The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, skeen77 said:

So I guess this is what the next few months are going to be like. People attacking and defending aelves, people who play aelves hating on people who play different aelves, and everyone complaining about Teclis' model. Cool cool cool.

Last few years, next few months, every other release after this. 
it’s what happened when ossiarch models were shown, When idoneth released, when kharadron appeared. 

people like different styles, and discuss it. It might not be the most classy thing but it’s not an pointy elves specific thing. 

• Like 1

The thing is that when Idoneth were mentioned a lot of people said that mistweaver model was an Idoneth... but don't. Then was said that Tenebral shard is a Malerion aelf and Mistweaver a Light aelf. And now I think Mistweaver don't fits the Lumineth, there's no aetherquarz stones and as she has some moons I think maybe is not a Teclis friend. 

Malerion ones will be like a Slanesh cult. Spikes, leather and tentacles (and some bat wings) just like the Tenebral model has

And this leaves me thinking if Mistweaver will never fit an army. And is an incredible model

Edited by Hoseman

3 hours ago, xking said:

The Lumineth's situation sounds like they go through default eastern enlightenment.  Detachment from emotions and ego  to become one with the realm of light. And of the elimination persona.

The sub-factions sound like they could be interesting.

Off-topic, so I'll add it into a spoiler.

Spoiler

The enlightenment you describe is mostly a zen buddhist approach and some practices in hinduism as well, but not really the default for 'eastern enlightenment'. As an active practitioner of Tibetan Buddhism myself I think there is a slight mistranslation that even I have fallen victim to in the past, and frankly a common misunderstanding concerning what the practice towards enlightenment is about, because while the practice helps to not be as attached to the ego or emotion, the english word for "detachment" has a different feel/meaning to it then what the Tibetan teachings would suggest.  To not be attached to something just isn't the same as to be detached of something. Where one is in a sense a form of indifference, while the other feels like its like its meaning portrays a constant action to not be associated with these things at all.

As sentient beings, we all have emotion and ego, its always present all the time. A lot of practices try to get rid of the emotion and ego, but this is a difficult approach. Instead, one should try to overcome emotion and ego and in a way tame it. Then once tamed, we become less susceptible to the negative side effects of just letting the ego and emotion do whatever it wants, going from 1 negative pattern into another with only a few positives woven in between.

A good comparison would be if you buy a new shirt for example. For all intents and purposes that is "your" shirt, relatively speaking of course. And while the "your" part is a fabrication of the ego, it has a function to you personally to keep you warm or clean, etc. And there is no issue in having some enjoyment in having/using that shirt. Issues arise however, if, for example, the shirt suddenly goes missing, it rips, it gets destroyed in the laundry, etc, at which point, an untamed ego will immediately get upset and sad for losing something that was 'theirs'. A trained approach would be more along the lines of "That was my shirt, now its not. Oh well. Time to move on."

In Tibetan Buddhism (and other forms of Buddhism) therefor, you are continuously aware that everything, including the shirt and ego, is of temporary nature and constantly changing form. So the "you" you are now is different from the "you" you were 10 years ago, or the "you" you are going to be 10 years in the future. Its a constant flowing stream of change. So, at some point things will cease to have its original function. And that is ok in the grand scheme of things. So in a way, by being less attached to something, your emotions are easier to control and less negative thoughts will arise if stuff does go wrong.

If properly practiced, you can basically re-align your thoughts in such a way that you can have clarity and a positive mindset. Then, when having a clearer and wiser outlook on life (and death), you can use these tools to practice sincere love for all sentient beings.

Regardless, the ego and emotion are necesary tools of being a sentient being. In fact, without the ego there would be no motivation to even practice towards enlightenment in the first place. Also, enlightenment does not have to mean the elimination of persona. The part that makes you "you" is still present in some shape, form and non-form, even after enlightenment, just not in the way it is now, nor in the self centred way our minds are currently like, but still present.

The English language is an amazing tool for communication, but many times it feels the essence of difficult teachings and concepts get lost in translation. The ammount of times I've heard people tell me stuff like "Karma means doing good makes good stuff happen to you, doing bad makes bad stuff happen to you" and stuff such as "meditation is about emptying the mind", it is a bit tiring. Since these are all things carried to the west many years ago by people whom had little understanding of the teachings themselves or did not know how to properly teach them themselves. In the case of Karma for example, karma is mind. Do you have a very positive and happy mindset? You will be more likely to see opportunities and seize them compared to being a pessimist. One of the easiest ways to work towards getting a positive mindset? Practice good morality and help others. Same with meditation. Focusing your thoughts and eliminating unnecesary thought is not the same as no thought.

To get back on topic... Now when linking it back to the Hysh elves, I think, like you said, they got quite a zen buddhist influence to the way they are, where they almost seem like timeless and wise beings, yet, I am sort of missing the expression of love that true enlightenment embodies. I hope there will eventually be an army that sort of captures that essence in some shape or form. Right now it feels like all the elf factions embody a different aspect of the road to enlightenment, where the nurturing aspects are represented in sylvaneth, the connection of consciousness and the body by the idoneth and the practice of wisdom by the  new elves. XD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

"Well, lads, lasses and enby pals, this is where I think my stop on the hype train comes. I wanted overly-emotional (Kin-strife! Kin-strife!) Silmarillion elves, not the arrogant and aloof LOTR elves! I am most likely hyperbolic right now, but this really feels like Eldar: AoS Edition with similar history, personality and both carry magic stones on them (albeit for different purposes, hahahah!). And nothing against Lumineth or Eldar - or anyone who wants more arrogant elves - but they aren't for me. The models are still cool and I'll gladly follow what kinds of Lumineth we'll still be teased with"-@Public Universal  [my quoting they didn't want to quote his post]

I wouldn't worry too much, to me it looks like their flaw is too much emotion and that the aetherquartz slowly ("eventually") drains their emotions. thus I think there is plenty of room for overly-emotional elves in the younger Lumineth and those that refuse to walk the standard path (like eldar outcasts in 40k). It also adds a potential for an interesting internal conflict within the faction. the younger elves will be overly-emotional battling with control, middle-aged elves are going to have normal levels of emotion and older elves will have little to no emotion. and then outcasts won't even try to drain their emotion. if you think generational frictions IRL and for humans is bad, imagine what it is like for Lumineth who have potentially massive differences in emotional experiences and thus behavior and perspectives.

3 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

@Overread To bring a different nerd analogy into this, I actually kind of hope Malarion has become the Vegeta to Tyrion's Goku.

lol

3 hours ago, Hoseman said:

The thing is that when Idoneth were mentioned a lot of people said that mistweaver model was an Idoneth... but don't. Then was said that Tenebral shard is a Malerion aelf and Mistweaver a Light aelf. And now I think Mistweaver don't fits the Lumineth, there's no aetherquarz stones and as she has some moons I think maybe is not a Teclis friend. 

Malerion ones will be like a Slanesh cult. Spikes, leather and tentacles (and some bat wings) just like the Tenebral model has

And this leaves me thinking if Mistweaver will never fit an army. And is an incredible model

I get the impression that there are going to be multiple types of elves made by each god. Teclis has made (at the very least) the idoneth and lumineth. Morathi has made her snake ladies, her winged ladies and her slave class.

Malerion is likely going to have multiple different creations aswell. the mistweaver and CoS shadow blades are already from the realm of shadow in the lore, so its also possible that Malerion's army will include non-slaaneshi digested elves (who will look like the mistweaver) aswell as his own twisted creations.

@Kugane, wonderfully written.

I'm looking forward to the explanation of the runes. With the death of the elven pantheon the structure of the elves died too, I'm rather interested how the writers will create the new elven myth of how the universe is structured and relations of the LRL to it.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

If anything aelves are like eldar now. 

DoK = Dark eldar 

Idoneth = Ynnari (sort of with the souls to bring back the dead god / neither dark nor light) 

Lumineth = Craft worlds 

Then...

Ulgu aelves = Exodites?

I could buy the heck out of that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beastmaster said:

How exactly do the old dark elf models (corsairs etc) fit into the new Aelf history? Do they fit at all?

That's in Cities somewhere. I have not read the aelves more than cursory.

Wanderers have been forgiven by Alarielle.

Scourge privateers are monster hunters.

Coven are basically knockoff daughters of Khaine.

I have no recollection about the rest.

2 hours ago, Beastmaster said:

How exactly do the old dark elf models (corsairs etc) fit into the new Aelf history? Do they fit at all?

The Lumineth dont change the history of the rest of the Aelfs. 

There were Aelfs before the gods captured Slaanesh. Maybe survivors of the world-that-was, or maybe they just randomly sprung up in the mortal realms, it doesn't matter really. 

These Aelfs lived their lives, build cities and empires. Some of them were especially cunning sailors, they build a seafaring empire. They had a pretty good raiding coasts and ruling the seas, but everything must come to an end. So when Chaos destroyed their empire, they fled to Azyr. 

The book Heart of Winter explains all this in greater detail.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

The Lumineth dont change the history of the rest of the Aelfs. 

There were Aelfs before the gods captured Slaanesh. Maybe survivors of the world-that-was, or maybe they just randomly sprung up in the mortal realms, it doesn't matter really. 

These Aelfs lived their lives, build cities and empires. Some of them were especially cunning sailors, they build a seafaring empire. They had a pretty good raiding coasts and ruling the seas, but everything must come to an end. So when Chaos destroyed their empire, they fled to Azyr. 

The book Heart of Winter explains all this in greater detail.

46 minutes ago, xking said:

Order Serpentis also had an empire https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Order_Serpentis

That doesn't make much sense because the lore about Tyrion, Teclis and Malerion says they couldn't find any aelves. That was in the age of myth. 

Anyway now we have Lumineth I imagine they will phase out all the old WHFB elves. 

8 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

That doesn't make much sense because the lore about Tyrion, Teclis and Malerion says they couldn't find any aelves. That was in the age of myth. 

Anyway now we have Lumineth I imagine they will phase out all the old WHFB elves. 

No, they did find Aelfs. Just not a whole lot of them. Way less than for example Duardin or Humans. 

For example, Morathi had some Aelf followers after she was exiled by Malerion but before they imprisoned Slaanesh. 

Edited by Gecktron

25 minutes ago, xking said:

Does anyone know what happened to Josef Bugman during the end times? did he die? 

There still is a pub in one small Tempest's Eye city that bears his name. When it is in a presentable state, I'll post pictures of the Gotrek Gurnisson and the Drakebreakers concert that is planned for the reopening.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dragobeth said:

Then...

Ulgu aelves = Exodites?

I could buy the heck out of that.

Wasn't there rumours that Ulgu aelves would be draconian? And doesn't exodites ride saurians?

@Turin Turambar

You're right, thank you! I didn't really think it from that perspective. That would, undoubtedly, create some good narratives and lore building.

Edited by Public Universal Duardin
Formatting on mobile is wonky
  • Like 1

Just now, Whitefang said:

There are elves survived the end times in havens to realms and most of them now stay in Azyr

Ironically they are actually the purest elves for they never got eaten by Slannesh

Actually the vast majority of Aelves in the Mortal Realms were never eaten by Slaanesh.

The bulk of Aelves we have so far are pretty much all born in the Mortal Realms. Even the majority of Idoneth were never within Slaanesh's belly now, however they are the decedents of those who were. Meanwhile Morathi uses the saved souls to make khinerai and melisai - both creatures that we've no detail on thus far if they can procreate on their own. The whole rest of the Daughters of Khaine are regular aelves born and raised in the Realms. 

Indeed the Age of Sigmar the Aelves, whilst getting hit like every other race during the Age of Chaos, is an age where dwarves and aelves are growing in number. In the Old World both were broken races basically slowly depopulating and falling apart. In the Mortal Realms they are pretty much on equal footing with humans. Which is a neat change to have a fantasy world where humans are out-breeding everyone to slowly rule everywhere. 

My impression is that the Shadow Aelves are much like the Daughters of Khaine - a bulk population of regular Aelves, with a back-up of warp twisted saved soul creatures. So far its only Teclis who is making entire new peoples from the saved souls. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

The bulk of Aelves we have so far are pretty much all born in the Mortal Realms. Even the majority of Idoneth were never within Slaanesh's belly now, however they are the decedents of those who were.

No the point of @Whitefang was, and it’s referenced multiple times throughout the lore, that the (now azyr/city of sigmar) ealves are not created from the saved souls from the belly of Slaanesh. There were elven survivors and they fled to azyr in the same manner as duardin and humans. 
separate to that is teclis’s attempts to save the souls of his people and recreate them into his vision of ealves. 
now I’ll wholeheartedly agree this is a pretty weak storyline to justify being able to field old world models. Especially useful during the launch of AoS, but it’s there nonetheless. 

• Like 1