The Rumour Thread

26 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

The Abilities seem decent, there‘s no broken combo at all that comes to my mind

Broken? perhaps not, but just looking at the Everchosen I can see some tasty stuff in Varanguard of the 7th circle getting +1 damage on the charge and also fighting twice. Getting the mindstealer sphinx into the mix would not be a bad idea, is it forces the enemy to strike last until the next battleround. Archaon himself and a chaos lord to use fight again CP as well and we get a nasty elite list I think.

Sorceror lords also hand out reroll saves as an ability and their spell is reroll to hit and wound... yea use that on archaon, fight twice, reroll everything. Support heroes do not really get better than that.

Just now, Scurvydog said:

Broken? perhaps not, but just looking at the Everchosen I can see some tasty stuff in Varanguard of the 7th circle getting +1 damage on the charge and also fighting twice. Getting the mindstealer sphinx into the mix would not be a bad idea, is it forces the enemy to strike last until the next battleround. Archaon himself and a chaos lord to use fight again CP as well and we get a nasty elite list I think.

Sorceror lords also hand out reroll saves as an ability and their spell is reroll to hit and wound... yea use that on archaon, fight twice, reroll everything. Support heroes do not really get better than that.

The Sphinx honestly looks like hot trash (depending on points). I don‘t know about the varanguard circles but their base profile is just bad for 300 pts

3 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

The Sphinx honestly looks like hot trash (depending on points). I don‘t know about the varanguard circles but their base profile is just bad for 300 pts

the sphinx is a 10 wound beasty for 100 pts, not really fighty but has a -2 bravery aura and in the hero phase you pick an enemy unit, hide a die and your opponent hides one with a number, reveal them, if they are not the same, the enemy strikes last until next hero phase. That is pretty good for 100 pts, it is super fast too.

Varanguard circles is from the everchosen legion and the 7th circle you can choose gives varanguard +1 damage on the charge, they can also still choose to fight again once per battle built in their warscroll. On the charge, just by being in an army with archaon without any other buffs or even marks considered, that is around 2x15+ damage average vs 4+ saves, more or less obliterating whatever they ran into.

In effect they can hurt as much on the charge as 2 mawkrushas or mangler squigs, for a 300 point unit.

Edited by Scurvydog
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

the sphinx is a 10 wound beasty for 100 pts, not really fighty but has a -2 bravery aura and in the hero phase you pick an enemy unit, hide a die and your opponent hides one with a number, reveal them, if they are not the same, the enemy strikes last until next hero phase. That is pretty good for 100 pts, it is super fast too.

Varanguard circles is from the everchosen legion and the 7th circle you can choose gives varanguard +1 damage on the charge, they can also still choose to fight again once per battle built in their warscroll. On the charge, just by being in an army with archaon without any other buffs or even marks considered, that is around 2x15+ damage average vs 4+ saves, more or less obliterating whatever they ran into.

This sounds much better! Thx ^^

2 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

So the absolutely ancient foot Marauder kit didn't get the chop, nevermind remained a unit in the book, but things like Dwarf Warriors and Quarrelers/Thunderers did...

...okaaaay then, GW. Did you just pick units to squat out of a hat now?

You should know that the age of kit wasn't the reason as modern kits like Skycutter were also dropped. It was rather redundancy. Marauders fulfill different role to Warcry warbands so they weren't removed.

• Like 2

Just now, michu said:

You should know that the age of kit wasn't the reason as modern kits like Skycutter were also dropped. It was rather redundancy. Marauders fulfill different role to Warcry warbands so they weren't removed.

Eh, CoS may be a large book, but it wasn't exactly overloaded with flying chariots.

Redundancy gets thrown around a lot in regards to CoS, but it doesn't work as any kind of a  consistent logical explanation for the specific units that were removed. Marauders don't have any distinct role from Warcry Warbands either, they're both just mostly naked Chaos Barbarians/Cannon fodder sold in boxes of 20. Except that Marauders seem to be generally stronger now with the new rules.

A much more likely explanation for at least some of the  CoS cuts is that they didn't see any reason to hang on to 90% of  the old High Elf kits when they knew they'd be replaced soon enough with Hysh Aelves, which at this point seems likely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, madmac said:

A much more likely explanation for at least some of the  CoS cuts is that they didn't see any reason to hang on to 90% of  the old High Elf kits when they knew they'd be replaced soon enough with Hysh Aelves, which at this point seems likely.

That too, But redundancy could still be a reason - how many foot infantry you exactly need? And GW wanted you to build mixed army so something had to go. 

So, I think the main reasons things were dropped were:

- redundancy,

- Hysh Aelves,

- encouragment for a mixed army

- and maybe just a luck of idea how to fit that particular kit into the army.

You could always try to ask @bottle on twitter as he was the main designer of this book (not saying that all decisions were his).

13 minutes ago, BarfAtTheMoon said:

All of the changes for slaves to darkness that now only affect mortal slaves to darkness units puts another nail in the Beasts of Chaos coffin.  Oh, well.

Beast of Chaos have their own 2.0 Battletome. So it makes sense that the Slaves to Darkness benefits slaves over other model ranges for their own internal abilities. 

• Like 1

It's nice that it makes sense.   The BoC "2.0" book has suffered from powercreep up to this point and now the only ally they can take is basically useless to them, so you can see why I would lament the loss as a player of said army.

The new Slaves to Darkness book looks great, and the abilities therein are great.  I'm happy for the players that chose that army, but not for my less-than-6-month-old sorcerer lord ally conversion, which will now be sitting on a shelf.

I was expecting the new StDs battletome to be like CoS or LoN, with a lot of warscrolls from various chaos factions compile in a single book with specific allegiance abilities,  after all they are supposed to be chaos undivided.

I really thought that it was going to be the case after seeing that artwork with bloodwarriors alongside maggotkins in the post about StDs lore from warhammer community.

Well I was wrong, I am happy for them to have a new book and updatded warscrolls but I am a bit disappointed, it feels like a miss opportunity. 

• Like 1

Slaves have a big roster of models on their own. Dont' forget in the past with Chaos armies it was basically Slaves and demon allies whilst the Demons needed all four allied together for a single army. So Slaves needed quite a wide roster of models; which they've retained through AoS.

Right now the individual Demons also now have wider rosters and can field armies on their own; so it stands to reason that with them able to stand on their own more there's less uniting between them in terms of keywords. It lets Slaves be Slaves with all their own unique quirks rather than a few mortals backed up with demons. 

7 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

Before initial thoughts, there is the pre-initial thought which is "don't take anything before you get a better scope of the whole thing". We don't have yet the bataillons, relic, stuffs that synergize the army etc... But I just bought the new SC and the ES just because I want them to modernize my StD army (and I want this new chaos lord on beast)

Having seen the allegiance abilities I think that they are ok, but nothing which really stands out as significantly boosting the overall power of the army. There are some nice ways to buff the daemon prince, but his points went up by a lot and even fighting first in combat and fighting in the hero phase the total damage isn't that high. Especially when you compare to similar units such as GKoTG and KoS. Personally I think this battletome might prove to be a bigger boost for Khorne and Nurgle than STD themselves. 

Marauders seem like the most reliable unit for damage in the battletome. 

Looking at the new chaos warriors warscroll a multi-part kit must be a given now? They still have standard bearer/horn blower and multiple weapon choices. I can't see them going through the trouble of making new models and still force youto use 20 year old models in the same unit to atleast get the standard bearer/horn blower.