The Rumour Thread

36 minutes ago, michu said:

Looks like internet memes spoiled so many miniature poses. As I don't know  where that "T-pose" meme come from or what does it mean, I see Teclis' pose as partially  "Bask in my glory!" and "Run mortal or feel my wrath". And it's beautifully executed. I think I can see sunlight (or moonlight) coming from behind him.

Standard pose for many 3d models is arms outstretched straight upright (palms down).

If animation fails in a video game, you'll have a character hovering in a T pose.

2 hours ago, michu said:

Looks like internet memes spoiled so many miniature poses. As I don't know  where that "T-pose" meme come from or what does it mean, I see Teclis' pose as partially  "Bask in my glory!" and "Run mortal or feel my wrath". And it's beautifully executed. I think I can see sunlight (or moonlight) coming from behind him.

A T-Pose refers to a pose you model a 3D model in (there's also a Y-Pose). These poses are quite handy for rigging the models later.
So T-Pose means unfinished / unposed since the Model hasn't been animated/posed yet.

@zilberfrid yes, if the animation fails for some reason the Model might return to its default pose, whch usually is the T-Pose.

Edited by JackStreicher

9 hours ago, michu said:

That's interesting. The first thing I thought of when I saw his pose is  Battle of The Finuval Plain, floating above the battle field. This might have been his pose right when struck down Malekith. I really like it. I agree with you. I like that he looks calm and also imposing. 

• Like 1

I genuinely don't understand some of the complaints. The quivers being too big or Teclis's trousers being reminiscent of MC Hammer I can understand but what exactly is it about the faces that is such a problem? Teclis looks like he is sneering to me and the archers look to be frowning in concentration. If anything the painters may have overdone the highlights on the eyebrows a bit. 

The archers are wearing conical helmets which is a fairly typical helmet design for an archer. I don't see the problem with them. 

I understand the criticism of the bows, but I am more interested in the three different upper limbs than the three strings. 

I have seen lots of complaints that these don't work but a quick Google doesn't explain why.

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, novakai said:

except he forgot how to make an epic face and instead looks derpy doing it

Yeah, I think the main problem is that the sculptor gave him an expression at all. As Charlton aptly demonstrates there, the best way to do "epic face" is to have a completely neutral, bored expression.

48 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I understand the criticism of the bows, but I am more interested in the three different upper limbs than the three strings. 

I have seen lots of complaints that these don't work but a quick Google doesn't explain why.

I assumed they were going for something like a leaf spring rather than three separate limbs.

The main "this doesn't work" aspect comes from the fact that the forces are inherently symmetrical - whatever tension you apply to the upper limb of a bow equally applies to the lower limb, so those three strings and their compound leaf-spring arm can only be doing as much work as the one string and its single arm. They're obviously superfluous. If there was a sound practical reason to make three-stringed bows, bowyers would have discovered it centuries ago.

However, I think it's also completely fitting that a human should look at an aelf-bow and go "Wait, why does that... but then... gah, it makes no sense!" It doesn't look right to us because we're thinking in terms of stupid mundane human stuff like "physics" and "engineering". We can't make functional bows that look like that, but they can, because they're aelves.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

I think a big issue with the Lumineth is the paint job. As with the models I think they've taken a lot of inspiration from War of Three Kingdoms and that era of associated mythology, but the tones are too warm for the Lumineth narrative. 

The skin in particular is all wrong. They need to look fae, with much more delicate skin, but these guys are robust yellows and oranges, and that earthiness detracts from the fragility and delicacy of the rest of the aesthetic.

I'm general I dont think the 'Eavy metal approach works with the less chunky armies. The bold colours and big highlights demolish some of the subtlety. Skin in particular often looks flat or ceramic.

Edited by Nos

7 hours ago, Kadeton said:

Yeah, I think the main problem is that the sculptor gave him an expression at all. As Charlton aptly demonstrates there, the best way to do "epic face" is to have a completely neutral, bored expression.

I think this is correct, and the t-pose is just cake icing for some. I’ve seen less savory forums posting this to describe his face expression:

image.png.d7a47a2703a85172b7ffc07bb9bdc6ba.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 1

I can't say I'm surprised, so I guess I'll reiterate: everyone loves calling elves some form of inhuman, until that's actually reflected aesthetically and then it's "this doesn't look right!!"

The other thing is we haven't seen a 360 degree image or even separate angle shots so... wait for those until making final judgement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Agree @CommissarRotke. Furthermore, after I was told what T-pose means, then I must say that critique is invalid. His arms are raised naturally, so it's not a T-pose. And I looked at bigger pictures nad Teclis' face is a normal focused and angry (and slightly disgusted of the mortal weaklings before him) face. People talk about issues that does not exist.

Edited by michu
  • Like 2

Lumineth: the army leaves nobody indifferent. And I think that it is the best thing that GW can do. You can't create some love and hype with bland things forever. I personnaly don't really like this army (...for now). But I admit that I can fancy it in the future. 

Continue this strong design policy GW, pleeeease.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Lumineth: the army leaves nobody indifferent. And I think that it is the best thing that GW can do. You can't create some love and hype with bland things forever. I personnaly don't really like this army (...for now). But I admit that I can fancy it in the future. 

You're right. MtG designer Mark Rosewater often says that a design many like but nobody loves is a failed desing compared to that one which evokes strong emotions.

5 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Don´t forget how many people were upset about the design of the motrek guards and the fact that the models had noses. With the launch suddendly noone complained anymore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ultimately whether a model looks good or bad is totally, 100% subjective. There's no point trying to argue about it or declare things objectively right or wrong. It's purely personal taste and to each their own.

Even stuff like the three strings on the bow... it doesn't matter whether things like that are realistic, for some people it looks silly but for others it looks cool, and ultimately looks are all they're going for. It's not like these bows actually have to function at any point…

I really don't like the look of the Lumineth myself, but I don't see that as something to complain about. It's nice to have less temptation in my hobby life, to be honest! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 1