The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Soolong said:

I'm going to die laughing if old world is warmaster scale. 

I really don't understand this snide, gleeful hope from certain people that TOW will not be what WHFB fans want from it.

Ah well, tick tock.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

23 minutes ago, silverstu said:

The bear looks awesome!Although what I'm continued to be excited about is Norse Dwarfs on the map... Norse Dwarfs with bears would almost be too much.. almost.... 

I didn't know that i wanted... needed some dwarfs riding bears in my life, until now!!

By the recent disappointment in terrain pieces, endless spells or lack there of.. I would say it looks like more thought and care is being poured into the old world again lol.

though to be fair neither of the above have ever been great. However, more so recently there seems to be controversy over the design of said terrain and spells being missed opportunities or weak. 

• Confused 3

3 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I really don't understand this snide, gleeful hope from certain people that TOW will not be what WHFB fans want from it.

Ah well, tick tock.

It's just tribalism. Both sides have a few neerdowells who just want to wind up the "other side".

Best just to ignore them.  Most normal people just want a wide range players to have things they enjoy, no matter what their own personal preferences are. 

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Does anybody have the Lumineth VS S2D White Dwarf already?

I bet S2D are either being wiped off the table completely or they lose horrendously.
At least that will happen unless the Lumineth player does make bad decisions on purpose 🤣

srsly I am interested in that battle report, do we k ow when it‘ll be purchasable (digital version)?

On facebook someone said it was a draw.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

I wonder if TOW is really that far away. They are always quick to remember us that this is still sooooo far away... but on the other hand, did we ever see concept art teasers for things that are still 2-3 years in the future from GW? 

Yeah, the Sisters of Battle thing was like that. 

Creating new artwork is the fastest part of the whole process.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Yeah, the Sisters of Battle thing was like that. 

Creating new artwork is the fastest part of the whole process.

You’re right, Sisters was similar.

I don’t know if this works, though. Currently, I have a feeling that all those early teases and rumors actually keep me from buying. Something like „let’s first see if there’s something even more interesting down the line, before committing lots of painting time/money“.

Is this just me?

Reading al this above but the only thing im thinking about it how Eltharion the ex blind can be 220 points with those rules. Like... i dont know any 220 point character with that potential. Cant name a 300 point character with this potential and my celestant prime is just smiling at this moment. Im not sure what to think about it. Same goes for these really good saves on these elite guys. Are aelves the new lore tanks now? kind of hoped a more glasscanon vibe. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

You’re right, Sisters was similar.

I don’t know if this works, though. Currently, I have a feeling that all those early teases and rumors actually keep me from buying. Something like „let’s first see if there’s something even more interesting down the line, before committing lots of painting time/money“.

Is this just me?

But there’s nothing to buy or paint yet anyway?

10 minutes ago, Still-young said:

But there’s nothing to buy or paint yet anyway?

I still have some left. But in the last weeks I got interested in looking for some new project to maybe try something different. I like the Idoneth, but they still feel half-baked, and no extension of their range in sight. I liked the Lumineth spearmen, archers and riders and had some idea to maybe make them into a AoSified Lothern Sea Patrol, but the cows and hammers didn’t fit at all, and I don’t know if there will be more models that would fit. Now, those Kislevites make me wonder what they may come up with for ToW. 
Sorry to sound a bit negative today. But I have a feeling that the half-bakedness of much of the current GW stuff isn’t helping with the half-bakedness of my own ideas. Like I said, maybe it’s just me. 😕

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Ah well, tick tock.

I am a big WFB fan.

"Fans" of anything do not speak with a single voice. I loved and missed old WFB. I just think that with a second Warhammer in the same scale as AoS is, I dunno, not as compelling as a totally different scale.

WFB was a big wargame with big armies in big blocks. It failed. It got cancelled. A general consensus is that needing hundreds of models for an average sized game held it back. AoS came out and scratched similar itches without the investment of time, models, and cash that WFB needed. It's doing great!

To bring back an old game with old models just to have another go at a failed style doesn't seem like a money making move for GW. They need to sell models, not just rules, and giving us rules for our old models doesn't sell the veteran WFB players much in the way of new armies. That's why I'm thinking it won't be rules for our old models.

So, as much as I'd love to have my TK back in the table, I'm anticipating that not happening, and I'm looking forward to something new and epic.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

TBH, time and technology aren't the same anymore. My WFB armies are full of metal miniatures. Now, you can have a block of 20 squeletons/kairic acolytes/whatever troops for cheap (hummm cheap in GW price scale). Nowadays, I'm pretty sure that a WFB costs the same as an AoS army.

The WFB fail was mostly due to the bad development/marketing strategy and the focus on the cash machine 40K. At least they thought that way and that was their mistake (AoS proves they where wrong). With better management, they could have continued several superb if not best games in addition to 40K: 3 of them are my all time fav:battlefleet gothic (battleship miniatures!! miam miam!) , warmaster (in 6mm scale: loved this scale), Epic (oh dear! what a sublime game! super loved the scale and pace! definitly best of the best). For those 3 games, the fatal thing was: full metal mini range. GW couldn't manage. (In fact, they were afraid that the sales of epic could vampirise the 40K ones.../ same for warmaster and WFB/ what a shame🤔)

Edited by GeneralZero
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I am a big WFB fan.

"Fans" of anything do not speak with a single voice. I loved and missed old WFB. I just think that with a second Warhammer in the same scale as AoS is, I dunno, not as compelling as a totally different scale.

WFB was a big wargame with big armies in big blocks. It failed. It got cancelled. A general consensus is that needing hundreds of models for an average sized game held it back. AoS came out and scratched similar itches without the investment of time, models, and cash that WFB needed. It's doing great!

To bring back an old game with old models just to have another go at a failed style doesn't seem like a money making move for GW. They need to sell models, not just rules, and giving us rules for our old models doesn't sell the veteran WFB players much in the way of new armies. That's why I'm thinking it won't be rules for our old models.

So, as much as I'd love to have my TK back in the table, I'm anticipating that not happening, and I'm looking forward to something new and epic.

I'd argue that its unreasonable to say that WFB failed, and thus the format as a whole is unworkable. It was very successful for many decades, and the problems you describe only really became endemic towards the end. A large number of other games, both fantasy and historical, also use that rank and flank, mass combat format, and are doing perfectly well for themselves, even if they are not making "GW levels" of money.

It would be more accurate to say that there was an edition and a half of support that wasn't well received by the fanbase. That led to a drop off in sales, to the point where it was not profitable enough for GW. However, it can't really be said to be a damning criticism of the format as a whole. If anything AoS demonstrates that a radical overhaul and rebranding of the fantasy range can work wonders. I thus have no doubt that they can do something similar with old world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And yet 40K is doing powerfully well and most armies in that at 20K use a LOT of models. Rank and file isn't what failed Old World. 

I'd argue one if its failing is that GW didn't have Killteam back then. GW has put a lot of money into both Killteam and Warcry. Smaller games that get you going with a single box of models - or perhaps a couple. Small armies in a viable game format with its own rules and marketing. Old World didn't have that. In fact at lower levels its system of gaming was rather dull. One box of warriors mean you had one block of infantry which basically would just run up and ram into the enemy block and its then a dice-off. Manoeuvring and such doesn't really happen at that scale.

In addition as its popularity dwindled (partly I think because Lord of the Ring was also stealing the lime light of fantasy marketing at the time) you ended up with a bigger player divide. More and more the players you had left had 2K armies and wanted 2K games; whilst those joining in were fewer and thus had more pressure to need that 2K army. Which led to more regular burnout. Fewer people starting makes it harder to get more people playing. GW has clearly recognised this as a potential weakness in the growth of their games. Hence why they are pushing so many smaller scale skirmish games to help people over that introduction hurdle.

I think one or two Old World armies were worse - Skaven for example had an insane number of rats you "needed" to make it work. Most other armies were far more sane in their number requirements and not vastly different from 40K today or some of the large swarming armies of AoS. 

Model count wasn't the issue; it was the buildup; the marketing overall and the recruitment and retention of players. 

• Like 6