The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, shinros said:

Found it. Here it is. 

70376129_2461668503870431_9110610990508015616_o.jpg

Yeah that just reads to me like an in universe nod thing. Some splintered fang go on to join the hellstriders, rather than anything hinting to the Splintered Fang having much to do with Slaanesh in the actual game.  

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

I'd say that Azgorh should be able to ally with any of the Chaos God armies, and fractiously with other stuff in Chaos, but not ally with anything in Order or Death at all. Fyreslayers seem to be the usual exception to Chaos and Order not being able to ally, but I don't think they'd work with the Dawi Zharr, who must hate the fyreslayers for infringing their whole "dwarves of fire" trademark.

I'd actually give Dawi Zharr the ability to ally with most if not all of destruction though, since mixed orc and dwarf armies are kind of their thing, and they have slave ogres and giants even today. If this were the old world, you could exclude Ironjaws due to the whole black orc incident, but in the mortal realms I don't think that matters any more. An Azgorh - destruction alliance probably wouldn't be an equitable one, more them enslaving the other faction of course.

In some ways that could give them an interesting option to open up the field completely. What if they could ally with anything, but had rules for slave revolts if their troops got out of hand. Something to play around with in open play perhaps!

I like it, but I'd like it more if we had more than three artifacts and command traits available as well as an actual spell lore. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Still-young said:

Yeah that just reads to me like an in universe nod thing. Some splintered fang go on to join the hellstriders, rather than anything hinting to the Splintered Fang having much to do with Slaanesh in the actual game.  

It could be a nod or a hint, but slaanesh has no mortals at the moment. Kinda strange for a warband to have almost the exact same aesthetics as hellstriders. This is the rumour thread after all.

1 hour ago, valenswift said:

Am I the only thinking the GHB looks a bit disappointing? Apart from the new points values I’m not really interested in any of it looking at that contents page. 

Just curious, but what did you expect out of the GHB? To me it is just point updates, updated alligiance abilities (think they all got a battletome now), new/changed battleplans and a bunch of fluffy stuff I will never play around with. Im super happy that they are updating the realm rules, might actually use them now. 

6 hours ago, Sleboda said:

And that would be a crime, now wouldn't it? /s

Aren't we always, by default, playing for the fun of it? I'll never get the argument that there is fun and then there is winning in Warhammer.  It's a game. Practically by definition we play it for fun. Or, to put it another way, if you find you do not enjoy a given activity, such as Warhammer, it's a little bit crazy to keep doing it.

I get that when you play at tournaments it makes sense to take the list that you believe gives you the greatest chance to take the trophy, but that's really such a narrow part of the hobby overall. I think there is plenty of room to include the other units when not in the tournament environment.

People get enjoyment out of different things. Some get enjoyment out of winning. It is really no different than any sport where someone's goal is to win, even if it isnt a super important tournament they participate in.

For me I play Warhammer to socialize with my mates and to roll some dice, but ultimately whenever I write a list the goal is to win, not just to ****** about. That doesnt mean we have to net-list off "pros" or tournaments, but purposely bringing a bad list would just feel wrong to me and I would hate every second of it.

Even if you arent participating in a tournament, you might be wanting to practice your new army or whatever and try to finetune a list in preparation for a tournament.

Edited by Kasper
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

The idoneth can only be a desperate coalition with the lumineth. But the lumineth can be good friends with quite a few and yet lumineth can only ally with idoneth in their own battle tome? That actually makes no sense 

I imagine that in the Battletome it is to reflect that they fight in a similar manner, like how the Craftworlders and Dark Eldar were explained as "good allies" - in a single battle, their tactics support each other naturally.
In Coalitions of Death, which is designed to thematically look more at commanders working together and "larger" battles, the tactical overlap is less important than the friction and distrust between the commanders.

On 6/28/2020 at 9:47 PM, Nick Stockton said:

Am I the only one who saw the Unmade and thought "Tzeentch"? 

The only warband that leans towards Tzeentch are the Cypher Lords. I can't remmeber where I read it (apart from them looking very Tzeentchian anyways), but it suggested that these guys aim to become Kairic Acolytes (not that much of an upgrade). That said, nothing about the Unmade makes me think of Tzeentch but hey, yours could follow anyone you want. All of them could follow any of the Gods.

38 minutes ago, shinros said:

It could be a nod or a hint, but slaanesh has no mortals at the moment. Kinda strange for a warband to have almost the exact same aesthetics as hellstriders. This is the rumour thread after all.

Slaanesh still has mortals - they are the afore mentioned Hellstriders of which there are two kinds (basically two different weapons). 

The Warcry teams are designed, lore wise, to be peoples who are just at the start of their journey into the depths of Chaos. Like Marauders they are very low on the pecking order. You really see this in the Warcry stories whereby when some make it to the Varenspire they go from being one of the top warbands (or at least top within their people at that time) to being right at the bottom of the pecking order. Bold and brazen but now way at the bottom compared to the likes of Chaos Warriors and such. 

So the idea that some who make it into the upper ranks of the unified Chaos Army (or into mono-god armies) go down specific pathways is a neat lore nod. Personally I'd welcome updated Hellstriders with Splintered Fang style riders (their current ones always look rather too bulky for their steeds). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Overread said:

hink its a deliberate choice to help drive sales of an army that basically got all new leader models and a new big leader model (keepers). They only got one new non-leader model - the fiend - otherwise all the others were brand new leader type models. So having a tome that focuses on leaders and drives them as the key part of the army makes sense purely from a business angle of selling those models

Doesn’t make sense. They would make more money by selling hordes. Like with dok. 45 euro for 100 pts and you ‘need’ at least six of those boxes. More if you didn’t buy the €100+ Morathi. 
that approach makes cash.

in the end it’s easy to check. Are the new ‘must take’ models more expensive per point ? 

I reckon the work flow they discussed is true and the different teams don’t communicate/dictate the others overly much. So designers come up with cool new models that the rules team gush over and they go crazy. 
Or they have a cool rule idea and then just go looking for something to stick it on. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Overread said:

Slaanesh still has mortals - they are the afore mentioned Hellstriders of which there are two kinds (basically two different weapons). 

The Warcry teams are designed, lore wise, to be peoples who are just at the start of their journey into the depths of Chaos. Like Marauders they are very low on the pecking order. You really see this in the Warcry stories whereby when some make it to the Varenspire they go from being one of the top warbands (or at least top within their people at that time) to being right at the bottom of the pecking order. Bold and brazen but now way at the bottom compared to the likes of Chaos Warriors and such. 

So the idea that some who make it into the upper ranks of the unified Chaos Army (or into mono-god armies) go down specific pathways is a neat lore nod. Personally I'd welcome updated Hellstriders with Splintered Fang style riders (their current ones always look rather too bulky for their steeds). 

I know, but hellstriders at the moment are basically bolted onto a clearly daemon battletome. Slaanesh doesn't have a mortal army like the other gods. The hellstriders likely come from the same tribe. Hence the similar apperance.

GW also tried to use the warcry warbands to placate the people who were asking where is Slaanesh's mortal army. (I remeber the salt on facebook) Then it came out that they aren't even battleline like marauders.

Slaves to darkness do not match the Hosts of slaanesh in terms of aesthetic. Their gameplay and points value as you clearly said screams buy more daemons/keepers.

Issue is if you go the host facebook group guess what you mainly see? Daemons.

Edited by shinros

32 minutes ago, Nick Stockton said:

Look at all those alliances for Destruction armies. I guess an insatiable hunger for flesh makes one quite diplomatic. 

I like to think that races of all types can appreciate the Ogor plight of "we hungie."

• Haha 2