The Rumour Thread

You always see posts claiming / speculating that KO or Idoneth sold badly and are unpopular. It's because they are the two armies, other than Stormcast (who no one can rightly claim as unpopular), which most represent Age of Sigmar as it is now compared to how WHFB used to be. They have the two most extreme designs which would never have fit in with the old game. Trolls and bitter WHFB players want to hate on these two armies for that very reason.

However, if you look at how successful AoS has been over the past few years I doubt either of them sold badly. In fact they are both almost certainly more popular and profitable than several WHFB armies ever were. 

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Trolls and bitter WHFB players want to hate on these two armies for that very reason.

Kharadrons were one of the armies that got the least hate from WHFB players, since as discussed above, Dwarfs always had a technological kink and "WHERE ARE THE AIRSHIPS?!" was frequently said before it went boom. Although as Double Misfire says, the designs between AoS and WHFB's airships are different but the gist of it is there. The most negative I heard about Kharadron models is that they were closer to Squats than fantasy, owing to the suits and masks and that wasn't an opinion exclusive to WHFB players.

Then again I suspect this post is just another of your "slide in a poorly disguised jab about WHFB" posts so whatever.

Kharadron were popular with collectors/painters, but you rarely saw them on the table. A mixture of consistently poor rules and being an absolute nightmare to transport don't help. You'd see a lot of WIP pictures of people painting them though. It always seemed like one of those armies everyone wanted to collect but didn't.

Deepkin seemed to get tones of hype and then just drop off the face of the earth in my experience though. Not sure why. Maybe people hyped up LOVECRAFT ELVES(!!!) too much and didn't get what was anticipated/wanted.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 3

Lets not also forget that KO are quite a small army in terms of model diversity. This can set them back in being popular for some people to collect. 

Myself I disliked the first wave of Genestealer cults models. They weren't bad, they were just not all that interesting on their own. Plus their one vehicle at the time really stood out on its own as odd, esp when the whole rest of their army was mostly "It's an Imperial Guard model with a cult symbol on it". 

When the second wave hit with bikes, buggies, more leaders and units and such that made me like them far far more. Now the army was more than a bolt-on or a small themed force. Now it was an army with tiers of units; specific roles, a unified appearance and design etc.... KO have a unified appearance, but are not highly diverse in model range. It's not bad for them but nothing like the choices and variety you get with an army like, for example, Slaves to Darkness or Skaven. 

Of course smaller armies can be very interesting for others who want a smaller, simpler army to build. So its not all a negative. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chikout said:

I noticed that the aether war box set is limited to 2 per order. Has that always been the case?

They've been doing it for some of the orders - I think its GW's move to try and curtail some of the scalpers who would order big volumes just to break up into ebay sales for profit. I think it also helps their back-end when someone commits to an order on day 1 of 10 boxes and then later cancels which messes up GW's ordering system (suddenly there's 10 or 20 or however many boxes available when the stock technically ran out days ago).

Sadly a lot of "pro" scalpers will use multiple accounts and legions of other little tricks. Eg they might own a block of flats and place an order for multiple "flats" knowing that all the boxes will come to the same central post box system. Sometimes even just using a different name on the address portion, but keeping everything else the same can let you "Fake" order on multiple accounts (and that's even if GW's system tries to detect the same address and order/payment detailed used on different registered accounts - otherwise they might just need  a handful of different email addresses). 

Scalpers are a problem, they drive up sales for Gw, but at the same time they sap sales from actual customers. With GW doing more of these "limited" products now its a risk that scalpers could grow in impact if GW doesn't take steps to try and curtail 

2 hours ago, Icegoat said:

Every other battlebox release last year sold out within an hour. I hardly think it likely GW just over produced this particular battle box out of all the others. The tzeentch side is also very lacking in interesting options but tzeentch far outsells KO. 

This post could not be more wrong, on pretty much any level.  Certainly has not been "rejected by the fan base". Quite the opposite in fact.

Laughable.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Then again I suspect this post is just another of your "slide in a poorly disguised jab about WHFB" posts so whatever.

I liked lots of thiggs about WHFB lore, but the game was broken and the community beyond toxic. While there are some people who will say they enjoy both WHFB and aos, there have been so many salty WHFB players constantly trolling and wishing for the demise of aos for years now. 

So yes i want to see WHFB and its remnants die out from aos so I can enjoy the game we have. 

52 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Deepkin seemed to get tones of hype and then just drop off the face of the earth in my experience though.

They are fairly common at tournaments. Not one of the most popular, but far from the least. I know quite a few people who have bought the army, but not as many who play them. 

There is always plenty of chatter in the idoneth fb groups. 

• Like 2

Mod Notice

Ok lets leave the whole who hates who more of AoS Vs Old World behind. That's not a topic for this thread and honestly its not a positive direction to take in a discussion on the site. Both are valid game systems, some people enjoy one or the other some enjoy both. Lets agree to let each like their own game and lore systems and move on to focusing on what we enjoy. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

I liked lots of thiggs about WHFB lore, but the game was broken and the community beyond toxic. While there are some people who will say they enjoy both WHFB and aos, there have been so many salty WHFB players constantly trolling and wishing for the demise of aos for years now. 

So yes i want to see WHFB and its remnants die out from aos so I can enjoy the game we have. 

And there's plenty of salty AoS players who cheer for anything historically related to WHFB being squat'ed, even at a cost of those players.  

Good thing WHFB will be doing the opposite of dying out now, eh? 

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Lets not also forget that KO are quite a small army in terms of model diversity. This can set them back in being popular for some people to collect. 

Myself I disliked the first wave of Genestealer cults models. They weren't bad, they were just not all that interesting on their own. Plus their one vehicle at the time really stood out on its own as odd, esp when the whole rest of their army was mostly "It's an Imperial Guard model with a cult symbol on it". 

When the second wave hit with bikes, buggies, more leaders and units and such that made me like them far far more. Now the army was more than a bolt-on or a small themed force. Now it was an army with tiers of units; specific roles, a unified appearance and design etc.... KO have a unified appearance, but are not highly diverse in model range. It's not bad for them but nothing like the choices and variety you get with an army like, for example, Slaves to Darkness or Skaven. 

Of course smaller armies can be very interesting for others who want a smaller, simpler army to build. So its not all a negative. 

Maybe I'm bias through the lens of a Fyreslayer player, but I never felt like Kharadrons had that small of a range, even if it wasn't big. Their main issue is only having one Battleline. Most people aren't tournament players who want to spam a single unit, so having literally one option is a real bummer but I'm just preaching to the choir on that point I'm sure. 

My take is that Kharadron seem like  an experiment caught between the middle of AoS' early releases and the later, larger ones. They don't have the absurdly tiny range of Fyreslayers, but they're not a large-scale release in the vain of Deepkin or a 'WHFB fleshed out' range like Daughters of Khaine. They were also the first AoS army to receive sub-army rules as well I believe? But not the amount of later Battletomes closer to AoS2.

They and Fyreslayers really do need a GSC-esq expansion though. That much did do wonders for increasing it's playerbase, even if it's still the smallest playerbase of the 'core' 40k armies. Part of me wonders if we might see a Dwarf Soup in the same vain as War/Mawtribes in the future considering the fluff hinting at a much stronger alliance between the various Dwarf groups. Kharadron getting a standalone book now probably sinks that theory mind you.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

KO 11 unique kits (not including Underworld Warband)

DoK 6 unique kits.

The only reason DoK "appear" not as bad as, say, Flesheaters, is that most of the DoK kits have duel builds and their Cauldron kit has multiple leaders and build options within it. However they still lack any cheap single leader box and they still have a very limited range. 

Honestly there are a LOT of AoS armies which have small ranges and have clear room to add more stuff. We just have to be patient and hope GW releases more for what we want. 

Just now, zilberfrid said:

Kharadron's rules have been improved, now it's just the ridiculous € per gramme of plastic holding me back (holding me back a bit, at least)

They had one of the better Battleforces last (last?) year. Hopefully we'll see it in, gulp, eleven months. I bought Aether War but I intend to let the Kharadron half gather dust until I'm better with an airbrush. I don't want to imagine ruining all those large, flat balloons with visible brush strokes.

2 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

They had one of the better Battleforces last (last?) year. Hopefully we'll see it in, gulp, eleven months. I bought Aether War but I intend to let the Kharadron half gather dust until I'm better with an airbrush. I don't want to imagine ruining all those large, flat balloons with visible brush strokes.

Well, by that time I was not yet into Warhammer, I only started in May, and I think only StD was left by then. We'll see.

1 hour ago, mikethefish said:

This post could not be more wrong, on pretty much any level.  Certainly has not been "rejected by the fan base". Quite the opposite in fact.

Laughable.

KO is one of the reasons I finally broke my 'dislike" for AoS.  When they (along with Deepkin) were released I finally saw the brilliance of making a high fantasy setting where you can do crazy things.

I do miss my old school Dwarfs but am extremely happy with the Old World announcement.  So im sitting here with my cake (ale) and eating (drinking) it too.

• Like 6

Despite being a massive Ogre fan, having collected them as an army twice back in the WFB days, that Hunter model is really meh, not terrible but a real let down to me personally.

I will normally buy anything Ogre related but may have to pass on that model. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Golgfag said:

Despite being a massive Ogre fan, having collected them as an army twice back in the WFB days, that Hunter model is really meh, not terrible but a real let down to me personally.

I will normally buy anything Ogre related but may have to pass on that model. 

I get what you mean, I think he is a cool ogre miniature. Hell as a Manester I’d be pretty pumped. But that there is not what I’ve come to love about Ogor hunters, Where are the mounds of pelts, bones, shaggy beard and scars. The detail is very good, and I absoloutley love the Gnoblars  and Sabretusk, infact I’m miffed there aren’t more Sabre Tusks.

941EE2DD-3FCB-4A7B-AA73-7DF3BF3B6FA5.png.69bdaa8884716e790c44c2ea3d212299.png85ACD268-DFFB-41BC-B34D-30E2D3562FD9.png.3955ef400fd28c5e9c8c4ee087f8807d.png

Hysh Elves and Teclis as A God is just too tempting.

Edited by Kronos
  • Like 2