The Rumour Thread

Hi everyone ! Kinda new here !

I had two questions about rumors and potential news :

1) Anyone can summarize most of the rumors / leaks and potential hints at the moment ? It's pretty tough to follow the new things since everything seems to go fast ... The only thing I get is that Malerion is building his own army with another variation of Aelves (Shadowneth ?). But besides that what was teased the last couple years ?

2) After Lumineth and Sons of Behemat do we have an idea on "What's Next ?" 😀
Going for a third edition ? Some reworked Battletome ? Another army by the end of the year ?

PArt me also hopes it goes this way. Not only because it means that AoS doesn't get even more faction bloat, but it also gives Sylvaneth something new to bolster their model range. The last thing I want to see is AoS end up with 3 dozen armies - all a handful of models each and so many that GW never has the production slots to broaden their model ranges. 

I agree and disagree. I consider myself as a pure casual client in AoS. I love the Lore and the Miniatures and play sometimes with my friends.
And as an old Fantasy Battle player/fan.... updating armies for years with just one or two new models/concepts for each edition is super boring.

GW seems to have changed that policy even in terms of communication. But what got me in AoS is the feeling of having a new world to discover, constantly evolving with new armies and races behind the corner. It's exciting. It's fresh. I even bought Battletomes for factions I'm not even going to play with, just for the lore and the illustrations.  It reminds me the good old days when I was kid discovering Battle.

Don't get met wrong, I agree about the need for certain armies to bring new range of models and update some of their concepts. I still think Seraphon need to be AoS-ed (Skaven and Beasts of Chaos too) with new crazy models. And Fyreslayers are definitely pretty meh with their actual line of product, feeling kinda same-ish.
But I hope Games Worskhop are not going to stop bringing variety and new armies to the game. And if some of them become redundant, merge them togetger like Orruks or Ogors :D

Sorry for this long message :)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Yep that’s surprising so on one side it seems their release order is unaltered and things just shifted two months. On the other we have to see if key release dates like GHB 20 (end of June) and similar will be respected.

They already showed they don’t mind axing content by removing two white dwarves this year so it is possible some things may just shift away until they get back in track. But at least for now they cannot afford to pack too much in a single release. Would make sense if they hadn’t shipped them already but warehouse space is limited...

I think their recent stock performance had proven their resiliency in this time to themselves. They probably realize they don't need to jam things in or double up on releases. Heck, they may even appreciate the breathing room in production and marketing, again, given how well they are doing on the exchange.

At this point, I'm assuming they will just move ahead at the same pace as before, just pushed out a few months.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I think their recent stock performance had proven their resiliency in this time to themselves. They probably realize they don't need to jam things in or double up on releases. Heck, they may even appreciate the breathing room in production and marketing, again, given how well they are doing on the exchange.

At this point, I'm assuming they will just move ahead in the same place as before, just pushed out a few months.

I agree, I think that's what is going to happen, with the clause that certain dates may remain still (assuming they have enough stock everywhere for a global launch). We may see Warcry and WH Underworlds new seasons shift of a month or two. Speaking of which, and assuming Adepticon reveal show has been completed with 40k new edition, we still have to see what they would have teased in Warhammer Fest.

15 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

I agree, I think that's what is going to happen, with the clause that certain dates may remain still (assuming they have enough stock everywhere for a global launch). We may see Warcry and WH Underworlds new seasons shift of a month or two. Speaking of which, and assuming Adepticon reveal show has been completed with 40k new edition, we still have to see what they would have teased in Warhammer Fest.

Adepticon was tipped as being absolutely massive, basically the Sons of Behemat and 40K 9th Edition. 

I think the same in that the Warhammerfest Previews may not yet have happened. 

1) Anyone can summarize most of the rumors / leaks and potential hints at the moment ? It's pretty tough to follow the new things since everything seems to go fast ... The only thing I get is that Malerion is building his own army with another variation of Aelves (Shadowneth ?). But besides that what was teased the last couple years ?

2) After Lumineth and Sons of Behemat do we have an idea on "What's Next ?" 😀
Going for a third edition ? Some reworked Battletome ? Another army by the end of the year ?

So no one can summarize me that :(

47 minutes ago, ReyD1 said:

So no one can summarize me that :(

Nobody knows for sure. We have Lumineth and sons of Behemat as the next two battletomes. After that the next AOS product will probably be the ghb. 

We have no firm rumours for anything beyond that. 

We have heard that there may be a new daughters of khaine book and Slaanesh mortals on the way. 

There is a lot of speculation based on the rumour engine pics that we may be getting a soulblight book at some point. 

We have the last of the old warcry warbands  and the first of the new with the khainites. We don't know how this will pan out. 

We have the last two warbands of the current season of underworlds to come with daughters of khaine and ironjawz. 

Everyone assumes that we will get season 4 but there has been no official word on that. 

Finally there is some speculation that we will get a new AOS Warhammer quest later this year. 

Ok so if I summarize all the rumors / hints

- Kurnothi as a new Wood Elves army 

- Malerion bringing his Emoneth/Shadowneth from Ulgu. 

- A new dwarf army with the return of Grugni (Stone Dwarfs ?) 

- Sky / Pirates Gobbos, nemesis of the Kharadron (?) 

- A new Vampire army with Soulblight. 

- Daughters of Khaine / Slannesh new battletomes ? 

That's it ? 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, ReyD1 said:

That's it ? 

Welcome @ReyD1

That is about all we currently know and none of it is confirmed in the slightest. 

Edited by Neverchosen

You could add a "Devoted of Sigmar" faction if that is not enough for you. There was one rumour engine which had the picture of a staff with a slightly differently styled comet symbol than your normal Stormcast. But as others said above absolutely nothing is confirmed yet about any of those. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ReyD1 said:

That's it ? 

Slaves to Darkness will also get the last missing Fire-Themed Warband. We know the Models already since the last release pre corona. Also, the army book left some Profiles without models (Lord of Chaos f.e. with a Flail) which could be used as a hint of gw releasing a new model. Also, a new Warrior Kit is quite possible as we know GW did already new sculpts for the new SC!-Box and didn´t cut the old bitshop-weapon options like halberds and greatblades, so a shiney new kit may be possible during the lifetime of the book.

Regarding the Soulblight I would be really carefull with the assumption. There was a ton of Rumour Engines which clearly belonged to different AoS Factions and were quite remarkable details, which in my opinion could also forshadow a new boxed game like Warhammer Quest. The two seen Soulblight Spoilers may actually be one for Soulblight and one for Flesh Eaters for the boxed game.

Malerions "return" and new DoK Stuff will most propably be the same release. I wouldn´t wonder if gw would try to regroup some armies to prevent another faction bloat like AoS 1.0 suffered. This makes me really wonder about a Dwarven Reunion.

"Malerions "return" and new DoK Stuff will most propably be the same release. I wouldn´t wonder if gw would try to regroup some armies to prevent another faction bloat like AoS 1.0 suffered. This makes me really wonder about a Dwarven Reunion"

Would be weird to do that. One of the strenght of AoS is the "cut to expand" way of thinking. Taking parts and some themes from an old army and expand the lore / flavor / model range to make his own faction. It's pretty cool. 

I actually think the opposite of your point. "Bundle" Faction are the most boring thing. Sometimes it makes sense (Ogors Mawtribes / Orruk Warclans) and sometimes it's just a lazy move, mostly temporary waiting for the right moment to be expanded in their own thing (Cities of Sigmar / Legions of Nagash). 

I can understand being afraid of the bloat of armies but I actually never felt that (not a professional player tho) and merging some armies together would be just uninteresting and would feel just like Fantasy 2.0 with HUGE army. All the dwarves together sounds pretty bad (If you are talking about Khara and Fyre etc...) same for DoK. They have enough to be sustained on their own imo. 

The only thing that I'm not convinced being an army on their own is the next Sons of Behemat. Sounds pretty weak to make them a whole army.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ReyD1 said:

That's it ? 

It's all speculation. Those aren't even rumors but pure speculation/wishlisting. 

The only "rumor" is new DoK battletome and Slaanesh mortal - from Warhammer Weekly. DoK makes sense as it's the oldest battletome know. 

Kurnothi could be one off like Zoats or Gitmob or just possible Sylvaneth semi-expansion. 

Malerion isn't doing any stuff right know. Aelves lore is all about Teclis and Morathi right know - they work somehow together and saw the danger of Slaanesh escaping , Tyrion and Malerion stood still. 

When the kurnothi were announced on the warhammer community, they said :

"Meanwhile, Skaeth’s Wild Hunt offers us new insights into the Mortal Realms with our first look at the Kurnothi - aelf-like creatures with a savage style of their own."

Either they were talking about a second glimpse of this warband, or maybe more Kurnothi in the future...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ReyD1 said:

"Malerions "return" and new DoK Stuff will most propably be the same release. I wouldn´t wonder if gw would try to regroup some armies to prevent another faction bloat like AoS 1.0 suffered. This makes me really wonder about a Dwarven Reunion"

Would be weird to do that. One of the strenght of AoS is the "cut to expand" way of thinking. Taking parts and some themes from an old army and expand the lore / flavor / model range to make his own faction. It's pretty cool. 

I actually think the opposite of your point. "Bundle" Faction are the most boring thing. Sometimes it makes sense (Ogors Mawtribes / Orruk Warclans) and sometimes it's just a lazy move, mostly temporary waiting for the right moment to be expanded in their own thing (Cities of Sigmar / Legions of Nagash). 

I can understand being afraid of the bloat of armies but I actually never felt that (not a professional player tho) and merging some armies together would be just uninteresting and would feel just like Fantasy 2.0 with HUGE army. All the dwarves together sounds pretty bad (If you are talking about Khara and Fyre etc...) same for DoK. They have enough to be sustained on their own imo. 

The only thing that I'm not convinced being an army on their own is the next Sons of Behemat. Sounds pretty weak to make them a whole army.

In theory there is no reason why we can't have our cake and eat it. The keyword system is flexible enough that we can quite easily have multiple allegiances, using related or overlaping miniature lines. There is no reason why Kurnothi can't be a separate allegiance to sylvaneth, but then both also have a combined "forest folk" mode. Likewise, a unified Dwarf army doesn't take anything away from individual Fyreslayer and Kharadron armies. It just adds another way to use those models. I feel like this was the potential of the grand alliance system, which wasn't quite realised in 1e, and which 2e has done a bit better, but not completely. I do hope it is the future though.

As for the list of rumours, yeah, it's all just speculation at this point. Its a plausible list, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of it happens in the next few years, however I'd bet more than a few of the options listed there will turn out to just be wishful thinking. People have believed in the existence of Light and Shadow Aelves more or less since the start of AoS, and the fact that we are getting lumineth now lends credence to the rumours that originated in the background lore. However what we don't know is how far along those plans are. Games workshop design factions multiple years ahead, so its hard to know what was planned from the start, and what is a change in direction later. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, DantePQ said:

The only "rumor" is new DoK battletome and Slaanesh mortal - from Warhammer Weekly. DoK makes sense as it's the oldest battletome know. 

Actually Daughters of Khaine is the third oldest Faction Battletome.

Maggotkin of Nurgle is the oldest at the moment followed by Legions of Nagash.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charleston said:

Also, the army book left some Profiles without models (Lord of Chaos f.e. with a Flail) which could be used as a hint of gw releasing a new model.

That's just dismounted warrior from Chaos Chariot. No new miniatures. 

GW rarely leaves a door shut on armies they develop - even Squats have several avenues to be re-introduced into 40K if GW chooses. 

Old World (which had 30 years of production) had multiple factions which appeared in the lore many times and were well fleshed out in the story setting. They never appeared and one, Araby, only appeared in Warmaster (the 6mm wargame). As always I'd caution people against getting over-excited at seeing niche armies like Kirnothi being raised into full armies; or at "lore" armies like Grotbag Scuttlers or Skaven Sky Pirates becoming fully fledged models and armies 

Sometimes those armies just hang around for ages - Exodites for 40K have been referenced many times but never had a single model made since the Rogue Traders days. 

By all means get enthusiastic and perhaps even consider conversions (most of the sky-priate alternate factions get into the skies by stealing KO airships so that's easy conversion fodder right there). But I would never bank on any of those forces becoming full armies.

Of course there's a few very certain hints. GW has all but said that the Shadow Aelves will appear; furthermore its clear that Soulblight (vampires) will get their own book for Death at some stage. Of course such certain facts can take a very long time to materialise. Sometimes taking so long they basically never come around. 

Eyes on the future is good, but keep yourself grounded in the present too and don't wait on hinted/lore/rumour armies.