The Rumour Thread

24 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Not really. A lot of the warscrolls are flat out terrible/significantly worse than others, hence the "illusion of choice" and why in reality you're looking at significantly fewer warscrolls. 

Imo, that's irrelevant. A new FAQ or edition can change that or even nerf the whole battletome.

Look at KO, we have 15 warscrolls but we played with just 5. But that shoudn't be the metric used in this arguments. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Not really. A lot of the warscrolls are flat out terrible/significantly worse than others, hence the "illusion of choice" and why in reality you're looking at significantly fewer warscrolls. 

Only in the way you approach the hobby. Not everybody only takes units based on being the optimum choice. 
don’t make the mistake of thinking your way is the only way.

i’d play brutes over Ard boys for example while I know Ard boys are better at pretty much everything for their points and fulfill the same role. Doesn’t make brutes useless. Bad model design, that’s what kills warscrolls for me personally. 

• Like 12
  • LOVE IT! 3

6 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Only in the way you approach the hobby. Not everybody only takes units based on being the optimum choice. 
don’t make the mistake of thinking your way is the only way.

i’d play brutes over Ard boys for example while I know Ard boys are better at pretty much everything for their points and fulfill the same role. Doesn’t make brutes useless. Bad model design, that’s what kills warscrolls for me personally. 

Brutes and Ardboyz are close to each other, but you trade damage vs utility. Both are useful. Completely different scenario and not what I was refering to at all.

I'm talking about warscrolls that have the same purpose/role but objectively worse by a long shot.

If you only care about fluff or how a model looks, that's great and all, but as I initially said, I don't see the value in it. That's obviously from a matched play perspective.

• LOVE IT! 1

30 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Brutes and Ardboyz are close to each other, but you trade damage vs utility. Both are useful. Completely different scenario and not what I was refering to at all.

I'm talking about warscrolls that have the same purpose/role but objectively worse by a long shot.

If you only care about fluff or how a model looks, that's great and all, but as I initially said, I don't see the value in it. That's obviously from a matched play perspective.

I have poured over the warscrolls quite a bit, and there is merit in almost all of them. Now I am in no way a veteran, so I am eager to learn.

Aside from Phoenix guard being a bit too good for their points (thus overshadowing other elite infantry) and Drakespawn and Executioners sucking, which warscrolls do you find bad?

3 hours ago, Charleston said:

@trolemon thanks for the listing! Some interesting data :) Also, OBR are from Nov 2019, not 2018.

I find it interesting how subjective feeling of an army having enough Warscrolls is. Factions with 15, which seems like GW-min for new factions, really feel "thin". In my personal opinion, the Gutbusters book feels just about right with the listed 23 Warscrolls. Meanwhile Slaanesh seems "thing" on Warscrolls again, while having 22 according to this list. Meanwhile, having roughly 20+ Warscrolls should make a faction feel more fleshed out I guess, which is why the lack of new kits for Fyreslayers, IDK, Daughters or KO feels like such a big issue right now.

Yeah, it's good to know but it does highlight the subjectivity of how this feels. DoK have fewer warscrolls and kits than Fyreslayers, FEC or Ironjawz/Bonesplitters but they feel less one-note and less homogenous as a faction, both in aesthetic and unit roles. Same for Kharadron and Idoneth, both have a good amount of meaningful diversity despite relatively low kit/warscroll counts.

Part of it might be that a lot of warscrolls in the thinner-feeling factions tend to be alt-builds on the same kit but that can be done in a way that feels like it's stretching a little (e.g. the many warscrolls from the abhorrant on terrogheist kit) or in a way that makes quite a few distinct things (e.g. the DoK cauldron of blood). It's certainly subjective but how one-note some factions is something that has kept me fairly uninterested in them.

Edited by sandlemad
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 1/4/2020 at 9:52 PM, Overread said:

. Slaves to Darkness, also without a tome, still had their box at this Christmas (and its likely still kicking around in a good few stores, though likely nearly all gone now that a new Tome is actually out).

Actually still available on warhamner world on Saturday... with the old start collecting...

24 minutes ago, SaJeel said:

Can someone give me a compilation of where the Giant rumors come from?

As far as I know the source is a community post where they ended with: ‘we have great, some might say GIANT, news coming soon, but for now it’s Hysh Hysh.’

(Quote from memory so likely slightly different)

from there the rumour mill started turning. Could it be titans for AoS. Some rumour engines do look similar to a giant ship like zombie form total war. So will it be a titan/giant for every grand alliance? Does the hint point to two releases? One giant related and one Hysh. Etc etc. 

but as far as I know it stems from that one line at the back of an community article. 

Edited by Kramer

Remember giant might not mean a big model, it might be that the new light aelf army is going to be a giant in terms of the number of new sculpts/models added/returned to the range. GW has been steadily boosting the numbers of models they add to new armies over the course of the release of 2.0. From Daughters of Khaine who have about the smallest range of model kits; through to Ossiarchs which have a very respectful number of kits (not counting Stormcast who got an insane glut of kits). 

10 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Yeah, it's good to know but it does highlight the subjectivity of how this feels. DoK have fewer warscrolls and kits than Fyreslayers, FEC or Ironjawz/Bonesplitters but they feel less one-note and less homogenous as a faction, both in aesthetic and unit roles. Same for Kharadron and Idoneth, both have a good amount of meaningful diversity despite relatively low kit/warscroll counts.

Part of it might be that a lot of warscrolls in the thinner-feeling factions tend to be alt-builds on the same kit but that can be done in a way that feels like it's stretching a little (e.g. the many warscrolls from the abhorrant on terrogheist kit) or in a way that makes quite a few distinct things (e.g. the DoK cauldron of blood). It's certainly subjective but how one-note some factions is something that has kept me fairly uninterested in them.

Visual diversification absolutely helps - imagine how great the smaller factions would be if they had crab-people or squid-lords in IDK's case or Magmapeople or something in the case of Fireslayers for example. It's IMO one of the best things about Chaos armies. 

• LOVE IT! 1

On 1/5/2020 at 5:54 AM, novakai said:

from the Reddit ( some grain of salt), Seraphon was asked during the seminar

"Sat at the Warhammer World Open Day AoS Seminar and asked the Panel about the future of Seraphon.

Confirmed that

"They will get a new book"

"They will get their day in the Sun"

"We have done some work on them within Malign Portents""

They actually joked that it could take 12 years to get a new book 😂 and then said was a joke. But they were absolutely not committing and generic.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Dirtnaps said:

What if this time instead of the new starter set just being Stormcast they instead did a Cities of Sigmar (with stormcast and a couple new sculpts for existing CoS units) vs Orruk Warclans to go along with the narrative revolving around the aftermath of Gordrakk trying to bust his way into Azyr by attacking Excelsis. Now that's a box I'd like to see, they could even add in some rules for Excelsis that could maybe be put in the next generals handbook.

In Warhammer weekly they hypothesise a devoted of Sigmar factions as one of the chambers of the Stormcast. I think Tom referred to the Covenant chamber as priests with humans as the backbone and few more Stormcast to bolster them or alternatively able to include the usual 1 every 4 models of pure Stormcast.

Personally I would like to see an expansion based on a theme, like priests or siege engines, and then most factions being updated with their response to their theme. For example if priest was the theme for 2020/21, then most factions supporting gods could get a new priest model and/or prayers or prayers mechanics in a book like the Psychic Awakening. Not all would fit the bill, and giving priests to all would be boring but could be an interesting idea.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Overread said:

Remember giant might not mean a big model, it might be that the new light aelf army is going to be a giant in terms of the number of new sculpts/models added/returned to the range. GW has been steadily boosting the numbers of models they add to new armies over the course of the release of 2.0. From Daughters of Khaine who have about the smallest range of model kits; through to Ossiarchs which have a very respectful number of kits (not counting Stormcast who got an insane glut of kits). 

Best thing of Ossiarch release and a trend we have seen in the recent books is that every kit has its own purpose. You may not like it, or prefer other tactics but every unit has its own niche. 
If we compare for example with Legions or Beasts of Chaos, many models, much redundancy and even where something would not be redundant a terrible warscroll erased the model. 
That’s the trend I hope they will continue to keep. From high aelves I would expect an all-round army with infantry, archers, cavalry, mages and flying units. Balance in rules and model details will be important but all precedents look extremely encouraging.

Edited by alghero81
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Still-young said:

Orks have claws, and the watch and binoculars look imperial not Orky. I think it might be Catachan. 

the bulging muscle doesn't seem very human to me though looking at it a second time, I do agree the binocs look Imperial. But why redo Catachan when us Guard peeps have been asking for literally anything else besides Cadia/Catachan plastic sculpts...

9 minutes ago, Aryann said:

I really appreciate how GW communicated Spiky Aelves months before their release. They did same with Sisters of Battle. It's more honest approach towards us, their clients. 

Yeah, it's always helpful to get a heads up for a major release. I was going into the new year needing to decide (after finishing up KO) to prioritize Seraphon, Wanderers/Cities, or make room for Hysh Aelves.

With this announcement I am free to shelf the Wanderer project for now and focus on clearing the rest of my backlog to get ready for Hysh Aelves.

I know it's not AoS, but can your complaints... Goblin Gaming have randomly just got in another 150 copies of the Sisters of Battle box set

https://www.goblingaming.co.uk/products/adepta-sororitas-sisters-of-battle-en?utm_source=Goblin+Gaming+-+Newsletter+%26+Deals&utm_campaign=80f20d5796-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_04_20_08_56_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3a05b8a766-80f20d5796-233764049&mc_cid=80f20d5796&mc_eid=1e6fd094e3

I'm guessing other stores might have as well, but damn this is going to be a tense 5-10 minutes as I try to justify buying this to myself and then figure out where I'll hide it in the house (since the usual hiding place already contains Feast of Bones and needs to accommodate Aether War too at the weekend...).

EDIT: SOD IT, BOUGHT IT! and because I'm actually a grown up I told my wife first, well, ok I asked her permission first. I mean come on... despite all appearances to the contrary I'm not actually a total idiot.

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

8 minutes ago, JPjr said:

I know it's not AoS, but can your complaints... Goblin Gaming have randomly just got in another 150 copies of the Sisters of Battle box set

https://www.goblingaming.co.uk/products/adepta-sororitas-sisters-of-battle-en?utm_source=Goblin+Gaming+-+Newsletter+%26+Deals&utm_campaign=80f20d5796-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_04_20_08_56_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3a05b8a766-80f20d5796-233764049&mc_cid=80f20d5796&mc_eid=1e6fd094e3

I'm guessing other stores might have as well, but damn this is going to be a tense 5-10 minutes as I try to justify buying this to myself and then figure out where I'll hide it in the house (since the usual hiding place already contains Feast of Bones and needs to accommodate Aether War too at the weekend...).

BAD! I'm having to resist sisters too! Mostly because I really can't justify them (unlike you my Feast of Bones is taking shape as models - albeit slowly). Sisters will have to be an end of the year project if I start them. 

edit - you know considering that wayland and a few others have also had some stock of this set, but GW central hasn't. I wonder if some big scalper bought hundreds from multiple stores/distributors and then hit their limit and has refunded the lot. Thus suddenly resulting in a spike of boxes at the distribution level not at GW HQ. Hence why all these 3rd parties can suddenly get a lot of stock of them. 

• Sad 1

On 1/4/2020 at 12:50 PM, Clan's Cynic said:

Something just occurred to me about that Wrath of the Everchosen cover. Archaon on foot?

Might be we see an option for that, as well as a 'new' model, especially since the art is almost identical to the old Games Day model from Storm of Chaos (of him on foot that is).

Screenshot_20200104-073122__01.jpggd2004ArchaonF.jpg

You might be on to somethign here...

Thumbing through the Slaves to Darkness book, and in the Legion of the Everchosen allegiance abilities and Varanguard warscroll Archaon's referred to as a bolded keyword, and his warsroll's titled ARCHAON THE EVERCHOSEN in the same way as a LORD-CELESTANT ON DRACOTH, implying there could be a different version on the way... 🤔

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

You might be on to somethign here...

Thumbing through the Slaves to Darkness book, and in the Legion of the Everchosen allegiance abilities and Varanguard warscroll Archaon's referred to as a bolded keyword, and his warsroll's titled ARCHAON THE EVERCHOSEN in the same way as a LORD-CELESTANT ON DRACOTH, implying there could be a different version on the way... 🤔

There is literally I could wish for more than this. Archaon has been one of my favorite characters ever since I got into warhammer as a kid some 13 years ago (and I wasn't even playing WoC back then) and I'd love to play him, but in no way can I stomach the new Dorghar. 

• Like 2