The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, Wobbly said:

The problem is that once you think you have decoded what GW will do, what they intend, what they will release or how future miniatures will look then they will absolutely not do just that. They constantly do things that (most) people do not suspect.

Lets take Sons of Behemat as an example. Already people have started  filling in the huge and gaping  blanks of what we don't know about the faction (basically anything beside the name). What´s the odds of anyone doing these speculations being anywhere close to the mark?

What I gathered from the Spiky Aelves teaser was that it was a new faction, roughly based on the old High Elf faction and I then assumed that GW would do their usual new iteration of them with a twist. How wild and out there this twist would be was to be determined later...and here we are partway down the stream.

I'm the one absolutely pumped up for Sons. They've been my dream army for over 20 years and I cannot wait to see them. All I know if there going to be Gargants. That's it. It's all I want. Theyll AOS the hell out of them I'm sure, but I cannot wait.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

In 40k Warhammer they have a GUN that SHOOTS goblins ON PURPOSE.

I don't even know how it floats or moves or whatever. 

I'm pretty sure most guns in 40k shoot goblins on purpose 😆

...and yeah, the throne of power was literally just carried around by other dwarfs. I think that's arguably more ridiculous than it just floating.

On another note, can I just say that I really dislike the new Lumineth stuff compared to the earlier bits, but I think it's a totally fine decision by GW and don't feel betrayed or slighted or cheated in the least? I think every army that I have ever played has had sculpts that I don't care for. If I play Lumineth and include the cow hammerers, I'll be doing headswaps or remodeling for sure. That's fine. 

There are so many ranges in both WHFB and AOS that could cause this kind of disappointment if they were rolled out in a certain way.

Kharadron: initial previews of Arkanauts and Thunderers: yay! it's updated Dwarfs! ; Reveal: airships and balloon boys: wtf! I hate steampunk! bait and switch! I wanted classic Dwarfs with an updated aesthetic!

Stormcast: initial previews of any of the infantry, dracoth riders: yes! the good guys finally get badass chaos warrior types that ride beef dragons! ; Reveal: anything riding a gryph charger: wtf! why does this army have chickens in it???

Sylvaneth: wait, what? the faction entirely made up of plants and spirits is led by a giant lady riding a beetle?

Seraphon: Dinosaurs riding dinosaurs! So cool! Wait, my only special character is a sort-of undead frog? My best wizards are just fat toads riding a floating chair?

This is just scratching the surface. Only the smallest factions have truly and fully unified design. It's common to have units within a faction that loosely fit the aesthetic and theme. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

I'm pretty sure most guns in 40k shoot goblins on purpose 😆

...and yeah, the throne of power was literally just carried around by other dwarfs. I think that's arguably more ridiculous than it just floating.

On another note, can I just say that I really dislike the new Lumineth stuff compared to the earlier bits, but I think it's a totally fine decision by GW and don't feel betrayed or slighted or cheated in the least? I think every army that I have ever played has had sculpts that I don't care for. If I play Lumineth and include the cow hammerers, I'll be doing headswaps or remodeling for sure. That's fine. 

There are so many ranges in both WHFB and AOS that could cause this kind of disappointment if they were rolled out in a certain way.

Kharadron: initial previews of Arkanauts and Thunderers: yay! it's updated Dwarfs! ; Reveal: airships and balloon boys: wtf! I hate steampunk! bait and switch! I wanted classic Dwarfs with an updated aesthetic!

Stormcast: initial previews of any of the infantry, dracoth riders: yes! the good guys finally get badass chaos warrior types that ride beef dragons! ; Reveal: anything riding a gryph charger: wtf! why does this army have chickens in it???

Sylvaneth: wait, what? the faction entirely made up of plants and spirits is led by a giant lady riding a beetle?

Seraphon: Dinosaurs riding dinosaurs! So cool! Wait, my only special character is a sort-of undead frog? My best wizards are just fat toads riding a floating chair?

This is just scratching the surface. Only the smallest factions have truly and fully unified design. It's common to have units within a faction that loosely fit the aesthetic and theme. 

My recollection of most of these:

Stormcast: These might be really cool in any color but Gold. Yes, doing stone or marble is pretty awesome.

Fyreslayers: It's just the Slayer theme. That's okay I guess.

Everchosen: Cool, but I'm not building an army of three units that is that expensive.

Stormcast, Fyreslayers, and Ironjawz: Oh great, 3/3 for resizing of old armies. RIP my old stuff.

Sylvaneth: Literally nobody who was on the AoS train, or were potentially getting on the train, complained about this one. Not hyperbole. This was met with near universal praise.

Kharadron: A Dwarf named Slickback. Most hated the balloons on launch, once they came out everybody said they were aight.

Nurgle, Daughters: No Issue.

Idoneth: These are okay, but they aren't the Merfolk I've been asking about.

Nighthaunt and Gloomspite: Loved.

Slaanesh: That's cool (Slaanesh is weird)

Ossiarch Bonereapers: What's wrong with your face?

Seraphon: Why you no plastic frog?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

It was incredible misleading. The first trailler suggested "classic models made modern" not "lol bull horns for all".

I expected something like the new Chaos starter set where they redone classic models with modern tecnology. 

Heck the High Elves never lived up to the high quality of their artwork ( the Aenerion piece with the Dragon is just amazing) and right now  GW have the means to produce that level of quality.

People wouldnt be so upset if their marketing was done in other ways.  Idoneth was a new concept by Teclis and people accepted rather well. Same goes to Morathi. But Lumineth marketing led us to belive in a product that was not delivered, hence the backlash from some of the fans.

I've played HE since they exist, and I don't find it misleading. I understood the Pointy Aelves video in the way that the new Hysh Elves would be elves and not some tree or snake hybrid, or something totally different like blind, bald, soul-hunting underwater folk. Just elves. And that's what they have delivered so far. 

How can you look at the full range and say "lol bull horns for all"? None of the basic troops has bull horns. They look just like HE brought into AoS. Almost everything about them harkens back to the HE. They use the same rune system, same robes, same style of armour (breast plate with chain/scale mail below). They even gave them traditional horses. All the core troops, which would be a large part of the army could be easily used as High Elves if you want to do that. 

Even if you don't like the Teclis and Eltharion models, they are also reminiscent of their former models. No bull horns on either of them. 

Then they showed us 1 out of 4 sub-cultures which is associated with a mystical beast-spirit. Again something in the tradition of the former HE (Phoenix Guard, White Lions, Dragon Knights). They just decided it's cool to make it a mystical beast with horns this time. And again the Stoneguard, if you just cut off the horned part on top and give them a great sword or great axe, you could easily use them as Sword Masters or White Lions. The rest of the helm, armour and closing is really similar to the HE style. 

I can really understand that some people don't like the aesthetics of the Mountain faction. The helmets are over the top, and we haven't hadn't had many horns for High Elves (Wood Elves did though). But some of the criticism (these are not elves! Hashut!) seems just lazy and pretty unfair to what GW has done. We haven't even seen the full range yet. There is a difference between meeting your personal expectations and some objective marketing fault. For example, I would have found "angel elves" (hybrid elves with wings) strange after watching the Pointy Aelves vid. But many people expected that and would love them. And they might still come with the Lumineth (wind faction). Then it would't have been what I expected, but what many others did looking exactly at the same marketing content. 

And there was also a pronounced backlash against the Idoneth. Many people didn't like them at all. Same goes for the KO and many other factions. 

I really hope though the release will include at least one more subculture which includes a winged monster with similar themed units. I think that would make many of the people happy who are on the fence right now, and it was a central theme of the HE. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

I think a lot of the frustration is that people who don't like the Mountain stuff, and I don't think they're a small cohort considering how much this has blown up online everywhere is that it's difficult for those people to envision building a Lumineth army they will actually like with what has been presented of the range so far.

Myself for example, I like the Spearmen, and the Cav, and I think the triple bowstrings are kinda dumb but I can live with the archers.  Eltharion also looks amazing. Thing is, those three models don't really dovetail into an army I'm interested in, that's just a handful of different basic battle line choices with no synergies. It's a nice base to get started with, but it's not the cool High Elf stuff I always used to covet, like Phoenixes and Phoenix Guard and Swordmasters and White Lions and Dragon Princes and friggen Dragons. That was always the rad stuff with High Aelves and none of it is forthcoming with the current reveals.

If I want to add a wizard hero to the army, there's....uh, the stone mage who's in a race to break off their base and Teclis, who I don't hate as much as some people, but it's still a huge awkward model that I'll probably not get around to painting for a long while or want to field in every army.

If you're looking for elite choices, or heroes, or big monsters the Cow Elves are pretty much all we got at the moment. I even actually kinda like the huge Cow Monster, but his synergies will probably be build around the Hammer Bros and Monkey King Mage, so even though I like that model I'm less inclined to shell out for it.

Edited by madmac
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

😆..and yeah, the throne of power was literally just carried around by other dwarfs. I think that's arguably more ridiculous than it just floating.

I think this is a reference to Asterix, where the leader was constantly carried around on a shield (which itself is a reference to a Merovingian practice, where the leader (at least Clovis) was shown around on a shield carried by his warriors after coronation).

• Like 6

With the new Aelves divided in 4 nations I’m really hoping this release will focus only on one or two elements leaving the others for a later release. 
To combine new releases with updated models they could use this as a template, where future releases in between battletomes concentrate on one aspect of the army with only few models requiring only a small booklet for the new sub-faction. For example a new elemental nation for the Lumineth, Spiferfang for the Gloomspite, a clan for Skaven, a new chamber made of few models instead of a new range for Stormcast and so on... obviously not all factions would fit this type of treatment but AoS is so much a mixture of different things that can still work this way.

Anyway not long to Saturday now, we are already half way through! I would just wish the preview was a bit quicker as last one had a lot of downtime.

14 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

I've played HE since they exist, and I don't find it misleading. I understood the Pointy Aelves video in the way that the new Hysh Elves would be elves and not some tree or snake hybrid, or something totally different like blind, bald, soul-hunting underwater folk. Just elves. And that's what they have delivered so far. 

How can you look at the full range and say "lol bull horns for all"? None of the basic troops has bull horns. They look just like HE brought into AoS. Almost everything about them harkens back to the HE. They use the same rune system, same robes, same style of armour (breast plate with chain/scale mail below). They even gave them traditional horses. All the core troops, which would be a large part of the army could be easily used as High Elves if you want to do that. 

Even if you don't like the Teclis and Eltharion models, they are also reminiscent of their former models. No bull horns on either of them. 

Then they showed us 1 out of 4 sub-cultures which is associated with a mystical beast-spirit. Again something in the tradition of the former HE (Phoenix Guard, White Lions, Dragon Knights). They just decided it's cool to make it a mystical beast with horns this time. And again the Stoneguard, if you just cut off the horned part on top and give them a great sword or great axe, you could easily use them as Sword Masters or White Lions. The rest of the helm, armour and closing is really similar to the HE style. 

I can really understand that some people don't like the aesthetics of the Mountain faction. The helmets are over the top, and we haven't hadn't had many horns for High Elves (Wood Elves did though). But some of the criticism (these are not elves! Hashut!) seems just lazy and pretty unfair to what GW has done. We haven't even seen the full range yet. There is a difference between meeting your personal expectations and some objective marketing fault. For example, I would have found "angel elves" (hybrid elves with wings) strange after watching the Pointy Aelves vid. But many people expected that and would love them. And they might still come with the Lumineth (wind faction). Then it would't have been what I expected, but what many others did looking exactly at the same marketing content. 

And there was also a pronounced backlash against the Idoneth. Many people didn't like them at all. Same goes for the KO and many other factions. 

I really hope though the release will include at least one more subculture which includes a winged monster with similar themed units. I think that would make many of the people happy who are on the fence right now, and it was a central theme of the HE. 

I wonder if the other 3 Mythical Beasts will be a Lion/Tiger, Crane and Dragon....

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

With the new Aelves divided in 4 nations I’m really hoping this release will focus only on one or two elements leaving the others for a later release. 
To combine new releases with updated models they could use this as a template, where future releases in between battletomes concentrate on one aspect of the army with only few models requiring only a small booklet for the new sub-faction. For example a new elemental nation for the Lumineth, Spiferfang for the Gloomspite, a clan for Skaven, a new chamber made of few models instead of a new range for Stormcast and so on... obviously not all factions would fit this type of treatment but AoS is so much a mixture of different things that can still work this way.

Anyway not long to Saturday now, we are already half way through! I would just wish the preview was a bit quicker as last one had a lot of downtime.

Water. Earth. Fire. Air. My grandmother used to tell me stories about the old days, a time of peace when the High Aelves kept balance between the Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Air Nomads. But that all changed when the Fire Nation attacked...

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I wonder if the other 3 Mythical Beasts will be a Lion/Tiger, Crane and Dragon....

More like a crane avatar with a sea on its shoulders, a dragon  avatar with a volcano on its shoulders and a lion (edit) Avatar with the whole of Africa on its shoulders 🤣

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, JackStreicher said:

More like a crane avatar with a sea on its shoulders, a dragon  avatar with a volcano on its shoulders and a tiger Avatar with the whole of Africa on its shoulders 🤣

lol the 4 beast in mists of pandaria (World of Warcraft expansion based on chinese mythology) were an OX (Cow), Dragon, Crane and Tiger :P

Sounds like Aelves already had a dragon, lion and phoenix...so it's not that different and again they seem to be chinese inspired or something? 

Just kind of making a joke. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

More like a crane avatar with a sea on its shoulders, a dragon  avatar with a volcano on its shoulders and a lion (edit) Avatar with the whole of Africa on its shoulders 🤣

Celenar has an old nun on his "shoulders". At least they are not High Elfs 😜

Edited by Beliman
  • Haha 1

Unbenannt-2.png.46cdb10bce83f1e7a580da41b7b4b8e4.png

I had an Idea how to make LRL Hammerers awesome and above you see some proof of concept. Same size, only the position is shifted. You can even easily spot the champ with the bracers on the Horn.

Edit: Btw I could imagine that the upper Helmet and the Lower Helmet are seperate parts that are supposed to be glued together. In this case this conversion would be easier than to build the actual model

Edited by Charleston
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

50 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Unbenannt-2.png.46cdb10bce83f1e7a580da41b7b4b8e4.png

I had an Idea how to make LRL Hammerers awesome and above you see some proof of concept. Same size, only the position is shifted. You can even easily spot the champ with the bracers on the Horn.

Edit: Btw I could imagine that the upper Helmet and the Lower Helmet are seperate parts that are supposed to be glued together. In this case this conversion would be easier than to build the actual model

I think the helmets will look a but odd without the bull part due to the tick connection to the upper part.

Those edits look good. It's sufficiently natural that when my eyes drift back up to the original minis, they look a little like weird photoshops or kitbashes.

They work well as masks. Gives them a curious ritualistic air. Like something Minoan-ish or vaguely orientalist like the Brazen Beasts from George RR Martin's books.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1