The Rumour Thread

9 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

I hope this doesn't mean idoneth are getting abandoned. If the narrative is just "Teclis fixed elves these guys are perfect" it will be a real shame. 

I don't think they're going to abandon a fully plastic army of nearly a dozen kits that was created less than two years ago and is repeatedly mentioned in the battletomes, art, and BL books. Making something fit the changing background and what the design studio envision for AoS is certainly a Thing but so much that it would prompt them to drop a line like this.

44 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

How soon everyone foegets that much of Warcraft in general was taken from Warhammer.  And it's almost like Blizzard sent people into GW to look at Tyranid designs for their Zerg....

Blizzard originally approached Games Workshop with a working demo of Warcraft, which was set in the world of warhammer. GW wasn’t interested so blizzard reskinned many of their designs, and rewrote the narrative to remove GE intellectual property, but the end result is that Warcraft retained many of its Warhammer ties. 

1 minute ago, Gothmaug said:

Blizzard originally approached Games Workshop with a working demo of Warcraft, which was set in the world of warhammer. GW wasn’t interested so blizzard reskinned many of their designs, and rewrote the narrative to remove GE intellectual property, but the end result is that Warcraft retained many of its Warhammer ties. 

I'm pretty sure originally GW approached Blizzard to make a game and then the contract fell through between them. Blizzard were far enough along that instead of cancelling the project, they redesigned the units, the lore and made their own game to release. Of cousre both gamers were very much born of the same era and were heavily influenced by the fantasy and tropes of the day. 

Ever since they've basically influenced each other. Space marines are very much an inspiration of Starcraft (protoss - eldar; Tyranids - Zerg; Marines - er Marines). Meanwhile AoS is very much playing to the epic fantasy worlds that WoW has helped make popular with gamers. 

Just now, Zanzou said:

My guess is that it may be why they started with showing only Teclis....

I agree, there’s no way the affects of slannesh were totally purged. Now what’s more important to Teclis, looks or content? Are we going to get perfect physical elves with dark inner flaws, or perfect heroic elven souls stuck in partially twisted physical forms?

I don’t know enough about Teclis to know if his personality would prefer the former or latter? Is he an egotistical madman bent on restoring the historic appearance of the aelves, no matter the cost, or is he more benevolent and accepts imperfect physical forms but with purified souls?

Is no one else surprised that they have entirely squatted tyrion now. I knew it was coming but it does seem odd we just have to forget he ever existed. Especially as teclis is still clearly a magic guy. Tyrion was a good representation of martial elves. Completely getting rid of him just seems weird. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Can you imagine the sourness and bitterness when idoneth encounter the actually better-in-every-perspect near-perfect proper aelves?

Oh that’d be a great story

That's a story I'm very interested in.  There was a debunked rumor of a dual box of Pointy Aelves vs. Idoneth that really grabbed my attension because of the narrative tension invloved in that kind of conflict.  I really dig the concept of the "sibling rivalry" between the two factions.  I think it would be interesting if the aelves caused the Idoneth to go insane with jealousy and pushed them out of Order into Destruction!

5 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

I agree, there’s no way the affects of slannesh were totally purged. Now what’s more important to Teclis, looks or content? Are we going to get perfect physical elves with dark inner flaws, or perfect heroic elven souls stuck in partially twisted physical forms?

I don’t know enough about Teclis to know if his personality would prefer the former or latter? Is he an egotistical madman bent on restoring the historic appearance of the aelves, no matter the cost, or is he more benevolent and accepts imperfect physical forms but with purified souls?

I would expect near perfect outer forms, with multiple harder to notice at first inner flaws.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

Is no one else surprised that they have entirely squatted tyrion now. I knew it was coming but it does seem odd we just have to forget he ever existed. Especially as teclis is still clearly a magic guy. Tyrion was a good representation of martial elves. Completely getting rid of him just seems weird. 

He's too bound up in the Idoneth lore to be squatted.  They reference him a lot in the new novel, with almost more love for him than Teclis.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

It will be cool (and very strange) if Tyrion will lead Idoneth in the end to make peace between two "hight" aelves nations) If I'm remember correctly Tyrion saves them from Teclis.

14 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

They haven't gotten rid of him. He is mentioned extensively in the core rulebook and several battletomes. His shtick is that he's a blind warrior god of Hysh who can only see through Teclis. There's a human city that worships him.

He hasn't been mentioned in the two low-detail WHC preview pieces we've seen about the new faction - we don't even know their name - so to say that "they have entirely squatted tyrion now" seems poorly thought out at best. We don't know what his relationship to this new faction is.

He looks great! Very fitting for a god of light.

I'm finding it funny to see some older fan salt that he should be crippled weak wizard and not a light samurai but too bad, Gods don't roll like that. ;)

I'm betting he has an alt form like the other alven gods Morathi and the Deepkin manifestation. He's been described before as a being of light energy without a body so it wouldn't surprise me if that's him when he goes giant.

Looking forward to the new light aelves, this bodes well for enough stylistic changes to make them their own thing like the Hysh version of Fyreslayers. Plus can't wait to see what flaws they have that Teclis is trying to hide. xD

1 hour ago, cofaxest said:

It will be cool (and very strange) if Tyrion will lead Idoneth in the end to make peace between two "hight" aelves nations) If I'm remember correctly Tyrion saves them from Teclis.

This is what I want. I posted in the other thread but it makes sense. 

Tyrion is the blind god, so many of the idoneth are blind. The idoneth are also likely to be more martial than the pure Teclis aelves. I also think that Tyrion might have more sympathy for the idoneth because he was possessed / corrupted himself during the end times. 

The other two ideas I have for idoneth. 

1) They manage to find a way to save themselves and resurrect mathlann through soul magic. Probably too similar to Ynnari in 40k.

2) They find some kind of ancient sea god / entity who helps protect and shelter them in return for some kind of service. In other words they go full cthullu elves. 

I know none of these are really likely and GW don't tend to move narrative forward in that way but I find them cool. 

• Like 7

If Teclis represents the moon, what exactly is the moon in the mortal realms. If I recall correctly night and day in the mortal realms are triggered by the rotations of Hysh and Ulgu. Is the moon the light of Hysh that shines along the edge of Ulgu while Ulgu is technically in front. Is the moon an aspect of Ulgu, that little bit of light that in the dark. Is it its own separate entity that reflects the light of Hysh while Ulgu is in effect, I mean the "Bad Moon" is its own entity.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Icegoat said:

Tyrion might not have ascended unto god-hood as Teclis did? Tyrion might be present on the battlefield as a representation of Teclis’ will?