The Rumour Thread

If you look at the major releases for AoS over the last few years pretty much all of them have had trailers, hints and hype generated over a period of time before the actual reveal of the model range. It would be uncharacteristic of GW to buck that trend and announce a brand new army out the blue. So I think the best we can hope for is a trailer or hint of what the next big faction will be.

That said if tomorrow, a ticketed event rather than a single preview seminar, contains nothing but SoB models we've all seen, an Underworlds warband and probably a single kit for Tau I will be disappointed. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PaniuBraniu said:

Probably it was pulled back from one of GW stores. Certain products have limited shelf life in their stores. They didn't bother to remove the sticker.

Yeah, the sticker looks identical to the 'Last Chance to Buy (in-store)' section of my local GW. It probably just means it's going Mail Order Only and they didn't bother to peel it off.

That’s the kurnothi cat from the basic Beastgrave box.

Still, this was the release I was most excited about, far more than any new army. Will be interesting to see how the model looks, there’s a fair bit of variation in the art we’ve seen already. Presumably he’ll be closest to this.

Looks more like regular goblins from the art than gnoblars though, as with the cards we’ve seen.

It seems that the other cat might be swapping huge sabre over bite for under bite instead. It wouldn't be the first time we saw some variation in the interpreation and creation of a new version of a model. Remember that the Underworld Warbands are all characters not grunt troops, so there's room there for a character warcat to be different from the regular models - perhaps a mutation or unique breed or a rarer offshoot. 

Ossiarchs only came out a couple of months ago, whilst the last major release for AoS before the Gloomspite reveal had been Second Edition five or so months ago. I wouldn't expect anymore than the Lizardmen Battletome and maybe a very vague initial teaser for whatever is coming next.

Oh, and presumably the missing Warcry/StD stuff.

8 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Ossiarchs only came out a couple of months ago, whilst the last major release for AoS before the Gloomspite reveal had been Second Edition five or so months ago. I wouldn't expect anymore than the Lizardmen Battletome and maybe a very vague initial teaser for whatever is coming next.

Oh, and presumably the missing Warcry/StD stuff.

Didnt one of the rumor mongers hinted at 4 Battletomes in the first quarter?

We can split hairs about release schedules, certainly we've gotten big drops in quick succession before, like Dok-Deepkin, or Stormcast/Nighthaunt releasing alongside 2nd edition. but I think the best argument in regards to a new army reveal is that GW almost never drops a brand new army out of nowhere, with no advertising/hype buildup. So getting some kind of teaser for a new army is very possible, a full on reveal, highly unlikely.

Battletomes like KO/Tzeentch that they've been throwing out twice a month for all of 2019, sure. Those usually get announced more or less in one go, but honestly, we're just out of those now except for Seraphon, and that's assuming that the faction they've pushed all the way out to the back of the line is getting a minimal update. Maybe, maybe not.

27 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Yeah I know. And the other one? Because the leaked picture with the ogor warband hasn't the same  kittie (diferent fangs and lion shape).

Art variation. There are a few freelance artists who do the work for UW, well in advance of the actual warbands being released or even sculpted, meaning that despite them often hewing to the models, the designs don’t always match and sometimes show pretty different looks. 

If you check the cards that show the ogre hunter so far, they vary quite a bit from this image. He’s got long hair, a moustache and no hat in one that came with either the base kit or the ghouls.

In this case, the artist most likely was told to do a sabretooth style beast and no one went back to change it to match the existing GW creature design. When this card was previewed it did raise the question of if GW were going to change that design to this but given that there’s now quite a bit of art (including box art) showing the traditional mohawk and lower jaw tusks design, this one looks like it was simply a standard bit of art inconsistency.

11 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Didnt one of the rumor mongers hinted at 4 Battletomes in the first quarter?

The only remaining Battletome is Seraphon; so the other options are a completely new army, or they're going to update the remaining pre AoS 2.0 armies (Maggotkin, IDK, Daughters, and LoN).

Then what for the current armies? Another new set of Battletomes?

GW could release a new army in March so that would fit into "4 Tomes in the first quarter".  It would give them January and February to hint at and setup some of the rumour and lead up to a new army. Plus the Light and Shadow Aelves have been very strongly/directly hinted at for quite a long time now (Ossiarchs were not even hinted at until the 4 videos that were shown - even then the real details about them didn't come out until very late). If the release and info came out very late march and into April that would be a pretty decent chunk of time since Ossiarchs. 

Another option would be big updates to armies with 2.0 battletomes. The "Smaller" armies like Flesh Eaters or Fyreslayers could be updated with half a dozen new models and that would be enough to spark need for a new Tome without too much anger being caused for gamers (esp if they release an expansion Tome and if its mostly just adding new models and a few refinements) 

Maybe, maybe not. The ogor cards that are a bit diferent have still the same ogor in it (same headgear, just a diferent or more dinamic style). Even the cloths are similar (like the fur on one shoulder). In this case it's a bit more strange. One has white fur, the other seems black. One seems to be a panther, the other seems to be a lion. The fangs position are compeletely diferent too.

Not saying that you are wrong, but It seems strange.

Edited by Beliman

Unrelated to tomorrow or new releases I have a conspiracy theory about these two pics. rumor-engine-9-3-2019.jpg

rumor-engine-9-17-19.jpg

I believe that one is the top end and one is the bottom end of an embaillor pain staff. 

What is an embaillor I hear you ask? It's an idoneth deepkin beast master who breaks the sea monsters that the akhelian ride. They are noted for using pain staves for this purpose. 

Here is my theory... 

1) Embaillors are mentioned frequently in the idoneth battletome. 

2) There is a short story "The Learning" specifically about Embaillors. 

3) They also appear in the new Idoneth novel. 

4) When the Idoneth came out they mentioned other models / designs for future. 

If you look at these rumour engine pics there are hints they could fit idoneth. The metal tassle attachments match those pictured on the thralls https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Namarti-Thralls-2018 and on the soulscryer https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Idoneth-Deepkin-Isharann-Soulscryer-2018

If you look at the second pic it could be a trident in shape with a tentacle design. The part that looks like a chain hanging off could be deep sea pearls. 

I believe the embaillor model design was completed ages ago and that's why we get so much detail about them in the written lore. I think it was specifically held to be a release as part of a box set like the other small heroes we see. 

As such I guess that in mid to late 2020 we will get a battle box with idoneth, a new embaillor hero, endless spells and a new battletome. 

Anyway this is probably ****** but was quite fun putting it together as a theory. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

The images from the Kharadron battletome on the NZ website show art of a female arkanaut, helm off. I don't think there was anything in particular in the previous battletome or other background sources that said this was impossible but it's nice to see.

There's a story in the current Novella series that has two female dwarves in the KO. It's presented as being perfectly normal to the point where they can rise through the ranks to captain ships and admiral fleets. I don't believe one is on the actual council in charge of a KO Sky-city, but its never presented that such would be impossible. Ergo they are the equal of their men. For Dwarves this is quite interesting because they are typically VERY steadfast in their culture and traditionally women were not part of the front lines. Fyreslayers seem to keep closest to the "Old" Code that we might see and the Dispossessed seem to currently - though we've not really heard all that much about them.  

KO appear a bit more gender neutral in the division of labour and of what role a woman can play within their society. It's a neat change that further makes the KO stand out against the other dwarves (and I'm sure if/when Gotrek encounters women dwarves fighting he'll have a lot to rant about the old-ways*)

*it should be noted that Gotrek fought alongside many women in the Old World and never really showed a problem with it, but they were humans not dwarves. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Unrelated to tomorrow or new releases I have a conspiracy theory about these two pics. rumor-engine-9-3-2019.jpg

rumor-engine-9-17-19.jpg

I believe that one is the top end and one is the bottom end of an embaillor pain staff. 

What is an embaillor I hear you ask? It's an idoneth deepkin beast master who breaks the sea monsters that the akhelian ride. They are noted for using pain staves for this purpose. 

Here is my theory... 

1) Embaillors are mentioned frequently in the idoneth battletome. 

2) There is a short story "The Learning" specifically about Embaillors. 

3) They also appear in the new Idoneth novel. 

4) When the Idoneth came out they mentioned other models / designs for future. 

If you look at these rumour engine pics there are hints they could fit idoneth. The metal tassle attachments match those pictured on the thralls https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Namarti-Thralls-2018 and on the soulscryer https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Idoneth-Deepkin-Isharann-Soulscryer-2018

If you look at the second pic it could be a trident in shape with a tentacle design. The part that looks like a chain hanging off could be deep sea pearls. 

I believe the embaillor model design was completed ages ago and that's why we get so much detail about them in the written lore. I think it was specifically held to be a release as part of a box set like the other small heroes we see. 

As such I guess that in mid to late 2020 we will get a battle box with idoneth, a new embaillor hero, endless spells and a new battletome. 

Anyway this is probably ****** but was quite fun putting it together as a theory. 

I gotta agree that those tassels look identical too me. This seems like a very plausible theory.

Edited by Nighthaunt Noob

13 hours ago, Gecktron said:

onlytheapp.PNG.2ff0af365b0a5d653367f901698f6390.PNG

Only the app. The Webstore should have the new rules when pre-orders go up in NZ. 

13 hours ago, Neffelo said:

That's kind of annoying that they just don't update the app as well now. 

13 hours ago, JPjr said:

well the point is that for the week between the pre-order going up and the new Battletome/Warscrolls/Points/Rules etc being officially available to everyone and 'in use' people playing with their armies under the old Battletome/Warscrolls/Points/Rules etc can still play with current army whilst using the app. 

12 hours ago, Neffelo said:

I guess that makes sense at least, though I think it's still a bit annoying. 

It shocks me that Warhammer Community doesn't do a pre-order day post saying "Check out all the updated warscrolls" with direct links to all the updated warscrolls. It's zero effort content that people dig through the site to read. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

I'm preparing myself to hear no AOS specific news today. We have two battletomes up for preorder today, and the LVO preview coming at the end of January. Today's AOS entertainment will be man reads book.

We will see the new Underworlds warband, maybe the last warcry warband and hopefully a vague trailer for a new army, but hopefully clear enough that we have a rough idea what direction the new army will take.

I would be suprised if we will see more than the above for the Fantasy side of the hobby.