The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Didn't this just get FAQ'd off the StD Deamon Prince? 🤨

bf3c5b6e.jpg

This is a bit different. It's a single wound instead of d3 and it's an aura instead of a command ability. Also on a wound roll instead of hit, so triggers less often. 

I play slaves, khorne, nurgle, tzeentch and slaanesh and honestly none of the previewed rules excited me. I'm hoping that the rest of the rules will make them a bit more interesting, but I find it hard to believe that, in an article that's supposed to build excitement, they somehow managed to pick out the least exciting rules from every single sub faction. A pretty big bummer that they glazed over the combined daemon allegiance and the best thing they could come up with was to buy 700 dollars of models that have absolutely no synergy with eachother whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Didn't this just get FAQ'd off the StD Deamon Prince? 🤨

bf3c5b6e.jpg

Its was d3 mortals and could stack but this would have been a much more reasonable fix then what they did. The cynical side of me says this will get errata'd too once the game designers realize this is both good and a Nurgle ability.

6 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

I play slaves, khorne, nurgle, tzeentch and slaanesh and honestly none of the previewed rules excited me. I'm hoping that the rest of the rules will make them a bit more interesting, but I find it hard to believe that, in an article that's supposed to build excitement, they somehow managed to pick out the least exciting rules from every single sub faction. A pretty big bummer that they glazed over the combined daemon allegiance and the best thing they could come up with was to buy 700 dollars of models that have absolutely no synergy with eachother whatsoever.

StD and Tzeentch here (and skaven that have been zapped from this "all players of chaos "book). Same as you. Not particularly enthusiast except maybe for the varanguard thing and....that's it. For (half)fun (or half competitive), I hoped that we could eventually , for example, put a heavy hitter greater daemon in a tzentch army (which one? khorne one? or slanesh one?) just because I like the big guys but I don't want to start a new army. Same for StD to add those big minis.

I'll wait until the full scope, but the hype has lowered a bit. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

I play all except Slaanesh and I'm excited for Nurgle, if only because its a super low bar considering Maggotkin's current competitiveness and lack of subfactions. The Drowned Men are looking pretty poor due to anti-synergy between its subfaction ability and command ability but hey, Blightkings are probably the best warscroll in the book now and doing a mortal wound when they die on a 2+ makes them better than they were. I'm paranoid the Munificient Wanderer's command trait will get nerfed but if it doesn't then Tallyband might be usable depending on the rest of the subfaction.

16 minutes ago, HarbingerGaming said:

Baleful Lords might be a hot contender for the faction of choice when running Tyrants of Blood. Have to see the rest of the faction of course!

Could be yeah, but then you're losing out on either attacking twice with those bloodthirsters or attacking first with the whole battalion and having one thirster with a constant +4 speed bonus. We'll see what the rest of the rules are I guess.

8 minutes ago, Forrix said:

I play all except Slaanesh and I'm excited for Nurgle, if only because its a super low bar considering Maggotkin's current competitiveness and lack of subfactions. The Drowned Men are looking pretty poor due to anti-synergy between its subfaction ability and command ability but hey, Blightkings are probably the best warscroll in the book now and doing a mortal wound when they die on a 2+ makes them better than they were. I'm paranoid the Munificient Wanderer's command trait will get nerfed but if it doesn't then Tallyband might be usable depending on the rest of the subfaction.

Yeah I was excited about a pusgoyle focused list but then I remembered the other previewed ability works best on blight kings. Plus the command ability is pretty terrible... A point of rend on a 6 to wound is really really bad for a command point. Especially considering the pusgoyles should just have that rend natively to begin with.

Munificent looks decent but jamming more than 1 unit of plaguebearers wholly within 12 of the general is going to be tricky. Could be interesting I guess.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

Just now, Grimrock said:

Munificent looks decent but jamming more than 1 unit of plaguebearers wholly within 12 of the general is going to be tricky. Could be decent though 

I'd just park a GUO with bell/dagger in the middle of a 30 man plaguebearer unit and take geminids and use them as a big bully unit near the middle of the table. Don't expect it to be a top tier thing but if the rest of the subfaction stuff grants bonuses to cast or can ramp up their damage dealing abilities I could see myself taking it to a tournament. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

StD and Tzeentch here (and skaven that have been zapped from this "all players of chaos "book). Same as you. Not particularly enthusiast except maybe for the varanguard thing and....that's it. For (half)fun (or half competitive), I hoped that we could eventually , for example, put a heavy hitter greater daemon in a tzentch army (which one? khorne one? or slanesh one?) just because I like the big guys but I don't want to start a new army. Same for StD to add those big minis.

I'll wait until the full scope, but the hype has lowered a bit. 

I was (or am) hoping to be able to add Daemons to my StD Army WHILE having synergies and interactions for my Mortals and the Daemons.

I doubt this will happen. So my excitement is dropping...

edit: Meaning Undivided Chaos Warriors getting an Aura bonus from a Keeper of Secrets and the likes.

Edited by JackStreicher

So I think we're going to need an FAQ for the  that Varanguard one, since they get the Hero keyword you can give them the Sword of Judgement and all of a sudden a unit of Varanguard have 18 attacks and 6's do D6 mortal wounds to Hero's or Monsters or give the riders weapons -3 rend, etc. I wonder if only one model in the unit can use the artefact?

• LOVE IT! 1

21 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

So I think we're going to need an FAQ for the  that Varanguard one, since they get the Hero keyword you can give them the Sword of Judgement and all of a sudden a unit of Varanguard have 18 attacks and 6's do D6 mortal wounds to Hero's or Monsters or give the riders weapons -3 rend, etc. I wonder if only one model in the unit can use the artefact?

this will have massive unintended consequences, 💯 guaranteed 

Yeah, the Varanguard-as-hero thing is a hot mess ruleswise. I suspect it will be faq'ed such that either one model can use the artefact or that the unit can't be given artefacts despite being a hero. Even some command trait combinations seem like they could be pretty nuts.

I really wish these articles didn't insult the intelligence of the reader so frequently. Like @Grimrock said, there is no way to reasonably interpret the Drowned Men command ability as "particularly nasty" unless  by "nasty" they mean "terrible." Rough back of the envelope math shows that getting an extra rend on 6's to wound is roughly an 8% damage boost overall, and it has a short range of wholly within 12". For comparison, adding reroll 1's to hit with the basic command ability everyone gets is about a 16.67% damage boost. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

Yeah, the Varanguard-as-hero thing is a hot mess ruleswise. I suspect it will be faq'ed such that either one model can use the artefact or that the unit can't be given artefacts despite being a hero. Even some command trait combinations seem like they could be pretty nuts.

I really wish these articles didn't insult the intelligence of the reader so frequently. Like @Grimrock said, there is no way to reasonably interpret the Drowned Men command ability as "particularly nasty" unless  by "nasty" they mean "terrible." Rough back of the envelope math shows that getting an extra rend on 6's to wound is roughly an 8% damage boost overall, and it has a short range of wholly within 12". For comparison, adding reroll 1's to hit with the basic command ability everyone gets is about a 16.67% damage boost. 

While this game generally has a lot of good things going for it in the rules, stuff like this always just makes me wonder at who on earth is in charge of balance for abilities like this.  They're just so bad.  Plus, I personally HATE abilities that modify damage/rend on a high hit/wound roll.  It makes rolling dice take much longer.  Abilities like 6's are an extra hit (or a MW) aren't that bad, but keeping track of which dice have more rend is always a pain.

1 hour ago, BaylorCorvette said:

The blurb says they can pick a Command Trait and an Artifact of Power from the "bespoke" lists, so it sounds like they will not have access to the Malign Sorcery Realm Artifacts.  I wouldn't worry about needing an FAQ until we've actually seen all the rules.

Edited by Aelfric
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

The blurb says they can pick a Command Trait and an Artifact of Power from the "bespoke" lists, so it sounds like they will not have access to the Malign Sorcery Realm Artifacts.  I wouldn't worry about needing an FAQ until we've actually seen all the rules.

Yeah good point, I just re-read the article and I guess I missed that part. Makes more sense now.

• Like 1

This book was billed as something that ALL Chaos players would be excited by. I know that is just marketing hype but it doesn't feel great that a book for ALL Chaos players seems to have absolutely no mention of Skaven, Beasts of Chaos or, god forbid, Chaos Dwarfs.

Combined that the book is also supposed to be a Chaos vs. Death narrative book but seemingly features absolutely f all rules for Death players leaves me pretty underwhelmed.

To be fair, I was unlikely to buy this book anyway, I do hope that we get something a bit more comprehensive going forward.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

ALL Chaos players seems to have absolutely no mention of Skaven, Beasts of Chaos or, god forbid, Chaos Dwarfs.

Yeah I’m not really a fan of it either, considering how the skaven really could use a sub faction or a battailon that is worth it’s points. 
Considering  that we are in the year of the Rat and well, that the skaven haven’t gotten any replacement for their old, very old models, we might get lucky with a similar campaign book that features the rise of the great horned rat, and some duardin foe’s who seek to Take back what ones was their’s