The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

If I'm bitter about something it's that I absolutely adored the White Lions models, both back when they were a single metal unit, then the 'totally-not-a-White-Lion' prince model released for Lustria and my being toppled out of my seat when the plastics, chariot and special character were revealed. I loved them, both the fluff and the look. They had a more hardy, rugged look (covered in pets naturally leads to that), but maintained the elegance and pristine state of elves.

I would much rather they'd continued down that route than 'Bulls'. I'm usually the first person who's all for more grounded AoS kits and as much as I think the Not!Hammerers look good, I do think they would've been far more interesting as a continuation of the White Lions. Something tells me that one of the designers made a joke about "Haha get it, elves with WARHAMMERS? And the game is Warhammer?" but they got taken way too seriously and none had the heart to stop them before it went too far. An axe isn't really a weapon commonly associated with elves if their thinking was to do something different.

Telling from the video and generally what they have been doing with many of the newly released armies - that’s exactly what they want to achieve. That in a few years, some of us elf fans will at least partly associate awesome oxen mountain spirits and horned helmets with Aelves. And be angry if someone releases new elves without those aspects. 

When they first introduced White Lions wearing pelts and wielding great axes, you could have made the same argument you are stating against them too - there was nothing traditional or inherent elven about either of those. Same with Phoenixes and Dragons. But now so many people love those aspects about the HE. They want to do achieve the same with AoS. Form genuinely new associations. 

• Like 14

I'm loving its not just a carbon copy of the old high elves and its something different.

Plenty of other games have generic elves so let's have something different. I'm excited and curious what they have in store for shadow elves.

High elves are dead. Long live the Lumieneth Realm Lords. 

Edited by Ogregut
Spelling
  • LOVE IT! 1

I expected something crazy but not that kind crazy !  😂 I love the cow but it feels it is in the wrong army, they definetly don't look aelves to me but I still appreciate  the risk taking by GW. I understand why many are disappointed, after all we were promised classic "pointy" aleves with an aos twist.

I personally expected the crazy and original models to be the angelic dudes that GW have been teasing since the release of v2 and it would have been conform with the distinct graciousness  of aleves but this is completely different.

I think GW may have done a mistake with the communication, they should have prepared us more to expect that kind of crazyness via  lore exploration or more accurate hints in previous bts. Also I believe that the "funny"trailer has emphasised  the comical aspect from the helmets and the cows which really  did not help. I am pretty sure it would been better received by the community  if this video had the sacred and poetic  features from the first video. 

On the other hand the quality of the models is exceptional  and I can't wait to see what they ve done for the gargants. 

1 hour ago, Rhetoric said:

The Sons of Behemat better have something to compete with that amazing  Mountain Spirit!!  They are going to be huuuuge

I hope they tower over them. My dream is that they go for an AOS twist on the Game of Thrones Giant. Massively tall with think limbs covered in furs.

48 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I suppose I misunderstood what you were trying to say... 

Your welcome.

@JackStreicher thinks that part of this range using grecoroman and the other part tibetan aesthetic is a mistake and that those styles clash with each other. 

But that's not true because of the other part of that post:

6 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

The army looks incoherent, only held together by the milky color scheme and the somewhat lookalike skirts.

I actually consider it a strength of this design - if unified color scheme can make those two styles work together (and I think it does) then it's a good design.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, michu said:

I actually consider it a strength of this design - if unified color scheme can make those two styles work together (and I think it does) then it's a good design.

That‘s not the case. I can paint old Empire units, dwarves and High Elves with the same color scheme and they‘ll look like they belong together. Yet you can easily see that they‘re too different.

This range is the exact same. The only good units of this faction are the riders and Eltharion (which look like they belong to the same army). The rest is a mess of a incoherent design. 
Yet I do not think GW is really that bad at designing to really make a mistake like that, which is why I expect more Tyrionic models with the Rider and Eltharion style and alternative heads for both archers and spearmen. This way you‘d have a equal core for both sub-cultures.

Though if that is not the case then this design is an objective fail. Yes some might like it, some might not yet that doesn‘t change that it’s technically a bad design of a magnitude GW has never done it across an entire army. It‘d be like Namartii wearing pot-helmets while everyone else wears an almost Corinthian helmet and the king wears a jester‘s cap while the riders atop the Leviadon are using frying pans. - it‘s all European yet it does not work for an army that‘s supposed to look like it belongs together.

Edited by JackStreicher
That autocorrect is killing me
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Man, I can't wait to get these.  Not sure how many mountain spirit cow things I'm getting, but I think it'll be at least 2 (maybe more if they're less pricey like a Gothizzar Harvester, hard to tell exactly how tall they are in the pics).  I just love these mountain dudes.  

Also, I'm thinking Blood Elf colors.  Red, gold and green.  

• Like 4

@JackStreicheryou don't need to try to convince anyone. If you believe that, it's fine . Same with people that hate or love them.

Imo, they are not my cup of tea, but I'm a bit jealous about the mountain avatar. At least, even if they  live in Hysh and being tutored by the Spirit of the mountain himself, they don't know the art of crafting a true Warhammer, but it's understandable... they are still elfs.

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

That‘s not the case. I can paint old Empire units, dwarves and High Elves with the same color scheme and they‘ll look like they belong together. Yet you can easily see that they‘re too different.

This range is the exact same. The only good units of this faction are the riders and Eltharion (which look like they belong to the same army). The rest is a mess of a incoherent design. 
Yet I do not think GW is really that bad at designing to really make a mistake like that, which is why I expect more Tyrionic models with the Rider and Eltharion style and alternative heads for both archers and spearmen. This way you‘d have a equal core for both sub-cultures.

Though if that is not the case then this design is an objective fail. Yes some might like it, some might not yet that doesn‘t change that it’s technically a bad design of a magnitude GW has never done it across an entire army. It‘d be like Namartii wearing pot-helmets while everyone else wears an almost Corinthian helmet and the king wears a jester‘s cap while the riders atop the Leviadon are using frying pans. - it‘s all European yet it does not work for an army that‘s supposed to look like it belongs together.

I’m not sure you know what objective means. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

Considering that The Old Word is going to reappear in the future, I think the GW team did a very good job to release these new aelves, they are different and unique enough to differentiate them from the High Elves of the past. I think the whole mystical, strange aspect of this world of light is reflected in the models. These helmets don't make any sense, but that's what's great about them, they look alien, weird, they look like they belong to another world but still have a certain majestic character.

If these new aelves were too identical or similar to the High Elves of the world that was, it would have been a failure in the design. Still, you have to be able to say "this army doesn't belong to the old world" when you see it. And I hadn't had that impression when I saw the lancers and the horsemen dawnriders, even though the models are excellent. I mean i'm a sucker for the "ancient Greek" aesthetic so i'm biased of course.

For my part, I realize that this army is not for me, we're more in a mystical iconography like Persian empire or Babylonian. What I like in the High Elves of the old world is really the greek side, spartan like, that is to say an elite of warriors that we find in the Akhelians and that reinforces me in my choice to start an army of Idoneth. I was afraid that these newcomers would overshadow them completely but in the end they are quite complementary. They're cool but without stepping on each other either. Plus they don't ride cool sharks or eels, you can keep your cows anytime Lumineths :D

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Sance said:

Considering that The Old Word is going to reappear in the future, I think the GW team did a very good job to release these new aelves, they are different and unique enough to differentiate them from the High Elves of the past. I think the whole mystical, strange aspect of this world of light is reflected in the models. These helmets don't make any sense, but that's what's great about them, they look alien, weird, they look like they belong to another world but still have a certain majestic character.

If these new aelves were too identical or similar to the High Elves of the world that was, it would have been a failure in the design. Still, you have to be able to say "this army doesn't belong to the old world" when you see it. And I hadn't had that impression when I saw the lancers and the horsemen dawnriders, even though the models are excellent. I mean i'm a sucker for the "ancient Greek" aesthetic so i'm biased of course.

For my part, I realize that this army is not for me, we're more in a mystical iconography like Persian empire or Babylonian. What I like in the High Elves of the old world is really the greek side, spartan like, that is to say an elite of warriors that we find in the Akhelians and that reinforces me in my choice to start an army of Idoneth. I was afraid that these newcomers would overshadow them completely but in the end they are quite complementary. They're cool but without stepping on each other either. Plus they don't ride cool sharks or eels, you can keep your cows anytime Lumineths :D

Be careful what you say about their water creatures, there is still the Temple of the River to reveal... lol

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I actually do, I am not sure you do to be honest? The part about design is not based on my opinion or feeling but on Design Theory and teachings. 

Yeah, no. It’s your opinion that the different elements don’t work together, but there’s nothing objective about that. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, Still-young said:

Yeah, no. It’s your opinion that the different elements don’t work together, but there’s nothing objective about that. 

There is: Visual cues, silhouettes etc.

and I‘ll stop right here. Explaining all readings about Design is not what I am here for...

Edited by JackStreicher

4 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

There is: Visual cues, silhouettes etc.

and I‘ll stop right here. Explaining all readings about Design is not what I am here for...

There are plenty of design cues that overlap between the different units that they all work, in my opinion. Hell, the two that you said work, Eltharion and the cavalry, have as much difference between them as any of the new stuff does. Particularly in silhouettes. 

• Like 7

Not to mention that they need to be enough visually different that they are easily distinguishable between each other on the tabletop.

Its a fine line to tread on, that varies for everybody. Too much difference and it can get jarring (break immersion), too little difference and people can have issues telling units apart from each other.