The Rumour Thread

5 hours ago, Inquisitorsz said:

It used to be hidden behind a 220pt battalion (most expensive non-mega battalion in AOS?) with a minimum army cost of 1320... it wasn't a problem before, presumably because it never saw the tabletop at a competitive event. 

But, yeah it seems super strong. You're basically eliminating any disadvantage of the priority roll for the chaos player. You know your double turn is coming, and can be appropriately aggressive or you know your opponent is getting it, so you can pull back or be defensive.
It does cost a command point so that's something I guess..... 

The opponent doesn't even get to chose to pass priority to you. You can't either but that's hardly a downside with the foreknowledge.  

finally... what happens in a mirror match if both players use this ability? does the later one simply overwrite the first one? 

The practicality of it also bothers me. , how do you roll it, keep it secret and make sure no one cheats? maybe a dice cup and leave it covered? But I feel that has to be properly policed/mandated coz it's such a critical roll and has such a significant impact on the game. 
It's a lot of extra bookkeeping or equipment required to try and do something secret fairly. 

One point I want to make.. you CAN reveal it. So if you do not get your desired result from the secret roll you can leave it up to the dice and things progress as normal.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Túrbóbelja said:

One point I want to make.. you CAN reveal it. So if you do not get your desired result from the secret roll you can leave it up to the dice and things progress as normal.

That just gives the chaos player another option. More choice and more control. 

But by that stage you've already played your turn and you've presumably played around with getting priority or not so I don't think that extra option changes much 

56 minutes ago, Inquisitorsz said:

That just gives the chaos player another option. More choice and more control. 

But by that stage you've already played your turn and you've presumably played around with getting priority or not so I don't think that extra option changes much 

I sounds like it is very locked away behind a very elite army build. I doubt it shows up very often unless varangaurd get big buffs.

Soooo the twitch preview of the Slaves to Darkness battletome just mentioned that each of the four StD subfactions has an associated short story written by none other than Aaron Dempski-Bowden, presumably on the model of the Josh Reynolds stories in the Cities of Sigmar battletome.🙂 I think this is his first AoS stuff but considering he 'gets' chaos so well... I'm excited.

Some other notes from twitch:

- Warcry warbands not battleline as they're not the majority of the hordes compared to the undifferentiated marauders/warriors, they're still fighting for their place

- Archaon has rend -2

- Meant to be varied, could be Archaon, a gaunt summoner and nine varanguard (roughly 2000pts apparently, implying points changes), or like 200 marauders

- Varanguard can now pick a mark and be included in Blades of Khorne, etc

- Mindstealer Sphyrinx originally from Hysh

- Idea was that these new Warcry monsters would fit better into StD whereas things like the cockatrice fit better with Beasts of chaos. If it's in the dark forests, it's with BoC, if it's lurking around the Eightpoints, it's with the StD

- Despoilers: all about the gribblies. Daemon princes, spawn, monsters, "poor old Belakor"

- Background pulls a lot on old WHFB background, "a love letter to the old Warriors of Chaos and Hordes of Chaos, and right back to the old Realms of Chaos books", "30-odd years of lads in big armour going around and smashing the good guys". Focus is mainly on the path to glory, the road of the champion, as the defining 'thing' of the battle tome. Different directions a champion can go in though, unlike the one-track Maggotkin/Hedonites/etc, so while the champions in an army might still be jostling for position, there's room for more differences, e.g. different gods.

- By that same token, the aura mechanic is meant to put the focus on warbands, i.e. here is a champion devoted to this god, their aura will help 'their warriors', the followers who swirl around them and share their mark. A StD army is a mix of these smaller clusters of units/heroes, makes for a lot of synergy and layering up of buffs.

- Tried to make sure that StD would integrate with the monogod forces, ruleswise. Even within StD, idea is to be comparable with Cities of Sigmar in that there's supposed to be many varied builds.

- Difference between chaos in Aos vs 40k? Idea is that in 40k chaos has always lurked in the EoT, sort of in the margins, denied by the imperium, until the great rift. In AoS, chaos won. They were the normal for centuries, even now push far enough from the fortified cities of order and you'll encounter them. If you were one of the uncounted tribes who were effectively abandoned by Sigmar, why not turn to these gods? You would then be in the effective majority, making a reasonable response to living in the mortal realms.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 13
  • LOVE IT! 1

Disappointed the warcry warbands aren't battleline, but not surprised. At this point I'm kinda hoping the rules stay the same for them with no added synergies so I'm not tempted to pick up any more boxes. 

The point changes for the everchosen stuff sounds... Drastic. You can currently fit 12 varanguard, archaon and a gaunt at 2k with 120 points to spare. Really that's what I was hoping for, the models are so expensive they really needed a points hike to justify the cost. As long as that comes with a significant boost in power in going to be extremely happy. Also picking a mark for the varanguard should pretty much guarantee a purchase for me. 

6 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

The point changes for the everchosen stuff sounds... Drastic.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of that is just Archaon getting a big boost, powers & points, putting him around the same level as Nagash, kinda makes sense.

1 hour ago, JPjr said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of that is just Archaon getting a big boost, powers & points, putting him around the same level as Nagash, kinda makes sense.

Yeah wouldn't be surprised, but even if they up him to 800 points there's still room to bump the varanguard to 300 each and fit in 2000.

I guess we'll see, 800 has to be incredibly difficult to balance especially with all the potential synergy from the different marked armies so I'm hoping he stays similar to now. At 800 he'd have to get something bonkers like auto kills from the slayer of kings or something.

Edited by Grimrock

Honestly I'm surprised both that GW didn't make the Warcry units battleline and that Marauders are still in the game. Seems that GW wanted to keep both and have them compete even though the former (warcry) are vastly superior sculpts in almost every way. Not being Battleline could hurt them, esp as AoS is generally quite "expensive" point wise for units to get into the table. Even if we ignore super-pricey stuff like Archaon and the Varanguard, there's still a lot of high points stuff in Chaos and most of the other armies.

Not being Battleline might hurt them a lot because Warriors and Knights (likely battleline) are always expensive, whilst Maruaders sort of fit the same slot mechanically. 

It's a shame, but I don't think it will stop the Warcry stuff appearing; it just might weight it even more toward "mostly Iron golems" since they do have the best saves (far as I recall). And overall in this game these days a good save is often better than many other aspects when it comes to pick and choose.

Then again Slaves to Darkness is almost a Grand Alliance army in all but name since they can, practically, draw models from the whole Grand Alliance save for Skaven (who are in Chaos but almost totally off in a corner doing their own thing and heck you can bet if a 5th Grand Alliance appeared it will be the Great Horned Rat Alliance ;)) 

I've heard that there's a few models not yet released in the book. Considering that GW still hasn't released the Skaven and Flesh Eaters models from the start of the year I think GW is less mad about including things in battletomes/codex that aren't yet on retail sale. I think so long as its in their system and will hit retail "soon" they feel ok. 

I think the "no model no rules" was more for things that were appearing in codex and battletomes over and over and never getting models for years and years. Tyranids had a load of special monsters which appeared for a good long while but never got a model. Of course many converted their own, but in the end GW pulled them as they clearly didn't have them in the pipe-line. 

It makes sense honestly and its surprising it took GW this long to adopt the policy

Someone found another shipping company, this one supplies printing.
https://panjiva.com/Asia-Pacific-Offset-Ltd/28276197

GAME CARDS NO. 309357 TITLE WARCRY CARDS DISPENSER 2 NO. 309369 TITLE WARCRY BEASTS OF CHAOS CARD PACK NO. 309360 TITLE WARCRY OGOR MAWTRIBES CARDS NO. 309358 TITLE WARCRY SLAVES TO DARKNESS CARD PACK NO. 309359 TITLE WARCRY OSSIARCH BONEREAPERS CARD PACK NO. 309361 TITLE WARCRY KHARADRON OVERLORDS CARD PACK NO. 309363 TITLE WARCRY DISCIPLES OF TZEENTCH CARD PACK NO. 309368 TITLE WARCRY STORMCAST WARRIOR CHAMBER CARDS NO. 309364 TITLE WARCRY SKAVEN CARD PACK NO. 309362 TITLE WARCRY TZEENTCH ARCANITES CARD PACKS HS CODE 9504 9080 (17 PLTS STC 462 CTNS) HAVE TREATED AND MARKED IN COMPLIANCE WITH ISPM# 15

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, xking said:

Because  people want to play with their Warrior Chamber models.

I get that, and I didn't mean to sound like people shouldn't get to enjoy their toys; however, Warcry is about speed, and I can't see Liberators and Retributors keeping up. Now if they get Prosecutors in there that could be fun, but it's hard to see what new playstyle the chamber will bring.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Overread said:

I've heard that there's a few models not yet released in the book. Considering that GW still hasn't released the Skaven and Flesh Eaters models from the start of the year I think GW is less mad about including things in battletomes/codex that aren't yet on retail sale. I think so long as its in their system and will hit retail "soon" they feel ok. 

I think the "no model no rules" was more for things that were appearing in codex and battletomes over and over and never getting models for years and years. Tyranids had a load of special monsters which appeared for a good long while but never got a model. Of course many converted their own, but in the end GW pulled them as they clearly didn't have them in the pipe-line. 

It makes sense honestly and its surprising it took GW this long to adopt the policy

The "no model no rules" thing came about because third parties were coming up with their own versions and selling them (some very brazenly, others under a pseudonym) which made it really difficult for GW to secure their IP.

I don't think we'll ever go back to rules for models that haven't been available for 12~24 months, but rules for models that were in a big box and just waiting for to be released individually aren't going to be that unusual.  I'd also hazard the Chaos Lord on beastie may be one of those models (like the Khorgorath) that's only available in a start collecting set for example.