The Rumour Thread

My main point was about stuff being overdesigned. Getting back to rumors my biggest fear for hysh elves is that they will have loads of extra tat on the models rather than being simple but elegant in a way that a lot of the older models are. 

I like deepkin, but painting them to a high standard was exhausting because of the sheer amount of cluttered small details. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Overread said:

GW isn't making Sisters of Battle as skimpy space-elf women style. They are thick, chunky and muscular and most of their body is covered in thick armour anyway. They've mostly got either helms or cropped hair with a few having a shorter bob-cut. They are going for a religious group of fanatical warrior women. Personally I really love the way they look; they've kept true to the old style whilst advancing it with some new things and some neat 80s style creative madness (stain glass window goggles anyone?!). 

The boxed set is also phenomenal good value from GW, esp as it not only contains all the models but the Codex too! I'm not surprised it sold out as fast as it did. Heck I'd have been in the running if I wasn't snowed under with Ossiarchs and totally out of money (sisters being one of the only two marine forces I could ever see myself building - the other being custodes)

Yeah, I like the depiction. While they still suffer from ridiculous shoulder plates, this is something shared with others in the range. They are not trying to jump onto a sword in bikini armed with daggers (though the Repentia and Arco Flagellants try to make an effort, but these still look apropriately muscled, and fit Flagellants in their dress well enough).

10 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

My main point was about stuff being overdesigned. Getting back to rumors my biggest fear for hysh elves is that they will have loads of extra tat on the models rather than being simple but elegant in a way that a lot of the older models are. 

I like deepkin, but painting them to a high standard was exhausting because of the sheer amount of cluttered small details. 

Yeah, this is a concern as well.

I haven't made much progress on my CoS army with the barrage of other armies I'm interested in, but painting some of the old Wood/High Elf kits is kinda refreshing in their relative simplicity compared to the exhaustion that is painting Deepkin.  I love the idea of Light Aelves but I worry about the models being excessively fiddly/spindly until I've seen them.

The Kurnothi models by contrast I think find a happy medium in complexity of detail, but I have zero interest in Sylvaneth (Love the Wanderer models though) so that's another wait and see for me. In theory I'm working on CoS in the meantime but in reality I have the sinking feeling I won't have gotten back to them before the next elf army is out.

• Like 1

So, the sisters battleset sold out within 1 minute and it crashed the uk store.

for those of us that went to our local store to support it by buying in store that sucked.

it got me thinking about the nuns with guns, and are they like brets and tomb kings, armies that people cried out for because they couldn’t get them anymore?

and i mean this in the context of people not buying or dismissing the army as sub par when it was out - thus never spending a penny supporting it.

I wonder how this army will sell after the initial frenzy has died off?

for me i just wish they’d have been more canny about it.  I get the once its gone it’s gone, but you know what, why not just take pre-orders in your pre-order window and then you only kick off a production of that many units?

anyhoo, this now means i can focus all my monies on slaves and the new AoS imperial knights equivalent army thats on the horizon and not have to ever look at nuns with guns again.  :)

Edited by Kaleb Daark

The only reason Sisters of Battle were selling so badly before is that they wound up with an almost all metal legacy army with no plastics. Coupled to that their rules weren't update in ages. As a result they had very expensive models; old-style designs (which honestly were not bad but many people, given the choice, prefer plastic over metal) and outdated rules. 

Those who collected Sisters already had all the sisters they needed; whilst new people were shying away from them because of metal and price; whilst both were dissatisfied with the rules in general. 

I think they'll sell really strongly once they hit regular retail even once the frenzy is past. They are a solid option and they are a "marine style" that has a lot more difference than just a different marine colour scheme. 

• Like 1

I think GW need to be a bit better against Scalper though, like for hot item limit them to 1 per mail address to make it a bit harder.

Also I quite disappointed that their boxset heroes like the Loonboss on Cave squig and Skaven Bombardier haven't been release separately yet. like when the new tyrant came out with Feat of Bone I was like "well how long do we have to wait for this guy to come out separately I wonder".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, novakai said:

I think GW need to be a bit better against Scalper though, like for hot item limit them to 1 per mail address to make it a bit harder.

Also I quite disappointed that their boxset heroes like the Loonboss on Cave squig and Skaven Bombardier haven't been release separately yet. like when the new tyrant came out with Feat of Bone I was like "well how long do we have to wait for this guy to come out separately I wonder".

I am honestly surprised how long GW has left some of those models unreleased. Part of me wonders if its because they want to bring them out with a wave of other releases at the same time for that army; other times I just think that its almost like they've overlooked them. Another possibility is that the duel sets sold out WAY faster than they thought they would and the production slot for that model was timed for a slower drying up of the stock. Let's not forget that Wrath and Rapture is still on sale though we've no idea how many of those kits were produced nor if GW is even producing them still to keep them in stock

1 hour ago, Kaleb Daark said:

So, the sisters battleset sold out within 1 minute and it crashed the uk store.

for those of us that went to our local store to support it by buying in store that sucked.

My local store manager is pretty livid because he was going to have a midnight opening for the release and for people to pick up their orders but precisely nobody was able to get anything, and he had to spend the day telling everyone who came down to preorder that they were outta luck, which was literally everyone given that he didn't open til 1130, and it was sold out in minutes. Absurd, especially as we're going to be seeing a substantial number of them scalped on eBay for ludicrous prices in next to no time.

• Like 3

At least the new Sisters will be coming early in the new year - but yeah its a pain. Also I've noticed that the ebay scalpers are upping their profits too. Certainly when Gloomspite and that were around the sales on half a box weren't much more than half the box cost; with Ossiarchs I've seen them charging between £70 and up to £90 on ebay (and that was when there were still boxes up for grabs at some of the bigger online stores and on the highstreet). 

@Kirjava13 but the pre-orders went live at 10am? I can't help but feel that he set himself up to fail considering that GW were saying how fast this was going to sell out and all the prior boxes like that have sold out pretty darn fast close to the launch time. Then again even at 10am opening times once you add in lag for actually opening the door and such there often isn't "that" much time esp when everyone online already has their details entered and is probably using 3 or 4 tabs to try and get a least one order through. I know my local store manager on the Feast of Bones got about two or three orders in before they went out of pre-order stock online. Of course he did have two or three boxes get into the store itself a week later on launch day. 

13 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

It's the word 'giant' in the old world news post, and wild speculation.

I think that might have more to do about actually giving us information about Hysh, assuming thats what the hysh hysh thing was about and they weren't just trying to be funny. Although a gargant faction would be interesting, they could even kill two birds with one stone and have them be some kind of weird enlightened gargant faction from Hysh, I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got planned.

1 minute ago, Dirtnaps said:

I think that might have more to do about actually giving us information about Hysh, assuming thats what the hysh hysh thing was about and they weren't just trying to be funny. Although a gargant faction would be interesting, they could even kill two birds with one stone and have them be some kind of weird enlightened gargant faction from Hysh, I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got planned.

And if those gargants were almost as tall as the Archaon model or bigger like the bonegrinder giant that would be a painters dream :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

Although a gargant faction would be interesting, they could even kill two birds with one stone and have them be some kind of weird enlightened gargant faction from Hysh, I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got planned

Wouldn’t be that weird as it’s mentioned couple of times in the lore that sigmar worked together with intelligent gargants in the age of myth. So then being from the realm of light wouldn’t be a stretch. 

• Like 1

I have a sinking feeling the new chaos start collecting will be a limited release seems everything they are producing at the moment is. And if I I don't manage to get one of those I don't think I will continue with this hobby much longer. 

Imagine a sisters of battle collector who has collected the army for years. Thousands of them this day have managed to get nothing while ebay scalpers probably managed to order hundreds of boxes. 

GW really needs to stop these limited runs. It's generating a lot of Ill will. 

8 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Wouldn’t be that weird as it’s mentioned couple of times in the lore that sigmar worked together with intelligent gargants in the age of myth. So then being from the realm of light wouldn’t be a stretch. 

I believe Katakros was also sealed away by a Gargant in celestial armor for Sigmar.

5 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

I have a sinking feeling the new chaos start collecting will be a limited release seems everything they are producing at the moment is. And if I I don't manage to get one of those I don't think I will continue with this hobby much longer. 

Imagine a sisters of battle collector who has collected the army for years. Thousands of them this day have managed to get nothing while ebay scalpers probably managed to order hundreds of boxes. 

there not precedent for Start collecting boxes to be limited run though, they may run out but I am pretty sure those thing are in constant production

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

There’s no way a Start Collecting will be limited.