The Rumour Thread

I have to say I am a bit concerned as to the overall direction this is going. My hope would have been lots of new/ updated models for existing armies this year. Now it’s February and there are already rumors of 2-3 completely new armies. How many of them can be really supported long-term? Especially if they already start working on a new tome cycle and oldworld? There are still so many half-baked armies floating around. Will there be a second cycle of drops in the near future?

• Like 3

TBH, I don't expect seeing more than a hero for existing factions in the future especially if they are sold in a dual armies box. Maybe we'll see something like they did for starmcast (a whole new range/faction) but it will be the exception that confirm the rule. Adding some new units isn't profitable enough in a GW business point of view...

18 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

I have to say I am a bit concerned as to the overall direction this is going. My hope would have been lots of new/ updated models for existing armies this year. Now it’s February and there are already rumors of 2-3 completely new armies. How many of them can be really supported long-term? Especially if they already start working on a new tome cycle and oldworld? There are still so many half-baked armies floating around. Will there be a second cycle of drops in the near future?

Old World is a completely different team to Age of Sigmar. 

47 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

Same here. Disregarding the Old World, there is still plenty of armies that could use more units, more models, and in general padding out the army roster.
The Kharadron release was kinda a fail in my oppinion. It was the perfect chance for them to introduce at least one new model dual kit and two new units to the roster along side the new character they received. All the AoS  exclusive 1.0 armies could use something like that. 2-4 new units to breath some variety to their unit rosters.

And then of course there is the re-releasing of the battletomes in general. I really dont know how they want to fit in more completely new (and most likely again half baked) armies when they have pretty full plate already.

Edited by Myrdin

36 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

Luminark are more of a 'replacement' to the High Elf models/mini-armies that had existed since AoS launch (albeit squat'ed shortly prior to CoS) than a truly new army per say.

I think any new armies we see going forward are likely to be replacements for things like Legions of Nagash and Cities of Sigmar rather than completely new, left-field releases. Essentially they'll be recycling what's already there. Hell, compare the 'Armies of X' list on the website to what it was like a year or so ago, it has been thinned out immensely.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

17 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

TBH, I don't expect seeing more than a hero for existing factions in the future especially if they are sold in a dual armies box. Maybe we'll see something like they did for starmcast (a whole new range/faction) but it will be the exception that confirm the rule. Adding some new units isn't profitable enough in a GW business point of view...

Maybe that only completely new armies sell like sliced bread, although this is only a short-term business model that cannot be sustained long-term. But, speaking of myself, the main reason I’m not looking into getting in with, say, Skaven or Idoneth is that the former still have those mandatory old hamsters, and the latter still have low model variety. Quite sure whole lines would sell much better with a relatively small investment. But I may be wrong.

2 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Skaven have soooo many things in plastic that are amazing. Don't hesitate, try them!

But I agree about ID, which are like so many recent release (OBR, Ironjawz, Sylvaneth etc...): too few entries.

Skaven do, and it’s a shame, but every time I’m building a test list I end up looking at either building 60 oldish battleline hamsters that I don’t like, or converting dozens of acolytes almost from scratch, just to be able to field the really nice models. One less customer. And I may not be alone with that.

59 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

Skaven do, and it’s a shame, but every time I’m building a test list I end up looking at either building 60 oldish battleline hamsters that I don’t like, or converting dozens of acolytes almost from scratch, just to be able to field the really nice models. One less customer. And I may not be alone with that.

Acolyte: use the monk hamsters and add a cheap ball in their hand, done and good looking. I didn't do it myself (yet) but I've read that it is a cheap elegant solution.

You are right about the battleline but the other stuff are great (things in the SC!, stormfiends, tanquol, lords etc...)

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

Skaven have soooo many things in plastic that are amazing. Don't hesitate, try them!

Yes, we have soo many good looking plastic miniatures.

Throw out all the old resin/ failcast models, and anything that doesn’t look like a decent rat, and we would be at a line where only the clans Verminus, the masterclan and a few skryre stuff would be left standing.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

4 minutes ago, novakai said:

It could be Lumineath but since the release is coming soon I feel like the Rumor engine window would tease something further out in the future 

They recently showed the headdress thing from the spearmen a week or two before they revealed the models. The timescale from rumour engine to reveal is pretty variable. 

2 minutes ago, Still-young said:

They recently showed the headdress thing from the spearmen a week or two before they revealed the models. The timescale from rumour engine to reveal is pretty variable. 

Yeah but normally it quite a time period between the engine and release.

the headdress was more of the exception since it was promoting LVO

8 minutes ago, novakai said:

Yeah but normally it quite a time period between the engine and release.

the headdress was more of the exception since it was promoting LVO

Not really. There was no mention of it being any different to a normal rumour engine. 

The tree here matches the ones on Teclis’s base. 

Plus we’re probably a couple of months out from release. Might still be a few weeks before we see it. 

Edited by Still-young

1 minute ago, Still-young said:

Not really. There was no mention of it being any different to a normal rumour engine. 

The tree here matches the ones on Teclis’s base. 

Would they really tease another tree rumor engine again for the same army again and make it that obvious?

that probably where my skepticism lies

34 minutes ago, novakai said:

Would they really tease another tree rumor engine again for the same army again and make it that obvious?

They used the helmet plumes on the rumor engine days before it was revealed. I still belive the stone moon is a staff option for Lumineth "montain" wizard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, novakai said:

Why not?

At this point we know Lumineth exist, but they can still use rumor engines to tease models that haven't been revealed yet.