The Rumour Thread

38 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

I'm just sitting here wondering how much we're going to be screwed over here in Australia and New Zealand, last time the already on the pricey side start collecting boxes got a raise between 10 and 25 AUD. Not one of these units needs a price hike, the Lord-Celestant on Stardrake is already $240 for crying out loud. I guess I'd better buy Skragrott while he's "cheap" then.

It is worth reminding people that those of us outside of the UK are hit even harder due to the conversion rates. Even just in the US we're paying so much more, and we don't usually have access to big 30% discount shops. Australia and New Zealand have always had it the worst, with prices being just about criminal. A bit of a price increase probably isn't too much to think about for those living in the UK, but every time it happens it's a much larger jump for everyone else.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Mutton said:

It is worth reminding people that those of us outside of the UK are hit even harder due to the conversion rates. Even just in the US we're paying so much more, and we don't usually have access to big 30% discount shops. Australia and New Zealand have always had it the worst, with prices being just about criminal. A bit of a price increase probably isn't too much to think about for those living in the UK, but every time it happens it's a much larger jump for everyone else.

I grew up and discovered Warhammer in Aus but did end up leaving the hobby eventually for many reasons but one being the price. Having moved to the UK I was shocked by just how much cheaper it is. I feel for my brethren.

• Like 5

I am just afraid GW will reach a boiling point with this. They never lower prices because of shareholders from what I was told, so if they just keep raising and raising the price to the point people with middling income can’t afford them, then they would probably see a bunch of losses...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

I am just afraid GW will reach a boiling point with this. They never lower prices because of shareholders from what I was told, so if they just keep raising and raising the price to the point people with middling income can’t afford them, then they would probably see a bunch of losses...

I think it is more likely to be issues with particular armies. You can already see this with DoK.

I don't know anyone who plays them and they don't seem to have any meaningful tournament representation. Anecdotally it seems that the sheer cost of putting a DoK army on the table is already a very big barrier to entry.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

I mean this is sort of what happened before though so they can throttle back.

They didn't reduce prices per se but they introduced things like Start Collecting, Shadespire and Kill Team minis etc, that is to say things which were very good value, and that brought in a lot of people who were put off by the cost of individual kits. 

There are other ways of off-setting a reduced customer base due to expensive purchases if they need to, basically. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

I think it is more likely to be issues with particular armies. You can already see this with DoK.

I don't know anyone who plays them and they don't seem to have any meaningful tournament representation. Anecdotally it seems that the sheer cost of putting a DoK army on the table is already a very big barrier to entry.

All armies at a GW tournament are GW minis though. GW dont care what those minis are so long as they made a profit off selling them, and that wont be affected by this. 

They do reduce prices, mostly by collecting boxes these days but traditionally converting to plastic was good for that too, i remember buying metal Knights of the White Wolf for £4 each when i were a lad which is a lot more than the remaining regular cavalry are even now :D

But yeah, rises in general suck, though this round is apparently only £1 or £2 on a bunch of things, though ill bet the big monsters will go up by more, which sucks as i want a fair few of them... :/  

1 or 2?? Haha good joke. Some rises are hilarous  avatar of mathlan was the most overpriced mini by far, since it was only 3 medium sprues, bad rules etc, should have be priced as 65, like others minis like him. But 85euros was a robery and it is the only reason it is the only idoneth mini i dont have,

Now it will be rise to 100euros!! So cloose to 20% increase in a 2 years old miniature. I would like to hear the reason for that....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mojojojo101 said:

I don't know anyone who plays them and they don't seem to have any meaningful tournament representation.

They have pretty good tournament representation. The lists and rankings on AoS Shorts for this year has them at their usual high winning spots. (Which is probably the reason for the costs since they're such blenders on feet & snake tails)

Hopefully the upcoming Khainite Warcry warband will be another avenue along with their Beastgrave sisters in letting players do Morathi's knife-work. :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mojojojo101 said:

I can attest that I was priced out of the army and settled for Idoneth (I am happy with my choice). But the increased cost is a challenge in general as the hobby is already fairly pricey. 😢

To return to the frontiers of idle speculation. Would anyone else be cool with Gitmob and Grotbag Scuttlers having a shared release and battle tome?

3 hours ago, Nos said:

They didn't reduce prices per se but they introduced things like Start Collecting, Shadespire and Kill Team minis etc, that is to say things which were very good value, and that brought in a lot of people who were put off by the cost of individual kits

Which they raised the prices of. Start collecting me from 65 to 80 euros in a lot of cases. That’s close to 25% raise. 
and now all the underworld warbands are in this list. 

Just realised though that several resellers lowered the black stone fortress price. At least, at games workshop it’s 125. At element games it’s now 104,50 before the discount. 

2 hours ago, Kitsumy said:

Now it will be rise to 100euros!! So cloose to 20% increase in a 2 years old miniature. I would like to hear the reason for that....

I would like to know how you know it’s going to be a 100 euros? 

+++ Mod Hat On +++

Friendly nudge part two

Folks, can we please step away from the price conversation. Nobody is super happy when prices get adjusted as it usually means it’s going up, but this is not the forum to moan about it. I’ve been in the hobby since the 90s and I’ve seen this many times and seen the “discussion” many times. It usually gets very negative and it’s not what we want here.

Thanks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Folks, can we please step away from the price conversation.

I get that repeatedly beating a dead horse can be negative by just saying "warhammer is too expensive" repeatedly, but GW is the one that just increased prices in their announcement again- they made this their news. As this is significant news to some people- how would this not be the place to discuss reactions to brand new information and guesses as to what the upcoming price changes will be, and how that may affect someone? 

Whether it is pleasant or negative, it is new information and new prices are a major part of the game for a lot of people.  If changes happen that people don't like, isn't it normal for some negativity to come in the news thread until that naturally blows over? 

I personally am not surprised that they did it again already. Look at the sky-high price of the greater daemons price hike from last time.  It doesn't make sense why Alarielle or even Verminlords would remain at the same price tier if they hiked greater daemons to be that high.  The price gap had left half of their lineup way more affordable than their recently hiked ones.  Sadly GW is well aware.

7 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

if they just keep raising and raising the price to the point people with middling income can’t afford them, then they would probably see a bunch of losses...

I have seen people go but there's also people who just switch to much more affordable methods to obtain the models.  I don't think those of us who have dropped out has made enough of a difference for them to notice, for whatever reason. I think that it's because even if they turn off a significant percentage of their fanbase, ALL board games interest in general for the population at large is at an all-time high, so new people just keep coming.

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Personally, I appreciate them calling out the changes and making it clear what's going to change ahead of time. Pretty sure they didn't do this a few years ago.

EDIT: Also, may mean increased trade for FLGS too, who usually offer discounts.

Edited by SlyRebirth
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

This has been repeated every year for the last 20 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

This has been repeated every year for the last 20 years.

Well I mean there’s definitely a certain limit till the people will look for something else.

look at the skryre acolyte Model, you can by for 20bugs that comes with the wrong base size.

there is literally nobody who owns a unit of 30of them, because the price is so greatly affordable.

Anyways how about we change the subject.

thinking if it negatively won’t make our situation better

• Confused 1

Here a list that seems "legit" about old/new price (in €)

https://imgur.com/a/3mQ4ve7

I'm at the end of finishing most of my armies but I intended to invest this year in few things. Especially this summer to get done with my main armies (Archaon and several secondary HQ, not mandatory ...). The budget was around 250€.

TBH, now, I'm seriously thinking of postponing buying to invest in a resin printer (same budget). Not really to replace the miniature, but more to enjoy this hobby in another complementary way that opens so widely on another world! (for far less money).

BTW few things that I noticed: 

- several BASIC troops increase: unacceptable! (skeletons, skitarrii, rubrics, etc....)

- several old not super detailed kits with poor sprues but MANDATORY  in several armies: spawns (I love this kit through...) daemon prince (golly gee!!!???!!!)....

- monsters/behemoths: worst example is vermilord: was cheap, already raised last year dramatically and now will be priced sky high!!! 

- most things +10%, several important kits (= mandatory in several armies and efficient=spamable) are way more 20% increase

• Thanks 1