The Rumour Thread

13 minutes ago, Clif Blunderbrows said:

Is it actually confirmed somewhere that this is intended to be the same character? The pose, skin tone and his righteous dome are the only similarities I see that aren’t just generic Sigmar/Stormcast icons. If his book is on the back of the model I’d be more sold, but all I see are a scroll and that battle padlock so many Stormcast seem to be so fond of.

I don't think it's confirmed, but pose, ethnicity and hammer (the only knight questor that has one, afaik) seem spot on, with the book being on the back: 

AosStormcastReveal-Oct11-Dacian2hx.jpg

This thing was also revealed quite shortly after squatting the Warpriest. I know Sigmars automata don't have many distinctive features but all of them point to a model that was actually interesting.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I don't think it's confirmed, but pose, ethnicity and hammer (the only knight questor that has one, afaik) seem spot on, with the book being on the back: 

AosStormcastReveal-Oct11-Dacian2hx.jpg

This thing was also revealed quite shortly after squatting the Warpriest. I know Sigmars automata don't have many distinctive features but all of them point to a model that was actually interesting.

Bummer, the book is less ubiquitous among stormcast (warrior chamber at least).  I’ll maintain though that unless GW says “this guy used to be an excelsior war priest (yeah, THAT one)!”  there’s still hope—especially since he is prominently featured in the art for the Soulbound RPG.  Plus, tenbrael shard and mistweaver whats-her-name are seeing new life in warcry form, so I’d say keep those spirits up!

22 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Besides the confirmed armies of Sons of Behemat and Lumineth Realm Lords, what are the credible rumoured factions coming? Soulblight, Kurnothi and Grotbag Scuttlers?

I guess you could add Gitmob Grots to the list going off the wolf rider WHU warband since they don't fit aesthetically and don't worship the moon like the rest of the Gloomspite Gitz do as well. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head other than Malerion's Aelves eventually.

21 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

I can't recall any Duardin Rumor Engines in quite awhile. Maybe some people thought the Hammers that turned out to be Lumineth were Duardin, but aside from that, nothing I'm aware of.

The Fyreslayer tome hints at a grand Dwarf alliance under Grugni and indicates that he is working on some sort of secret project to unite his children, among other things there's the suggestion that he is trying to bring back Vallya. From what I hear the Soulbound RPG goes a bit farther in saying that Grugni is building something called "Reclamation Engines" to take back their lost holds.

That said, model-wise there's been absolutely no indication of anything dwarf related. They could easily be years out still.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, madmac said:

The Fyreslayer tome hints at a grand Dwarf alliance under Grugni and indicates that he is working on some sort of secret project to unite his children, among other things there's the suggestion that he is trying to bring back Vallya. From what I hear the Soulbound RPG goes a bit farther in saying that Grugni is building something called "Reclamation Engines" to take back their lost holds.

That said, model-wise there's been absolutely no indication of anything dwarf related. They could easily be years out still.

The "engines of reclamation" are mentioned, but only as a rumour among "others" (meaning some Duardin). Both Grungni and Malerion are depicted as kind of passive, withdrawn beings in Soulbound, who don't get involved much in current affairs compared to other gods. 

Not that that has to say anything because GW can always say they just seemed withdrawn while actually doing X.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

I can't recall any Duardin Rumor Engines in quite awhile. Maybe some people thought the Hammers that turned out to be Lumineth were Duardin, but aside from that, nothing I'm aware of.

While no duardin on writhed side of the order/chaos line has received any rumour engine pics, I believe that the recent uptick in stories and lore featuring the latter are giving us a good hint.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Clif Blunderbrows said:

Bummer, the book is less ubiquitous among stormcast (warrior chamber at least).  I’ll maintain though that unless GW says “this guy used to be an excelsior war priest (yeah, THAT one)!”  there’s still hope—especially since he is prominently featured in the art for the Soulbound RPG.  Plus, tenbrael shard and mistweaver whats-her-name are seeing new life in warcry form, so I’d say keep those spirits up!

He's lost points and isn't in the CoS book. He's also on the sprue with a smaller than regulations gryph hound. I don't expect him to return. Which is a bummer, because I like the design, even if it suffered from gigantism.

Edited by zilberfrid

7 hours ago, Sete said:

I dislike the concept.

Taste is a matter of taste, I guess.

I dislike Stormcast, Ossiarch, Nurgle, Khorne, Flesh eaters, Chaos warriors, Iron jaws, Phoenix warrior humanoids, think Fyreslayers are stretched too thin with one design, and dislike half of the Lumineth enough to kill the whole range for me, but drowned dead seem like a nice staple to me.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

Golemkin was mentioned too in some battletomes.

Btw, I really hope to see Grotbag Skuttlers!!! Just the feeling to make a naval battle in the skies seems awesome... make it happen GW!!! 

I totally forgot about the golems, now that is an army I'd want to collect.

6 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Taste is a matter of taste, I guess.

I dislike Stormcast, Ossiarch, Nurgle, Khorne, Flesh eaters, Chaos warriors, Iron jaws, Phoenix warrior humanoids, think Fyreslayers are stretched too thin with one design, and dislike half of the Lumineth enough to kill the whole range for me, but drowned dead seem like a nice staple to me.

You're kinda in the wrong game if you dislike half of all the armies in the game. 😂

Edit: I dislike some of the over-busy Ossiarch armor as I believe less is more but I don't dislike them at all. They also quite nicely fit the whole "golem" description... except for the clay part. :)

Edited by MitGas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

If there's enough there otherwise to hold their interest, they're really not.

Well, it's likely he dislikes most of the people's armies he's playing against (most of them are very commonly used), so yeah, he kinda is. :P EDIT: Of course you are free to disagree, after all, it's thankfully not my problem anyways.

Edited by MitGas
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MitGas said:

You're kinda in the wrong game if you dislike half of all the armies in the game. 😂

Edit: I dislike some of the over-busy Ossiarch armor as I believe less is more but I don't dislike them at all. They also quite nicely fit the whole "golem" description... except for the clay part. :)

I don't really play, just build and paint, but I am slowly distancing myself from GW as a whole. They don't even hold scale to themselves, which makes even their best designs hard to use in d&d games and Frostgrave (which will be my primary purpose).

I'm still going to add a few Kharadron sets and the Ogroid Thaumaturge because I like them artistically, and may even grab a few Underworld sets, but AoS's style is not for me.

No negative comments on the community though, I love you people!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I don't really play, just build and paint, but I am slowly distancing myself from GW as a whole. They don't even hold scale to themselves, which makes even their best designs hard to use in d&d games and Frostgrave (which will be my primary purpose).

I'm still going to add a few Kharadron sets and the Ogroid Thaumaturge because I like them artistically, and may even grab a few Underworld sets, but AoS's style is not for me.

I totally get what you mean - but maybe you should be more forgiving with scaling discrepancies, simply because you could enjoy many more minis that way. When we play DnD we still fully omit minis - it's simply less immersive than theater of the mind to our group (I do like the tactical aspect of it but agree with them). Also, a bit more creative basing can fix a few scale problems.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I completely understand you wanting to distance yourself from GW if you're not digging the majority of the models. But to be fair their models were never meant for DnD or Frostgrave since they're specifically designed to be used in their own systems, that said though some of them are great for it and I've used a few in DnD before, mostly 32mm for characters since we like them a little bigger so they stand out more when we're using minis. 

Edited by Dirtnaps
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

I completely understand you wanting to distance yourself from GW if you're not digging the majority of the models. But to be fair their models were never meant for DnD or Frostgrave since they're specifically designed to be used in their own systems, that said though some of them are great for it and I've used a few in DnD before, mostly 32mm for characters since we like them a little bigger so they stand out more when we're using minis. 

Ironically for my group the 32mm minis look much better when put up against our go to source of customisable character models: Lego! (We still love our 25mm figures though.)

6 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Ironically for my group the 32mm minis look much better when put up against our go to source of customisable character models: Lego! (We still love our 25mm figures though.)

My current campaign I run is with Lego and GW works fine with that size, but not style.

Where I play even bodies of freeguild guards and greatswords look really large compared to other people's minis, and newer models fit large creatures better. Next campaign of mine will be minis and a few 2d minis. I might give them Lego hands to swap out weapons, but that can also be done with magnets.

18 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I totally get what you mean - but maybe you should be more forgiving with scaling discrepancies, simply because you could enjoy many more minis that way. When we play DnD we still fully omit minis - it's simply less immersive than theater of the mind to our group (I do like the tactical aspect of it but agree with them). Also, a bit more creative basing can fix a few scale problems.

Dwarves have increased in size by 45%, from 17mm eye height to 25mm, with the modern dwarves being close in height to old humans but more bulky. I can't fix that, I'm a converter, not a magician!

I like using minis and terrain, makes it a lot easier to see what's going on (and I like making it), and we've even started using measuring tape for ranges just before the lockdown.

GW is good at detailing and often design, and just maybe I'll start playing the game in the future, but nagging suspicion about my main faction (Cities) and the one entirely good looking faction having awful scale issues (Kharadron) drive me away.

It's not really the price; apart from heroes, GW isn't that bad pricewise, when you factor in all the extra bits and the quality (though Warlord and Northstar have them beat in my opinion).

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

My current campaign I run is with Lego and GW works fine with that size, but not style.

Where I play even bodies of freeguild guards and greatswords look really large compared to other people's minis, and newer models fit large creatures better. Next campaign of mine will be minis and a few 2d minis. I might give them Lego hands to swap out weapons, but that can also be done with magnets.

Dwarves have increased in size by 45%, from 17mm eye height to 25mm, with the modern dwarves being close in height to old humans but more bulky. I can't fix that, I'm a converter, not a magician!

I like using minis and terrain, makes it a lot easier to see what's going on (and I like making it), and we've even started using measuring tape for ranges just before the lockdown.

GW is good at detailing and often design, and just maybe I'll start playing the game in the future, but nagging suspicion about my main faction (Cities) and the one entirely good looking faction having awful scale issues (Kharadron) drive me away.

It's not really the price; apart from heroes, GW isn't that bad pricewise, when you factor in all the extra bits and the quality (though Warlord and Northstar have them beat in my opinion).

Have you come across Hand of Glory? I recently backed their second kickstarter. They do a range of figures and interchangeable accessories, designed for megnetisation from the ground up. The sheer variety of tools and weapons they've done is amazing, and their new range will introduce some badly needed variety to the available figures (and better sculpts than season one in my opinion!)

https://www.handofglory.co/

They are great for hero figures, where you want to be able to change gear as the game progresses, but want something a bit more in keeping with gaming minis in style, compared to good old Lego Minifigures!

1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

Have you come across Hand of Glory? I recently backed their second kickstarter. They do a range of figures and interchangeable accessories, designed for megnetisation from the ground up. The sheer variety of tools and weapons they've done is amazing, and their new range will introduce some badly needed variety to the available figures (and better sculpts than season one in my opinion!)

https://www.handofglory.co/

They are great for hero figures, where you want to be able to change gear as the game progresses, but want something a bit more in keeping with gaming minis in style, compared to good old Lego Minifigures!

I had not heard of them, and they seem really good! (Even though pewter isn't the best friend of converters)

For the moment, I have about 200 (maybe 250 by now) existing miniatures, and dole some of them out to people that want conversion food (mostly the guards and gunners, I have entirely too many of those), as well as a lot of minis. New figs I make that are not fixed to vehicles are equipped with magnets in the shoulder sockets, which allows for quite a few different options. I've also converted a few guns, bows and crossbows to fit guard bodies.

(If we continue this discussion, another thread would be more fitting though).

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

Fyreslayers need Gotrek design.

Butt naked dwarfs dont tickle my fancy.

Pants, even if with a loincloth over for style points, shoulder armour, bare chest and boots. 

It's the only army I seriously dislike.

Edited by Sete
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1