The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Aryann said:

I'm not sure what to think of it.

Yes, there is the benefit of easier access for new players and for old players to start a new army but what about those players that have already optimized their armies, made their list, and most important, spent their money on models that now are redundant? It's one thing when they increase in points one unit, decrease another and totally different when they just say to their customers "thx for your cash but you needlessly bought those 15 last minis for Orkz, 20 for Tyranids and 5 for Eldar."

Points and lists can (and will) change every year (or even at the first FAQ). How many people think that their tailored 2000 perfect points list will remain the same after a new GHB? Or worst, after a new edition? 

Btw, better to have more models than not having enough to play.

• Like 8

Change is never good when it goes against what you wanted or expected but it's always a good thing when it benefits. 

My decision to go head first into this hobby, especially into an older army and the added risk that entails, is that pound for pound there isn't a hobby out there gives you as much bang for your buck. 

I get to read a huge and evolving lore and watch countless videos. I get to choose from hundreds of options and then build the models I want to. I get to paint them how I want. I get to play with them in a multitude of ways, in a game that is different every single time, and then even if they lose value in the game for whatever reason, I can play with them still anyway in open games with my mates anyway. 

I've had lots of hobbies, some more expensive and most a lot cheaper, but none have given me all  those things and that why I don't think it's expensive relative to what I get back and if a unit does get changed, then I've had a lot of fun out of it and will continue to despite the changes. 

Will I want more armies in the future? Yep. Will I want more units and models, or at least the ones I have already for my current armies, to be updated? Yep. Will I get frustrated when it doesn't happen? Yep.

But I'll have a great time in the mean time 😁

• Like 12
  • LOVE IT! 4

This is something that happens, whenever there are point changes, and frankly 40k has needed more granularity in their points for some time. Conscripts cost the same as Guardsmen but have worse stats all around, same for Cultist but you cant make them cheaper because they were to strong at 3pts and you cant increase the points of Guardsmen because then they cost the same as veterans. They have needed more granularity for some time I would say. And if you want to use more model in a game you can always play with more points.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Chaos Shepard said:

This is something that happens, whenever there are point changes, and frankly 40k has needed more granularity in their points for some time. Conscripts cost the same as Guardsmen but have worse stats all around, same for Cultist but you cant make them cheaper because they were to strong at 3pts and you cant increase the points of Guardsmen because then they cost the same as veterans. They have needed more granularity for some time I would say. And if you want to use more model in a game you can always play with more points.

This hits the nail on the head. Guardsmen at 4 points completely threw the balance off for all infantry in the game, especially as Battalions (which need lots of Troops, like Guardsmen) were the most efficient source of command points. Unsurprisingly, both those issues have been addressed. As a former competitive 40k player turned AoS competitive player, this particular set of changes could be what attracts me back. 

But let's be real here for a sec. The cows are coming. Space Marines are cool and all, but they ain't got nothin' on those horned herculeans. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Jaskier said:

This hits the nail on the head. Guardsmen at 4 points completely threw the balance off for all infantry in the game, especially as Battalions (which need lots of Troops, like Guardsmen) were the most efficient source of command points. Unsurprisingly, both those issues have been addressed. As a former competitive 40k player turned AoS competitive player, this particular set of changes could be what attracts me back. 

But let's be real here for a sec. The cows are coming. Space Marines are cool and all, but they ain't got nothin' on those horned herculeans. 

I believe the correct term is "Cowboys"

11 hours ago, Beliman said:

Points and lists can (and will) change every year (or even at the first FAQ). How many people think that their tailored 2000 perfect points list will remain the same after a new GHB? Or worst, after a new edition? 

Honestly any optimized list is going to stop being perfectly optimized with the next release of almost anything because that's what it's going to be up against in a changing meta. Happens several times a year. Adjusting points like this is no different.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Oak7603 said:

Change is never good when it goes against what you wanted or expected but it's always a good thing when it benefits. 

My decision to go head first into this hobby, especially into an older army and the added risk that entails, is that pound for pound there isn't a hobby out there gives you as much bang for your buck. 

I get to read a huge and evolving lore and watch countless videos. I get to choose from hundreds of options and then build the models I want to. I get to paint them how I want. I get to play with them in a multitude of ways, in a game that is different every single time, and then even if they lose value in the game for whatever reason, I can play with them still anyway in open games with my mates anyway. 

I've had lots of hobbies, some more expensive and most a lot cheaper, but none have given me all  those things and that why I don't think it's expensive relative to what I get back and if a unit does get changed, then I've had a lot of fun out of it and will continue to despite the changes. 

Will I want more armies in the future? Yep. Will I want more units and models, or at least the ones I have already for my current armies, to be updated? Yep. Will I get frustrated when it doesn't happen? Yep.

But I'll have a great time in the mean time 😁

this guy gets it! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 6/2/2020 at 6:40 PM, PrimeElectrid said:

No AoS article for 11 days :(

As of today, it will have been two full weeks since WarCom published any exclusive AoS content.

(exclusive because that Chaos Gods one applies to both system)

Guess they read this 😉

Edited by PrimeElectrid
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, lare2 said:

I get that 40k is gonna steal the limelight for a while and as an avid 40k player I'm happy for it... but... I'm not half hankering for some AoS news. 

I think we will see something over next few weeks with a release before new edition of 40k. I imagine it’s been a logistic nightmare and they are juggling releases around

• Like 4

I feel like they have probably published everything they can before the new minis actually start coming out. I reckon Lumineth are just around the corner as we know they feature in the next WD and I'm sure there'll be WarCom articles for tactics, painting etc...

• Like 2

They still made a point of saying during coronavirus web reveals (after it became clear that releases would be pushed back) that the Lumineth release was going to be like Sisters of Battle, with the limited edition box first, and then a bit later on the full release of the range.

With how hard they are trying to detail 40k 9th edition right now, I imagine that they still want that as their big summer release. SO, I think we could see the lumineth LE box released ahead of 40k 9th ed, and then the release of individual kits/battletome later in the summer after 40k 9th. Lumineth are a niche army, 40k 9th ed effects a much larger portion of their audience. 

It makes perfect sense that they would want to put that into focus right now, Lumineth are just a casualty of the Pandemic.

11 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Yeah, I think they are waiting to release Lumineth and then we will get a ton of articles for them and teases for Sons.

Hopefully the Lumineth are revealed tomorrow to go up for Pre Order next weekend so we can start getting Sons articles in a week or so and all the Realm Lords players can finally snag their army!!

11 hours ago, Athrawes said:

They still made a point of saying during coronavirus web reveals (after it became clear that releases would be pushed back) that the Lumineth release was going to be like Sisters of Battle, with the limited edition box first, and then a bit later on the full release of the range.

With how hard they are trying to detail 40k 9th edition right now, I imagine that they still want that as their big summer release. SO, I think we could see the lumineth LE box released ahead of 40k 9th ed, and then the release of individual kits/battletome later in the summer after 40k 9th. Lumineth are a niche army, 40k 9th ed effects a much larger portion of their audience. 

It makes perfect sense that they would want to put that into focus right now, Lumineth are just a casualty of the Pandemic.

I really hope this isnt true. I'd hope they at least put out the entire Lumineth force before 40K 9th as well as drop the Sons Of Behemat as well. 

The only thing that might cause GW to push forward could be if they REALLY need to get 9th out the door and thus decide to push forward faster if there comes a point where it seems the UK could lock down again. That might put pressure on them to accelerate the release. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Overread said:

The only thing that might cause GW to push forward could be if they REALLY need to get 9th out the door and thus decide to push forward faster if there comes a point where it seems the UK could lock down again. That might put pressure on them to accelerate the release. 

That is a good point. It’s a interesting question that’s asked of a lot businesses now. 
do we act if it’s done and on its way back to normal or do we act if the second wave is coming. 

It's a double worry for companies. A second lockdown could very well happen; however more likely is partial lockdowns due to infection. All it takes is one single person to get a case who works for GW and goes into the factory and if its detected then responsible track and trace would shut GW down for two weeks. 

Now GW might have forethought and enough staff to stagger it into set teams so that the teams never meet and if one team goes down they've got another that can keep running. Even if at reduced capacity (even more so) at least keeping the lights on. However it might be that key staff and the setup don't allow for it or it might not even have crossed their minds. Or its simply impractical (eg handover of machine control and operations might not be the kind of thing that can be practically staggered).

Key suppliers also being shut down or even a distribution hub for mail could also complicate matters. 

It's a bit worry sitting over a lot of companies right now.

Of course on the flipside GW might also be of the view that what happens happens and they are financially stable enough that they can weather more lockdowns. That if they happen they happen and they are gearing up for being able to put things on pause at practical level. Perhaps even dividing at least production and packing teams so that even if their production team goes down with isolation; their packing can keep sending out inventory stock etc... 

So, I don't follow 40k news, but some info has beed flodding into my gaming whatsapp groups. Info that will probably be relevant for AoS future.
  Seems like there is going to be a point increase for all units. This seems like a smart move if they want to keep atracting people to the hobby in the dire economic future that awaits us. Not sure how 40k scales with AoS in this regard, but anyway I think we can expect the fantasy game to follow the same route as soon as they can implement it.

There is also table size reductions and apparently some focus in shorter games, which is where modern games are headed anyway, and where they were stepping into with Meeting Engagements.

Again, I think all of this gives a hint on AoS future.

Thoughts?

AoS was already more expensive in general than 40K so I figure they've taken from AoS in that respect. The board size change is purely to fit with GW's pre-made boards and nothing else so if AoS gets the same kind or same size of board we can expect that change too.

Thing is some things will cross over and others won't. 40K has had big problems with very powerful ranged armies for a long time, something that fantasy has nearly always managed to avoid wholesale. 40K has thus had issues with making close combat even more powerful to counter powerful ranged which makes them make ranged more powerful etc... The result is at one stage the game was almost hitting turn 1 alpha strikes in close combat which is seriously moving away from even bothering with terrain. 

Also don't forget some of these changes might get changed themselves during the new edition or might even prove to be unsuitable.

As for army sizes they go up and down in general. GW has equal sides wanting smaller armies and bigger ones. The big bonus at present is that GW has put way more resources into smaller game formats and making them their own thing not just tacked onto the side of the main game. This frees up their core game. 

Another aspect that AoS doesn't have to contend with enmass yet is that 40K has way more unit types and niches. The result of which is players have way more toys to play with and want to bring them - they want their artillery and ranged and sniper and troops and psycher etc...

Logistics could be a nightmare but on the other hand - both post-lockdown releases are quite huge. 

1. They released a lot of Mechanicum stuff it's huge release a lot of kits - and it found it's way on the shelves without any delays 

2. Aeronautica and this weeks pre-orders are also huge. 

I doubt they have much problems and I expect Lumineth Box to be up for pre-orders with DoK Warband and Scions of Flame for AoS week. Then switching to 40k again and then to rest of Lumineth.