The Rumour Thread

Yeah I agree the box is a good box if you like Lumineth in particular because it contains the less divisive units of the entire range. But the fact it’s still up for preorder means either Lumineth didn’t convince too much, stock was much higher than usual, although in NZ eventually sold out, or Lumineth suffered a lot from marketing fatigue not surviving the few months of marketing and the delay. 
The latter is an interesting fact if true cause I always have been a big promoter of knowing upfront the releases so I can plan, but if that causes less products sold by GW then the cons are way above the pros.

I'm sure they are popular. Not selling out on launch day isn't a bad thing, heck it might just be GW better predicting sales for once. It's also a great thing for anyone still on the fence - not everyone jumps in on launch day for a new army. Plus don't forget the whole 40K market is biding its time before 9th edition launches. Even if they don't want the marine and necron army box; there's still going to be a big new rulebook and other things all come out and that's likely just around the corner in July. So chances are that might have impacted some of the Luminoth sales (remembering that originally they were likely going to come on sale before GW confirmed 9th edition as a thing). 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Beastmaster said:

I find this new 32mm standard for human-sized infantry models annoying. Scale creep quickens that way, I fear.

I actually think they've scaled back (get it?) the scale creep over the last year.

Nothing has increased in size over the Khorne Bloodreavers from the very beginning of AoS - if anything we've more recently got a whole host of smaller scale humans via warcry.

Mortek Guard are smol too. Maybe that's why they're so cute?

Edited by Carnelian
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

I think that is a bit of both worlds:
-They are a niche army.
-The box is unattractive.

Me too. Imho, 25mm is fine for non-elite human-eske units, and 32 seems to be the "improved" version.  There are some issues that could be fixed (IDK Thralls comes to my mind) but whatever, it's not a big problem for the whole game.

I think GW has increased production on the limited boxes. They mentionend in the aftermath of the Sororitas Box debacle that they are looking into ways to prevent this in the future. 
The Aetherwar Box also didnt sold out immediately. So maybe GW fixed the problem? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

You can't win.

Box sells out immediately,  GW suck and are forcing scarcity to encourage sales.

Box avaliable over pre-order,  army is dead on arrival.

Don't forget 'the army is unbalanced and will destroy the game' and you've hit the GW Internet Pre-Release Trifecta. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

I wonder if the larger bases are for game play reasons? The larger base makes area denial more achievable and keeps the models further apart to prevent tangling of weapons and other bits and pieces. My Kairic Acolytes on 32 mm bases are just easier to move around. I've finished a few older human sized models (Privateer, Loremaster) on 28 mm bases and they just look a touch too small to me. Maybe 32 mm just does look nicer? 

I think the box not selling out quite as quick is probably due to some smart design choices to limit people from buying more than 1. In addition to some actual restrictions on buying more than 1, GW did 2 things to dissuade people from getting more than 1:

1. Hero in the box is a named hero.

2. Included the limited edition battletome.

These things combined with the higher price limit the value in getting multiples for the sole purpose of stacking up the units to buy an army "cheap." They want you to have to go buy all those more expensive single unit boxes to fill out your army.

Edited by Nighthaunt Noob
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

I think the box not selling out quite as quick is probably due to some smart design choices to limit people from buying more than 1. In addition to some actual restrictions on buying more than 1, GW did 2 things to dissuade people from getting more than 1:

1. Hero in the box is a named hero.

2. Included the limited edition battletome.

These things combined with the higher price limit the value in getting multiples for the sole purpose of stacking up the units to buy an army "cheap." They want you to have to go buy all those more expensive single unit boxes to fill out your army.

The box comes across as an expensive start collecting box (usually c.£85 for start collecting with battletome) with some cards thrown in and a 'limited edition' battletome instead a regular one. I don't think it appeals to the average hobbyist.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dracovski said:

The higher price discouraged me from ordering the box, though I do like the army. I keep comparing it with the FoB box, which for a similar price gave you a lot more models 🤷‍♂️

True, but at the same time I had to buy a Battletome and cards ontop of the Feasts of Bone box and half the models in the box I had to sell on. The way I see it the Luminoth box gives you a cheap leader (its a single model infantry character so cheap in model price) and two core model types of infantry and cavalry as well as all the basic kit you typically get anyway to get started. In my view its very much what you'd expect to pick up on launch day as the core starting point to the army for most people. Whilst at the same time being more "interesting" than just two or three boxes of spearmen. 

If I were GW I might have tried to squeeze the Endless Spells into that set to really make it a "getting started" set with everything basic that you need to get going; but that might have been impractical with how GW has the Endless Spells shipped (I assume they are likely all boxed and sealed when put on the ship). 

• Like 2

Well price wise I guess it would look a bit like this on release...

Eltharion £25

10 Spearmen £30

5 Cavalry  £30

Battletome (normal) £25

So excluding the dice, cards and measuring gauge you get £110, the retail price for the box. If you take into account 3rd party discounts it scales likewise. 

Given these are full kits (albeit very limited modeling wise) there is no reason to think they would be released as a start collecting. Most armies get that at least a year or so after the first release.

All the units are ones you'll use, Eltharion might not be in all lists but he seems viable.

So if you are planning to start a LRL army the set is still better value than waiting for launch. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

The box comes across as an expensive start collecting box (usually c.£85 for start collecting with battletome) with some cards thrown in and a 'limited edition' battletome instead a regular one. I don't think it appeals to the average hobbyist.

Yes. At the end of the day it's not an aggressively priced box. You get a SC box worth of miniatures, a battletome, and some extra random stuff. The price is justified (depending how much you value a "LE" battletome) but it's not a steal by any means, and there's no point in buying multiples since a good chunk of the price is tied up in that battletome.

If I look at the SoB box by comparison, that one had more models, and sisters were an existing army, so getting the codex early had more value-people that already owned SoB could start playing right away. Even if you snap up the LRL box right away, it's just a painting project while waiting for the rest of the army to be released.

3 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I don’t think it’s designed for the average hobbyist. Looking around, The cheapest I’ve seen it is £88 and that’s a bargain personally. If you think there’s around £80ish of Minatures in there, plus a limited edition book and cards and gubbins, it’s a nice start collecting set. I’m really tempted by it but I’m holding out for 40k as it looks a good set.

1 hour ago, Greyshadow said:

We saw Sons of Behemat cards leaked on a shipping manifest recently. Can we make an educated guest when this tome might come out based on previous such leaks?

i would guess September but it’s hard to say due to how things are. Guessing GWs release schedule is really messed up so they will have been moving things around. With 40k for July and at a guess August, I think besides a splash release there will be little for AOS.  But as I’ve said in the topic, I’m not a betting man and often get things wrong

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is a start collecting set with a bunch of extra gubbins. None of the minis are  exclusive to the set. The savings are minimal especially if you aren’t interested in a limited edition battletome. The comparison to the sisters box doesn’t work. All the minis in that box were unique sculpts and the price per model was lower. 

We will probably be able to buy them all individually in a couple of months.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see a start collecting set or a battleforce around Christmas time. I am very interested in building a Lumineth army but I will wait. 

As for the future we still have a huge backlog to work through. 

We have the rest of the Lumineth, sons of Behemat, bloodbowl treeman and snotlings, 2 Warcry warbands, 2 underworlds warbands, new Titanicus knights and a campaign book, Eomer and more books for Lotr, Escher stuff for Necromunda, pariah, 40k ninth new necrons and marines. Anyone waiting for what’s next for AOS after and sons of Behemat will be waiting a long time. 

1 hour ago, Greyshadow said:

We saw Sons of Behemat cards leaked on a shipping manifest recently. Can we make an educated guest when this tome might come out based on previous such leaks?

I had originally hoped for an early July release but then August with 9th Edition dropping. Unfortunately it looks like it very well may be September now. To say I'm a little disappointed is an understatement.

• Thanks 1

I mean its an excellent start for an army and generally you wont see a start collecting box for a new release for a year or more, if you want to start a Lumineth army you would have to be building something atypical (like all Cow cult or similar) to not want the box as a starting point, i dont think theres much appeal to the limited version army book or dice, just a nice bonus really.

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I don’t think it’s designed for the average hobbyist. Looking around, The cheapest I’ve seen it is £88 and that’s a bargain personally. If you think there’s around £80ish of Minatures in there, plus a limited edition book and cards and gubbins, it’s a nice start collecting set. I’m really tempted by it but I’m holding out for 40k as it looks a good set.

It's 82.50 at Dark Sphere. FWIW I think it's transpired that there are no warscroll cards included, and their mention in the It's In The Box promo video was an error?

I've been tempted but am mostly in the camp of not really needing something where the limited edition book and dice are inflating the price of it

The Lumineth box looks more like a special bundle than a discount bundle - if everything was released and you where into that faction you'd spend that - 2 boxes of troops at £30, a character at £15 and a book at £25= £100 plus all the dice etc. Its not a bargain but its good if you like the faction and are gaming with them as you're basically spending the extra £10 on dice and counters.  Plus you are getting them a bit early. 

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

I had originally hoped for an early July release but then August with 9th Edition dropping. Unfortunately it looks like it very well may be September now. To say I'm a little disappointed is an understatement.

I wouldn't give up hope- Sons are a book and a big single kit pretty much - pretty easy to slot into the schedule compared to other factions so you never know..

• Like 1