The Rumour Thread

57 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

Yeah, the bare chested orruk has a skull mask that makes one think of a new wardokk sculpt, but the skull is an exact copy of the skull pauldron decorations in the ironjawz brutes and gore-grunta kits. 

check out the destruction forums, there’s a bunch of really long speculation threads there. Seems most people leaning towards ironjawz or mixed Orruk warclans based on the card art

It would make sense. I really think GW is serious about pushing resin out of their product line, and I think they are using shadespire as a way to do it.  Take a look at the latest 2. We got a new Rotbringer Sorcerer, Icebrow Hunter, and Frost Saber (not much you can do with a single Saber tho)
If we assume that "Orruk Warclans" is not just a temporary soup book, and that they don't plan to give bonesplitters their own stuff again, I can see them trying to tie the two factions together a little. 

Finecast was an "emergency" material brought in mostly to try and let GW use its existing metal casting system whilst using a material that was more stable in price. Metals kept going up and down (with a general upswing all the time) in price which for a company producing large volumes of models, made it very hard for GW to budget for it.

Finecast has, however, proven to be a bad material quality control wise. Even now it gets issues with casting bubbles. When it works its great, but otherwise its a pain and many people outright avoid it as a material even if they are used to working with regular resins such as Forgeworld and other companies. 

GW clearly wants rid of it, but at the same time they are clearly staggering its removal. AoS isn't even alone in this, Eldar still have nearly all their aspect warriors in resin and are still only slowly getting them changed to plastic. Necrons still have most of their character leaders in resin etc... 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Overread said:

When it works its great

I respectfully disagree. Unlike FW's resin it's extremely fragile even IF the cast is decent (good luck with that) - I got two FC models and those are enough for me to never, ever buy another.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I respectfully disagree. Unlike FW's resin it's extremely fragile even IF the cast is decent (good luck with that) - I got two FC models and those are enough for me to never, ever buy another.

I have a few chaos familiars (two packs, so 24), and these work quite well. It depends on the model, I think. It is still better than any metal.

25 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I have a few chaos familiars (two packs, so 24), and these work quite well. It depends on the model, I think. It is still better than any metal.

I won't find out I'm afraid. :D I have/had hundreds of metal minis and never had a problem with them outside of obvious drawbacks. With the 2 Finecast ones I've had lots of problems. From fixing the models (which isn't my job, I'm a paying customer) to them being a brittle, warped mess (which can be fixed but shouldn't have to be) in the end. It's simply a very bad product in every possible way. Especially when there's FW next door who make splendid resin minis. I understand they worry about young ones (cause why else wouldn't they use better resin) but then don't sell those models to people younger than 18 or - even better - give them the benefit of the doubt and let nature do its own thing if they manage to kill themselves with a resin mini (which they won't).

The only time where Failcast would've been good was when I was 14, wanted to remove a Rubric Marine's head with a stanley knife (thanks for that idea, Neil Hodgson - j/k, this started my love for Tzeentch) and cut my own thumb open. Very stupid but it's my very own mark of Tzeentch.

43 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Oof. Give me metal over resin any day. The heft, the stability, the durability ... I just really prefer it. Just a difference if opinion, obviously, but I really think finecast was awful.

Even GW's biggest selling point (go back and read what they wrote at release) about "finally, the detail the sculptors always put in the models can be seen" was BS. I bought each version of a few models that were available as both metal and resin and painted them. The detail is really only a very, very small amount better in resin. Like, barely detectable. Certainly not good enough to trade off for all the problems finecast had.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Oof. Give me metal over resin any day. The heft, the stability, the durability ... I just really prefer it. Just a difference if opinion, obviously, but I really think finecast was awful.

Even GW's biggest selling point (go back and read what they wrote at release) about "finally, the detail the sculptors always put in the models can be seen" was BS. I bought each version of a few models that were available as both metal and resin and painted them. The detail is really only a very, very small amount better in resin. Like, barely detectable. Certainly not good enough to trade off for all the problems finecast had.

I can't edit metal, and I am not exactly known for building something according to the box. The heft makes it more vulnerable (falls are harder). Getting joints to fit right (in multipart models) is a lot more work. Paint sticks badly on it.

I haven't had any issues with bad casts, but my sample size is small, just that my preferred glue doesn't work with it.

To me, Finecast is just a finnicky resin, metal is a wholly different technique, and I have to build stuff as described, which is not something I enjoy. Would the familiars have been metal, I wouldn't have used any of them to make halflings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

I can't edit metal, and I am not exactly known for building something according to the box. The heft makes it more vulnerable (falls are harder). Getting joints to fit right (in multipart models) is a lot more work. Paint sticks badly on it.

I haven't had any issues with bad casts, but my sample size is small, just that my preferred glue doesn't work with it.

To me, Finecast is just a finnicky resin, metal is a wholly different technique, and I have to build stuff as described, which is not something I enjoy. Would the familiars have been metal, I wouldn't have used any of them to make halflings.

That’s the point. The ease of customization with their plastic was what made me stick with GW models in the first place. Every other material was just a pain in that regard.  And I soon regretted every purchase that was not plastic.

Edited by Beastmaster
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Finecasts biggest selling point (as hyped up by gw at the time) was that it was much cheaper than metal, however it was only ‘cheaper’ for gw as everything recast as finecast went up in price upon release..

And the „detail“ - stricken by bubble holes. I really lost my temper when they announced liquid greenstuff, so we could fix our finecast models, for which we already paid an absurd price at the time 🤬

I had a small bubble on my copy of Festus the Leechlord. I ended up making it look like a chunk of missing flesh oozing blood and slime rather than fixing it. I can't imagine how annoying it must be to work with if your army isn't supposed to look like a mess. My sorcerer has a big crack running down his face that I still need to fix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Finecasts biggest selling point (as hyped up by gw at the time) was that it was much cheaper than metal, however it was only ‘cheaper’ for gw as everything recast as finecast went up in price upon release..

The only finecast I have are Chaos Familiars, at 12,50 per 10. GW sells 10 bases for 4 euro's (which noone should buy, if only because of the dimple in the center), which leaves 8,50 for the models themselves, I think that's a fair price.

I was also quite impressed with the detail of them (toned down the detail of the skeletal candle holder with liquid plastic to make him into a scrawny Ghur battlemage), but maybe I'm just easily impressed.

12 hours ago, MitGas said:

GW have experimented with different finecast resins since they first came out and are now using a material that's a bit closer to a traditional resin - certainly more heat resistant than the original formula.

I'd personally not be keen to purchase a finecast/resin model that was originally sculpted in metal as the sculpt really doesn't work for the different material, but wouldn't have an issue with the more modern resin models (like some of the Black Library special ed ones).

4 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

GW have experimented with different finecast resins since they first came out and are now using a material that's a bit closer to a traditional resin - certainly more heat resistant than the original formula.

I'd personally not be keen to purchase a finecast/resin model that was originally sculpted in metal as the sculpt really doesn't work for the different material, but wouldn't have an issue with the more modern resin models (like some of the Black Library special ed ones).

The familiars are from the 1980's, and the material isn't that fragile, I've managed to seperate the legs of the succubus to give her a different stance, and also changed a bit in the manikins to have the sword that warrior uses be a bit different.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Ah, that is good to know.... the Curseling I've gotten around 2 years ago still used classic Finecast and well.... he wasn't exactly great. Which is a bummer as I love the mini's design but he makes me paranoid. If I looked at him the wrong way one of those feathers could break off.

2 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

That's basically stance on non-FW resin models. If it was originally metal, I'm going to scour eBay and second hand sites to find it even if GW is selling the resin cast of it and only settle for the resin if it was my only option. I'm currently in the process of tracking down metal Maneaters.

Okay these look REALLY fun (and makes me wish to be a Chaos player!).

So, quick thoughts

- Awww yeahhh United Chaos Daemons

- Heroic Varanguards is awesome

- I have zero Khorne models but I wish I had so I could have Bloodthirster spam

- My Tzeentch-loving friend will love the Tzeentch allegiances

- Exploding Nurgle daemons is very fluffy and I love the gross mental image it gives

- Both ambushing and hero-hunting Slaaneshi daemons look really fun to an untrained eye like mine

- Be'lakor is back and boxed by daemons! Might look a bit silly, but silly can be deadly!

All in all, pretty cool! I know Skaven and Beasts players will most likely be disappointed - hang in there, your time will come (eventually)!

• Like 2