The Rumour Thread

17 minutes ago, Jymmy said:

Call me pessimistic, but I think that making the things monopose will not diminish its price. People were hoping the same during the transition from metal to plastic and turns out that things are even more expensive after the change. The Slaves SC is not cheaper than other non easy to build ones and I’m not sure if nighthaunt are the best example of cheap easy to build, as chainrasp are expensive as hell.

Are they cheap as a start collecting? No. Are they cheap compared to what a box of 10 warriors, a box of 5 mounted models, and a unique hero box would cost? Absolutely. Probably somewhere between a 35 to 50% discount on what 3 boxes like that would cost separately, and other start collectings can't boast brand new, fantastic sculpts.

Edited by Nighthaunt Noob

35 minutes ago, Jymmy said:

Call me pessimistic, but I think that making the things monopose will not diminish its price. People were hoping the same during the transition from metal to plastic and turns out that things are even more expensive after the change. The Slaves SC is not cheaper than other non easy to build ones and I’m not sure if nighthaunt are the best example of cheap easy to build, as chainrasp are expensive as hell.

I think it's just some of the nighthaunt stuff is oddly priced actually. The dreadblade harrows and myrmourn banshees are very cheap compared to similar units. 
The easy to build Reikenor and his stormcast counterpart are a fair bit cheaper than other similar size characters. 
You're right that chainrasps are stupid expensive, but they're almost the same cost as other elite units like bladegheists and reapers (which while not easy to build are mono-pose).   

It's hard to compare units of different size, but a lot of the full kit stormcast units are around $98-105 AUD, while the nighthaunt units are $70-77 ish....  

Pricing is tricky because it also takes into account expected sales.... most chainrasps will come from the soul wars boxes (or from lots of online sellers splitting the boxes out). So the solo box is likely to sell very few units, thus the higher price. It's a bit of a catch 22 but that's probably the only way they can justify having it on the shelf.  

Kharadron are also units of ten and cost the same as nighthaunt, but deepkin narmati thralls cost more.... both are relatively new multi part kits with some options, so it's all a bit weird. 
Fyrelesayers kits a heaps more expensive per model, with 5 man units costing the same as other 10 man units.... perhaps it has to do with expected faction sales? I dunno. 

Anyway, the new OBR Mortek Guard box is a breath of fresh air. While on the expensive end of the scale, you get 20 models instead of 10 like most other boxes these days. 

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

That's not pessimistic. That's just realizing that being monopose is not an element of price determination, which is as it should be.

It can be. One could argue that mono-pose / easy-to-build miniatures are easier to design with simpler molds. Certainly not always they case, but even just nesting things on a sprue is easier when you have 3-4 bits per miniature instead of 15 + spare weapons and heads. 
Those kits are marketed towards new players as well, so having them priced more competitively makes sense. The pricing model for those kits is very different to say something like Archaon or Alarielle or FW products.   
Also, they know full well they can sell dual box kits and kits with lots of spare bits for more because the perceived value is higher. People will buy those kits more often to use for conversions and to kit bash with other products.   

Depending on your point of view, that either makes those kits cheaper because they sell higher quantities, or more expensive because your paying for more bits/value. 
Which one is true depends on which Chaos god is currently walking through Bugmans Bar. 

2 hours ago, Inquisitorsz said:

It can be. One could argue that mono-pose / easy-to-build miniatures are easier to design with simpler molds. Certainly not always they case, but even just nesting things on a sprue is easier when you have 3-4 bits per miniature instead of 15 + spare weapons and heads. 
Those kits are marketed towards new players as well, so having them priced more competitively makes sense. The pricing model for those kits is very different to say something like Archaon or Alarielle or FW products.   
Also, they know full well they can sell dual box kits and kits with lots of spare bits for more because the perceived value is higher. People will buy those kits more often to use for conversions and to kit bash with other products.   

Depending on your point of view, that either makes those kits cheaper because they sell higher quantities, or more expensive because your paying for more bits/value. 
Which one is true depends on which Chaos god is currently walking through Bugmans Bar. 

A mould is expensive to cut regardless of if they’re easy to build or not. It’s not like the monopose/e2b sprues are any less complex or busy than the normal ones, the models are just cut up a different way. I might even argue easy build models specifically might be more difficult to design, as you have to cut the models in a way that allows the pins to hold them together. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Still-young said:

A mould is expensive to cut regardless of if they’re easy to build or not. It’s not like the monopose/e2b sprues are any less complex or busy than the normal ones, the models are just cut up a different way. I might even argue easy build models specifically might be more difficult to design, as you have to cut the models in a way that allows the pins to hold them together. 

Agree on this.  Speaking to sculptors at open days in the past, easy to build kits can often be more complex to design because the pose and how it's cut up are a lot more intrinsically linked than multi-part.

I’m hoping GW will either say that multipart kits are coming next year (they are very clear on this with the sisters) OR confirm te start collecting set is going to be in stock for a long time. I want some StD for my next project, but I’m not nearly done on my current project (ogre warband).

I’d hate to miss out on the start collecting set and then find out there is no other way to get those models. I don’t want to buu a set now, just to have it lying around for a few months and distracting me from finishing something else. 

12 hours ago, Túrbóbelja said:

There are many things we do not know yet. What will happen to the weapon options for knights and warriors? Are we stuck using old warriors for banners and musicians? Will the new lord replace the old? What is the deal with a flail being a weapon option for a lord on foot? Is he on a larger base in today's picture? Will we get more kits in a new year? How will the warcry units mix into the book? What is the cultist keyword? How awesome will Archeon be? How will marks work? Will we get god-aligned battalions? Chosen might remain the same models or not, but aren't they resin? New GW doesn't like resin.

Perhaps they're keeping the old stuff in there (like the Chosen/old warriors) at the start so that those plastic/resin kits get sold before they bring out new Chosen/mp warriors. Which would really ****** potential customers off. :/ That would just make some guys bitter. 

Maybe there's a better reason for it and Chosen will get an upgrade and become more integrable into mono-god lists, y'know as in chosen by their patron. Still, a trickling release for STD units that won't have overlap (as in monopose and new multi-part warriors) is a weird decision. Unless the new Chosen would be so much cooler nobody would ever buy regular Warriors again. 

5 hours ago, Inquisitorsz said:

Two other factors as well.

1. Some folks place extra value on models that require less work to be put in prior to painting & gaming. Count me among those. I would actually pay more to return to a time when models had 2 or 3 parts - the model, the base, and maybe a shield. 

1a. Side note. I actually like all models in my regiments to be identical.

2. Plastic. Metal. Monopose. Multi-part. No matter what material or how many parts, a hangunner is still a hangunner. That's what I'm being sold - a model that serves a role on the table, in the game. It should cost me $X regardless.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, michu said:

SC! sets are not limited releases. They are going to stay.

I am very sorry to tell you this is not the case in this instance this box will only be available for probably an hour max this weekend once the pre orders go live. This is not the same as a normal start collecting 

You will see come Saturday this will sell out very quickly and won't be restocked for a very long while. Ala archregent, archrevenanvt, ogre tyrant, skaven bomber, goblin squig rider etc.. 

25 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Two other factors as well.

1. Some folks place extra value on models that require less work to be put in prior to painting & gaming. Count me among those. I would actually pay more to return to a time when models had 2 or 3 parts - the model, the base, and maybe a shield. 

1a. Side note. I actually like all models in my regiments to be identical.

2. Plastic. Metal. Monopose. Multi-part. No matter what material or how many parts, a hangunner is still a hangunner. That's what I'm being sold - a model that serves a role on the table, in the game. It should cost me $X regardless.

Each to their own but I'm the exact opposite. The hobby, building and high quality of the miniatures is far more important to me than the game. The miniatures need personality. 

If I just wanted identical game pieces on a board or tabletop then I'd just use cardboard tokens or something like boardgames do. 

Side note: I don't believe the game is anywhere near good enough to carry itself regardless of the quality of the miniatures. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Inquisitorsz said:

If I just wanted identical game pieces on a board or tabletop then I'd just use cardboard tokens or something like boardgames do. 

Side note: I don't believe the game is anywhere near good enough to carry itself regardless of the quality of the miniatures. 

I agree with you on the side note. I've never understood why people play Warhammer with the game itself as the biggest draw. The setting and models are far ahead of the game in terms of quality.

A point of distinction on the other, though. I also, like you, want really great models. I just don't think that great and monopose are mutually exclusive. I never, ever, want to play with tokens or cruddy models.

I just find cutting, cleaning, and assembling the models a tedious, frustrating, labors laborious activity that is getting in the way of what I enjoy most (the painting).

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Inquisitorsz said:

Y'know, it would be interesting (in another thread) to see if people could come up with rules that made the gameplay much better than it is. I guess speeding up certain phases would make it more fun but I'm no game designer. 

1 hour ago, Icegoat said:

I am very sorry to tell you this is not the case in this instance this box will only be available for probably an hour max this weekend once the pre orders go live. This is not the same as a normal start collecting 

You will see come Saturday this will sell out very quickly and won't be restocked for a very long while. Ala archregent, archrevenanvt, ogre tyrant, skaven bomber, goblin squig rider etc.. 

Are you trolling? 

I was just about to get into the entire Multpart vs. ETB discussion again, but really, we've had that often enough in this thread and its actually exactly the same people exchanging exactly the same arguments as the last time we've had it about Chaos Warriors. That's not just of topic, it's pointless at this point to boot.

Just gonna say, since its somewhat new, that the previewed Adeptus Sororitas are really giving me confidence MP's will figure into GW's plans for some time to come. The sisters and canoness are just brimming with options and bits of exactly the sort I want to see. I'll propably get quite a few just for conversions and to show that it's the sort of release I want to see.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Icegoat said:

What do you base this on? The models you've all listed there are all models that were within duel army boxes not start collecting sets. The duel army boxes were always limited releases and GW is always upfront about that. The Sisters were also a limited release. The Start Collecting sets for ALL armies have always been long term investments in products that last pretty much until they are replaced.

Yes its very likely that GW could run out of stock when the Slaves goes live, but they won't wait months and months to recast them. It would only be reflecting a very short term stock issue due to abnormally high demand. 

• Like 3

New rumor engine.

image.png.1be126de700eaaa20b07f4f45962c440.png

That's pretty much a tree, yes, but a rather small one. I think it's probably a decoration on a larger model, even something growing off a back or shoulder, kind of like the revenants for Sylvaneth but larger and more elaborate.

I'd be shocked if we got something in the next couple months specifically for Sylvaneth though, so I'll guess Kurnothi, even though this isn't super their style. Orion's old model had some leafy bits, so this might not be totally out of place on a Kurnoth model, maybe even as a base decoration.

2 minutes ago, xking said:

Bro, you and Rogue Explorator have the same face. I thought you were the same person for a minuet.  

Mind-cats be fooling you everywhere! ;)

And yeah that new Rumour Engine looks VERY Sylvaneth. It looks too clean for Nurgle, though there's an outside chance it could be Eldar, but I its not something they are known for. So Sylvaneth! Or possibly a terrain feature.