The Rumour Thread

28 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

If you are ok with an inferior product for quantity, I dont know what to tell you.  they released half a dozen books that have such crazy difference in power level to other books. Its either blatantly writing rules to sell models and then nerf later, or just put incompetence on the rules writers side of things with a complete lack of oversight by the play testers. Or maybe they are apathetic and just don't care. I dont know which option is worse.

You point to StD as a balanced book.. except for the game breakingly broken command ability. "Oh but they will FAQ it.." give me a break. It should have never made it passed an editor with even a basic grasp of the rules of the game.  Another one is so bad there is a twitter campaign to shelf the army by a hobby content leader. FEC winning 80% of their games (backed up by statistics.. not opinion FACT) for several months was "fun." 

I think you are blind if you think the content they released in 2019 was up to the quality of books they have released in the passed. It was bad. Plain and simple. 

I don't disagree with any of this but is it that different from other years other than volume? I remember buying my Maggotkin battletome only to have it followed by Legions of Nagash and Daughters of Khaine. I think the release rate has drawn more attention to power discrepancies, most notably with MawTribes and Bonereapers being released on the same day with a box set together. Massive power discrepancies and straight up incompetent or nonexistent editing and playtesting is sadly par the course for GW. That said, I do feel rules are getting clearer and they are getting better at fixing things via FAQs on the whole.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

there is a twitter campaign to shelf the army by a hobby content leader

You know what I know there’s still half a day to go but I’m calling it, beating off some stiff competition this is the funniest thing I’ve read on here in 2019.

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Deepkin said:

Its a grail. Bretonnians confirmed!

:D

But on a slightly more serious note, all the Grail Knights and Damsels did go somewhere. Is it possible that Tyrion and Teclis found their souls and mingled them with the elven souls they rescued from Slaanesh? They were the favored beings of an elven goddess, after all.

Hysh elves as Elftonnians confirmed, calling it now.

This would be so cool. As others have said it also kind of makes sense based on the Fey Enchantress having been an elf in disguise all along.

My angle, Teclis and Tyrion realised they couldn't just make new elves after the Idoneth turned up corrupted. Then they got made an offer by the Fey Enchantress to mix the rescued elf souls from Slaanesh with the virtuous souls of the Brettonians. This balanced out the flaw of the Idoneth and allowed the creation of new elf like beings formed into knightly orders.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Still-young said:

The grail made me think Blood Angels which I initially dismissed due to the fantasy look of the scabbard, but someone on Bolter and `Chainsword posted these which are from the Sanguinary Guard kit, and now I’m not so sure it isn’t BA. 

1E758A6C-C395-46D4-9B4C-FF8C5C28FFF4.jpeg

While similar, the scabbard is really similar to the old High Elve ones. The thing at the bottom is most likely a gemstone, something often seen on elven designs. 

2 hours ago, HollowHills said:

hey have one of, if not the, best battleline options in the game. It's not a tax to include something you absolutely want in every single list. 

Just a pet peeve, I suppose, but no army's battleline is a "tax." You have something more akin to a minimum purchase. The difference, of course, that is often overlooked when the word is misused, is that when you pay a tax on something, you get nothing for it. You buy a $10 item and get that item. Then you pay a tax of, say,  $1 on that purchase and are simply out $1 with no additional items in your shopping bag.

When you are required to spend points on two battleline units, you pay the points and get those units. Your "shopping bag" has those units in it. It's not a tax. It's actually the purchase. Maybe Buy-in Cost would be a more accurate term?

I get that "tax" is a convenient word, but just because a word is short/easy to use doesn't make it right. If I started calling a "commute to the job site" as the "lunch line" just because it's shorter and both things are annoying wastes of time, I'd be wrong in my description of the commute. 

And, once again, stop loitering on the grass in front of my home. 😉 🙂

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Just a pet peeve, I suppose, but no army's battleline is a "tax." You have something more akin to a minimum purchase. The difference, of course, that is often overlooked when the word is misused, is that when you pay a tax on something, you get nothing for it. You buy a $10 item and get that item. Then you pay a tax of, say,  $1 on that purchase and are simply out $1 with no additional items in your shopping bag.

When you are required to spend points on two battleline units, you pay the points and get those units. Your "shopping bag" has those units in it. It's not a tax. It's actually the purchase. Maybe Buy-in Cost would be a more accurate term?

I get that "tax" is a convenient word, but just because a word is short/easy to use doesn't make it right. If I started calling a "commute to the job site" as the "lunch line" just because it's shorter and both things are annoying wastes of time, I'd be wrong in my description of the commute. 

Stop being a nerd 😂

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Dunno how delusional you lot have got to be to see a sword with a grail icon, I'm only getting a gnawed bone with a couple of nails in it 🤷‍♂ 😉

What are you blabbering about now? Bone and nails? Sounds like you've got some kind of Orruk weapon in your hands not a fine bit of high grade craftsmanship that we can all see.

Now stop worry about it and have some wine and ham from the feast table 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

This would be so cool. As others have said it also kind of makes sense based on the Fey Enchantress having been an elf in disguise all along.

My angle, Teclis and Tyrion realised they couldn't just make new elves after the Idoneth turned up corrupted. Then they got made an offer by the Fey Enchantress to mix the rescued elf souls from Slaanesh with the virtuous souls of the Brettonians. This balanced out the flaw of the Idoneth and allowed the creation of new elf like beings formed into knightly orders.

This! I was waiting for Seraphon to get some new models (new badass toad anyone?) but the thought of Bretonnians makes me so happy haha. This would be an instant buy from me as long as the models were cool. Now if there was an awesome Tyrion/Teclis model on the scale of Morathi I will be a Happy Panda.

12 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

Stop being a nerd 😂

Ha! Yeah, I get ya. It's just that words matter. Which ones we choose and how (and how often) we use (or misuse) them can impact our conversations and perceptions. Ten different words that all mean essentially the same thing may exist for a particular thing, but the difference from one to the next may be the connotation, for instance. That's already tough enough to get right when trying to convey meaning, but when you start using an actually incorrect term to describe something? Well, that's when things go wonky and make it needlessly difficult to understand a conversation or just simply bring negativity to a thing when it doesn't need to.

"Tax" is a good example. Very, very few people actually like taxes. I think most of us would agree that taxes are seen in a negative light due to many factors, including the lack of getting anything in exchange for paying them.

When you take this inherent connotation and use it in conversations about the battleline units you must add to your army, you begin the discussion in a negative place - a negative place that is not even accurately describing the topic!

Edited by Sleboda

2 hours ago, madmac said:

That there sure looks like an elf weapon. The little symbol I don't think is one we've seen before.  All in all, looks like a Hysh Aelf to me.

ZE GRAIL..... in seriousness my pessimism( i mean I've been waiting for an update since'04) says it's probably a blood angels, sisters of battle or some other space marine sword. then again this may be GWs year of the fleur de lys armies return for all i know.

I'd partially rather not get an update though as I have a 4 month long project of hysian humans using bretonnia models and I feel like the realm might become a little less flexible to interpret soon(not that it can be too much in a setting where Giant mechs, Kaiju, Pikemen and naked dudes with axes all coexist)

Just now, Evangelist of Cinders said:

ZE GRAIL..... in seriousness my pessimism( i mean I've been waiting for an update since'04) says it's probably a blood angels, sisters of battle or some other space marine sword. then again this may be GWs year of the fleur de lys armies return for all i know.

I'd partially rather not get an update though as I have a 4 month long project of hysian humans using bretonnia models and I feel like the realm might become a little less flexible to interpret soon(not that it can be too much in a setting where Giant mechs, Kaiju, Pikemen and naked dudes with axes all coexist)

To be fair, they did release re-imagined Tomb Kings just a few months ago with Bone Reapers. It's not unthinkable that they would replace Brettonia in some (likely very different) form.

As for Blood Angels, it's hard for me to imagine a Primaris marine holding a sword/sheath with as narrow proportions as the rumor engine has. It looks almost exactly like a High Elf weapon, which is why the combination with a grail symbol is so intriguing to me personally.

Just now, madmac said:

It's not unthinkable that they would replace Brettonia in some (likely very different) form.

that's part of my personal  tragedy,  spending time trying to re imagine brettonian minis in AoS only to have GW just make them. I  wouldn't be upset at a cavalry army though.

With how much of the product line they seem to be some times I feel like guessing space marine for every rumor engine is almost the safest bet

31 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Words meanings change based on context and common usage. No one says you shouldn't call something "cool" just because it isn't physically icy to the touch. 

In games something you have to include which restricts your choice is frequently referred to as a "tax". It communicates the meaning well enough as a cost you have to pay out of your points budget. 

It can come across as very pedantic to pick people up on their words like that. I have an MA in English by the way. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Deepkin said:

Its a grail. Bretonnians confirmed!

:D

But on a slightly more serious note, all the Grail Knights and Damsels did go somewhere. Is it possible that Tyrion and Teclis found their souls and mingled them with the elven souls they rescued from Slaanesh? They were the favored beings of an elven goddess, after all.

Hysh elves as Elftonnians confirmed, calling it now.

I had the same thought!