The Rumour Thread

The only thing that makes me question 40k getting a new edition is the fact that the space marine codex is so new. I'd have thought if they were going to do a new edition it would come with a load of new marine models, new marine starter set and a new marine book. 

I still think they will announce 9th Ed 40k at Adepticon though and do the aos 2.0 style thing where the codices are kept in use. 

I don't really care though to be honest. It's hard to be into 40k when everything they release is so relentlessly focused on marines. Plus pretty much every decent army list is soupy as ****** and includes over priced forge world nonsense. 

In aos they do a good job of focusing on all the factions evenly and making sure you can run thematically coherent armies and still do well. 

• Like 3

I really hope AoS does well with the anti-soup approach and that GW decides to add taht to 40K. It's baffling that right now most "armies" are several armies combined even if you stick to one single race. Your close combat want to be the close combat variation; your ranged the ranged etc.... It's kinda mad. I'm really glad that its something AoS has not attempted to emulate and even where it does, it focuses more on the idea of having whole difference races and factions and where th GA rules are not "as good" as pure armies. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Overread said:

I really hope AoS does well with the anti-soup approach and that GW decides to add taht to 40K. It's baffling that right now most "armies" are several armies combined even if you stick to one single race. Your close combat want to be the close combat variation; your ranged the ranged etc.... It's kinda mad. I'm really glad that its something AoS has not attempted to emulate and even where it does, it focuses more on the idea of having whole difference races and factions and where th GA rules are not "as good" as pure armies. 

I like the middle of the road from Cities of Sigmar 1 in 4 flavour faction (sylvaneth, stormcast, KO)

Gives a cool mix with flavor.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

Really agree. Soup and combined arms forces can be really fluffy and fun, but I much prefer having a strong, thematic faction as the norm.

I do think though we will start seeing lots of narrative flavored fluff books, with new allegiance abilities though. Gordraks great Waagh providing a way too play most of destruction together. Maybe an updated LoN book too pick and pluck from more of the alliance. Maybe more cities that fold even more factions into the fold with one another. Wrath of the Everchosen seems the first of many of the style of book.

19 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

I like the middle of the road from Cities of Sigmar 1 in 4 flavour faction (sylvaneth, stormcast, KO)

And, most importantly, those Sylvaneth and Kharadrons get CoS keywords and abilities, with no option to keep their own. The worst thing in 40k version is that you can mix and match 'allegiances' as well. Even within a single faction, as long as you take required unit compositions. Basically, Imagine CoS, only you take greywater artillery company for extra shots, infiltrate a living city dragon, but rest of your army is hallowheart. And your allied Sylvaneth get their wyldwoods and summoning as normal. Things are insane. :D

• Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

20 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

I really like the cities of Sigmar 1 in 4 (and Barak Thryng) approach. I kind of feel that they should look into a mix of that and Skaven for stormcast.

Allow an all stormcast option, with weaker alliegence abilities for people who want to run whatever they want, but allow more specific alliegence if you want it.

For example allow SCE warrior chamber, with more powerful alliegence abilities as long as 3 out of 4 of your SCE are warrior chamber.

You could even have a Ssyleske style one, where at least 1 in 4 is Warrior, 1 in 4 is Vanguard, 1 in 4 is Sacrosanct etc. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ArmyOfGrodd said:

These are what I wanted to make my Khorne daemon prince from but I haven’t found any singles on any third party sites :(

It’s a gamble of course. But you’re probably not the only one looking for them. So if you get them... you get the choice of daemon and then sell the other two. 

26 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

I do think though we will start seeing lots of narrative flavored fluff books, with new allegiance abilities though. Gordraks great Waagh providing a way too play most of destruction together. Maybe an updated LoN book too pick and pluck from more of the alliance. Maybe more cities that fold even more factions into the fold with one another. Wrath of the Everchosen seems the first of many of the style of book.

Honestly, I'm all for that.

To be clear, I agree that tighter, thematic factions are absolutely the cleanest and best way to go, but creating systems that support mixing and matching within the grand alliances is an option I would be very happy to have, should I ever have a yen to try something unusual.

Options are always a good thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kramer said:

It’s a gamble of course. But you’re probably not the only one looking for them. So if you get them... you get the choice of daemon and then sell the other two. 

Yeah I’ve been thinking recent that’s the way I’ll need to go. There’s a lot of other pieces I need before I get to the DP. Hopefully by that point I’ll be confident in doing a decent conversion.

7 minutes ago, ArmyOfGrodd said:

Yeah I’ve been thinking recent that’s the way I’ll need to go. There’s a lot of other pieces I need before I get to the DP. Hopefully by that point I’ll be confident in doing a decent conversion.

Different reason but I’m doing the same. First the troops. But then I’ll reward myself with the daemon Prince. 

On 1/30/2020 at 10:18 PM, Overread said:

Skaven have always been Chaos even way back in the Old World. They are just related to Chaos differently and don't fit with the core four gods system. It's not out of the question for them to be a bit "oddball" within a grand alliance. Flesheaters are not bound to Nagash and he mostly only tries to push them in the right direction and hope they cause damage. Meanwhile Order is full of factions that are not running along happy holding hands with stormcast and sigmar. Heck the Idoneth actively raid other races for souls.

Yup.

their very first scenario appearance was in the revenge of the lichmaster and initially the model line was “chaos ratmen”

15 hours ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

At the risk of deviating the thread further.... Personally, I feel like Skaven need a slight tweak in lore so that the Horned Rat replaces Malal - that utter, unpredictable, mess everyones plans up kinda Chaos. They have the back-stabby vibes already.

14 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I didn’t know that malal made it into the aos universe.

always thought he was one of those 40k gods 

14 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Malal doesn't exist within the canon anymore and hasn't due to some time because of copyright reasons

Malal.

he was never canon.

Malal was a chaos god created by the comic writing duo Wagner and Grant for the citadel compendium cartoon strip Kaleb Daark.

There were some models created off the back of it, namely er... Kaleb Daark and also jake and hellwood the chaos brothers.

Kaleb Daark begins in the old world city of praag which was being attacked by the armies of the blood god.

Daark was described as a warrior of “chaos but not of chaos” and the will of malal pitches him against the forces of chaos- so in reality he was the chaos god’s anti chaos god on the face of it. 

They never made it past the compendiums as the copyright for the strip was owned by Wagner and Grant and not gw/citadel.

somwhere in the mix, a few bits of extended lore touched on other chaos powers and mentioned malice, which people took to be Malal.

Now, the important thing here is that comic strip gave us an iconic livery which has made its way into the heart of us gamers in a way that John Wagner and Alan Grant could never have imagined.

just remember beardlings... dreadaxe thirsts for you :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

44 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Malal.

he was never canon.

Malal was a chaos god created by the comic writing duo Wagner and Grant for the citadel compendium cartoon strip Kaleb Daark.

There were some models created off the back of it, namely er... Kaleb Daark and also jake and hellwood the chaos brothers.

Kaleb Daark begins in the old world city of praag which was being attacked by the armies of the blood god.

Daark was described as a warrior of “chaos but not of chaos” and the will of malal pitches him against the forces of chaos- so in reality he was the chaos god’s anti chaos god on the face of it. 

They never made it past the compendiums as the copyright for the strip was owned by Wagner and Grant and not gw/citadel.

somwhere in the mix, a few bits of extended lore touched on other chaos powers and mentioned malice, which people took to be Malal.

Now, the important thing here is that comic strip gave us an iconic livery which has made its way into the heart of us gamers in a way that John Wagner and Alan Grant could never have imagined.

just remember beardlings... dreadaxe thirsts for you :)

Well, you'd certainly know with that user name! For ages I've been toying with the idea of making an army for the other gods of chaos, including Malal, Necoho and Zuvassin ( I already have the Hasutites!)

1 hour ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Malal.

he was never canon.

Not entirely correct. Malal had a portrait and description in Warhammer Fantasy Role Play rulebook, right next to Nurgle and Khorne (Tzeentch and Slaanesh weren't in, yet ;)) That makes it semi canon at least. Keep in mind, it was a rulebook where grim reaper was a greater demon of Khorne and gods of Law were still a thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm very interested in this "To Free a God" section of the new Wrath of the Everchosen book. I long to see actual chaos god models on the table. I'd accept it even if its for narrative only. I know it won't be soon, but I would love to see Slaanesh be freed in the lore and then get a Slaanesh model.

Why should only Order and Death get their gods? (Alarielle, Nagash, now Teclis and probably Tyrion)

Edited by SleeperAgent

1 hour ago, SleeperAgent said:

Why should only Order and Death get their gods? (Alarielle, Nagash, now Teclis and probably Tyrion)

Because the chaos gods are much stronger than the "normal" gods, so if they ever appear as a kind of model it could only be a tiny fraction of a shard of them which we already kind of have with the greater demon models

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chaos Gods are on the tables all the time. It's just that they are on fragments of themselves through demons and greater demons. The Greater Demons basically are demi-gods (their powers range depending on the demon of course). If the actual Chaos Gods walked onto a battlefield it would be game over - they are insanely powerful. Don't forget it took almost all the Aelven Gods to Entrap Slaanesh. That was just trapping Slaanesh, they didn't even have a chance at killing. 

Think of it that the Chaos Gods are simply a whole level above the regular AoS gods, even powerful ones like Nagash pale in comparison. Furthermore almost all the Mortal Realm gods were once regular living creatures. Basically mortals or super long life aelves and such. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SleeperAgent said:

If I'm remembering right every daemon is like a fragment of their respective god so Chaos kind of already does, that said there's probably some lore reason why they can't materialise fully in the mortal realms. A Gorkamorka model/s would be absolutely badass and I would buy that in an instant.

37 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

If I'm remembering right every daemon is like a fragment of their respective god so Chaos kind of already does, that said there's probably some lore reason why they can't materialise fully in the mortal realms. A Gorkamorka model/s would be absolutely badass and I would buy that in an instant.

There may be lore why they can't enter the mortal realms, but that's just begging for the chaos gods to find a way to circumvent that but at a cost. Like they actually become mortal in a way.

Anything to see the perfection that is Slaanesh on the table. :D

• Like 1