The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

It seems I am not alone in the camp of people that like The Old World (and AoS), but actually want epic scale.

In fact, one of my biggest GW regrets is that I came back to the hobby just after Warmaster was gone.

Personally I think rank and file and mass battles just works so much better with 6-15mm scale games. You get a better sense of rank and file and mass infantry; terrain features shift so now a castle on the table is practical to achieve without needing half the room and carrying a massive amount of parts (and even then likely only having one wall segment). For a high fantasy game I think it also lets you have units like dragons have far more impact in the game. In AoS a dragon might kill a dozen warriors - in a warmaster scale game a dragon might kill a dozen regiments ;) 

I had my eye on Warmaster for ages, but it was never popular in my area. Like Epic something failed- either in the marketing or in the fact that those scales have never been super popular outside of historical games (which are themselves a niche). I think GW today if they did Warmaster scale could make it work because of their huge amount of marketing. I'd love it to make a return - until then I've drifted toward Battle Valor and hope to get that started at some time. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Kyriakin said:

The End Times - with new stories, books, models, etc. - did pretty well until the player base got spooked by wild rumours (which ended up being mostly true).

Indeed it was a monumental marketing blunder on GW's part alone. End Times proved that Old World worked. The thrust of marketing, new models, new direction and attention sparked peoples interest. Then came the rumours (remembering this is GW of old so we did NOT get marketing like we do today - we had NO idea what was coming). Then came GW kicking the feet out from all those renewed interest players in a brutal manner. That times back then were hostile toward AoS from a market of Old World players and enthusiasts who had just been fired up from potentially seeing their game lost - to seeing the company actually kill it off - was no shock. The greater shock was that GW did it and it cost them several years of sales and a huge turn around in attitudes, marketing, their upper management and in investing heavily and changing the whole focus of AoS to recover.

However as a result we now have AoS as it is today - VASTLY improved and improving in general all the time (provided we can overlook some of Gw's classic overpowered balancing "blunders/tactics") 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

A Song of Ice & Fire has a bigger scale than AoS and it pretty much exploded, even AFTER the disastrous Season 8 of the adaption. Locally, even Kings of War got pushed aside for it. 

The advantage that it has is when you a buy a unit, that's your unit. If you want more of it, you're buying another unit. There's no 'buy four boxes to make it viable' that 8th WHFB had.  It also has a very surprisingly low model count overall for a mass ranked game - most armies at an average 40pts is looking at about four to six units (Free Folk are an exception, but not necessarily).

Ultimately I think TOW's success is going to come down to if GW can keep themselves from trying to force people to buy hundreds of identical models by relying on the whales making up for the lack of newcomers who'd rather buy x2 Tacticals (Intercessors now?) and x1 Captain versus x12 Core. Games Workshop's advantage is the almost cult-like brand loyalty from older customers. They don't even need to make a great game and the name alone will bring most people back, if they can only hold onto them.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, xking said:

I'm going to say Flesh Eater Courts again (specifically a Warcry warband) and whilst my first instinct was to assume he was wielding a bone, it looks more like some sort of pipe has been carved out of one? And a herald would definitely fit the 'dark mockery of a court'. 

15 minutes ago, xking said:

I don't think this is Flesh Eaters, it's got three digits and no claws. This makes me think it's either some kind of xenos model for 40k even though I think it's highly unlikely since it doesn't seem to match any of the current factions aesthetics or more likely one of the skinks from a Seraphon Warcry warband.

Edited by Dirtnaps

Something dead and fleshy themed (flesheaters) or something nurgly. 

I don't think its something skeletal or vampire based since they tend to have more refinement in general. So I'm also leaning toward potential Flesheater or Nurgle. Both would make use of a bone for an instrument. It's also the kind of thing FEC do "need" as right now their models have no connection to their insanity in the lore. Having a musician for a squad support playing on fine crafted instruments (bones of the dead) to trumpet in the arrival of the glorious king upon his noble steed (the blood soaked vampire atop the horrific zombie dragon). 

27 minutes ago, michu said:

That's a bone flute. There are air vents in it.

That's a good point!!

28 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I'm going to say Flesh Eater Courts again (specifically a Warcry warband) and whilst my first instinct was to assume he was wielding a bone, it looks more like some sort of pipe has been carved out of one? And a herald would definitely fit the 'dark mockery of a court'. 

Thatll be awesome if true.

Just now, Morglum StormBasha said:

That Bone flute is super confusing.

its held by hands with only 3 digits

ghould have 5 and skinks 4 so what on earth is this ?

Humans nibble their fingernails

Ghouls nibble their fingers ;)

3 Fingers is what is making some think it could be a Demonic unit - ergo something from the vile ranks of Nurgle

7 minutes ago, Morglum StormBasha said:

That Bone flute is super confusing.

its held by hands with only 3 digits

ghould have 5 and skinks 4 so what on earth is this ?

Its a johan in the giant Imperial giant box.

Johan's grandfather to be precise who was a shoemaker and lost two fingers by hitting them with a hammer when he ran away from a giant.

38 minutes ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

Lizard folk don't seem to use bone's as instruments.

Verrrry verrryyy confusing Workshop Chan!!

Now here's a 3 finger boi: Kroot! I don't think so though, limbs look a little small? Although if there was a race that would use bones as doot doots, I wouldn't put it past Kroot.

Kroot have 4, they have almost 2 thumbs (2 pairs of fingers working in opposite directions). 

• Thanks 1

I think that a death based Warcry Warband seems to be a given at this point, but I am really not sure this fits Flesh Eater's long claw aesthetic. It could be something Flesh Eater Court related but it is not a typical ghoul.

Seraphon musicians typically play drums and also seem to all have claws. Maybe they are redesigning Chameleon skinks to have different hands?

Nurgling does seem to be the closest fit in terms of hand design from what I have seen suggested so far. It could be a little Nurgling playing an instrument on a base and could therefore be for either AOS or 40K.

Considering that Warcry Warbands all seem to represent a realm, this might be a new unit from Shyish but I am not sure what other creatures in AOS have three fingers. How many fingers do Sylvaneth sprites have? Maybe, it is a little sprite from the realm of death.

It could also be something entirely new.