps?

Seeing that arm gives a very strong dark eldar vibe. The four metal dots on the knuckles and the raised sleeve are identical. Either way I'm happy. The drukhari are my favourite 40k faction and they make great conversion material. The hints that the rumour engine has been showing recently have been very interesting. I count 14 different images that I am very curious about. 

8 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

Rumour pic is the beastgrave dok warband. 

No it's not, none of them have a blade that looks like that in the rumour engine pic.

10161e29.jpg

New Lelith Hesperex doesn't seem impossible, she's a prominent character still in finecast. Maybe some sort of new wych character for some sort of smaller game though? There's been a few rumour engine hints that are quite clearly for specific 40k factions, might make sense if it were e.g. the replacement for Blackstone Fortress or something.

Edited by sandlemad

2 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

I think the concern about Mercenaries going away is because right after they introduced those rules, they discontinued the dwarf cannon/organ gun (one of the specific mercenary companies) which kind of suggests they aren’t going to be a permanent thing

And the general on horse in the Rough Riders (which is probably named Nimyard). Which is is worse than not updated, the warscroll still exists, but you can't take the mandatory options anymore.

I expect the Blacksmoke battery to be gone though, through loss of points for artillery.

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

The hand looks a little claw like which made me jump to Malerion Aelves. However, it looks so close to those dark eldar weapons so I assume that is correct but do dark eldar often have such freaky hands?

Drukhari Covens *love* improving the looks and capabilities of their clientèle...and are paid handsomely for it!

Sons of Behemet Thought- 

I reckon we could see Sons Of Behemet drop in the 2nd or 3rd week of July. 

The releases are two boxes (reboxed Aleguzzler), the battle tome and hopefully some chunky dice.

That's not going to be too much effort for GW to throw out the door.

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1