The Rumour Thread

50 minutes ago, JustAsPlanned said:

It was pretty inevitable that they’d have to raise prices, given the ****** economic climate that was bound to follow the lockdown. But on the positive side, NEW RELEASES!!!!! YES!!!!!

It's absolutely not inevitable. Many businesses are approaching this situation in the opposite way; they see that consumers have less to spend and are trying to increase value and/or decrease prices in order to drum up more business.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Yeah it looks like a shame- Kharadron Riggers, Thunderers and the Ironclad all to go up -I reckon those troop boxes will go up to £27.50 .. no idea what the larger boxes will increase by.. I just buy less then

Good to see the preorders are back - folks can finally get their hands on some things that have been out there for awhile but not available and the next releases can arrive..

13 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Man that price increase was expected, but it’s only for the bigger showcase models and terrain it looks like? And elite units, which is bloody perfect... ah well, i hope my 500 bucks I saved up for the lumineth will be enough for a 1k army.

There's also a ton of basic troops in there too, and many of them just went through a round of price increases last time.

I suspect what we're seeing is a slow move toward bringing the big guy kits up to the $140-150 price range and unit boxes up to the $45-50 range as a baseline.

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

It's absolutely not inevitable. Many businesses are approaching this situation in the opposite way; they see that consumers have less to spend and are trying to increase value and/or decrease prices in order to drum up more business.

GW probably looked at their product selling out pretty much everywhere despite the crisis and the demand drowning their webstore upon reopening and figured (see: knew) that people will pay pretty much any absurd price for their products.

I mean, I don't blame them. They could mark up 100% at this point and most people would still gobble it up. They probably figure the number of people who'll buy at increased prices - especially with a new 40k edition on the horizon - will make up for those who can't afford to buy into the games anymore.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Thiagoma said:

Yes!

Make those metal acolyte even more expensive!😂

That’s certainly the price hike they needed.

now it’s only a matter of time till somebody buys a unit of 30 acolytes for 1500$.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

Thing is GW doesn't need to drum up any more; at least not compared to say restaurants and such. That said international shipping has likely gone up (even if the boats aren't more expensive to run there's likely new and increased bio-security costs going on all round the world). 

GW is a luxury and optional product, their viewpoint is likely trying to maximise revenue per customer rather than attempt the other way around - lower prices for an increase in market size. GW doesn't need to increase their market they've done that since the big CEO change and its worked out really well for them; leaving them in a really strong position which when coupled with their lack of loans/investors it means that they are emerging in a powerful position compared to many others.

No one likes price rises (I bet you even GW staff who get staff discount hate price rises!). That said the only real way to counter them is mass non-buying coupled to clear and consistent communication to GW CEO's that price was the reason for the reduction in sales alone. Both of which are unlikely to happen en-mass. Prices will be what they are, we either justify if to ourselves and carry on whilst griping a bit; or we have to consider stepping back. Sometimes its enough to make us refocus and perhaps not start that "next" army and complete some we've already got. So sometimes for gamers its not all bad (silver lining and all). 

Now can someone help me justify getting  Morathi...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Ah it’s the perfect cunning plan, to get rid of those certainly not expensive acolytes.

I should have thought so

You realise Acolytes aren't actually on the list?* ;) In fact skaven wise it looks like its just Clanrats, plague monks (still in the getting started set) and the Verminlords.

It's not like Daughters of Khaine where EVERYTHING except for the cauldron and the witch aelves; are in the list (yep melusai, khinerai, doomriders and morathi all on the list). 

*it's a long list but I checked twice and didn't see them unless they are being super sneaky and I missed them 

• Sad 1

+++ MOD HAT +++

Gentle nudge here folks, nobody is happy about price changes regardless of what the product is. 

But, can we please avoid conspiracy theories on the reasons why the prices are changing - we don't know the reasons (and likely never will).  It's entirely possible these changes were decided before the lock down to be announced at the beginning of April (when GW were after all shut).

Ultimately we all control our own wallets/purses/bank accounts.  Unlike the mortgage or food, if we believe that a miniature/box set is too expensive we can chose to not purchase it.  We also have some buying power in using third party suppliers such as Alchemist Workshop/Element Games etc, who offer a decent discount over RRP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Overread said:

You realise Acolytes aren't actually on the list?* ;) In fact skaven wise it looks like its just Clanrats, plague monks (still in the getting started set) and the Verminlords.

It's not like Daughters of Khaine where EVERYTHING except for the cauldron and the witch aelves; are in the list (yep melusai, khinerai, doomriders and morathi all on the list). 

*it's a long list but I checked twice and didn't see them unless they are being super sneaky and I missed them 

Where in the name of Hashut's realm sized hat is this list?!

6 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

Where in the name of Hashut's realm sized hat is this list?!

On the GW website in the update information itself. For ease here is the full list

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/searchResults?N=2512876101+3568984293

It's set to UK store and remember those are the current prices. Just change the store header at the top to your country/region :). 

Wow... that is one heck of a list. If I had to guess now, anything remotely similar to a greater daemon is probably getting the same treatment as the real greater daemons last time around. That means if you want to pick up Nagash, Glottkin, a Maw-krusha, Verminlords... basically anything big, you better do it now before it gets a 30-40% price increase. Too bad really, I was planning on getting back into nurgle when they release the next book and finally picking up the kin. I don't think I can justify a knee-****** purchase to dodge the price increase right now and I'm sure I'm not going to buy it once the price jumps by 30% for no perceivable reason. I guess that pretty much writes off a return to Nurgle for me.

I am really curious if this is all increase or if some of these will actually be getting price decreases. A number of the terrain kits on here are already massively overpriced... I already can't imagine anyone actually buying them as is. It'd make more sense for GW to just drop them from the line entirely if they're going to jack the prices up.  

Edited by Grimrock

Guys it won't be 30-40% price rises. In general when things go up most go up only in smaller increments. I believe rumours are currently saying the worst is the landraider. Many are moving up in-line with other higher priced kits in the same "bracket". Rises are happening, but lets not get too bent out of shape imagining insane numbers. 

I'm just sitting here wondering how much we're going to be screwed over here in Australia and New Zealand, last time the already on the pricey side start collecting boxes got a raise between 10 and 25 AUD. Not one of these units needs a price hike, the Lord-Celestant on Stardrake is already $240 for crying out loud. I guess I'd better buy Skragrott while he's "cheap" then.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Overread said:

Guys it won't be 30-40% price rises. In general when things go up most go up only in smaller increments. I believe rumours are currently saying the worst is the landraider. Many are moving up in-line with other higher priced kits in the same "bracket". Rises are happening, but lets not get too bent out of shape imagining insane numbers. 

I wouldn't have thought that the Bloodthirster would have gone from $130 to $170 (CAD) last year either, but they bumped it and the Lord of Change  up to be in line with the other greater daemon prices. There are a lot of kits of a similar size and price on that list, I would actually be very surprised if they didn't get the same treatment. Glottkin, Nagash, Verminlords... they're all as big or bigger than the greater daemons physically  and they fill the same army role. Why would the changes be any different? 

Edited by Grimrock