The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

I eventually want to do an army from each of the factions, and honestly I would love to get a plastic version of the Legion of Azgorh.   As long as their tied to Forge World though they'll be beyond my price range.

I hear that, the next best thing I can think of is converting fyreslayers and KO models.

14 hours ago, TheR00zle said:

Much as I’d love to make jokes about the possible Slaaneshi upgrade kit(probably some Daemonettes “playing” with each head) I’m going to suggest the possibility of plastic chaos dwarfs once again. Wrath of the Everchosen gave us some lore hints that the OBR killed more then a few “corrupted duardin” kingdoms before attacking Eightpoints 3B74C878-C13C-448A-88E5-4664BB4AA23D.jpeg.6a914b1e7cd514ae22bbe2cc9b4ec1cf.jpeg

plus the recent S2D battletome mentioned that certain chaos warriors and lords get rune covered armour from the “Furnace Kings of Azgorh” who were mentioned all the way back in the Realmgate Wars! Finally we have the Spire Tyrants and Iron Golems warbands from Warcry, both having a(from what I’ve seen) beloved plastic chaos dwarf.7D078EDD-399F-4C76-9F52-C0E7C3AEB111.jpeg.59a9121a473af09505494c9060a010be.jpegEF360B13-C943-4D7E-96DB-31CAB9C7BBEB.jpeg.ef69deabd4eadc6b2d9b525cd032e6d5.jpeg
of course, I could be looking too much into simple fan pandering and callbacks from GW lore writers and modelers, but one of the things that got me into the hobby(besides the cyborgs of the mechanics in 40k) was the awesome idea of magic using dwarves who worshipped an evil Bull and built actual murder trains.

There are multiple ways to read corrupted there though. Could mean corrupted as in chaos, could mean, could mean corrupted as a value judgement or in relation to greed, given that the piece is written from the perspective of the Ossiarchs. Certainly the reference to a "tainted empire" which is the context in which the phrase is mentioned, would suggest that. The differentiation between Chaos specifically and then Duardin would suggest it was just an adjective rather than a noun. My guess would be the narrator intended to say that the Duardin Kingdoms referenced were influenced by the elemental presence of Chaos and generally messed up, but not actual Chaos worshippers.

• Like 1

The thing is: can they keep just adding new factions? I think after a while it would be too inflated to be balance-able.

This cycle took them 25 months to update all armies, either they start dropping/skipping some or every new version will take longer. In that case let’s hope changes between versions are not too big...

2 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

The thing is: can they keep just adding new factions? I think after a while it would be too inflated to be balance-able.

This cycle took them 25 months to update all armies, either they start dropping/skipping some or every new version will take longer. In that case let’s hope changes between versions are not too big...

I think the game as a whole is in a generally good place.  I'm hoping when 3.0 does come out there wont be sweeping changes and all the 2.0 battletomes will be up to par. 

32 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

How do the oldest 2.0 battletomes hold up compared to the latest?    

Are any elements now common place, but missing from the earliest books like Maggotkin of Nurgle book, for example?  Are any 2.0 books in need of review?

My theory is that, if 2020 sees 40k 9th.  2021 could see AOS 3rd, and then Old World in 2022.   If this happens, id like to see another series similar to Psychic Awakening prior to AOS 3.  But what can we expect in the meantime beyond pointy elves and giants? 

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

Are any elements now common place, but missing from the earliest books like Maggotkin of Nurgle book, for example?  Are any 2.0 books in need of review?

My theory is that, if 2020 sees 40k 9th.  2021 could see AOS 3rd, and then Old World in 2022.   If this happens, id like to see another series similar to Psychic Awakening prior to AOS 3.  But what can we expect in the meantime beyond pointy elves and giants? 

In every version certain Battletomes fair better than others and there are few “1.9” like Nurgle and LoN that suffer a bit. 
But since the upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0 was not that massive we could potentially see a much greater change in the next version once they understood which rules need to be modified. Either way chances are any change may require new updated tomes and while the last 2 years accustomed us with a great throughout of paper, we should not get used to it as WHFB was much slower in comparison.

Adepticon could give us the first hint of what comes next, so far we only know about the Lumineth, a name with no other context like the Sons of Behemath and not much more... so anything can happen!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

These "2.0" tomes NEED to be external balancing to compete with the rest of 2.0: Nighthaunt, Stormcast Eternals, Sylvaneth, Beasts of Chaos.

Idoneth Deepkin could use a fair bit of internal balancing as they basically are down to one list that is competitive and the rest of the book is a joke. Similarly Gloomspite could use a rebalancing.

Nurgle really needs a 2.0 book, that "ready for 2.0" was clearly wrong.

Legions of Nagash needs a massive cleanup and balancing if they don't intend on removing it due to soup-ness.

After all that, if Tzeentch gets properly looked at, the remainder of the 2.0 tomes can hold their own.

Edited by SleeperAgent
  • Like 2

Daughters of Khaine are still doing really well and they were an early Battletome. Most of the differences are minor things like "fully within" becoming the normal for auras as opposed to "within" since the former means that units have to all stay within a bubble, whilst the latter allowed you to keep one model in range, then string out the rest of the unit into a line and still benefit (which was not the intention). 

I don't expect to see any new Battletomes for armies now unless one of two things happens:

1) GW releases AoS 3.0.

2) GW releases a very large block of new models for an army. Ergo 5 or more models to add to the army. This might also not spark a new Tome and could be added with a simple expansion booklet. 

Basically unless armies are getting a big change I'd expect rules updates on cards/inexpansion books etc... rather than as a wholly new tome every time. 

Most of the rest of the updates can be done through the Generals Handbook as its tweaking rather than wholesale re-writing. It might be if one tome gets a lot of tweaks over time we might see a new edition released, but that's hard to predict. Also some of the underpowered might be fixed by adjusting power of the overpowered as well - eg pushing daughters, slaanesh, tzeentch etc... down a little. Sometimes the overpowered is just one element (eg see Ossiarchs and the Petrifax army). 

We also don't know what GW will do for 3.0. They could wholesale change things up; or they might make it more a collation of expansion rules and updated content and refine what they've got. The benefit there is that it would work well with existing tomes, but also mean that the game isnt' throwing away all the 2.0 balancing adjustments and material built up. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nos said:

There are multiple ways to read corrupted there though. Could mean corrupted as in chaos, could mean, could mean corrupted as a value judgement or in relation to greed, given that the piece is written from the perspective of the Ossiarchs. Certainly the reference to a "tainted empire" which is the context in which the phrase is mentioned, would suggest that. The differentiation between Chaos specifically and then Duardin would suggest it was just an adjective rather than a noun. My guess would be the narrator intended to say that the Duardin Kingdoms referenced were influenced by the elemental presence of Chaos and generally messed up, but not actual Chaos worshippers.

That's true. There's similar cases like the Fyreslayer lodge that took chaos ur-gold to destroy the Lantic Empire's gilded walls, a duardin in "The Red Hour" who fell to the temptations of Slaanesh despite being a fervent worshiper of the 6 smiths of Azyr and even undead examples as the latest Flesh-eater court battletome told of a duardin clan that was infected by their madness.

The chaos duardin can be any form of chaos worship just as the vastness of the Mortal Realms has given us non-chaos daemons like the golden peace one of Kheitar("Shiprats") or the underwater daemon empire free of the dark gods ("Court of the Blind King").

All that should be taken is they've been a invaluable war industry for chaos since the Realmgate wars when the Furnace kings created the Dreadforts to the current campaign as Katakros targets them to stop Archaon's forces from being armed properly.

As is the Iron Golems are a better bet to expand on since they're integral to the current chaos war industry by producing arms in Chamon by using captured sun dragons for forges but I wouldn't be surprised at Furnace kings being a brand new spin on things as is the nature of AoS.

• Like 2

If you read the expansion of fyreslayer on White Dwarf

There was a very clear hint about an ancient runeson of Vostarg got tempted by “father of darkness” (aka Hashut) and fell into chaos.

It also seems that the salamander spine, aka the homeland of all fyreslayers, is now under control of worshippers of hashut.

Edited by Whitefang
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

If you read the expansion of fyreslayer on White Dwarf

There was a very clear hint about an ancient runeson of Vostarg got tempted by “father of darkness” (aka Hashut) and fell into chaos.

It also seems that the salamander spine, aka the homeland of all fyreslayers, is now under control of worshippers of hashut.

In my memory that felt more like a small nod to older players than anything 'substantial'. But that's the big advantage of the mortal realms vs. the old world which was pretty much set in stone. That small piece of trivia can easily be expanded into a full fledged faction. 

• Like 2

Just now, Kramer said:

In my memory that felt more like a small nod to older players than anything 'substantial'. But that's the big advantage of the mortal realms vs. the old world which was pretty much set in stone. That small piece of trivia can easily be expanded into a full fledged faction. 

Since the rune father of Vostarg is planning a crusade to take back salamander spine, this sounds like a hidden plot to be revealed later to me. This doesn’t mean we will get proper chaos dwarf any time soon though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Overread said:

Most of the rest of the updates can be done through the Generals Handbook as its tweaking rather than wholesale re-writing. 

Actually I think it would be cool if the GHB spend more time on rewriting warscrolls thats clearly not seeing any use, typically due to being weak or pointless.

After I read the GHB 19 I figures that besides the point updates and matched play battleplans the book has no more interessting stuff for my group.
Sure there are some cool tools if you feel like doing narrative games, but even then we now have 3-4 years of GHBs filled to the brim with inspiration, funny houserules and battlemodes, if a player still need inspiration, chances are he/she probably shouldn’t play Narrative games.😉 So what can the next GHB really offer? Siege? Air combat? Rules of Engagement? all have been done and might prove fun for a while but to my experience these are all one trick ponies.🐴

More Matched play plans? We already have 18 or so to play, some might need a bit of tweaking but no extra tables or need to drag along yet another book just in case you have to play a bunch of new plans.

Sure the world of players and oppinions might prove to be a bit broader than myself and my group of non competitive but matchplayerfriendly nerds, but man it would be awesome if the next GHB was nothing but tweaked warscrolls, points and tweaked rules for various ponymodes. 

Sincerly ‘yet another, forgotten by time’ Nighthaunt Player.

Edited by Greasygeek
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

Actually I think it would be cool if the GHB spend more time on rewriting warscrolls thats clearly not seeing any use, typically due to being weak or pointless.

Sure the world of players and oppinions might prove to be a bit broader than myself and my group of non competitive but matchplayerfriendly nerds, but man it would be awesome if the next GHB was nothing but tweaked warscrolls, points and tweaked rules for various ponymodes. 

Would love that... except for my experience with KO. It such a horrible entry point into a new army if too many rules have changed in a book. It not only feels like a waste of money to get the book but it ends up as an administration game which just isn't fun to me. 

On the other hand, my only complaint about the Ogor Mawtribes tome is that the Thundertusk has no role, not even if you want to play pure BCR. Make it a effective priest, then it's a choice between a wizard and the huskard. Make it a horde clearing monster, then it has a separate role. No matter the points drop it's not going to help much. 

39 minutes ago, novakai said:

They could release AoS psychic awakening would be my bet for updating army books without new tomes releases that probably ties them until 2021 for  AoS 3.0

I believe this is what the new Everchosen campaign series will soon become

Edited by mikethefish

1 hour ago, Greasygeek said:

After I read the GHB 19 I figures that besides the point updates and matched play battleplans the book has no more interessting stuff for my group.
Sure there are some cool tools if you feel like doing narrative games, but even then we now have 3-4 years of GHBs filled to the brim with inspiration, funny houserules and battlemodes, if a player still need inspiration, chances are he/she probably shouldn’t play Narrative games.😉 So what can the next GHB really offer? Siege? Air combat? Rules of Engagement? all have been done and might prove fun for a while but to my experience these are all one trick ponies.🐴

I disagree. Strongly. It's like saying that DnD doesn't need new sourcebooks, because players and GMs could make everything by themselves. Of course you can make your own rules for sieges and aerial battles but GW makes it easier providing base to build upon. You think they are one trick ponies? Then change something. Thanks to GW you don't have to invent everything from scratch - you just maybe need to add some small houserules and new scenarios. And that particular sentence " if a player still need inspiration, chances are he/she probably shouldn’t play Narrative games" is just wrong. There's nothing wrong with looking for inspiration and even experienced gamers need something to spark their imagination. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, novakai said:

They could release AoS psychic awakening would be my bet for updating army books without new tomes releases that probably ties them until 2021 for  AoS 3.0

I'd expect AoS 3.0 to be further off than 2021. It just seems a bit close considering its 2020 and we are only just getting all armies to 2.0. Furthermore don't forget there's at least 3 new armies as yet unreleased for AoS that we know of. 

Luminoth, Giants and Shadow Aelves. 

Ontop of that we can make the bold, but pretty reliable assumption that there will be at least a Vampire Battletome for Death and perhaps one more Destruction army as well. 

So that's at least 5 new armies to release. It would make sense from GW's point of view to keep things on 2.0 and try and get the game to a state where a move to 3.0 happens and is an update to all armies without GW having plans to add many if any more. AoS does, at some point, have to stop going sideways with adding more armies and focus on going lengthways and increase the variety within each army. 

• Like 1

It's going to be interesting to see what happens once the psychic awakening series of books are complete. Will the each codex get a 1.5 update with the new rules?

AoS could see something similar with the campaign books.

Or maybe the general's handbook this year will see armies get a couple of new warscrolls each or updated ones.

• Like 2