The Rumour Thread

12 hours ago, dekay said:

Not entirely correct. Malal had a portrait and description in Warhammer Fantasy Role Play rulebook, right next to Nurgle and Khorne (Tzeentch and Slaanesh weren't in, yet ;)) That makes it semi canon at least. Keep in mind, it was a rulebook where grim reaper was a greater demon of Khorne and gods of Law were still a thing. 

I do remember that actually now you come to mention it - do you remember the avatars introduced in the second compendium?

In the end it was always Wagner and Grant's IP which stopped it from going any further.  The WFRP came out in '86 iirc which was a year before third edition fantasy ('87), with the Realm of chaos Slaves to Darkness book was released  in '88 with rules so that you could run a chaos champion in wfrp. 

5 hours ago, Overread said:

Chaos Gods are on the tables all the time.

They're not just on the tables all the time.... they're also always in our hearts! ❤️💙💚💜

Edit: The Lion looks more and more like Michael Biehn on that pic.

Edited by MitGas
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Overread said:

Chaos Gods are on the tables all the time. It's just that they are on fragments of themselves through demons and greater demons. The Greater Demons basically are demi-gods (their powers range depending on the demon of course). If the actual Chaos Gods walked onto a battlefield it would be game over - they are insanely powerful. Don't forget it took almost all the Aelven Gods to Entrap Slaanesh. That was just trapping Slaanesh, they didn't even have a chance at killing. 

Think of it that the Chaos Gods are simply a whole level above the regular AoS gods, even powerful ones like Nagash pale in comparison. Furthermore almost all the Mortal Realm gods were once regular living creatures. Basically mortals or super long life aelves and such. 

I'd say its not so much a case that they are on a higher level. Both the Gods of Order and the greater daemons are pieces on the board, subject to things like rules and dice rolls. The chaos gods are more of a step above the players. If one were to manifest in all of its power they wouldn't just be powerful enough to win the game by strength of stats, or high point cost. They would win the game by tipping over the board and stamping on the pieces. (And the battlefield would pretty much be sucked into the realm of chaos, and become a part of their playground).

Edited by EccentricCircle
  • Like 1

It's from the Black Library weekly email along with a blurb saying that the coming soon from Black Library webpage has been updated to include releases up to May (it hadn't actually been updated when i least checked).

So if it is a Sons of Behemat tie in novel there is a potential release window tease right there.

• Like 1

Also don't know if you guys have seen this or not. Seems the Sons of Behemat are going to be potentially using the existing gargant models with a new hero, possibly this King Brodd.

Could be they get a new wave of models but with this in mind, doesn't seem likely to me, being that this dude apparently leads gargants from the "Sprawl", which is all but confirmed to be the ale-guzzling gargants of the Scabrous Scrawl. Seems to me they're probably gonna do an army of the current gargants led by King Brodd.

Edit: hopefully the pic is easier to read now. The original picture indicated the rumour engine of that massive giant weapon could be this pillar Brodd uses.

Screenshot_20200202-060439_Gallery.jpg

received_1652338591573978.jpeg

Screenshot_20200202-060708_Gallery.jpg

Edited by TheShogun
Clarity
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Ah thanks! Interesting that the Wurmspat have that keyword specifically. Wonder if that means they can only be fielded under that sub-faction? I don't entirely know the rules when it comes to keywords but it seems strange that they're tied to one and not the Drowned Men too, for example.

I might be mistaken but I’m pretty sure that where they can most of the Underworlds warbands have specific sub-faction keywords.

Hrothgorn - Winterbite

Grymwatch - Hollowmourne

Eyes of the Nine - Cult of the Transient Form

Ylthari’s Guardians - Oakenbrow

etc etc etc

You can still take them in a relevant army  but some of the army wide abilities might not effect them.

5 minutes ago, JPjr said:

I might be mistaken but I’m pretty sure that where they can most of the Underworlds warbands have specific sub-faction keywords.

Hrothgorn - Winterbite

Grymwatch - Hollowmourne

Eyes of the Nine - Cult of the Transient Form

Ylthari’s Guardians - Oakenbrow

etc etc etc

You can still take them in a relevant army  but some of the army wide abilities might not effect them.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Makes sense and sort of potentially confirms the idea that GW see Wrath of the Everchosen as a mini-update for the Maggotkin tome, especially since they got 4 sub-faction, Slaanesh got 3 and Khorne and Tzeench got 2 (from memory). 

31 minutes ago, TheShogun said:

Seems to me they're probably gonna do an army of the current gargants led by King Brodd.

You might be totally right and this in no way meant to disagree with you but I'm not sure that many would like to collect an army consisting of only two kits (even if the hero/king is a multipart kit and could be build into different stuff). If they want to make this feel like a somehwat proper army, then they should have at least 2 multipart kits (one named character + hero and one multipart elite/battletline) next to the old gargant I think. Cause else the whole army would look too much alike, the old gargant's legs/stance are too similar. 

Or they add Beasts of Chaos stuff like Cygors. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MitGas said:

You might be totally right and this in no way meant to disagree with you but I'm not sure that many would like to collect an army consisting of only two kits (even if the hero/king is a multipart kit and could be build into different stuff). If they want to make this feel like a somehwat proper army, then they should have at least 2 multipart kits (one named character + hero and one multipart elite/battletline) next to the old gargant I think. Cause else the whole army would look too much alike, the old gargant's legs/stance are too similar. 

Or they add Beasts of Chaos stuff like Cygors. 

I totally agree that they should do something like that. I'm not sure it'll be Beasts of Chaos specifically since in that lore piece, King Brodd is seeking revenge on the Beasts of Chaos, but a new elite unit to go with the hero could be great. The potential of a multipart hero kit, as you said, seems most likely to me. Being able to build him as King Brodd and then as an elite model sounds like a cheap way for GW to sell essentially two kits in an army. Something like the Pusgoyle Blightlords for Maggotkin comes to mind, but it's really just a guess.

But yeah an entire tome and army dedicated to one/two units and a hero seems very bizarre, even if the gargants are high points. So I'm interested to see if my suspicions are right or if GW will be sensible and expand the faction to at least have some interesting options.

On 1/31/2020 at 2:20 PM, HollowHills said:

The only thing that makes me question 40k getting a new edition is the fact that the space marine codex is so new. I'd have thought if they were going to do a new edition it would come with a load of new marine models, new marine starter set and a new marine book. 

I still think they will announce 9th Ed 40k at Adepticon though and do the aos 2.0 style thing where the codices are kept in use. 

I don't really care though to be honest. It's hard to be into 40k when everything they release is so relentlessly focused on marines. Plus pretty much every decent army list is soupy as ****** and includes over priced forge world nonsense. 

In aos they do a good job of focusing on all the factions evenly and making sure you can run thematically coherent armies and still do well. 

There was a leaked photo from a couple of weeks back with even more new marine models (grav bikes and something else I don’t remember) so they’re far from done with the flood of marines.

27 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

I really hope this is a proper army with a battletome rather than something smaller, as that possibility has once again reared it's ugly head. Then again, I am unsure how the Imperial Knight codex is comparable to other 40K codexes so GW might just follow the same pattern here.

Its the same essentially but just with fewer model options.

so it’ll have the same as any other battletome with traits, artefacts etc.

hopefully bag loads of fluff :)

• Like 1