The Rumour Thread

8 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

Really? Are they going to change the warscrolls when the points got update one week before?

Unlikely, but we've not seen all of the points changes yet.  In truth I have a feeling that some of these changes got released before they should have - previously we've always had a "big bang" approach where everything is released at once.  I imagine that the release date got changed a few times and didn't get updated on some of the uploaded documents.

9 hours ago, Peter (Age of Miniatures) said:

I doubt we have seen the last point changes for this round, maybe the rest will be further out. 

I have been compiling my own notes throughout the evening and the 4chan screendump fits with what I have. There seem to be some contradiction between Azyr app and the Japanese pdf-leaks, so we will see once the technical dust settles.

I will be updating the points as I go along here (which should be easier on the eyes than grainy jpg's):

https://ageofminiatures.com/points-changes/

really helpful thanks. I don't think Arkhan has gone down in points though from what I can see? Think it was just Nef and Manny

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kasper said:

They might not have to change warscrolls at all. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a change to:

• Locus of Diversion, so it goes off on a 3+ from Keeper of Secrets and 5+ on the other heroes.
  • Change to how depravity points are gained
  • Change to the cost of summoning or the way summoning works (maybe increase costs or can only summon 1 unit like Khorne, then rest of the points are gone.

Those kind of changes can just be FAQ'd since they are alligiance abilities.

Well I got 2 out of 3 right 😄

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/55c2cd0c.pdf

• Like 1

Could be a new Chaos army, or could be a new Chaos Champion. 

Chaos as a grand alliance is pretty well stocked with models plus its native design is VERY flexible in terms of alliances within the faction. Far more so than Order because a lot of allied units can gain abilities from the battletome they are allied too. A Slaves to Darkness army on its own is a very different beast to one with Hedonites; likewise a Hedonites army can change a fair bit if they bring in allies from Tzeentch and then from Slaves to Darkness.

Honestly I'd rather see Slaanesh expand its force diversity than see Chaos gain another army under its banner.

That and honestly barring the two hinted at Aelf armies for Order; I'd say that Death and Destruction are more worth adding new forces too as they are the smaller grand alliances. Death has had a pretty good run so far of course, with Nighthaunt and Ossiarchs added. There's very clearly room to add a Vampire force to Death and to flesh out the Flesh Eaters (hehe pun!) with a few more models. Heck I bet FE are a bit of a sore point for GW in terms of finances because its a faction that pretty much only sells through its discounted start collecting set. They even encouraged it by letting you take a full army of 6+ large dragon/terrorgast models so players can keep getting those discount boxes and still retian use of all the models within them. 

Not sure how I feel about it really. They've only increased the costs of units to summon with Depravity and not actually changed anything with the mechanic itself. Whilst this might tame the power curve that depravity generates in games it still leaves Slaanesh as an army which internally still just wants to take leaders; still just wants those 3 keepers and still just wants to summon more leaders. 

That's the bit I'd really like GW to address - not removing depravity just making it so that playing other styles of army with Slaanesh doesn't feel like you're taking an interntional "weaker" force possible with the book. 

edit - it also still leaves the issue that a skaven army with 1 wound models gets an easier time than a stormcast army with all multiwound models because of how depravity generates off wounds but not off kills. Again that Skaven army is going to have an easier time because the slaanesh force can't generate as much depravity - plus the slaanesh player has even more reason to take keepers with their multiple wounds. Meanwhile the stormcast is going to generate many times more depravity because of their army basically almost all being multiwound models. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Overread said:

Not sure how I feel about it really. They've only increased the costs of units to summon with Depravity and not actually changed anything with the mechanic itself. Whilst this might tame the power curve that depravity generates in games it still leaves Slaanesh as an army which internally still just wants to take leaders; still just wants those 3 keepers and still just wants to summon more leaders. 

That's the bit I'd really like GW to address - not removing depravity just making it so that playing other styles of army with Slaanesh doesn't feel like you're taking an interntional "weaker" force possible with the book. 

My issue with increasing the point costs is that Slaanesh will "just" summon 3 Keepers in the matchups where they harvest it like crazy instead of maybe 5. Against armies with pure 1 wound models they will struggle even harder with summoning in units. The depravity mechanic is flawed imo since it's really black and white. Either they gain massive amounts or they gain next to non. 

And agreed this does nothing to the internal balance of wanting as many Keepers as possible or just flat out heroes. If anything it just encourages players even more to always max out on heroes and max Keepers to meet the new summoning requirements. 

Edited by Kasper

10 minutes ago, Overread said:

Yeah, while I think this is a fair nerf on the tournament scene, I think GW are missing the problem for Slaanesh players. We want to be able to use our troops without feeling like we're not playing the army properly. I really like the new Slaves models, but I feel we can't use them as a full force without hurting the effectiveness of our army considerably.  

Yep raising the costs only doubles down on the importance of taking all leaders to the Slaanesh player. It might curb some of the powercurve with the army in some match-ups; but its not actually improved the internal balance of the Battletome. It's a huge shame; GW made those outstanding fiends and has some fantastic models like the chariots yet taking an all chariot force or an army with lots of demons and fiends is just no where near as potentially powerful as an army of keepers all generating loads of depravity to call on more.

I actually worry that we might not see any change to thus until such time as Slaanesh comes around again for model releases. I can't shake the feeling that GW made depravity like it is to specifically "force" gamers into buying lots of the new leader models only (esp the keepers). As if Slaanesh players needed an excuse to buy into more models. Sure sales were likely poor  before the new Tome but that was very much likely a result of years of being ignored to the point where people were seriously debating if GW was going to drop Slaanesh as an army. 

7 minutes ago, Kasper said:

My issue with increasing the point costs is that Slaanesh will "just" summon 3 Keepers in the matchups where they harvest it like crazy instead of maybe 5. Against armies with pure 1 wound models they will struggle even harder with summoning in units. The depravity mechanic is flawed imo since it's really black and white. Either they gain massive amounts or they gain next to non. 

And agreed this does nothing to the internal balance of wanting as many Keepers as possible or just flat out heroes. If anything it just encourages players even more to always max out on heroes and max Keepers to meet the new summoning requirements. 

AoS is a game to take and maintain objectives... with the new costs I think it's a bit crazy go full-heroes... the hordes are very common in my local meta.

And of course, Slaanesh trying to win OBR is a dream now.

Edited by Nezzhil

The fyreslayer changes- is it me or does that actually make Hearthguard better? I get the intention was probably to stop people spamming them, but would it not have been better to remove the horde discount altogether (maybe adding one to the vulkites instead)? 

• Like 2

Another round of weird half measures for most armies, although I do appreciate the locus nerf to Slaanesh, as that was just way too powerful. The summoning nerf is odd, while I can't help but approve of Slaanesh getting taken down a peg, I do not think just increasing costs is the solution, as the mechanic is just so broken, it hardly helps against hordes, but is just impossible to deal with when playing armies like Ironjawz  or Stormcast with only multi wound models.

Odd changes in many places, although most are for the better, it is a strange small selection. Gits only getting spider reductions but nothing for Dankhold Troggoths? LoN still having Graveguards at 140? Stormcast getting 40 point reduction  on dracolines, but nothing on the worst units like liberators, the paladins or dracothian guards? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Azamar said:

The fyreslayer changes- is it me or does that actually make Hearthguard better? I get the intention was probably to stop people spamming them, but would it not have been better to remove the horde discount altogether (maybe adding one to the vulkites instead)? 

haha 20 is plenty survivable and 60 is still 1200 pts but with more tactical flexibility is suspect

• Like 1

From a HoS player's pov most the army hits like tissue paper and a warm summer breeze ravages your ranks. The locus nerf makes any hero not a greater daemon unusable aggressively. The hike on depravity means you have to take the KoS or you won't generate any depravity at all, since the other models have low wounds, low dmg, and unlikely to be around long enough to summon off of.

This is exactly like the hike on points for witches it just makes the only viable build the build everyone hates to play against. 

Despite the complaining about HoS, the army basically only does what it's been doing. Nothing else really has any rules, there are only 2 CMD abilities in the book and one is locked to a special character who needs to be the general. 

Obviously I get why people thought that HoS needed a nerf but they already were going to trend closer to 50% with their current ruleset against the books that came after them. 

Anyway it's just another constraint to build with at the end of the day . I'm sure I'll come up with something by the time the holidays are over. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Lol.

They already have a boat, though...

The pattern on the prow is interesting, it reminds me a bit of the Waystone looking Rumor Engine a while back, and it's slightly different from existing Idoneth Deepkin designs.

It does honestly look like an endless spell though, judging from the relative size of the barnacles it's pretty small, and you've got what looks like either a water or magic dribbly bit off the bottom there.

OTOH, it could just be a piece of an elven ship lashed to a Goblin Sky Pirate ship or something to that effect.

Edited by madmac