The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll said:

But is there stuff with tags and mechanics built for it that never becomes models? There's certainly stuff in the fiction that never gets models, but is there stuff that has a slot in the gameplay specifically and explicitly left open for it that has gotten completely dropped? 

In the past GW was really bad at this. Tyranids from 40K have had winged warriors as an option for years and until the recent "no model no rules" policy; GW had never given them a winged kit. Same for a series of weapon options for gaunts and hero style units. All had rules, formal fully fleshed out units in the Codex - yet never a model. 

GW started changing when the internet and 3rd parties started to really take off because GW couldn't protect/prevent other companies from making proxy models. So GW decided to adopt the "no model no rules" approach whereby they stripped content that didn't have a model from their books. 

Of course another part was that back then GW was much more into big wave releases; so armies could wait ages between updates. You'd get new models in the book, but never actually get the models until your next big wave - and some just never came.

GW is much better at preventing that today, but it can still happen. Eg Escher in Necromunda have Pyrr cats which have never had a mode released (they were worked on - shown at a preview event and then never seen again after they were taken back to be reworked)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Hoping next weekend they make an announcement for the next Preview date. Not having any new Warhammer news or releases is more of a bummer than I thought it would be. Completely a selfish comment with the global situation.

Its perfectly acceptable to want the thing that gets you through a tough time. 

I do miss it too, warhammer and this community is one of the very few things that's keeping me sane through this, does make it harder when there's less of the thing you love huh. 

Just knowing there's another preview is great though, roll on Warhammer Fest! 😁

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

Its perfectly acceptable to want the thing that gets you through a tough time. 

I do miss it too, warhammer and this community is one of the very few things that's keeping me sane through this, does make it harder when there's less of the thing you love huh. 

Just knowing there's another preview is great though, roll on Warhammer Fest! 😁

Thanks mate. Yeah I'm really keen on seeing what will be shown off!! More Lumineth perhaps? Maybe the Sons Battletome or a piece of Terrain? 

• Like 2

On 4/26/2020 at 8:31 AM, alghero81 said:

For the ignorants like me, isn’t a crossbow something similar but easier to use? Ok less range but also easier to use...

actually crossbows had a longer range in real life, atleast at the time. historical records show the English believed the longbow had a maximum range of about 220yards. the Teutonic order considered a (13th century) crossbow of haveing a maxium range of about 330yards (although around 250 for armoured targets), and 15th  sources had the crossbow at 380yards for armoured targets (unknown range for unarmoured targets tho), 16th some century crossbows were considered to have a battlefield range of almost 500 yards.

the maximum theoretical range of a longbow is about 330yards but that requires the shot to be arced which was not done historically with longbows.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

NEWS!!!

Drachenfels is only £1 (or local equivalent) for this week in both audiobook and ebook formats. I've heard fantastic things about this book and its got a long popular legacy behind it. 

https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-horror/whh-genevieve/drachenfels-2019.html

In other news if you want to learn more about the Medieval period I strongly suggest checking out this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMjlDOf0UO9wSijFqPE9wBw

The guy makes great videos to a high production value and is very easy to watch and understand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

actually crossbows had a longer range in real life, atleast at the time. historical records show the English believed the longbow had a maximum range of about 220yards. the Teutonic order considered a (13th century) crossbow of haveing a maxium range of about 330yards (although around 250 for armoured targets), and 15th  sources had the crossbow at 380yards for armoured targets (unknown range for unarmoured targets tho), 16th some century crossbows were considered to have a battlefield range of almost 500 yards.

the maximum theoretical range of a longbow is about 330yards but that requires the shot to be arced which was not done historically with longbows.

Umm... what?

Every shot is arced in an environment with a non-zero gravity.

And how can a standard range be given in a world of no standardization in draw length, draw weight, material used and projectile measures?

Edited by Beastmaster
  • Like 1

In the interests of saving the Rumours thread from another outbreak - 

A whole thread dedicated to real wrold weapons, history and chatter. Of course if you want to discuss a specific area of interest - such as archery - please by all means do start your own thread on the subject. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Overread said:

NEWS!!!

Drachenfels is only £1 (or local equivalent) for this week in both audiobook and ebook formats. I've heard fantastic things about this book and its got a long popular legacy behind it. 

https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-horror/whh-genevieve/drachenfels-2019.html

In other news if you want to learn more about the Medieval period I strongly suggest checking out this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMjlDOf0UO9wSijFqPE9wBw

The guy makes great videos to a high production value and is very easy to watch and understand. 

All of the Vampire Genevieve novels are awesome.  Well worth checking out the entire collection!

New Warstomper Mega Gargant artwork from Warhammer Community. It looks bloody beautiful!!

Also what is in his left hand? Is this a Ranged weapon? Probably debris to be thrown.

I also cannot wait to see the back of the Mega Gargants and get a good look at the shipwreck on Kraken Eater and the head of whatever beast is on Warstomper. I think it may be a Cygor.

Ym6__Dl3Rj_7uM3-.jpg

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 3

More than anything I am hoping the Mega Gargants come with a clearly mutated Chaotic head and a zombified or partial skull head. I just adore the idea of running these guys as both a part of other alliances and also their own army. I think the current heads look great for both Order and Destruction I would just like something to fit the other two allegiances. 

I know some people are not fond of the salvaged icons (such as the Khorne emblem), but I love the idea of the giants selling their services and even identifying with their employers only to meet up with other Gargants and wrecking house.

5 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

More than anything I am hoping the Mega Gargants come with a clearly mutated Chaotic head and a zombified or partial skull head. I just adore the idea of running these guys as both a part of other alliances and also their own army. I think the current heads look great for both Order and Destruction I would just like something to fit the other two allegiances. 

I hope so but -as usual - I'm afraid that we won't get it. 

As we will have the warscrolls playable in all armies, does anybody know a miniature (not that mini 😉 ) which mega gargant size but look like a zomby or a suqlly or a ghouly ? I'd like to have such a giant in my death army, even if it is not GW mini. (same question  for chaos also)

• Thanks 1

• Subscriber

Good news about GW starting to open up again. I got some virtual vouchers to spend, although it looks like the ones I purchased through the FW site cannot be used on the GW site (and presumably vice versa), was hoping to get some FW bits then save the rest for a mega-gargant and mechanical-horse-things when they get released. Any guesses on how much a mega-gargant kit will cost?

On the topic of release, I wonder how they will stagger the releases for things that would've been normally released by now? Will they squeeze them into the rest of the year or will they space them out to run into next year?

9 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

Good news about GW starting to open up again. I got some virtual vouchers to spend, although it looks like the ones I purchased through the FW site cannot be used on the GW site (and presumably vice versa), was hoping to get some FW bits then save the rest for a mega-gargant and mechanical-horse-things when they get released. Any guesses on how much a mega-gargant kit will cost?

On the topic of release, I wonder how they will stagger the releases for things that would've been normally released by now? Will they squeeze them into the rest of the year or will they space them out to run into next year?

I think they will try to squeeze them - I think as they have tight release schedule and it would mess up all their future releases. So I think they will try to squeeze them (especially stuff they've already shown) and if that can't be done they will space it out then.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

New Warstomper Mega Gargant artwork from Warhammer Community. It looks bloody beautiful!!

Also what is in his left hand? Is this a Ranged weapon? Probably debris to be thrown.

I also cannot wait to see the back of the Mega Gargants and get a good look at the shipwreck on Kraken Eater and the head of whatever beast is on Warstomper. I think it may be a Cygor.

Ym6__Dl3Rj_7uM3-.jpg

If you squint really hard, I think you'll see it's a handful of Magmadroths ;)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

The Imperial Knight Castellan and Valiant are £100 so I'd assume around the same price, maybe a bit more. I'd say between £100-£120.

22 minutes ago, michu said:

That Catachan model solves one of rumour engines.

I wonder if GW are planning on rebooting the Catachans. This is the second Store Exclusive mini in a few months and both are Catachans. The range is in dire need of an upgrade so it's not too far fetched.