The Rumour Thread

It introduces some basic lore, like most preview articles its a teaser of what is to come without spoiling the book content. 

It notes that the Slaves to Darkness outnumber the Cities of Sigmar; that the Slaves view Sigmar and his ilk as those who abandoned them during the Age of Chaos (which is fair, Sigmar DID run away to hide for 500 years - whilst most of the other gods also hid/died so yeah there was 500 years of no help whilst chaos tore through the realms). 

It also tempts you with details of the author of the stories in the book. They could have put more in, but at the same time GW would rather you went and bought and read the book .

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I like the tidbits of lore they showed us so far.

The only thing I really don’t like is the Battletome cover-image

Yeah, I didnt liked it back when the Everchosen book came out. I would have prefered something else. 

Speaking of art, I really really like this one:

c53402fe.jpg.556a5d9ebfb6c0f2462c440fa43d6cd4.jpg

The twisted mirror version of classical "angelic host" drawings. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PaniuBraniu said:

It was inspired by the indo-european myth of the wild hunt, not angelic something:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt

I dont want to completly de-rail the rumor thread so just a short reply:

Sure, that can also be an inspiration, but angels pouring out from the heavens is also similar and could have been another source of inspiration.

25cb8f7b8a8785c86d352c73bae2fe06.jpg.46d797eb6c9a1e460457688a4d44b63f.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, PaniuBraniu said:

It was inspired by the indo-european myth of the wild hunt, not angelic something:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt

This is true but the artist probably drew inspiration and references from multiple sources as is usually the case when creating an illustration such as this, so including an image or two of your classic angelic host painting as references isn't such an out there idea. It definitely does seem like they did pull from them at least a little bit.

29 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Yeah, I didnt liked it back when the Everchosen book came out. I would have prefered something else. 

Speaking of art, I really really like this one:

c53402fe.jpg.556a5d9ebfb6c0f2462c440fa43d6cd4.jpg

The twisted mirror version of classical "angelic host" drawings. 

Lot's of the early AOS artwork are pretty awesome in my opinion. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

Someone in the STD/Chaos thread said they heard 300 pts. for Varanguard.   I'm guessing that means Archaon is probably now something like 800+ pts. So 9xVaranguard (900), Archaon (800+), and Gaunt Summoner (say 160ish) gets you close to 2000.

BTW, this sucks for me. I bought 15x Varanguard and Archaon  a few months back before the announcement , and they all had fit under 2000 pts under the old book. I knew it was a bit of a risk. But I didn't think I'd lose the ability to field 6/15 of them.   Now what do I do? I have 3xblack 3xblue 3xred 3xgreen and 3xpurple. I drop the black and purple? I suppose I can swap in the appropriate color if Archaon can still mark them in-game.  That's a hell of an expensive luxury though.  

I wouldn't worry too much just yet. On the stream yesterday they played a 2000 point game including 6 varanguard and Archaon. They also said 5 chaos warriors are 100 points now. The same list at current points comes 1820 points. 

So if the  new Varanguard are 300 points then new Archaon is 740. So you should be able to fit 12 varanguard and Archaon in a 2000 point army and have points to spare for a CP.

Ben Johnson's list probably includes a battalion. 

4 minutes ago, xking said:

The only problem I have with the art, Is the ridiculous amount of lightning bolts. GW needs to stop  reducing the "heavens" down to lightning bolts. 

Tell the Storm King to stop sending his weakling Stormcast into battle then! All those bolts are his troops fleeing battle as their forged bodies fail under the might of "insert name of great foe" 

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Tell the Storm King to stop sending his weakling Stormcast into battle then! All those bolts are his troops fleeing battle as their forged bodies fail under the might of "insert name of great foe" 

Tbh I would like to see less Stormcast and more 'normies' to represent the good guys, like Cities of Sigmar models.

How good would new CoS models be.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, xking said:

One of the latter and early best.   

igor-sid-41-celestant-prime.jpg?1530296490

That‘s a bit too 40k angelic (mini-Angels everywhere) though I like the artist‘s style.

I‘d prefer if they drew less inspiration from Christianity since Christianity is in my opinion stale as hel (thx to every horror or mystery movie being about the classic devil, angels, god, god, god, god 🤢🤮, Jesus and all the other uninspired Apokalypse plots).

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, xking said:

You forgot to capitalize your G's and are you telling me that the god of the fantasy Holy Roman Empire and King of the realm of Heaven, With an army of angel paladins who fight against batwing horn demons, Takes some inspiration from Christianity? Kind of late.

Also cherubs can be found all over the Greco-Roman era. 

Actually Sigmar has more with Odin and Thor in common than with any Christianity nonsense. They should focus on that.

edit: I don‘t capitalize redundant, insignificant, dated overused terms xD

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, xking said:

As someone who read the lore, he's a god of the fantasy Holy Roman Empire, his faithful built churches and cathedrals, he has Saints and reliquaries, he has priests and theologians. He has an army of Paladin angels. Let's not be ridiculous, Sigmar is a Gestalt being that takes multiple themes it puts them together. It's fine to disagree, but try not to be offensive.

I wasn’t offensive (only towards religion) and I don‘t disagree, I am aware that he is a combination of several real-world religions and or factions, yet imo I‘d prefer a bigger focus on the Nordic aspect. =}

15 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I wasn’t offensive (only towards religion) and I don‘t disagree, I am aware that he is a combination of several real-world religions and or factions, yet imo I‘d prefer a bigger focus on the Nordic aspect. =}

That was the Ulric part. Now deceased. 
I think 40k does the grimdark Catholicism a whole lot better. But many people like Stormcast the way they are.  To each his own.

Edited by Beastmaster

lads, lads, lads. whilst I fully appreciate that today's beefing has taken on an hitherto rarely seen theological bent can I just say that you're all wrong and can I interest you in this obsidian stele on our one true lord and saviour, Sotek. 

none of your primitive monkey god business and all rodent offerings happily accepted.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6