The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

The KO rules look much better from the preview. From the wording about warscroll changes I reckon they realised they slightly mucked up the original KO release and have done a big rework.

They fixed a lot and added many cool mechanics. Re-deployment for ships, frigats as battleline, shooting out of ships are all pretty cool.

The new Aether-gold mechanic looks promisiong as well. I just looked up Triumphs, there is some good stuff there. Being able to take other Duardin (probably like CoS) is also nice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

GW makes great models, and their business is doing well. Nobody disputes that, and to imply that they can do no wrong because their stock price is high is... well, I don't want to get rapped on the knuckles for being impolite. The fact that there is such a seemingly scattershot approach (and without any sort of explanation as to why) to which armies get which updates is what drives frustration. 

Just because you dont see a pattern or logic doesn't mean there isnt one.

GW dont release things on the basis of fairness , "whose turn it is to get stuff" or anything of the sort, nor have they ever. For the 20 odd years I've been in the hobby I would say they've actually probably reproduced more existing content than they have invented new stuff-usually all the same game systems , army books , factions just getting updated or added to. The past year has been positively absurd in respect to the amount of new stuff they've brought out and balancing they have done in respect to their own history. They said they would bring out tomes for pretty much everyone and they've done it. They didnt once say all factions would get the same treatment, bells and whistles, that they would be balanced or anything of the sort though.

Regardless , GW dont exist to make every collector and hobbyist happy and content with their favourites. They serve the interests and tastes of the majority, which by and large dont change, which in turn makes them rich. Just like Disney with the Marvel and Star Wars licenses. There is an alchemy in owning a Universe like GW does and they know what to do to turn their ownership of it into gold.

That will always be the only pattern in play for army updates, new games and systems etc. Its not separate to new releases or updates etc- it's the precise reason for any of them. GW exist to make money. That's it. Dont expect anything more and your realisations or expectations will never be dashed. I'm not saying it like it's bad either. They make toys, really cool toys, toys that we all love, and that GW loves too, and that's great for all involved. But lots of other companies have made great toys too and that wasnt enough because they didnt have the savvy to pay the Bills to keep it going. GW knows what keeps it alive and it taps into it and rarely messes around with it, that's all there is to it. 

Edited by Nos
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Ooh, when did they let a typo slip through in the title of a book? I must have missed that one!

I still see one for sale on their site (compare the title on the spine of the book to the title on the front of the book).

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Warcry-Core-Book-ES-2019

Image result for "ibro basico" warcry

Edited by Zanzou
  • Sad 2

Rumored price of this box is 145€, on par with feast of bones, then probably 115£.

I'm disapointed as it is really a hight price. For me, the tzeentch part is put down because of the flying daemons. (I don't like those minis and I feel they don't fit with the tzaangors...but maybe the rules will help a bit to swallow this)

5 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

But 2019 was a poor year for the quality of their content. They put out twice as many books for Age of Sigmar as the previous year and the majority of them had basic grammatical errors, spelling errors, contradicting rules, rules that are unclear, unuseable etc.. A book cannot be considered "released" until 2 weeks AFTER waiting for a FAQ... which sometimes is incomplete itself or requires another FAQ. Why would I buy warscroll cards when the information printed on them is no longer current 2 weeks after?

That's a touch hyperbolic, in several instances.

I get that some folks may not be pleased with every release, but to say the majority have the listed issues, and that warscroll cards are out of date after two weeks is inaccurate.

There are hundreds of those cards, and maybe a handful are in need of adjustments. That's just to refute one exaggeration. 

I am not suggesting GW should be let off the hook when they make mistakes in what they print, nor is this to suggest they are not making mistakes here and there, but let's try to be fair, eh?

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Nos said:

Just because you dont see a pattern or logic doesn't mean there isnt one.

Can you see one? Can you point it out?

This is such a bloody irritating topic to engage with when the response is always along these lines. "They make lots of money so it's all fine." Lots of things make lots of money. That is not an indication that they couldn't be better, or even that they are good at all. 

I feel like hoping for parity of releases- or at minimum, some communication about why it seems like some people's toys get all the fun- is setting the bar really low, but apparently a lot of you guys will just lap up whatever you get.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

Rumored price of this box is 145€, on par with feast of bones, then probably 115£.

I'm disapointed as it is really a hight price. For me, the tzeentch part is put down because of the flying daemons. (I don't like those minis and I feel they don't fit with the tzaangors...but maybe the rules will help a bit to swallow this)

Not long to wait until we find out the price and warscrolls.  Ultimately not all box sets are going to appeal to everyone.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

This is such a bloody irritating topic to engage with when the response is always along these lines. "They make lots of money so it's all fine." Lots of things make lots of money. That is not an indication that they couldn't be better, or even that they are good at all. 

I feel like hoping for parity of releases- or at minimum, some communication about why it seems like some people's toys get all the fun- is setting the bar really low, but apparently a lot of you guys will just lap up whatever you get.

FWIW, and not speaking for others, I am not saying any of the things you've ascribed to me, directly or otherwise.  Most especially, I am not saying that "make lots of money" means that "everything is fine." Clearly that's not the case. There are many wealthy people and businesses who are not worthy of any sort of praise at all.

My initial post was specifically aimed at (and worded carefully to counter) the idea that GW doesn't know what they are doing. They are highly successful (in many ways - I opted to use financials and investor confidence as my "in" this time), and that stands as evidence against them not knowing what they are doing.

Note, please, that this is not the same thing as saying they are perfect, that we should accept errors, that money is the only measure of success, or any of the other reactions that overstate or mischaracterize my remarks.

Edit: Trust me (or go read my many comments on this forum to this effect), when GW botches a book or other product, I consistently believe that the consumer is owed a replacement for the defective item, be it a miscast or a gross error in rules.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

apparently a lot of you guys will just lap up whatever you get

It's not really a question of lapping it up; if I don't like something I simply won't buy into it.  GW produce enough stuff that I do like to keep me enjoying the hobby and as long as they do that, I'm not going to use up too much time haranging them over stuff I'm not going to use.  I may be disappointed or annoyed, I may well make some comment to that effect, but I'm not going to work myself up over it, as all that does is prolong my own annoyance.  I want my hobby to be a positive and enjoyable experience.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kirjava13 said:

Yes , I can  it's the one I've explained at length.  Make lots of products that you know will sell.  Bring back older stuff that customers have told you will sell in enough numbers to justify it and hype them up over years of development to ensure they do. Try some more fringe stuff. If it sells well, add it to the make more pile. If it dosent, make sure the new stuff is more like the stuff that already sells when you try it next time. That's manifestly GW's business model and the rationale on which things are released. 

And yes lots of things in the world make lots of money but in this hobby, most things actually dont, certainly not to the degree required to simply maintain GWs infastructure and massive running costs let alone turn a profit, so to have an IP and system that makes good money is more than reason enough to stick with it actually. 

I never once said the system is great, or makes the most sense or cannot be improved upon, did I? So you can chill out on that front. That's your own frustration speaking. Dont put words in my mouth.

Rather, dont confuse your own hopes and aspirations for what GW should release with anything they themselves claim. It dosent matter if you want parity or not as GW have *never* claimed they will offer it or prioritise it so your insistence on that isnt coming from them. You want it sure, but those are not expectations based upon anything other than what you want  and  certainly not on what GW itself says.

The flip side of saying some laps it up for choosing to spend their own money on a product they are in no way what so ever compelled to buy is that people are acting like children for not getting what they want, based on nothing other than a sense of entitlement. It "should" be fair, everyone "should" get the same. Why? Because it's what you want, ultimately, and that's all there is to it. I want more toys, GW should make the toys, it's not fair I dont have the toys I want, it's not an excuse that they have a business to run because I want my stuff and they should meet my needs. 

Edited by Nos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I know, right? I mean, their stock price has only doubled in the last year. Geeze! I wanted a 5x return on my investment but only doubled my money in a year. Clueless!

/s

Come on, guys. GW is the top of the heap in hobby gaming and are succeeding on just about any front you can measure. Them not releasing what you want when you want it does not make them clueless. Their growth and the confidence of their investors say more about them than the lack of a product here and there.

In fairness, GW could produce a book kept together by raw sewage and especially if it had 40k and a Space Marine on the cover, it would shift thousands of copies.

GW is largely at the top of the heap because it's in a rather unique bubble when it comes to consumers that 99% of those who start wargaming begin with GW, particularly in the UK owing to it's high street presence. In a hobby that is very expensive to begin with, and by the time people start looking into other games, most will look back at their hundreds/thousands of pounds spent and as many man hours, and stick with what they've been going at for this long. It's a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy where none wants to 'risk' playing other games because of the investment required, so they only stick with GW. It's how they manage to somehow have one of the most vocally negative, unhappy fandoms but turn such a profit rather than having others go elsewhere.

Remember 2015? GW stopped just short of having employees spit in your face with every purchase, but they were still pulling a profit (albeit a shrinking one) at their worst.

Anyway, getting back on topic. The value of Aether War for me is definitely going to come down to how much I could flog the Tzeentch half on Ebay for. There's definitely some irony that in an airborne themed box, the 'Sky Privateer' faction had to had to be doubled down on what boxes were included (Riggers).  Part of me hopes the Sky Combat rules get 'ported (ha) over to the General's Handbook, because whilst they might not be appropriate for every faction, it would be nice to have them on more than a pamphlet in this one boxset.

Whilst I'm always wary of GW's Faction Focus' hyping things up as THIS IS THE BESTIST THING EVER LIKE OMG IT WILL REVOLUTIONISE THE ARMY, I'm loving what I've read so far about Fly High and Garrisoning. It's just the sort of thing Kharadron players have screamed and expected from 1.0. Having airships act like airships rather than low-hovering IFV's will be fantastic at least thematically.

I'm curious about Barak-Thryng though. They definitely seem to be moving in the direction of letting more Battletomes take 'native not-allies' rather than making it Cities of Sigmar's unique schtick. Dwarf Soup here we come, and it smells delicious.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 11:12 AM, MitGas said:

Well, they'll release him in a few months for sure by himself.

I mean, we have six battlebox models that haven’t rereleased, and it’s approaching a year from some of the original boxes. Archregent, Bombardier, Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig, Archrevenant, Ogor Tyrant, and Vokmortian. The last two are pretty recent so I will discount them, but it’s been a long wait for the other four.

On 12/29/2019 at 11:55 AM, ManlyMuppet88 said:

I’m actually really pleased that KO don’t appear to be getting endless spells - Duardin don’t cast spells! Khorne never should have got them either.

I’m not a KO collector though so I can still see how it might sting a little.

I'd rather have the boats become awesome then get spells terrain. From the look of the leaks so far that is likely to be true. If the boats can actually become true gun boats with the embarked troops shooting and fighting, and jumping around the board at will, well that seems too good to be true.

15 minutes ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

I mean, we have six battlebox models that haven’t rereleased, and it’s approaching a year from some of the original boxes. Archregent, Bombardier, Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig, Archrevenant, Ogor Tyrant, and Vokmortian. The last two are pretty recent so I will discount them, but it’s been a long wait for the other four.

Hopefully releases for them is just the kind of news we might get at New Years reveal event. 

31 minutes ago, Overread said:

Hopefully releases for them is just the kind of news we might get at New Years reveal event. 

I doubt it, the boxset models are not really a news worthy item to be mention at a reveal event especially for thing that have been reveal already in the past

stuff like those are randomly announce on a preorder next week article and usually done by WarCom.

even my GW store manager has been asking about them and apparently their hold up or something going on with them.

• Like 1